Armbian for Amlogic S9xxx kernel 5.x

balbes150

On 12/5/2018 at 5:42 AM, olivluca said:

But the box is already booting from external media (sd/usb). If I use aml_autoscript.zip will it still work as it is working now? (i.e. no external media present boot from nand otherwise boot from external media)?

I don't want to lose the ability to boot coreelec/libreelec.

@olivluca

Good friend let me know did you get any results with the new kernel 4.xx in the armbian installation?
I've been trying for 1 months Install the Libreelec version of the @balbes150 kernel version 4.xx! Unsuccessfully
https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/12330-test-libreelec-images-with-kodi-18-for-s9xxx/?pageNo=21

I have the same box KI Pro (S905D)
If you got some success tell us how?
Thank you,

@erbas I didn't pursue this further. I'm currently running libreelec but with kernel 3.14, as it seems nobody has a working dtb for newer kernels and I'm not able to write one. With libreelec the dvb driver more or less works but worse than under android (with android I can tune both dvb-s/s2 muxes as well as dvb-t, with libreelec I have more difficulty tuning some dvb-s/s2 muxes and cannot tune dvb-t at all).

Perhaps later I'll try armbian again on this box, but for the time being libreelec it is.

hi @balbes150 first a big thank you for all your efforts - it is so nice to be able to use those easily available amlogic (and now rk3328 too) tv boxes as linux systems so easily! i have a question regarding your emmc install script: you are putting the beginning of the partition about 700mb after the beginning of the emmc device to avoid overwriting sensible stuff required for booting like the dtb etc. i guess - are those 700mb based on anything specific or is this just a good guess that that far nothing relevant should be anymore? do you have any more details what critical information required for booting is on the emmc and should not be overwritten - i think dtb and env are required for sure - anything else? a lot of thanks in advance and best wishes - hexdump

17 hours ago, olivluca said:

@erbas Eu não insisti nisso. Atualmente, estou executando o libreelec, mas com o kernel 3.14, já que parece que ninguém tem um dtb funcional para os kernels mais recentes e não consigo escrever um. Com o libreelec o driver dvb mais ou menos funciona mas pior que no android (com o android eu consigo sintonizar tanto o dvb-s / s2 muxes quanto o dvb-t, com libreelec tenho mais dificuldade de sintonizar alguns muxes dvb-s / s2 e não sintonizar dvb-t em tudo).

Talvez mais tarde eu tente novamente o armbian nesta caixa, mas por enquanto é libreelec.

O novo constrói o LibreELEC de @ balbes150  com o Kernel 4.xx por trás do
teste dvb!
Incluindo meson-gxl-s905d-ki-pro.dtb
Eu queria testar este novo kernel
sem sucesso a imagem não sobe

Obrigado por responder @olivluca

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/12330-test-libreelec-images-with-kodi-18-for-s9xxx/?pageNo=1

1 hour ago, Reddwarf said:

Is it possible to download the source for the .dtb's that comes with the images? Where?

why shouldnt it possible to convert/decompile the .dtb to .dts withbthe command dtc (device tree compiler?)

Maybe for reconverting you have to install the right version of tge kernel-headers?

16 minutes ago, guidol said:

why shouldnt it possible to convert/decompile the .dtb to .dts withbthe command dtc (device tree compiler?)

Maybe for reconverting you have to install the right version of tge kernel-headers?

From my experience, I have done dtb->dts, modifed some code & converted back to dtb using dtc without any ill effects or kernel headers. YMMV

13 hours ago, hexdump said:

first a big thank you for all your efforts - it is so nice to be able to use those easily available amlogic (and now rk3328 too) tv boxes as linux systems so easily! i have a question regarding your emmc install script: you are putting the beginning of the partition about 700mb after the beginning of the emmc device to avoid overwriting sensible stuff required for booting like the dtb etc. i guess - are those 700mb based on anything specific or is this just a good guess that that far nothing relevant should be anymore? do you have any more details what critical information required for booting is on the emmc and should not be overwritten - i think dtb and env are required for sure - anything else? a lot of thanks in advance and best wishes - hexdump

https://github.com/150balbes/Build-Armbian/issues/8

11 hours ago, erbas said:

The new builds CoreELEC of @balbes150 with Kernel 4.xx behind

Do not enter people astray, I never did Coreelec and do not have this system any way. Version about which you write, this is a test Libreelec (core 4.20) with the addition of drivers DVB from the AFL1 (which is intended for the kernel 4.x).

3 hours ago, Reddwarf said:

Is it possible to download the source for the .dtb's that comes with the images? Where?

All DTS you can find here.

https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s905-kernel/tree/master/arch/arm64/boot/dts/amlogic

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

https://github.com/150balbes/Build-Armbian/issues/8

Do not enter people astray, I never did Coreelec and do not have this system any way. Version about which you write, this is a test Libreelec (core 4.20) with the addition of drivers DVB from the AFL1 (which is intended for the kernel 4.x).C

@balbes150

Calm down, boy! it was just a typo
Far from offending anyone here!

Already corrected

Uploaded to the site fixed version 5.72 for S905. Now in the kernel 4.20 has gxbb (S905) work sound HDMI. Additionally fixed DTB from Tronsmart Vega S95 (Pro Meta Telos). Now these files work.

2 hours ago, Reddwarf said:

Sorry for my ignorance but I don't see a choice named "RAW", I'm using Firefox browser.

To the right of the button "Raw" View" etc

Just now, balbes150 said:

Uploaded to the site fixed version 5.72 for S905. Now in the kernel 4.20 has gxbb (S905) work sound HDMI. Additionally fixed DTB from Tronsmart Vega S95 (Pro Meta Telos). Now these files work.

To the right of the button "Raw" View" etc

Ah I see it, was looking in the wrong place :lol: Thanks :)

Just got a Tanix TX9 Pro s912 3GB Ram

Runs great with sdcard Armbian_5.72_Aml-s912_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.20.2_desktop_20190124 & meson-gxm-q200.dtb

Missing the overlaid filesystem though. Doesn't seem to affect anything yet, so ok then

15 hours ago, gameseg said:

did I forget to include anything in my post that would prevent you from helping me resolving my slow eth0 speeds? I know I can't expect to receive help, per-se, but I'm hopeful to receive some help from you.

Such things are almost impossible to evaluate remotely, there can be a lot of different reasons (hardware and software).

tested 5.72 NEXT kernel 5.0 for s9xxx on MiniM8SII, all working except:

• some troubles with wifi, some times unstable
  • no sound over hdmi, hardware hdmi output not detected with pulseaudio
  • ir receiver not tested

thnx for your work balbes150

On 1/24/2019 at 11:07 PM, gameseg said:

Incredibly slow eth0 connection: 6.5Mbps down and 14Mbps upload.
Cable and equipment work great for all other devices. How do I fix?

If I had problems with a driver, I'd probably try going back a few kernel versions to see where the ethernet speed was OK or started faltering.
The name of the module should be listed (from a shell) in /sys/class/net/<ETHERNET IF NAME>/device/uevent .
If the kernel is at fault, possibly look at the source code and see if the developers/modifiers has an email address in the .c or .h files you could use to contact.
I find most device problems in Armbian are related to .dtb files or firmware files.
Having said that, have you tried ethtool under Armbian (assuming you get full speed when booted to android) and manually set the interface speed and duplex?

@balbes150 - would you be able to apply a kernel patch for me in your next build? It's for an older version of the kernel, but I don't think the diff would of changed since it was mainlined..?

The patch is located: 

https://github.com/ajaybhatia/Qualcomm-Atheros-QCA9377-Wifi-Linux/blob/master/qca9377_hw1.1_for_linux_4.4-rc2.patch

Thanks for the hard work either way. :D

Just now, Mashhup said:

@balbes150 - would you be able to apply a kernel patch for me in your next build? It's for an older version of the kernel, but I don't think the diff would of changed since it was mainlined..?

The patch is located: 

https://github.com/ajaybhatia/Qualcomm-Atheros-QCA9377-Wifi-Linux/blob/master/qca9377_hw1.1_for_linux_4.4-rc2.patch

Thanks for the hard work either way. :D

Have you tried kernel 5 images to see if it is fixed in those?

..after setup on card I installed Armbian_5.72_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_next_5.0.0-rc3-next-20190125-g494367cb5-dirty_desktop.img.xz onto eMMC. Boot takes a bit longer compared to previous installed version, but works pretty good on x96mini 2/16G with ethernet and usb sound.

19 hours ago, dbsharpe said:

If I had problems with a driver, I'd probably try going back a few kernel versions to see where the ethernet speed was OK or started faltering.
The name of the module should be listed (from a shell) in /sys/class/net/<ETHERNET IF NAME>/device/uevent .
If the kernel is at fault, possibly look at the source code and see if the developers/modifiers has an email address in the .c or .h files you could use to contact.
I find most device problems in Armbian are related to .dtb files or firmware files.
Having said that, have you tried ethtool under Armbian (assuming you get full speed when booted to android) and manually set the interface speed and duplex?

Yes, I ended up going back a few versions and used a USB instead of SD Card. I selected "Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_4.18.0-rc5_mate_20180806" and the eth0 speeds are excellent, as expected right around 75-100Mbps! So this is very good on my s905x A95x device. However, I cannot install to eMMC right now and need help with that. The step: "create-mbr-linux.sh" does not work for me, I get errors "no such file or directory". And if I go right for "nand-sata-install" I also get errors as: "Possibly non-existent device?". I'm attaching screenshots and would like help on how to install to eMMC please :]!

Is this the correct process for my s905x? It was not working for me:

Install Armbian to eMMC.

1. Be sure to activate multi-boot using the new image. If multiboot previously activated is required to repeat activation using files in a new image.

2. Run Armbian from external media, run "ddbr" and create full backup eMMC.

3. Execute script “/boot/create-mbr-linux.sh” (fails for me)

4. and install Armbian on eMMC execute script “/root/install.sh”. (fails for me)

What am I doing incorrectly? Or what do I need to change in order for this to work for me?

20190127_132447.jpg

20190127_132457.jpg

20190127_132523.jpg

1 hour ago, gameseg said:

3. Execute script “/boot/create-mbr-linux.sh” (fails for me)

4. and install Armbian on eMMC execute script “/root/install.sh”. (fails for me)

What am I doing incorrectly? Or what do I need to change in order for this to work for me?

I've not installed on emmc as I've never used usb burning tool to unbrick a tv box.
Not impressed with the write speed when mounting existing emmc flash partitions.
For example on my T95 S905, the data partion mmcblk0p14 based on the android boot information can be accessed with
mount -t ext4 /dev/mmcblk0 /mnt -o loop,offset=2545942528,sizelimit=5272240128

Can't suggest much with emmc apart from it will probably be a .dtb issue.

44 minutes ago, dbsharpe said:

I've not installed on emmc as I've never used usb burning tool to unbrick a tv box.
Not impressed with the write speed when mounting existing emmc flash partitions.
For example on my T95 S905, the data partion mmcblk0p14 based on the android boot information can be accessed with
mount -t ext4 /dev/mmcblk0 /mnt -o loop,offset=2545942528,sizelimit=5272240128

Can't suggest much with emmc apart from it will probably be a .dtb issue.

Maybe I'm experiencing a dtb issue - but I do not think so. It appears to me that the issue is related to the disk name "/dev/mmcblk0" vs "/dev/mmcblk1". Why is the shell script not picking up the correct disk? Must I change the disk name in every single shell script file?

Also, I bricked my device before the last post when I first attempted to install to the eMMC. I used the USB Burning Tool and it worked fine. I also used the SD Card Tool and it worked fine. I can vouch for both methods working just fine. If you follow the instructions exactly as specified, you will un-brick the device without issue. Just be sure to follow the correct folder hierarchy, for the specific software versions and instructions, and you won't have a problem.

HOWEVER, I will add - DO NOT use an AV Receiver when un-bricking. You MUST be directly connected to a monitor via HDMI. The s905x could not detect a monitor when I was connected to an Onkyo receiver (e.g., s905 > hdmi > Onkyo AV Receiver > hdmi > TV = BAD). You must use the following setup I've discovered (s905 > hdmi > monitor = GOOD). I struggled with that for 2 hours...