Mini handheld linux console :)

rufik

I was thinking about buying small handheld with keyboard that could be used for small linux terminal, for some quick administrative & diagnostic work (login here, login there, put some commands, see webpage for help, etc). Something inexpensive with small qwerty keyboard. Something like PocketCHIP or this DYI on RPI http://www.3ders.org/articles/20170409-zero-terminal-raspberry-pi-device-is-a-diy-handheld-linux-pc-in-a-3d-printed-case.html

Has anyone found or did such a thing? I wonder if I could use OPI/NanoPi/similar with 5-7 inch LCD (3:2 screen would be best IMHO), keyboard and LiPo battery from mobile, put it into 3-D printed case and run Armbian Desktop :)

3 hours ago, rufik said:

I was thinking about buying small handheld with keyboard that could be used for small linux terminal, for some quick administrative & diagnostic work (login here, login there, put some commands, see webpage for help, etc). Something inexpensive with small qwerty keyboard.

Sharp Zaurus SL-5500

• 3.5" with 240x320 pixel, 65,536 colors

• 64MB SDRAM 16MB Flash ROM

• QWERTY keyboard with slide cover

• One CompactFlash card slot (for wifi or network card)

• One SD card slot 

Developed in 2002 :lol: This thingie still works.. :P Why not an armbian board headless combined with a micro-usb to micro-usb cable to your phone? There's for sure an android app which can access a console over usb otg not?  This should then give you a 'full linux' using your phone as display/keyboard. 

You could easily do that with any SBC discussed in this forum, e.g. k1plus dual screen + bluetooth keyboard, or a zero plus 2 h5, 5 inch hdmi + bluetooh keyboard, or a pi zero with double 18650 batteries and a 2.4" screen

_7310726.JPG

_7310727.JPG

_7310728.JPG

I just realized that best option would be big cheap old smartphone with small full qwerty keyboard (BT or USB) - all together fitted into 3D printed case. Something like BB Key/Passport but under $100 possible.

I used a TRS80 model 100 portable as a Linux console simply to troll my friends.  :-)

I also have an old HP Jornada 720 and an NEC mobilepro 900, both have keyboards and in clamshell format.  I miss the "back pocket clamshell" form factor, maybe Pine64 is listening?  :-P. I was recently looking for LCD's to swap in with a connector-depopulated board, 640x240 is not something you find...  :lol: