andoru

Annoying fan noise on XU4

Does anyone know any way to fix the annoying way the fan works on this device? Even on idle load, the fan spins up every couple of minutes, keeps spinning for a few seconds, then turns off again, only to repeat a few minutes later. I can't even sleep in the same room the device is in...

I've tried using this: https://github.com/f1vefour/odroid-xu4-fan-control

And it hasn't really solved anything, as the fan cannot start on PWM values lower than 100... it instead makes squeaking noises. So having adjusted the script, nothing has really changed.

Is there something I could do to fix this in software? Perhaps something that doesn't involve getting the heatsink for it, or use a different fan. Currently I can't modify anything about the SBC due to the case I got for it...

I solved this problem temporarily by setting the CPU governor from "performance" to "conservative". This helped reduce the CPU temperature by at least 10°C

At least now the fan doesn't spin up as often, maybe once every 15-30 min.
I think I might also buy a Noctua NF-A4x10 fan to be able to reduce the temperature even more. 

Does anyone know if the Noctua fan fits on the same heatsink the stock fan came with?

6 hours ago, andoru said:

I think I might also buy a Noctua NF-A4x10 fan to be able to reduce the temperature even more. 

IMO rather get a large (perhaps official) heatsink. Stock XU4S , which is the exact same board, comes without fan by default.

8 hours ago, andoru said:

I solved this problem temporarily by setting the CPU governor from "performance" to "conservative". This helped reduce the CPU temperature by at least 10°C

Buying a fast board to operate it slow is an option? Really?

I would cap max frequency of the big cores from 2.0 GHz to 1.8 GHz or maybe 1.6GHz (/etc/default/cpufrequtils) and then check again. The upper DVFS operating points have to use a much higher voltage to get CPU cores working stable so the amount of heat the SoC dissipates at the top clockspeeds is much higher than slightly below.

I would prefer a 5% or 10% performance drop instead of running slow all the time.

And yeah, the fansink is a joke since not sufficient to provide appropriate cooling. With demanding workloads throttling will always occur (you can't run anything really heavy at 2.0 GHz with the fansink) and the sound is annoying.

BTW: To diagnose and optimize behaviour running 'armbianmonitor -m' in a shell is always a good idea.

In case the CPU cores run at high clockspeeds with ondemand even when idle this might be another occurence of 'sampling_rate' being inapppropriate with recent kernels.