rk3288 or rk3328 which is fastest?

renky

Ones a quad core 1.8GHz A17 and the other is a quad core 1.5GHz A53.

For most tasks you'll probably find the 3288 to be faster. It's got a faster GPU. 4x the L2 cache, dual-channel memory bus

The A53 has crypto extensions though, so VPN/SSL/etc will be faster.

The 3288 is a high-end ARMv7 SoC, the 3328 is a low-end ARMv8 SoC.

8 hours ago, renky said:

If running debian is the rk3288 or rk3328 fastest?

Impossible to answer if you don't tell your use case.

1 hour ago, chrisf said:

Ones a quad core 1.8GHz A17 and the other is a quad core 1.5GHz A53

https://github.com/ThomasKaiser/sbc-bench/blob/master/Results.md

If the RK3288 claims to run at 1.8 GHz it's less than 1730 MHz in reality and until recently all Linux OS images for RK3328 were limited to 1.3 GHz. We changed this just recently in Armbian (nightlies) and enabled the '1.4 GHz OPP' (1380 MHz in reality) by default while with ayufan images you need to enable higher cpufreq OPP yourself.

So usually it's 1726 vs. 1286 MHz which doesn't matter that much since

• as you pointed out the RK3288 uses high-end ARM cores while the RK3328 relies on slow A53
  • single-threaded peak performance of the RK3288 at '1.8 GHz' is ~1550 7-zip MIPS while RK3328 scores ~1000 at '1.4 GHz'
  • sustained CPU performance with the RK3288 without huge heatsink (or fan) will pretty fast drop down to RK3328 levels or below. The RK3288 generates way more heat
  • it's always about 'use case first' -- for a 'Desktop Linux' totally different performance metrics are important compared to the 'NAS use case' or when the board should serve as a VPN endpoint.

4 hours ago, chrisf said:

3288 is a high-end ARMv7 SoC

You made me curious so I searched a bit and found this interesting information... if it is true:

It integrates four Cortex-A12 cores clocked at up to 1.8 GHz. ARM calls these cores Cortex-A17 due to them having very similar performance levels.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Rockchip-RK3288-SoC-Benchmarks-and-Specs.148374.0.html

you don't tell your use case.

On https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-shipping-7-Inch-Android-4-4-Fashion-notebook-HDMI-Laptop-inch-Dual-Core-VIA-HDMI/4362013_32893471150.html

you can buy a 7 inch display notebook.

There is also a 10 inch display version.

I am trying to determine which mainboard I would have the notebook to have. If main priorities are free software

cf free software foundation's requirements and performance adequate for common debian utilization. To me it

is at the same time having a running browser. 5 open tabs. One showing a youtube video. File manager

running. Email client running. Running libre office or a media player or photo editor.

It seems rk cpus are the ones to select among. If choosing between the rk3288 and rk3328 the

rk3328 is the better choice?

Can you answer if the free vpu software will work on the rock64 rk3328?

the best choice for a notebook?