Armbian for Amlogic S9xxx kernel 5.x

balbes150

1 hour ago, Turgus said:

..you are sure that you got eMMC on your box?!-many got problems if it is nand instead, which needs somehow another attempt..

Thats a very good question. I though NAND and eMMC are treated the same, no ?

Does anybody know which DTB should I use for AZW W95 2/16 (S905W) for Armbian? https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_736120.html?wid=1433363

1. I burnt Armbian_5.67_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.19.7_desktop_20181228 onto a USB flash drive and followed the new instructions.
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/7930-armbian-for-amlogic-s9xxx-kernel-41x-ver-555/

2. I did try those two DTBs (and for chaining each DTB you have to burn the USB again): meson-gxl-s905w-tx3-mini.dtb and meson-gxl-s905w-p281.dtb. No luck with these two. After creating a user account instead of loading the desktop I get flashing cursor. After, I plunged the power and plugged it back in the loader says "Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes" and later nothing happens.

Any ideas?

..after creating the user it takes 2-5 minutes until login screen appears. I can reduce the time a bit by moving the mouse around while cursor is blinking. let the system work a little more time, it seems you are on the right path!..

btw. usually you need only to edit the uEnv.ini file to choose another dtb file..

18 hours ago, Turgus said:

..after creating the user it takes 2-5 minutes until login screen appears. I can reduce the time a bit by moving the mouse around while cursor is blinking. let the system work a little more time, it seems you are on the right path!..

btw. usually you need only to edit the uEnv.ini file to choose another dtb file..

Happy New Year to all of you guys :)

1. A bit of an update with my device - I managed to start the GUI. As I said before, I've got stuck on the flashing cursor screen after creating mu user account for over well over half an hour. So, I pressed Ctrl+Alt+F2, logged in, and typed "startX" command. Only after this the GUI starts. Same thing happens on a reboot. Is there a way to fix it? Should I provide you with any addition info?

2. The wi-fi card isn't working. It doesn't popup out in the available network devices in the upper right corner connection menu. Is there a way I can identify the card and later the driver for it?

3. Enlighten me. Armbian is installed only in the USB thumb driver or SD card right? So, could it be "out-of-the-box" live USB in the future? Is there a way to flash it to device permanently one the device?

4. If YouTube looses frames running for Armbian's browser is it a fault of a device or rather used USB thumb drive?

5. Is there any light weight HTTP stream screen app toy recommend?

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. I have a beelink gt1 ultimate (real 3GB). 

The version with the latest kernel that works for me is 5.60 with 4.18.7 Kernel and Ubuntu Xenial.  I want to use this tv box as Home Automation server. 

I need ftdi_sio driver. How can I compile the module as a ko ? I have installed all the toolchain in a Ubuntu Bionic VM but I do not have the 4.18.7 Kernel (the only proposed ones are minimu 4.19 (default; dev and next).

@balbes150, from where are you getting the sources to compile with the right armbian version ? Can you give the 5.60 sources in one of your repositories ? 

Thanks in advance and happy new year to everybody

Andrea  

Edited by adizanni

How to get a working LED/VFD front display on Tanix TX3 mini-A:

First, many thanks to Balbes, Igor and the other heroes of the Armbian community.

Instructions (noob-like, i.e. like me):

1. Install (see instructions at the top of this thread) the dtb file meson-gxl-s905w-tx3-mini-vfd.dtb.gz and boot your tx3 box with this file. (This assumes that you boot from SD/USB so that you don't risk bricking your box. See also notes below, incl md5sum)
  2. Download the vfd code (module and daemon) tarball vfdd-20181209.tar.xz from a link at the bottom of the page http://www.rvq.fr/linux/tanix-vfd.php and unpack it someplace on your tx3 box.
  3. Build the vfd module (natively): Install the *.deb package from Balbes/Armbian with linux kernel headers for the kernel you are running. Then, copy the contents of vfdd-20181209/vfdmod/vfdmod/ to some place in the kernel headers tree, say drivers/vfd Go to drivers/vfd and write up a Makefile somewhat like this; 
    KERNEL_SOURCE := /usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.7-aml-s9xxx
    PWD := $(shell pwd)
    default:
    	${MAKE} -C ${KERNEL_SOURCE} M=${PWD} modules
    clean:
    	${MAKE} -C ${KERNEL_SOURCE} M=${PWD} clean

Run 'make' and build the module vfdmod.ko

4. Check that the module loads: insmod vfdmod.ko
  5. Build the daemon vfdd: Go to the directory vfdd-20181209/ and run make. (I got some seemingly harmless warnings, which I ignored.) The daemon executable vfdd should emerge. After inspection/editing of the Makefile in vfdd-20181209/ (e.g. BINDIR, ETCDIR) you can run 'make install' to copy the the daemon executable and configuration file to their proper locations (or do this manually).
  6. Test the daemon: Check the vfd conf file (default /etc/vfd.conf) and edit according to taste, or leave as-is. Start the daemon with recipe as in vfdd-20181209/vfdd.runit.in If everything is OK some nice little numbers and symbols should now emerge on the front LED display of your tx3 box. (Note that the daemon cycles through time/date/temp on the display and that e.g. the play button means bluetooth, I think.)

Notes:

• The dtb file meson-gxl-s905w-tx3-mini-vfd.dtb (md5sum is fe846c5c3c7903b15c0725c2bd289fe5) is an augmentation of the Balbes/Armbian file meson-gxl-s905w-tx3-mini.dtb where the following definition has been added/compiled in (method; hack to Balbes' Armbian cross compile build environment) to support vfd (as per recipe in vfdd-20181209): 
    meson-vfd {
    	compatible = "amlogic,aml_vfd";
    	dev_name = "meson-vfd";
    	status = "okay";
    	gpios = <&gpio_ao GPIOAO_4  GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH>,  /* STB */
    		<&gpio GPIODV_27 GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH>,  /* CLK */
    		<&gpio GPIODV_26 GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH>;  /* DI/DO */
    };

(A dtb file can easily be decompiled and inspected by decompiling it with dtc, the device tree compiler.)

• The vfd module can also be complied using the Balbes/Armbian cross compile environment, using (at least for me) some ugly hacks, but the native route seems much simpler. (The module built with the cross compile environment becomes smaller; I don't know why (perhaps due to some shared code).)

• I have used information and links mainly from the excellent tx3 info source http://www.rvq.fr/linux/tanix-tx3.php

1 hour ago, adizanni said:

@balbes150, from where are you getting the sources to compile with the right armbian version ? Can you give the 5.60 sources in one of your repositories ? 

Thanks in advance and happy new year to everybody

Andrea  

Have a look at this post regarding kernel build.
You will have to locate the relevant commit in https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s905-kernel to get the correct version of 4.18.7 kernel source. As well as cross compile, you can also compile natively and either binaries seem to execute for me.
As an aside, I'm running 4.19.7-aml-s9xxx and  config-4.19.7-aml-s9xxx has CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_FTDI_SIO=m and ftdi_sio.ko has already been built, if that's what you are looking for (assuming you have the correct .dbt which activates your USB ports).

1 hour ago, dbsharpe said:

Have a look at this post regarding kernel build.
You will have to locate the relevant commit in https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s905-kernel to get the correct version of 4.18.7 kernel source. As well as cross compile, you can also compile natively and either binaries seem to execute for me.
As an aside, I'm running 4.19.7-aml-s9xxx and  config-4.19.7-aml-s9xxx has CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_FTDI_SIO=m and ftdi_sio.ko has already been built, if that's what you are looking for (assuming you have the correct .dbt which activates your USB ports).

Thanks @dbsharpe

I'm trying the first option and actually I found the right kernel release where you  pointed me to :).

Second option is getting me crawy, I cannot find any combination of dtb and kernel version that will make my USB ports reckognized since kernel 4.19.

I guess it is a known problem. 

Andrea

CNX has a story on cheap Mecool KM8p boards.

https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/01/04/mecool-km8-p-octa-core-tv-box-promo/

I wrote in a comment on Armbian and Coreelec support.

Seasalt

I have three of these KM8p Mecool’s 1G ram 8gb storage.. I am really happy with them.

I run this image of Corelec Kodi CoreELEC-

S912.arm-8.95.7-S912.img.gz
https://coreelec.org/

It works fantastically as a super powerful Kodi player with surround sound. (Wifi may not be detected so you may need a usb Wifi dongle.) The S912 Processor can decode 10bit 1080P X265 compressed files. The video decoding is excellent.

I run this version of Ubuntu – Armbian by Balbes on my Mecool KM8p and it works fantastically. https://yadi.sk/d/pHxaRAs-tZiei/5.67/20181228

Here is the Balbes Armbian forum. https://forum.armbian.com/topic/7930-armbian-for-amlogic-s9xxx-kernel-41x-ver-555/?page=12&tab=comments#comment-68965

The current Balbes s912 Armbian is REALLY stable and working very well.
My only regret is that my 3 units are only 1gb Ram as the S912 Octa-core processor is REALLY powerful and is only constrained by ram. If you are going to run the wonderful Balbes Armbian get the 2 GB ram KM8p model for $34.00. The Ubuntu S912 armbian version uses Zram and works really well.

Also I have cut the case and mounted a small raspberry pi fan on top of the heatsink with just two cable ties to hold it on. Now I have no heating problems.

X96 TV Box Android 6.0 + 2GB RAM + 16GB ROM407

2.4GHz WiFi HDMI 2.0 Real-time Display Amlogic S905X Quad Core

I’m install to sandisk SD card

Armbian_5.67_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.19.7_desktop_20181228.img.xz

text can not be read on my asus monitor, i use monitor asus hdmi vga converter. please help me to fix this. what's wrong with this. this is a picture on the desktop

IMG_20190108_011814.jpg

IMG_20190108_012000.jpg

IMG_20190108_013302.jpg

IMG_20190108_015600.jpg

I just attempted several builds of Build-Armbian, 5.67 bionic 5.0 rc1 with S9xxx board. None of them will boot. It's almost like it's not reading the DTB right. It just sits at the MXQPro logo screen. I've edited to extlinux.conf and the uEnv.ini and even created a dtb.img but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I've used this same dtb with builds produced by @balbes150 and it worked fine. @Igor any ideas? I'm a noob, but I'm not just trying to get this running. I plan to contribute to the project if possible. I was a software engineer in a past life. 

Any hints in the right direction would be much appreciated. For instance, is there a way to see the boot console so I can see i there is an error on boot attempt?

Thanks in Advance.

Jason Black

On 1/3/2019 at 10:39 AM, mocsadek68 said:

I tried the latest version and I edited the INI file.  It still doesn't work. (Mecool M8S Pro+ 2G/16G)

Version: Armbian_5.67_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.19.7_desktop_20181228.img

I did reply on the <5.44 Thread.

The latest and highest Kernel Version i got to work on this box with testing different dtb files was 3.14....

On 1/8/2019 at 11:36 PM, Jason Black said:

any ideas? I'm a noob, but I'm not just trying to get this running. I plan to contribute to the project if possible. I was a software engineer in a past life. 

Your post was moved to appropriate topic in TV boxes section. Official limited support is further limited to selected and well known hardware. Even that is hard to catch up. If you find project worth helping up https://www.armbian.com/get-involved/

On 1/8/2019 at 11:36 PM, Jason Black said:

Any hints in the right direction would be much appreciated. For instance, is there a way to see the boot console so I can see i there is an error on boot attempt?

UART is usually marked on the PCB and you might need to solder pins, but since its different from box to box its hard to say where it is on yours. I don't deal with TV boxes at all.

The new version 5.68 20190110.

Updated kernel to 4.19.13.

On 1/9/2019 at 1:36 AM, Jason Black said:

5.0 rc1 with S9xxx board

Did I understand correctly that you are trying to build kernel 5 ? What sources do you use ? What patches do you apply to the source code ?

57 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

New image Armbian 5.68 20190110  5.0.0 (NEXT)
The version with kernel 5 works only when launched from USB media.

Testing version 5 and at the moment it works well on a pendriver.
balbes150 is there any way to force the hdmi? , it happens to me with version 4 x and 5, I get into dvi with 1024 maximum resolution, but I turn off the monitor and turn it on and it enters hdmi with the cut image and it lets me configure 1920, but if I turn off the monitor or restart returns the signal to dvi (I guess it's monitor thing). Any idea is appreciated. Greetings and great work.

Hello! 

First of all, I would like to welcome you and express my appreciation for the work you have done on this project. 

I registered on the forum, because I'm not able to run hardware video decoding. I tested many images (kernels 3.14 and 4.1x)  uploaded on yandex site and compiled image on my own using balbes150 build system (great work btw.)  For tests I used ffplay tool. 

I'm not very familiar with kernel and low-level things so I would be very grateful if someone would be able to help me.  On my own I started to check loaded kernel modules:

On kernel prepared on my own I have: 

fuse

bnep 

zstd

zram

zsmalloc

nls_ascii

hci_uart

hid_saitek

btqca

btbcm

btintel

bluetooth

ir_nec_decoder

rc_geekbox

meson_ir

ao_cec

ecdh_generic

meson_rng

rfkill

pwm_meson

rc_core

rng_core

adc_keys

input_polldev

meson_gxbb_wdt

scpci_hwmon

leds_pwm

sch_fq_codel

ip_tables

x_tables

ipv6

crc_ccitt

uas

I suppose that on this list there should be something related to GPU like mali, or video etc. 

Do you have something similar? If so, which kernel configuration options should I pay attention to? 

One more thing. After the compilation is finished, in the output folder there is a directory called: debs. Should I install all of them on my tvbox device? 

Excuse me for probably silly questions and thank you in advance for your help. 

two S905x converted in linux machines :-)

using

Armbian_5.67_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.19.6_desktop_20181207.img

one for DHCP and DNS server, and other lan stuff, second for zoneminder ip cameras controlling

two are modded for heat dissipation with aluminium heatspreader and ceramique2 thermal paste, more than 80°c in full, to 56°c full...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dJJ3gR2iOlKDB4s1O8BMBRZQtKtqoOLc

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lKWpTCbooglkXVeCaTMWEECsJ3aBWcnu

Hello,
Dear owners of Mecool KM8P 2/16, tell me if someone managed to launch Armbian on a kernels above 3.14.29?

Spoiler

Здравствуйте,
Уважаемые владельцы Mecool KM8P 2/16 подскажите удалось ли кому нибудь запустить Аrmbian на ядре выше 3.14.29?