Armbian not detect eMMC drive on ASUS Tinker board S

xxavi

Hi ,

I have an ASUS Tinker board S and I installed Armbian 5.54 on SD card.

Then, I want work on eMMC drive of ASUS Tinker board S but, Armbian no detect it.

How can I work with eMMC drive in Armbian ?

Here my board info:
http://ix.io/1j2Z

Thanks, see you.

15 hours ago, xxavi said:

Then, I want work on eMMC drive of ASUS Tinker board S but, Armbian no detect it.

I checked once again. You need to flash Armbian directly to eMMC (as described at the download page). Installation from SD card is not supported ATM.

10 minutes ago, Igor said:

I checked once again. You need to flash Armbian directly to eMMC (as described at the download page). Installation from SD card is not supported ATM.

Hi @Igor,

In the same jumper scenario, Tinker OS detect and can work on eMMC drive. Any idea ?

Thanks, see you.

26 minutes ago, xxavi said:

Any idea ?

We only support eMMC on a modern 4.14.y kernel the way it's written ... while Tinker OS uses the old 4.4.y kernel, which is currently broken and we can't build it, use as refference.  There are bits for eMMC in our kernel ...  BTW. Flashing directly to eMMC takes 15-20 seconds which is magnitude faster than nand-sata-install way.

At least once you will need to use this method, to update u-boot on your eMMC. Next time it should work.

3 minutes ago, Igor said:

We only support eMMC on a modern 4.14.y kernel the way it's written ... while Tinker OS uses the old 4.4.y kernel, which is currently broken and we can't build it, use as refference.  There are bits for eMMC in our kernel ...  BTW. Flashing directly to eMMC takes 15-20 seconds which is magnitude faster than nand-sata-install way.

At least once you will need to use this method, to update u-boot on your eMMC. Next time it should work.

Hi @Igor,

I use Armbian 5.54 version, which is 4.14.y kernel. Then, I not understand why Armbian 5.54 not detect eMMC drive when Tinker OS ( with 4.4.y kernel ) detect it outside flashing in eMMC drive.

Thanks for yours answers and information. See you.

3 hours ago, xxavi said:

I use Armbian 5.54 version, which is 4.14.y kernel.

But you must be using Tinkerboard bootloader, which resists on eMMC, to boot Armbian.

3 hours ago, xxavi said:

I not understand why

Me neither, but don't have time to investigate deeper and TinkerOS problems are not mine.  Kernel 4.4 and 4.14 are very different. Read this regarding boot priorities: https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Setup 

But ... I am 100% sure that booting from eMMC works if you follow instructions on the download page. That's important at this point.

15 minutes ago, Igor said:

But you must be using Tinkerboard bootloader, which resists on eMMC, to boot Armbian.

Me neither, but don't have time to investigate deeper and TinkerOS problems are not mine.  Kernel 4.4 and 4.14 are very different. Read this regarding boot priorities: https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Setup 

But ... I am 100% sure that booting from eMMC works if you follow instructions on the download page. That's important at this point.

Hi @Igor,

I dont think we understand each other.

I said that in the same scenario.

Tinker board SBC, S model and, install Armbian 5.54 as TinkerOS only on SD card, TinkerOS detect the eMMC drive and Armbian 5.54 not detect it, then why Armbian not detect in the same scenario ? Better, Armbian with 4.14.y kernel not detect, TinkerOS with 4.4.y kernel yes detect it !!!

18 minutes ago, xxavi said:

I dont think we understand each other.

Yes, you don't understand me. Did you read what I wrote? Did you study this: https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Setup

19 minutes ago, xxavi said:

I said that in the same scenario.

Can you provide serial console logs for both cases? Then we can discuss this further.

When you insert SD card into Tinkerboard S and there is a bootable system on eMMC, this will boot first. That part is out of our control and that means you never actually boot Armbian properly.

3 hours ago, Igor said:

Yes, you don't understand me. Did you read what I wrote? Did you study this: https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Setup

Can you provide serial console logs for both cases? Then we can discuss this further.

When you insert SD card into Tinkerboard S and there is a bootable system on eMMC, this will boot first. That part is out of our control and that means you never actually boot Armbian properly.

Hi @Igor,

I study and understand it.

At this time, I not have any serial console adapter for collect the logs, sorry.

Thanks, see you.

2 hours ago, Myy said:

Could you connect a serial console to your Tinkerboard S and provide the output of the serial console ?

Hi @Myy ,

At this time, I not have any serial console adapter for collect the logs, sorry.

Thanks, see you.

There are a few patches that need to be implemented to get the Linux kernel on Tinker S to enable the eMMC if the jumper is in the "maskrom" position.  I pull the jumper as soon as U-boot is loaded from SD and that works.  I have not tried modifying them for mainline.

27 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

There are a few patches that need to be implemented to get the Linux kernel on Tinker S to enable the eMMC if the jumper is in the "maskrom" position.  I pull the jumper as soon as U-boot is loaded from SD and that works.  I have not tried modifying them for mainline.

Hi @TonyMac32,

In this scenario I have the jumper in "maskrom" position.

Any idea ?

Thanks, see you.

29 minutes ago, xxavi said:

Any idea ?

59 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

That is the answer to the idea.

As far as getting the image onto the device, attach the Tinker Board S to your PC with a microUSB cable (ideally to a power-ready port), and your PC will see 2 new drives.  Open etcher, and it will burn the image to the eMMC for you.  once etcher finishes, reboot, no jumpers.

OK, I just followed my own instructions with a new in-box board (had a spare) and with one currently flashed with armbian.  it works both ways:

- do not put the jumper in maskrom.  You need u-boot to enable UMS so etcher can flash the eMMC.

iozone of eMMC: @tkaiser if interested, I can't remember if this was shared yet.  

Command line used: iozone -e -I -a -s 100M -r 4k -r 16k -r 512k -r 1024k -r 16384k -i 0 -i 1 -i 2
	Output is in kBytes/sec
	Time Resolution = 0.000001 seconds.
	Processor cache size set to 1024 kBytes.
	Processor cache line size set to 32 bytes.
	File stride size set to 17 * record size.
                                                              random    random                                         
              kB  reclen    write  rewrite    read    reread    read     write     
          102400       4    32212    37213    36771    36971    23893    36212                                                          
          102400      16    60315    61679    69904    70326    64224    58809                                                          
          102400     512    71918    72275   116044   116542   113055    71026                                                          
          102400    1024    72041    71703   118508   118489   116860    71708                                                          
          102400   16384    68241    72212   132131   132147   131849    72001   

2 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

That is the answer to the idea.

As far as getting the image onto the device, attach the Tinker Board S to your PC with a microUSB cable (ideally to a power-ready port), and your PC will see 2 new drives.  Open etcher, and it will burn the image to the eMMC for you.  once etcher finishes, reboot, no jumpers.

Hi @TonyMac32,

OK, thanks but, I not want flash into eMMC drive, I only want use eMMC drive as data storage drive. For that I flash into SD card, boot from SD card and try to detect the eMMC drive but Armbian not detect it.

Ideas ?

Thanks. See you.

Just now, xxavi said:

I only want use eMMC drive as data storage drive.

I can't see the logic of that, the eMMC is twice as fast as the typical SD card, the system will run much better there, and you can then mount an SD card as storage. 

My opinion aside, that can't currently be done with the mainline/LTS kernel.

21 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

I can't see the logic of that, the eMMC is twice as fast as the typical SD card, the system will run much better there, and you can then mount an SD card as storage. 

My opinion aside, that can't currently be done with the mainline/LTS kernel.

Hi @TonyMac32,

Yes, of course.

This is a scenario. In same exact scenario in TinkerOS 2.0.7 all work fine ...

Anyway, thanks for yours answers and time !!! See you.