Armbian for Amlogic S9xxx kernel 5.x

balbes150

Hi,

i just got ubuntu 16.04 working on my x96 mini. i used the dtb provided here DTB file. everything is working fine.

how can i get wlan wifi to work? interface is not listed in ifconfig and i tried to do sudo modprobe dhd and wifi_dummy. the module is not found im running 5.62

Linux aml 4.19.0-rc7-aml-s9xxx #16 SMP PREEMPT Fri Oct 19 12:44:47 MSK 2018 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

whats the driver module that works for this device? can you point in the right direction? my idea is to create a wifi hotspot

12 hours ago, ashpra said:

Hi,

i just got ubuntu 16.04 working on my x96 mini. i used the dtb provided here DTB file. everything is working fine.

how can i get wlan wifi to work? interface is not listed in ifconfig and i tried to do sudo modprobe dhd and wifi_dummy. the module is not found im running 5.62

Linux aml 4.19.0-rc7-aml-s9xxx #16 SMP PREEMPT Fri Oct 19 12:44:47 MSK 2018 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

whats the driver module that works for this device? can you point in the right direction? my idea is to create a wifi hotspot

Look via dmesg for failed wifi firmware, something like "brcmxxx failed...". If it says about error -2 loading firmware, the .txt file it looking for is missing (has wrong name). Make a symlink with this name to corresponding txt file in the same dir and it will work. Did it on H96mini with brcm4334 and everything works good!

For those who need WiFi-use versions with kernel 3.14. On systems with a 4.18\19 core, there is no WiFi support for most chips. Or you need to build your own version of the kernel with the addition of patches for the Desired wifi chips.

30 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

For those who need WiFi-use versions with kernel 3.14. On systems with a 4.18\19 core, there is no WiFi support for most chips. Or you need to build your own version of the kernel with the addition of patches for the Desired wifi chips.

Okay great, thank you. I'll see what can be done.

Hello,

I'm trying to use Linux on an TV Box Mecool M8S pro+ (S905X):

38365732532_62b71d7d9a_z.jpg

To do that i did this steps:

- Download Armbian_5.64_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.19.0-rc7_desktop_20181019.img

- I use Win32DiskImager to burn this on a microSD 8Go

- Customize uEnv.ini with -> "dtb_name=/dtb/meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb"

- Use update app with aml_update.zip

When i try this, the box reboot and display mecool logo. Then the box turn in black screen and mecool logo agin. After that, the box stays on this screen indefinitely...

Would I have forgotten something?

On 10/26/2018 at 10:29 AM, balbes150 said:

yeah, I tried 3.14 kernel with patches for ssv6051 to get wifi working. are you planning to make a similar path for this wifi device for 4.1x kernel?

3 hours ago, inrepublica said:

Hello,

I'm trying to use Linux on an TV Box Mecool M8S pro+ (S905X):

38365732532_62b71d7d9a_z.jpg

To do that i did this steps:

- Download Armbian_5.64_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.19.0-rc7_desktop_20181019.img

- I use Win32DiskImager to burn this on a microSD 8Go

- Customize uEnv.ini with -> "dtb_name=/dtb/meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb"

- Use update app with aml_update.zip

When i try this, the box reboot and display mecool logo. Then the box turn in black screen and mecool logo agin. After that, the box stays on this screen indefinitely...

Would I have forgotten something?

No, I have the same problem with this box.  I've only gotten the 3.14 kernel versions to work sadly.

On 9/6/2018 at 4:36 AM, amirul said:

Now to see why wifi & ethernet is not working...

UPDATE: able to boot to desktop with meson-gxbb-p200.dtb - only with usb & side usb port. Boot process takes a bit longer though. Wifi & ethernet still not working.

TX3 Mini (meson-gxl-s905w-tx3-mini.dtb, using sdcard or usb) boots to desktop (although slow to get login screen).

eth0 working, wifi not (kern.log message: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio.clm_blob failed with error -2).

Cannot switch vt out from X

Take a look at https://forum.armbian.com/topic/2419-armbian-for-amlogic-s905-and-s905x-ver-544/?page=63&tab=comments#comment-60307  .

I've just checked one of the latest AML Armbian 4.1x kernel Ubuntu images and the distro fault appears to be present still.

4 hours ago, dbsharpe said:

Take a look at https://forum.armbian.com/topic/2419-armbian-for-amlogic-s905-and-s905x-ver-544/?page=63&tab=comments#comment-60307  .

I've just checked one of the latest AML Armbian 4.1x kernel Ubuntu images and the distro fault appears to be present still.

Thanks. However on my s905 box using meson-gxbb-p201.dtb, it is brcmfmac43362-sdio.txt that is failing to load

7 hours ago, amirul said:

Thanks. However on my s905 box using meson-gxbb-p201.dtb, it is brcmfmac43362-sdio.txt that is failing to load

So find txt/config file for that chip in the same directory, but with other name, it may be there and kernel looks for wrong file. Make a symlink and reboot, everything should work.

Installed armbian to EMMC with /root/install.sh but it doesn't boot. If i change ROOTFS to ROOT_EMMC in uEnv.ini on sdcard it boots from EMMC root partition, but if i remove sdcard it doesnt load kernel from internal storage. Maybe i need to install uboot 2018?

3 hours ago, sivanoff said:

Installed armbian to EMMC with /root/install.sh but it doesn't boot. If i change ROOTFS to ROOT_EMMC in uEnv.ini on sdcard it boots from EMMC root partition, but if i remove sdcard it doesnt load kernel from internal storage. Maybe i need to install uboot 2018?

I also ended up installing 2018.

12 hours ago, Nofan Tasi said:

I also ended up installing 2018.

So it is possible to boot from EMMC without sdcard with u-boot upgraded to 2018? As I understand upgrading u-boot is scary operation, any fail may brick tv-box.

5 hours ago, sivanoff said:

So it is possible to boot from EMMC without sdcard with u-boot upgraded to 2018? As I understand upgrading u-boot is scary operation, any fail may brick tv-box.

what I did on VIM2 was

[when booted Armbian_5.64_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.19.0-rc7_desktop_20181019 from SD]:

- in /boot/ copy s912-uboot.img to uboot.img

- in /root/ run install-2018.sh

perhaps not for faint of heart but it worked for me.

On 10/31/2018 at 7:23 PM, Nofan Tasi said:

what I did on VIM2 was

[when booted Armbian_5.64_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.19.0-rc7_desktop_20181019 from SD]:

- in /boot/ copy s912-uboot.img to uboot.img

- in /root/ run install-2018.sh

perhaps not for faint of heart but it worked for me.

Unfortunately, install-2018.sh with s912-uboot.img made my Tanix TX9 Pro unbootable. Luckily successfully recovered with Amlogic USB Burning Tool. Maybe this u-boot image is only for VIM2 boxes.

1 hour ago, sivanoff said:

Unfortunately, install-2018.sh with s912-uboot.img made my Tanix TX9 Pro unbootable. Luckily successfully recovered with Amlogic USB Burning Tool. Maybe this u-boot image is only for VIM2 boxes.

Perhaps. Note, one also needs to choose and set correct dtb (in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf for 2018 u-boot).

On 11/2/2018 at 4:09 PM, Nofan Tasi said:

Perhaps. Note, one also needs to choose and set correct dtb (in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf for 2018 u-boot).

I've definitely set it in sdcard's extlinux/extlinux.conf and install-2018.sh should be copying files from sdcard. And if uboot install is ok it should try sdcard first (this how it works with stock uboot). But in my case LED screen stayed off, no boot with sdcard inserted.

Maybe I'll give it another try later, now it is much easier when I know that it can be revived any time.

UPDATE:

After reflashing with stock image and u-boot box boots without sdcard inserted into system installed with install.sh. No need to install u-boot 2018.

usb usb1-port2 connect-debounce failed

USB is not working. im using a t95z plus. linux boots and i get to the prompt to login but nothing i plug in to usb works. I cant SSH in to the box either... even after setting up wired network in first run template would love a suggestion

UPDATE:

im new to this and am figuring it all out. i got it working now. TY i had to specify the correct dtb in uenv.ini and all is well. 

Hi,
I was able to get the Armbian_5.64_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.19.0-rc7_desktop_20181019 image to boot on my H96-P projector with an S905X SOC. The projector has a low resolution of 854x480 (FWVGA). I was able to create a modeline for this for X11 with cvt to adjust the resolution in X.

However, I was trying to find a way to change the resolution of the terminal as I haven't been able to find a way to do this. I have read references to editing hdmi.sh, but this file does not exist on this image. I read that someone added a line to uEnv.ini like video=1280x720. I have tried this with video=854x480 but it didn't seem to work, the console resolution is still too high (i.e. 1080p). 

This projector also has HDMI in. On the Android image it came with, there is an app to change the display to the HDMI in. Is there a way to do this in linux (i.e. if I want to project from a laptop)? I can always reboot into Android, but I'd prefer not to.

Thanks in advance, and a special thanks to balbes150 for the awesome work on this!

3 hours ago, martinayotte said:

This driver should already be present out-of-the-box on Armbian Mainline images ...

I am not so sure:

root@aml:~# uname -a
Linux aml 4.19.0-rc7-aml-s9xxx #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Oct 19 09:03:49 MSK 2018 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
root@aml:~# zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i MT7601
# CONFIG_MT7601U is not set

38 minutes ago, Nofan Tasi said:

I am not so sure:

On my side, using a build I've done on October 5th for my NanoPi-K2 :

root@nanopik2:~# 
root@nanopik2:~# uname -a
Linux nanopik2 4.18.12-meson64 #43 SMP PREEMPT Fri Oct 5 09:49:17 EDT 2018 aarch64 GNU/Linux
root@nanopik2:~# grep MT76 /boot/config-4.18.12-meson64 
CONFIG_MT7601U=m

Maybe you can ask @balbes150 or who ever did the build of your image to add it for next build ...

16 hours ago, martinayotte said:

On my side, using a build I've done on October 5th for my NanoPi-K2 :

root@nanopik2:~# 
root@nanopik2:~# uname -a
Linux nanopik2 4.18.12-meson64 #43 SMP PREEMPT Fri Oct 5 09:49:17 EDT 2018 aarch64 GNU/Linux
root@nanopik2:~# grep MT76 /boot/config-4.18.12-meson64 
CONFIG_MT7601U=m

Maybe you can ask @balbes150 or who ever did the build of your image to add it for next build ...

@balbes150  Any chance of including it?  

On 10/12/2018 at 4:26 PM, balbes150 said:

similar projects

Re ZRAM?

Hi Babes I am running Armbian_5.64_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.19.0-rc7_desktop_20181019 on a Mecool KM8 1gb ram . Performance is outstanding and I can run my Software defined radio program GQRX at the full 3.2 MSPS. and it is HTOP load CPU 50% (in comparison the raspberry pi can only do half the MSPS rate  or less before it runs out of CPU and gets sluggish.)

Armbian 5.64 on a 1GB Ram machine  works amazing on one task but if I use a second task like firefox it seems to run out of ram and get sluggish?

Is ZRAM installed? I saw in the startup script that it says ZRAM configeration is mentioned.

But when terminal cat /proc/swaps

it shows nothing.

Is there a script or a first run template that will turn ZRAM on?

Is your Armbian version using a 128MB swap file?

Thanks for all the amazing work.

P.S. HTOP does not show Temp or swap

Seasalt.

Hi

In, H96 PRO+ 3G/32G with Armbian_5.64_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.19.0-rc7_desktop_20181019.img. I used gxm_q200.dtb by editing both uEnv.ini and /extlinux/extlinux.conf to point to correct dtb in dtb folder. Post that was able to set username and password (before that USB keyboard was not working - I have not read this thread), Now getting blank screen with blinking cursor after initial standard linux boot sequence.

Any help ?

3 hours ago, sekarpdkt said:

Hi

In, H96 PRO+ 3G/32G with Armbian_5.64_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.19.0-rc7_desktop_20181019.img. I used gxm_q200.dtb by editing both uEnv.ini and /extlinux/extlinux.conf to point to correct dtb in dtb folder. Post that was able to set username and password (before that USB keyboard was not working - I have not read this thread), Now getting blank screen with blinking cursor after initial standard linux boot sequence.

Any help ?

can you ssh to the box?