Armbian for Amlogic S9xxx kernel 5.x

balbes150

19 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Good news. I tried installing the latest version of Armbian on VIM with the new u-boot-2018 in eMMC. Everything works. If write a last option Armbian (20180925) to the USB drive, the system starts from USB stick. That is, now you can have a new u-boot-2018 in eMMC and run any test system from USB media (Armbian Libreelec OpenSYSE etc ). Pay attention. The steps to configure the system to run from external media using u-boot-2018 have changed. Now you do NOT NEED to manually copy the dtb. You need to make changes to the text file “/extlinux/extlinux.conf”  . You must change the string with the name of the dtb you are using. The list of available files (name) can be seen in the "/dtb" directory. By default, the settings specify dtb for VIM1 (S905X). To use the new images with VIM2 (S912), you must correct the file name dtb for VIM2.

To install in the eMMC the latest version Armbian changed steps. Now you need to run only one installation script. To install with the old version of u-boot-2015, you need to run the script “/root/install.sh”. To install in the eMMC with uboot-2018, you need to first rename one of the existing files on the media "Sxxx-uboot.img" to “uboot.img” (select the option for your model). After renaming the file “uboot.img”, to install Armbian in eMMC, you need to run the script “/root/install-2018.sh”.

Pay attention. All tests of the new u-boot-2018 are performed on Khadas VIM and VIM2. I don't know how it will work on other models. Therefore installation in eMMC with replacement of regular u-boot on u-boot-2018, you do your own risk. I take no responsibility for your choices.

Burned the bionic verison to usbdrive. The extlinux.conf way didn't boot but the good old dtb.img way worked. I'm using the boxes as cheap X terminals and so far they're working great. At under $100 per seat, what's not to like, keeps getting better and better with each new image.

BTW love the videos that come with the images :-)

49 minutes ago, amirul said:

The extlinux.conf way didn't boot

This setting applies only to u-boot-2018.

After installing u-boot-2018 in eMMC, there are no other options to run other than using "extlinux.conf " or build a special script "boot.scr" .

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

This setting applies only to u-boot-2018.

After installing u-boot-2018 in eMMC, there are no other options to run other than using "extlinux.conf " or build a special script "boot.scr" .

I see, thanks for clearing that up. There is only s905x and s912 uboot.img files. What about s905?

1 hour ago, amirul said:

I see, thanks for clearing that up. There is only s905x and s912 uboot.img files. What about s905?

In the process ....

To all

Added to the site a test version with the kernel next-4.19.0-rc5 (directory Test\20180926)

The new version 20180928.

Major change. A new algorithm for the use of the dtb. Starting with this version, you no longer need to copy the dtb files and rename it to "dtb.img." In order to specify which dtb file to use, you need to edit the file 'uEnv.ini" (specify the desired file name for use dtb). This is a plain text file and can be easily edited. This change will make it easy to update the kernel from the "deb" file in the future. The new algorithm is now used in the eMMC system installation script.

Pay attention. To use the system with

u-boot-2015 (regular firmware Android), you need to edit the file "uEnv.ini"

When using

u-boot-2018, you need to edit the file "/extlinux/extlinux.conf"

For those who doubt or do not know what u-boot is used, you can specify the desired name in both files at the same time.

On 9/6/2018 at 3:36 AM, amirul said:

Hi everyone,

First of all thanks for the awesome builds. Had success with the S805 and S905 images with framebuffer display. Now trying the hardware accelerated builds.

So far..

Do you have success with S805 using 4.18 kernel ?  How?

4 hours ago, Titot said:

Do you have success with S805 using 4.18 kernel ?  How?

No with s805 I'm using the 3.xx kernel as per the downloaded image. Works well enough for my purposes (as an x2goclient station), I haven't messed with it much

Hello!
I use Tanix TX92 Amlogic S912 TV Box (Amlogic S912 Octa-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU, 2GB DDR3 + 16GB eMMC, Interface: DC Power

Port, Ethernet, HDMI, SPDIF, TF card, 2xUSB2.0).
I recorded Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Debian_stretch_3.14.29_icewm_20180601.img to SD-card.
Loaded, changed the root password, after the reboot, the screen blinked with the boot messages in the console, did not

understand, I decided to try more recent images:
Armbian_5.60_Aml-s9xxx_Debian_stretch_default_4.18.7_desktop_20180928.img recorded to SD. Download comes to login,
and the keyboard doesn't work.
Armbian_5.60_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.18.7_desktop_20180928.img recorded on USB-flash. Download comes to
alternating messages:
usb usb1-port2: connect-debounce failed
usb usb1-port1: connect-debounce failed
Armbian_5.60_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_default_4.18.7_desktop_20180928.img is the same.
The fastest loaded:
Gentoo_8gb_20171130.img, but as in the case of Debian, the Download comes to the login, and the keyboard does not work.
USB wired keyboard A4tech KL-5 compact without a digital module.
Tell me, Please, that will help boot in my case?

Spoiler

Russian:

Всем привет!
Tanix TX92 Amlogic S912 TV Box (Amlogic S912 Octa-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU,2GB DDR3 + 16GB eMMC,Interface: DC Power

Port,Ethernet,HDMI,SPDIF,TF card,2xUSB2.0 ).
Записал на SD образ Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Debian_stretch_3.14.29_icewm_20180601.img.
Загрузился, поменял пароль root, после перезагрузки экран моргал с сообщениями загрузки в консоли, разбираться не стал,

решил попробовать более свежие образы:
Armbian_5.60_Aml-s9xxx_Debian_stretch_default_4.18.7_desktop_20180928.img записал на SD. Загрузка доходит до ввода логина,

а клавиатура не работает.
Armbian_5.60_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.18.7_desktop_20180928.img записал на USB-flash. Загрузка доходит до

чередующихся сообщений:
usb usb1-port2: connect-debounce failed
usb usb1-port1: connect-debounce failed
Armbian_5.60_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_default_4.18.7_desktop_20180928.img тоже самое.
Быстрее всех загрузился:
Gentoo_8gb_20171130.img, но как и в случае Дебиана Загрузка доходит до ввода логина, а клавиатура не работает.
Клавиатура USB проводная A4tech KL-5 компактная без цифрового модуля.
Подскажите,будь ласка, что поможет загрузиться в моем случае?

Hi  balbes150

I have a amlogic TV box , and find it use rtl8822bs.  

this module has a UART Bluetooth ,  the config needs 

CONFIG_BT_HCIUART_3WIRE

(use uart_A  ,almost all realtek UART Bluetooth module need it)

and

CONFIG_GPIO_SYSFS

(to pull up GPIOX_17 pin in terminal, it's a BT_EN pin).

has been tested on a recompile kernel ,  bluetooth can work , hope you can add it

Thanks

EDIT:   CONFIG_GPIO_SYSFS  is don't need to add , I write a C program to do this.  So only need to add CONFIG_BT_HCIUART_3WIRE .

I'm using meson-gxl-s805x-p241.dts

Hi balbes150

Thanks for your great job!

I tried the 4.18.7_20180928 kernel, both debian & ubuntu, there is a bug: the PL2303 usb can not working.

I use lsusb, it shows PL2303 connect. But when I use Dmesg, the end of lines show nothing with ttyUSB0

BTW the PL2303 works very well in Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Debian_stretch_3.14.29_server_20180729

Edited by hhalibo

2 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Ahead of the official announcement ....  :)

Version 5.62

He he sorry about that, it's been a slow day. Anyway tried it and it boots to desktop alright but i cannot use it because x2goclient segfaults after a while :( Guess I'll stick with 5.60 for a while yet

On 10/5/2018 at 5:28 PM, balbes150 said:

use the right dtb

gxm_q200_3g.dts used to work with 3.14 kernel for my S912 Tanix box. But for 4.18 with meson-gxm-q200.dtb i have same USB error message when keyboard connected. Which dtb file you may suggest in my case?

1 hour ago, sivanoff said:

gxm_q200_3g.dts used to work with 3.14 kernel for my S912 Tanix box. But for 4.18 with meson-gxm-q200.dtb i have same USB error message when keyboard connected. Which dtb file you may suggest in my case? 

Check all the available options gxm*

Does anyone know how close are we to getting GPU hardware accelerated drivers for X? All my googling did not get me any information that I could understand. Its speedy enough at the moment, I just want to see how much faster 2D rendering would be. Thanks for any info

1 hour ago, amirul said:

Does anyone know how close are we to getting GPU hardware accelerated drivers for X? All my googling did not get me any information that I could understand. Its speedy enough at the moment, I just want to see how much faster 2D rendering would be. Thanks for any info

AFAIK 3d acceleration works in X through the libmali provided by amlogic, Neil Armstrong has some instruction of how to get it working

https://github.com/superna9999/meson_gx_mali_450

I didn't try it though.

keep in mind that libmali.so is a mess, you have to use a certain libmali.so for X and another one for wayland or gbm, you can't have acceleration for the three of them at the same time.

The best thing to do now is to wait for lima driver, which is a reversed engineered driver that will wok with mesa, so we will get rid of the libmali mess

New version 5.62 (20181012). It fixed shutdown\reboot on S912.

8 hours ago, chalesY said:

I feel this 4.18 kernel is lack aml_codec_t9015 and pcm2bt  codec , right?

Do you have any plan to add it ?

I do not understand the question, specify what you mean.

3 hours ago, amirul said:

You can find some useful information in this discussion.

1 hour ago, MOHAMMAD HADI said:

The best thing to do now is to wait for lima driver, which is a reversed engineered driver that will wok with mesa, so we will get rid of the libmali mess 

... and other developers have started working on similar projects ...  ;)

On 10/12/2018 at 4:26 PM, balbes150 said:

I do not understand the question, specify what you mean.

ok...  My box has a AV port ,  but no AV port audio output (I have test with a 3.5mm jack earphone, and use meson-gxl-s805x-p241.dts to boot)

Unfortunately , I didn't found any DAC chip on board. But only found a amplifier chip (TPF605) on board.

By the way , Box is mgv2000 ,  board id is gxlx_p261_1g, I'm  use DTC convert dtb to dts.

So , I guess it need these driver , and maybe my guess is wrong . Could you give me some suggestion about how to make audio output work on AV port?

17 minutes ago, chalesY said:

ok...  My box has a AV port ,  but no AV port audio output (I have test with a 3.5mm jack earphone, and use meson-gxl-s805x-p241.dts to boot)

Unfortunately , I didn't found any DAC chip on board. But only found a amplifier chip (TPF605) on board.

By the way , Box is mgv2000 ,  board id  is gxlx_p261_1g , I'm  use DTC convert dtb to dts.

So , I guess it need these driver , and maybe my guess is wrong . Could you give me some suggestion about how to make audio output work on AV port?

http://linux-meson.com/doku.php Audio subsystem in wip(in stable 4.18 didn't work with default cvbs output, so problem on kernel level). But usb sound work.