Armbian for Amlogic S9xxx kernel 5.x

balbes150

I have updated my s912 Mecool Km8 to the latest Babes Ubuntu version.

It all works very very well. Including Video playback.

But there is one small new problem. When I boot up there is a inordinate delay before the login screen appears.

It could be minutes before the login screen appears. It may appear faster if you click the mouse or keyboard. Is any one having a similar problem?

2 hours ago, Seasalt said:

But there is one small new problem. When I boot up there is a inordinate delay before the login screen appears.

It could be minutes before the login screen appears. It may appear faster if you click the mouse or keyboard. Is any one having a similar problem?

I'm running Armbian_5.77_Aml-s912_Ubuntu_bionic_default_5.0.2_20190318 on a BM8 s912. It does seem to take its time launching startx but not minutes. After that it seems to be fine.

3 hours ago, Seasalt said:

I have also experienced that, it's the kernel random generator that requires a source of entropy to initialize the driver. There are a number of workarounds , google for it.

I have a Beelink GT1 (not Ultimate) with 2GB RAM and 16GB storage.

I tried installing the 5.77 build but can't seem to get to the desktop (I've tried many of the DTBs to no avail). On CoreElec I use gxm_q201_2g.dtb but that file itself caused issues.

Has anyone gotten Beelink GT1 to work? All of the posts I searched from Beelink GT1 users are from several years ago. 

5 hours ago, AndrewDB said:

I have also experienced that, it's the kernel random generator that requires a source of entropy to initialize the driver. There are a number of workarounds , google for it.

The delay before Login in babes s912 Armbian has only appeared in the last few weeks.

Why was the source of en-trophy Ok before and now delayed?

19 minutes ago, Seasalt said:

The delay before Login in babes s912 Armbian has only appeared in the last few weeks.

Seems that the entropy daemon haveged fails to start with recent kernels. I find that adding --data=16 to DAEMON_ARGS in /etc/defaults/haveged allows the daemon to start successfully.

Previously, I used it on s905 / s912 installed on the micro sd-card (kernel 3.14). Very happy.

Following the news @balbes150 about tested S905X2, I bought the T95Q (S905X2) and downloaded 5.77_20190408 to write on the sd-card but boot failed.

I think I must understand something wrong. Please introduce me.

Thank you.

11 hours ago, Seasalt said:

There are many possible reasons for that.

On 4/21/2019 at 4:57 AM, NicoD said:

It performs very badly with the N2.
It's about 50% of what it should be.

This is the primary version (alpha) there is still a lot of it does not work as needed.

8 hours ago, chaijate said:

Following the news @balbes150 about tested S905X2, I bought the T95Q (S905X2) and downloaded 5.77_20190408 to write on the sd-card but boot failed. 

Have you seen the information that this model is supported ?

1 hour ago, gandolfi said:

in order to have a media player center i have used coreelec with minixmx s905. I think is an armbian base.

Armbian has nothing to do with coreelec. These systems are incompatible.

4 hours ago, balbes150 said:

This is the primary version (alpha) there is still a lot of it does not work as needed.

It's great to have another option. Only problems I found was no on-board audio(usb audio adapter worked) and no cpu control.
Otherwise it's solid.
I'll keep an eye open on the progress. I red with kernel 5.2 cpu control will be enabled. Then it's perfect for me.

I've put a lot of time into trying to get zram/swap to work with the Odroid kernel without any luck. With yours it works, so I know this will be ok in the future with Armbian.
Thanks.

23 minutes ago, NicoD said:

It's great to have another option. Only problems I found was no on-board audio(usb audio adapter worked) and no cpu control.
Otherwise it's solid.
I'll keep an eye open on the progress. I red with kernel 5.2 cpu control will be enabled. Then it's perfect for me.

I've put a lot of time into trying to get zram/swap to work with the Odroid kernel without any luck. With yours it works, so I know this will be ok in the future with Armbian.

Sound through HDMI and the rest is there , but it is WIP and not yet for public use. :)

5 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

Sound through HDMI and the rest is there , but it is WIP and not yet for public use. :)

Great job. Any idea when you'll release?
I'm gathering information for a review video about the N2. Ubuntu Mate has too many problems to advice to use for productivity use. Meveric's Stretch is better but swap/zram also ain't working.

With that working in your Armbian I think Armbian is the best image for productivity with the N2.

15 minutes ago, NicoD said:

I'm gathering information for a review video about the N2. Ubuntu Mate has too many problems to advice to use for productivity use. Meveric's Stretch is better but swap/zram also ain't working.

With that working in your Armbian I think Armbian is the best image for productivity with the N2.

Kernel N2 for Armbian is the result of joint work BayLibre and developer community Libreelec (we work together closely). It takes time for everything to look finished. Only then will the publication.

3 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Good news. I checked the work Armbian on the model Beelink GT1 mini (S905X2). The system starts normally with dtb from x96max, works wired network, HDMI, BT, eMMC, SD and USB.

How's performance compared to RK3399?

Here near Chicago have been able to purchase the S912 (two of them) for around $60 each.  

One is a running KODI Coreelec box and doing OK with older kernal.  The other is going to be a combo automation server.

Looking next to purchase an RK3399 although these are closer and above $100 these days. 

Hopefully soon will find one with a Gb NIC, 4Gb of RAM, USB 3.0, 64Gb eMMC built in for $60 USD.

53 minutes ago, Petee said:

Hopefully soon will find one with a Gb NIC, 4Gb of RAM, USB 3.0, 64Gb eMMC built in for $60 USD.

I agree, I think the N2 s922x is about $70. But I already have a M4 RK3399 and I do not see any compelling reason to buy another early in development board.

I have been very happy with my s912 $28 Mecool KM8 1gb ram boards running Babes Armbian . I find they are a lot of fun and am able to do one computer task well but are a bit slow on two tasks or Web surfing useless.

Did a nightly build update to the second TV Box here (TX9 Pro - Octocore, 3Gb, 1Gb NIC) and it is working well.  Only thing though when logging in to the computer see the following stuff relating to RockPro64 changing from S912 standard release logo when logging in.

____            _    ____               __   _  _   
|  _ \ ___   ___| | _|  _ \ _ __ ___    / /_ | || |  
| |_) / _ \ / __| |/ / |_) | '__/ _ \  | '_ \| || |_
|  _ < (_) | (__|   <|  __/| | | (_) | | (_) |__   _|
|_| \_\___/ \___|_|\_\_|   |_|  \___/   \___/   |_|  

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.82.190423 nightly Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS 5.1.0-rc1-aml-s912   
System load:   0.00 0.00 0.00      Up time:       8:33 hours        
Memory usage:  10 % of 2840MB     Zram usage:    1 % of 1023Mb     IP:            192.168.244.150
CPU temp:      44°C               
Usage of /:    14% of 29G        

Last login: Thu Apr 25 00:25:58 2019 from 192.168.244.232

Running a couple of automation pieces of software, docker and mono (CPU sucker)..it is hardly working...headless

Found the configuration file for the MOTD here:

/etc/armbian-release

# PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
BOARD=rockpro64
BOARD_NAME="RockPro 64"
BOARDFAMILY=rockchip64
VERSION=5.82.190423
LINUXFAMILY=rockchip64
BRANCH=default
ARCH=arm64
IMAGE_TYPE=nightly
BOARD_TYPE=conf
INITRD_ARCH=arm64
KERNEL_IMAGE_TYPE=Image

/etc/update-motd.d/10-armbian-header

printf '\nWelcome to \e[0;91mARMBIAN\x1B[0m %s %s %s %s\n' "$VERSION $IMAGE_TYPE $PRETTY_NAME $KERNELID"

Changed the file above such that I see this when I log on.
 _

___  ___  _ ____  
/ ___|/ _ \/ |___ \
\___ \ (_) | | __) |
 ___) \__, | |/ __/
|____/  /_/|_|_____|

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.82.190423 nightly Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS 5.1.0-rc1-aml-s912   
System load:   0.13 0.18 0.23      Up time:       7:09 hours        
Memory usage:  31 % of 2840MB     IP:            192.168.244.149
CPU temp:      47°C               
Usage of /:    18% of 29G        

Last login: Fri Apr 26 08:16:38 2019 from 192.168.244.231

root@ICS-TX9:~#

Box is doing well running Docker, Home Assistant, Node Red, HomeSeer, Mosquitto.  I have it connected to a Leviton OmniPro 2 security panel which also does automation via X10, UPB, Zigbee and ZWave.  Doing WiFi using Tasmota and Espurna firmware for 1-wire temperature sensors, LED controllers, et al. This was all originally running on an XiS Xi5a dual AMD cube, then on a Pine64 and today on the TX9.  I am impressed so far with the performance I see. 

On 4/23/2019 at 5:04 PM, balbes150 said:

Good news. I checked the work Armbian on the model Beelink GT1 mini (S905X2). The system starts normally with dtb from x96max, works wired network, HDMI, BT, eMMC, SD and USB.

which version of armbian do you used? 

4 hours ago, balbes150 said:

New image ver 5.82 S9xxx and Odroid N2

Can any one tell me the compelling reasons to create a new sd boot disk for my s912 Mecool with the new 5.82 S9xxx Armbian Bionic.

Also what is the difference between Next version and default..

Thanks

Seasalt.

On 4/22/2019 at 9:18 PM, NicoD said:

New image DEV for Odroid N2  with kernel 4.9 (regular kernel from HK). The sound works and everything else should work (I didn't check).

Please note that in this version the functions are managed in the file "boot.ini"

30 minutes ago, Peyton said:

In fact i'm a bit confuse too as the folder is 9xx but the image is 905. Can we use it with 912 and do as always with the dtb file ? Thanks.

Yes, all images are universal and you can ignore the name.