Armbian for Amlogic S9xxx kernel 5.x

balbes150

On 2/8/2019 at 11:19 AM, amirul said:

After an update, X segfaults after a while running 5.73

Seems that its a tv fault. Switching to a different TV cured it.

Still with weird screen blanking, using meson-gxbb-p201.dtb from 5.60 is better

Not quite, no sound with that one :-(

On 1/31/2019 at 2:47 AM, AndrewDB said:

I have a question for anybody who also has a Mecool KM8 P S912 box: have you been able to boot any Armbian image with a 4.xx Linux kernel? What dtb file did you use? I have been unable to boot anything other than the 3.14.29 kernel on these S912 boxes. Thanks for any answer on this issue.

Try this image on your model with all the DTBS for GXM and GXL (from the image) and from the additional dtb directory on the site.

https://yadi.sk/d/hRUuqDX4U7LiLA

On 1/31/2019 at 7:47 AM, AndrewDB said:

I have a question for anybody who also has a Mecool KM8 P S912 box: have you been able to boot any Armbian image with a 4.xx Linux kernel? What dtb file did you use? I have been unable to boot anything other than the 3.14.29 kernel on these S912 boxes. Thanks for any answer on this issue.

I have the Mecool KM8 P s912. (3 of them) I am using the latest Armbian_5.67_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.19.0-rc7_desktop_20181117 with i think from memory q201  .dtb .

Are you aware this version of Armbian needs a .ini file to be edited? Instead of replacing the .dtb file like the older images?

13 hours ago, amirul said:

Not quite, no sound with that one :-(

I'd try the .dtb filename your using from another .img build (more recent). I've found this works for me. Comparing the decompiled .dts source, the only difference was positioning of some statements in the structure (TBH, I pull the /boot and /lib/modules/ files out of the image when a new one is released).

On 2/8/2019 at 8:28 PM, balbes150 said:

I looked at the description and details. perhaps something and make with this equipment. But for this i'm need to have real equipment available for development and testing. I wrote to the manufacturer, if he is interested in supporting this model on the Armbian platform, then it is possible to make a working system for this model.

Well that would be great :) We can only hope...

Ok, so I did som testing with the 5.75 S905 images on my MiniM8S (S905). The Ubuntu variant boots from SD-card but complains that it has no support for the cards voltage. Changed to USB boot and is able to start Linux. WiFi works, no BT, no ethernet and no sound. If I connect external soundcard (usb) sound works. With external BT-dongle BT works. Video plays smooth and beautifully also in fullscreen just by doubleclicking the test video.

The Debian variant won't boot from SD-card, from USB it seems to start booting but dies after a minute or so.

Some curious observations. All test on latest 5.75 bionic desktop image screen resolution 1080p(generic s905x tv box)

Spoiler

https://i.imgur.com/H60AxX1.png - firefox 65(aarch64) zero drops, smooth playback 1080p youtube video in browser(still high cpu usage make sure you have good cooling)

https://i.imgur.com/jd88Xgp.png- chromium 71(aarch64) a large frames drop, not smooth playback

42 minutes ago, talraash said:

Some curious observations. All test on latest 5.75 bionic desktop image screen resolution 1080p(generic s905x tv box)

Hide contents

https://i.imgur.com/H60AxX1.png - firefox 65(aarch64) zero drops, smooth playback 1080p youtube video in browser(still high cpu usage make sure you have good cooling)

https://i.imgur.com/jd88Xgp.png- chromium 71(aarch64) a large frames drop, not smooth playback

That might be due to poor programming in chromium, how does the test video run for you?

21 minutes ago, Reddwarf said:

That might be due to poor programming in chromium, how does the test video run for you?

Not sure. Rather, the problem is in different compilation flags. Half a year ago, the situation was reversed, in favor of chromium.  Looks like chromium use hardlocked gpu acceleration options and video decoding use sw opengl.

I tested versions only from repositories, and it is not known who compilated them and how.  Test video from balbes150 smooth. My own sample h264 720p and 1080p looks ok too.  As before but now it work out of box(no need run video with flags --vo --sws-scaler manually)

1 hour ago, talraash said:

Not sure. Rather, the problem is in different compilation flags. Half a year ago, the situation was reversed, in favor of chromium. 

I tested versions only from repositories, and it is not known who compilated them and how.  Test video from balbes150 smooth. My own sample h264 720p and 1080p looks ok too. 

Mmmmm, maybe download the source and compile it yourself?

56 minutes ago, Reddwarf said:

Mmmmm, maybe download the source and compile it yourself?

Is it necessary? Firefox work fine with multimedia, next build of chromium may also be fine.  Chromium is very resource intensive at compile time(one build with compiliting time ~3 hours need 16 threads cpu ~ 32Gb ram and ~100 gb storage on ssd).

1 minute ago, talraash said:

Is it necessary? Firefox work fine with multimedia, next build of chromium may also be fine.  Chromium is very resource intensive at compile time(one build with compiliting time ~3 hours need 16 threads cpu ~ 32Gb ram and ~100 gb storage on ssd).

Ah! No maybe not...

Hi,

I'm going NUTS here,

I *did* manage to get 3.14 going but,

I'm trying to boot Armbian images  any of the 4.1x/5.x images onto my M8Spro (s912/3G ram) and none boot. (have console output, and tried all the images/combinations 5.4x/5.5x/5.7x of Armbian )

None boot up. they all block at 'uboot time:  ?????? us.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong, but where/what ?

Help!

Thanks!

PS:

Previously to the uboot message, this is shown:

## Flattened Device Tree blob at 01000000
   Booting using the fdt blob at 0x1000000
libfdt fdt_path_offset() returned FDT_ERR_NOTFOUND
[rsvmem] fdt get prop fail.
   Loading Ramdisk to b37f9000, end b3ea107f ... OK
   Loading Device Tree to 000000001fff6000, end 000000001ffffa8e ... OK
fdt_instaboot: no instaboot image

Starting kernel ...

uboot time: 6961815 us

Hi Guys, i have a "MINI M8S PRO Amlogic S912 3GB RAM 32GB ROM 5.0G WIFI 100M LAN Bluetooth 4.1 TV Box" i would like to know if i can install armbian and if you can suggest a guide to follow for the installation.

Thank you a lot

Hello Guys I am new to this forum and I want to ask if there is any possibility to install armbian on T95Z Plus and how? I have downloaded USB_Burning_Tool, I have installed and plug the T95Z Plus to usb port, it detected it but when I tried to load an image (raspbian or armbian) displayed a message that "parsing of the image failed". I read on this thread that Armbian images are not intended to be downloaded via USB BT, but my T95Z is not even booting to its main menu it stuck to the intro video

Any suggestions?

25 minutes ago, chatzich said:

Hello Guys I am new to this forum and I want to ask if there is any possibility to install armbian on T95Z Plus and how? I have downloaded USB_Burning_Tool, I have installed and plug the T95Z Plus to usb port, it detected it but when I tried to load an image (raspbian or armbian) displayed a message that "parsing of the image failed". I read on this thread that Armbian images are not intended to be downloaded via USB BT, but my T95Z is not even booting to its main menu it stuck to the intro video

Any suggestions?

I got mine running by following this

Hi guys,

i have this tv box AZW Mini M8S PRO

CPU:Amlogic S912 Octa Core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU up to            2GHz(DVFS)

GPU:ARM Mali-T820MP3 GPU up to 750MHz(DVFS)

i would like to know if this mega.nz file are ok  armbian 5.73 s912

Where i can find a steps guide or a video that describe the steps to run  the linux on my box?

But i i burn in a sd card and i reboot the tv box i do not install but i run from sd the linux, is that right?

TO permanent install in the eMMC i must run the install.sh script, is that right?

thank you a lot

Having an issue on several devices that @balbes150 you might have some insight into.

I have several devices that when i try to install to the eMMC it get this error and then it moves everything to the lost and found folder. I've been able to fix a few by just booting into GParted and deleting the partitions on the drive, reinstalling and it seems to work. But I have a few that refuse to allow any 4.xx kernal version to be installed locally. If i revert back to a 3.14 kernel version, it works fine.  Any ideas?

IMG_20190213_153228.thumb.jpg.3c1f18aac4e3382b9abc53015a1f3522.jpg

On 2/10/2019 at 12:10 PM, balbes150 said:

Try this image on your model with all the DTBS for GXM and GXL (from the image) and from the additional dtb directory on the site.

https://yadi.sk/d/hRUuqDX4U7LiLA

Thank you Oleg. I tried the image with various DTB's for GXM and GXL, but still nothing. I have ordered a UART cable and will solder it to the UART pads on one of the Km8 P TV boxes I have here (opened it already and the UART pads are clearly labeled on the PCB).

On 2/10/2019 at 1:29 PM, Seasalt said:

I have the Mecool KM8 P s912. (3 of them) I am using the latest Armbian_5.67_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.19.0-rc7_desktop_20181117 with i think from memory q201  .dtb .

Are you aware this version of Armbian needs a .ini file to be edited? Instead of replacing the .dtb file like the older images?

Thank you Seasalt. Unfortunately that image is not available anymore. And yes I am aware that uEnv.ini needs to be edited to select the correct dtb. :thumbup:

10 hours ago, AndrewDB said:

Thank you Seasalt. Unfortunately that image is not available anymore. And yes I am aware that uEnv.ini needs to be edited to select the correct dtb. :thumbup:

@AndrewDB i don't understand this "select the correct dtb" ... what is the .dtb file? How i can understand which DTB file is correct for my tv box ?  

PS my tv box is AZW Mini M8S PRO Amlogic S912 ;)

New version 5.75 of the image and script.  dir s905_mali

Simplified use of the script. Once your image is running nominally for Armbian need to download, unzip and run the script. After the script finishes, reboot the system. If after reboot there will be no sound, you need to perform, on behalf of the ROOT user, one command

update-initramfs -v -c -k `uname -r`

and reboot the system. No other additional steps or commands are required.  Please note that the new version of the script works only with this version of the image (which is with him on the site in the same directory).

54 minutes ago, mitico said:

@AndrewDB i don't understand this "select the correct dtb" ... what is the .dtb file? How i can understand which DTB file is correct for my tv box ?  

PS my tv box is AZW Mini M8S PRO Amlogic S912 ;)

You have to read a little bit on the internet about "device tree", google for "Linux device tree" and read a few documents, then you'll understand.

15 hours ago, balbes150 said:

New version 5.75 of the image and script.  dir s905_mali

Simplified use of the script. Once your image is running nominally for Armbian need to download, unzip and run the script. After the script finishes, reboot the system. If after reboot there will be no sound, you need to perform, on behalf of the ROOT user, one command

update-initramfs -v -c -k 'uname -r'

and reboot the system. No other additional steps or commands are required.  Please note that the new version of the script works only with this version of the image (which is with him on the site in the same directory).

Tested the image on my MiniM8S (s905), ran the script, rebooted no sound, ran update-initramfs -v -c -k 'uname -r' ('uname -r' does not work, had to type the version) still no sound unless I connect an external soundcard via usb. Testvideo plays smooth and nice.