Armbian for Amlogic S9xxx kernel 5.x

balbes150

25 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I don't use WiFi nor BT at all. Only ethernet. Will try with a different power supply. Thanks.

I checked pihole, since it's the main difference between your setup and mine (I assume you are using Armbian Ubuntu 18.04 in server mode). Pihole by default is setup to do both IPV4 and IPV6 blocking, but if you are running your internal net on IPV4 I suggest you completely disable IPV6 in the kernel of your km8p box, and disable IPV6 blocking in pihole, that will eliminate one possible source of crashes. Pi hole should continue to work just fine.

To disable IPV6 in the Linux kernel, just type the following commands:

sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1

sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1

Have anyone found a way to upgrade to a new release?

I saw the deb files but those will upgrade a few stuff like dtbs, headers etc, how would you do it for the kernel (boot partition), /lib/modules/, firmware directory?

Tried to modify the install.sh script without success, was anyone more successful?

Thanks 

1 hour ago, petrkalos said:

Have anyone found a way to upgrade to a new release?

Are you trying to upgrade to a new Armbian release, a new Debian/Ubuntu release, or to a new kernel? Because these are three different things. And obviously there is a way to upgrade each of these.

Pay attention. To properly boot the system to SD card on Odroid N2 you need to switch the startup u-boot was installed on SD\eMMC. (that is, the position that is used in the release of equipment from the plant).

23 hours ago, AndrewDB said:

Are you trying to upgrade to a new Armbian release, a new Debian/Ubuntu release, or to a new kernel? Because these are three different things. And obviously there is a way to upgrade each of these.

I am running Bionic from eMMC and I suppose Armbian/Ubuntu upgrades are just fine by doing "apt upgrade"/"dpkg -i balbe's.dpkgs" yet kernel remains unchanged.

To give you an example I was trying to upgrade from balbes 5.76 -> 5.78, installed the dpkgs but /boot partition remained unchanged hence it was still booting with the old kernel.

1 hour ago, petrkalos said:

I am running Bionic from eMMC and I suppose Armbian/Ubuntu upgrades are just fine by doing "apt upgrade"/"dpkg -i balbe's.dpkgs" yet kernel remains unchanged.

To give you an example I was trying to upgrade from balbes 5.76 -> 5.78, installed the dpkgs but /boot partition remained unchanged hence it was still booting with the old kernel.

So you want to update the kernel? The way I do that is that I compile and install a kernel I download from Oleg's (balbes150) repository on GitHub. This has the advantage that I can configure the kernel to fit exactly my needs. Depending on your hardware you can also download, configure, compile and install an unpatched mainline kernel from kernel.org. Either way, you get exactly the kernel version you want with exactly the options you need.

BUT

If the kernel you already have installed and booting from eMMC is working fine, there is no reason to update.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:35 AM, AndrewDB said:

I checked pihole, since it's the main difference between your setup and mine (I assume you are using Armbian Ubuntu 18.04 in server mode). Pihole by default is setup to do both IPV4 and IPV6 blocking, but if you are running your internal net on IPV4 I suggest you completely disable IPV6 in the kernel of your km8p box, and disable IPV6 blocking in pihole, that will eliminate one possible source of crashes. Pi hole should continue to work just fine.

To disable IPV6 in the Linux kernel, just type the following commands:

sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1

sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1

I did that. In fact i'm using debian headless each time. I never use ubuntu except to test DE.

Thanks. :)

1 hour ago, Saniksanik said:

I am newbie linux user and need detailed instructions how to start wi-fi in my armbian powered TV BOX T95 S1. Armbian version is 5.76. Wi-Fi chip is ssv6051. 

Is your wifi chipset detected ? Run armbian-config and look in the network section if a wireless device is listed. If not, the best way is to use a cheap usb dongle based on mainline supported chip.

On 4/14/2019 at 2:24 PM, AndrewDB said:

So you want to update the kernel? The way I do that is that I compile and install a kernel I download from Oleg's (balbes150) repository on GitHub. This has the advantage that I can configure the kernel to fit exactly my needs. Depending on your hardware you can also download, configure, compile and install an unpatched mainline kernel from kernel.org. Either way, you get exactly the kernel version you want with exactly the options you need.

BUT

If the kernel you already have installed and booting from eMMC is working fine, there is no reason to update.

Thanks for the suggestions but I would prefer to use Oleg's precompiled kernel and drivers, dealing with all the dependencies and installing the kernel modules for each different version can be a long process.

About the benefits of upgrading, well Amlogic platform is getting new features/fixes very frequently (e.g VPU drivers), so why not having those?

4 hours ago, petrkalos said:

Thanks for the suggestions but I would prefer to use Oleg's precompiled kernel and drivers,

Then just copy the kernel, initrd and modules from any of Oleg's images that fits your needs.

I have mecool M8s Pro W (S905W). I run

5. open the app "Update&Backup"
6. click on "Select" local update and chose the file on the removable media (aml_update.zip) aml_autoscript.zip
7. start "Update"

with the latest firmware of this thread. After that box is struck at MECOOL boot logo. Any help or clue?

1 hour ago, sekarpdkt said:

I have mecool M8s Pro W (S905W). I run

5. open the app "Update&Backup"
6. click on "Select" local update and chose the file on the removable media (aml_update.zip) aml_autoscript.zip
7. start "Update"

with the latest firmware of this thread. After that box is struck at MECOOL boot logo. Any help or clue?

Try to flash the Android firmware to a different (preferably earlier) version.

8 hours ago, AndrewDB said:

Try to flash the Android firmware to a different (preferably earlier) version.

As it is struck with MECOOL logo and not booting, how can I do it? Can I download latest Android firmware and write it to SD Card and try? Will it boot?

Also, if anyone of you have successfully booted, which dtb did u use? My unv.ini looks like

dtb_name=/dtb/meson-gxl-s905w-p281.dtb
bootargs=root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

My extlinux.conf looks like

LABEL Armbian
  LINUX /zImage
  INITRD /uInitrd
  FDTDIR /dtb
  FDT /dtb/meson-gxl-s905w-p281.dtb
  APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 

Thanks.

5 hours ago, sekarpdkt said:

As it is struck with MECOOL logo and not booting, how can I do it?

Your box is bricked. See how to unbrick on Freaktab website. or google "how to unbrick my Amlogic tv box".

Also, please don't post off-topic anymore in this thread, since at this point this has nothing to do with Armbian.

@balbes150 Great job with the Odroid N2 image.
It seems better than anything else I tried. Almost everything works out of the box. I'm very happy with this, I could kiss you.
I've had many problems with all other OS'es(Ubuntu Mate/Meveric's Stretch) to get zram(and swap files) to work. It was enabled, but when it needed to use zram, it just crashed the application.
With yours zram is used like it should.
I'll increase it from 1024MB to 1800MB. And add a 4GB swap file for when it's needed.
I had so much problems rendering the armbian backgrounds because I ran out of memory. If only I knew to use Armbian for it...

There's nothing in "/sys/class/thermal/..."
I use that to check cpu temperature on a taskbar app. ("cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp")
Also the cpu frequencies can't be shown. But those are small details.

You should advertivse your image more. There's no thread on the Odroid forum about it. I didn't know you had one for the N2 until I found a post where you talked about it.
Thanks, cheers.

14 hours ago, teridotoji said:

image.png.cecd3ac607e3e58cc70014d92d72cffa.png

X96 max 4G/32G boot the latest image 5.78 but could not detect EMMC, please take a look the picture

It boot OK with original android image or XTM ATV MOD image.

How I can install on EMMC?

Try a different kernel version (earlier/later).

It performs very badly with the N2.
It's about 50% of what it should be.

Here the output of @tkaiser 's SBC-Bench : http://ix.io/1DWY
The small cores are clocked at 1.2Ghz

7-Zip (a) [64] 16.02 : Copyright (c) 1999-2016 Igor Pavlov : 2016-05-21
p7zip Version 16.02 (locale=C,Utf16=off,HugeFiles=on,64 bits,6 CPUs LE)

LE
CPU Freq:  1192  1195  1197  1192  1197  1197  1197  1197  1197

The big cores are clocked at 1Ghz

LE
CPU Freq:   997   998   998   998   998   998   998   998

The Allwinner H6 performs almost as fast as this.
Can't use cpufrequtils either.

Spoiler

nicod@odroid:~$ cpufreq-info
cpufrequtils 008: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009
Report errors and bugs to cpufreq@vger.kernel.org, please.
analyzing CPU 0:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
  maximum transition latency: 4294.55 ms.
analyzing CPU 1:
analyzing CPU 2:
analyzing CPU 3:
analyzing CPU 4:
analyzing CPU 5:

Anyone any idea why this is? It looks like the cpu settings aren't set right.

P.S. There's also an issue of very slow booting. I had the same think with Meveric's Stretch. That was a network issue, gigabit ethernet didn't work right.
That got fixed with a bootloader update.
https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?p=252845#p252845

Hi,

thanks a lot for your work.  I have a MINIMX s905 and BEELINK S912.

- Is it possible to play X265 1080P Video with Kodi on the two model ?

- I need Mali driver in order to play x265 1080P ?

- Which version i have to install for a working Kodi x265 1080P ?
https://yadi.sk/d/srrtn6kpnsKz2/Linux/ARMBIAN/5.76/S905_mali

more https://yadi.sk/d/pHxaRAs-tZiei/5.44/KODI-18.0_mali7

or the last ubuntu bionic https://yadi.sk/d/srrtn6kpnsKz2/Linux/ARMBIAN/5.78_20190415/NEXT

more more https://yadi.sk/d/pHxaRAs-tZiei/5.44/KODI-18.0_mali7

thanks

Hi,

I'm on 5.77 S905X debian without X. My TV is HD ready  /1366x768/ but it can downscale 1080p picture. I can see the logo in 1080p on boot but the kernel switches to 1366x768 which is crappy. The fonts are broken, unreadable. How can I force or switch to 1080p resoulution on the HDMI port from console? I used fbset but nothing happened :(

best regards, Gabor

9 minutes ago, gcsuri said:

Hi,

I'm on 5.77 S905X debian without X. My TV is HD ready  /1366x768/ but it can downscale 1080p picture. I can see the logo in 1080p on boot but the kernel switches to 1366x768 which is crappy. The fonts are broken, unreadable. How can I force or switch to 1080p resoulution on the HDMI port from console? I used fbset but nothing happened :(

best regards, Gabor

How about

xrandr -s 1920x1080