how nand-sata-install works

peter12

Hello, please,

1. how does nand-sata-install work in case my Armbian on microSD card is read-only mode?

2. Will nand-sata-install copy whole card to emmc or do I need to have read-write system on microSD card before I execute command? (I mean if it copy my OS from card properly and it will be also in read-only mode on emmc)

3. And I am I able somehow to write system to emmc from *.img file stored on sd card?

Many thanks

Your questions are not really clear ...

When booting from SDCard, it is mounted as read-write. Then, you execute nand-sata-install to install/copy the SDCard into eMMC, then halt the board, eject SDCard, re-cycle the power, it then boot from eMMC which is also mounted as read-write.

If you wish to have rootfs in read-only mode, you should search google for an overlayfs where rootfs is in read-only and the overlayfs in read-write.

On 8/13/2018 at 2:34 PM, martinayotte said:

Your questions are not really clear ...

When booting from SDCard, it is mounted as read-write. Then, you execute nand-sata-install to install/copy the SDCard into eMMC, then halt the board, eject SDCard, re-cycle the power, it then boot from eMMC which is also mounted as read-write.

My 

On 8/13/2018 at 2:34 PM, martinayotte said:

perfect! thank you! I really needed to know this :) because I have never done it before so I worried that I stuck with some unbootable device after this.  (so this were answers for 1. and 2.)

My third question - I am going to describe it. Normally I download armbian file from armbian.com website (it is  *.img file) and burn it on sd card and then I can boot device from this card. I preinstalled some software to armbian and I made my own .img file (from which I can burn sd cards). Now I would like to burn not sd card, but ideally boot from sd card and after that I want to burn this *.img image do emmc (so simply not burn the content of sd card but content of img file directly to emmc storage).

Is this possible somehow? 

(it saves me time when I will burn system to emmc on many boards)

It is technically possible, but maybe you will need to tweak few things manually before rebooting from eMMC, so I don't think it would be easier ...

You won't save time either, since you would still need many SDCards to burn several boards in parallel.

If only one boards burned at a time, simply re-use the same SDCard on each board and issue nand-sata-install.

14 hours ago, martinayotte said:

You won't save time either, since you would still need many SDCards to burn several boards in parallel.

Yes, I wanted to save time and burn boards in parallel. But it seems that I should burn e.g. 5 microsd cards and initiate nand-sata-install from them. If anybody knows easier and quickern way of doing it, please let me know. (I thought it will be so ease such as when I was burning many sd cards from one img file - I was able to get full system ready under 4 minutes. Seems this way and time save is not possible when emmc is used. )