Armbian for Amlogic S9xxx kernel 5.x

balbes150

50 minutes ago, AndrewDB said:

Hello Oleg, thank you very much for your quick reply. Unfortunately no, I don't have a UART on any of my S912 boxes, only on the S905 box, so I am unable to debug the problem. I have tried various Armbian images with different 4.XX and even 5.0rcX kernels, and various meson-gxm-xxxxxxx dtb's, but never managed to boot.

But these Mecool KM8 P boxes boot OK with the 3.14.29 kernel with the gxm_q201_1g.dtb.

I know user Seasalt here in this forum also has 3 x KM8 P boxes and he is booting late Armbian with a 4.xx kernel on them, but I don't know which dtb file he is using or if he boot from SD card or USB key.

Show the output of the fw_printenv command with kernel 3.14 running from this box.

5 hours ago, amirul said:

Oops my bad, p201 it is then. All good now :-)

The box turns off after a few minutes of activity. Perhaps heat or segfault?

You can check the temperature of the soc with the following command:

cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input

On 1/30/2019 at 1:56 PM, balbes150 said:

New version 5.73.

1. A separate section for images with the s905 LIMA driver has been added to the catalog.  Notice is images in which there is only the kernel driver LIMA, HW support for DE until they do not. For HW you need to collect a special version

What is the current status of AMAUDIO/AMAUDIO2 (audio through HDMI from 3.14.29 amlogic kernel source) into 4.2x or NEXT 5.0 kernel builds for S905?

On 1/30/2019 at 2:58 AM, balbes150 said:

Don't waste time on tests. eMMC is much faster than USB on all current s9xx, they use USB 2.0. Now begin to emerge S905X2 with USB 3.0 , but they have no support in Armbian. When you first start the installation in eMMC (when eMMC is Android firmware), there are no partitions yet and what you see in GPARTD is normal. For eMMC installation, it is important that eMMC (mmcblk) is visible (partitions are not required, they will be created by the installation system). Only after the initial installation of Armbian in eMMC will appear sections that can see GPARTED. The easiest way to find out if you can install to eMMC or not. Run the "ddbr" utility, if it can create a full backup of eMMC, then the installation in eMMC will work (but it does not guarantee 100% system health from eMMC).

Yes, "DDBR" backup completes successfully.  I posted pictures and attempted to follow the process outlined by you for steps 1,2,3,4 - step 3 and 4 fail for me.  The eMMC installation fails, I cannot activite dual boot. Please see the pictures I attached regarding the error messages. Why does the script incorrectly identify my device? Thank you for your help, sincerely.

Just now, gameseg said:

Yes, "DDBR" backup completes successfully.  I posted pictures and attempted to follow the process outlined by you for steps 1,2,3,4 - step 3 and 4 fail for me.  The eMMC installation fails, I cannot activite dual boot. Please see the pictures I attached regarding the error messages. Why does the script incorrectly identify my device? Thank you for your help, sincerely.

That's what I said, if gparted cannot see all the partitions it won't work.

10 hours ago, dbsharpe said:

What is the current status of AMAUDIO/AMAUDIO2 (audio through HDMI from 3.14.29 amlogic kernel source) into 4.2x or NEXT 5.0 kernel builds for S905? 

The sound HDMI works in the core 4.20.

10 hours ago, gameseg said:

Installation scripts are designed to run from the SD card. To run the installation from USB, you need to edit the scripts (change the name mmcblk1 to mmcblk0).

On 1/31/2019 at 3:34 PM, Reddwarf said:

That's what I said, if gparted cannot see all the partitions it won't work.

I know, but @balbes150 specifically stated that if the ddbr backup works, then installing to eMMC works. Here..."Run the "ddbr" utility, if it can create a full backup of eMMC, then the installation in eMMC will work..." 

I'll attempt to edit the script and report back as to whether or not I can activate dual boot with step 3 and install to eMMC with step 4. Stay tuned.

I edited the shell script files and it worked. Step 3 completed successfully. Step 4 copy to eMMC appears to have completed successfully but when I shutdown, remove USB, and afterwards power back on. I then have errors saying "/dev/mmcblk1p2 does not exist" 

@balbes150 I have no idea how to proceed and need help. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do next, or know what went wrong? I've attempted to attach the pictures in order of events. Thank you for your help.

20190201_180724.jpg

20190201_180736.jpg

20190201_181423.jpg

20190201_181829.jpg

Done some testing on Armbian_5.73_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.20.2_desktop_20180129 with my MiniMX-III (S905), WiFi works, no BT, no ethernet and no sound, neither on HDMI nor on SPDIF with connected receiver/speakers. Video seems to play smooth.

Same wirh Armbian_5.73_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.20.2_desktop_20180129.img LIMA except video seems laggy now.

On 1/31/2019 at 2:47 AM, AndrewDB said:

I can get the kernel to compile in just under 17 minutes on the build farm, instead of 44 minutes on a single S912 box or more than an hour on the S905/S905X boxes!

By the way, it may be able to work with different platforms RK + AML + etc, the main thing that they were arch64. Base packages they have in common, so compilers and so on can have in common.

Spoiler

Если что, вто тема, где можно обсудить вопрос использования на разных чипах.

http://forum.puppyrus.org/index.php?topic=21442.0

Там есть пользователи с разными вариантами железок.

34 minutes ago, Reddwarf said:

Done some testing on Armbian_5.73_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.20.2_desktop_20180129 with my MiniMX-III (S905), WiFi works, no BT, no ethernet and no sound, neither on HDMI nor on SPDIF with connected receiver/speakers. Video seems to play smooth.

Same wirh Armbian_5.73_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.20.2_desktop_20180129.img LIMA except video seems laggy now.

Even when I install BT support and connect an external USB BT dongle there is no BT support.... :(

6 hours ago, balbes150 said:

You have not performed correctly step 1 - multi-boot update. The new system only works with the new multi-boot option.

I'm so sorry, I messed up again! Where are the multi-boot instructions for my s905x? Is there anyway to proceed with my current state - or - do I need to perform a ddbr restore? Do I need to perform a factory reset with the USB Formatting Tool?
Are these the correct instructions for multi-boot? Multiboot Selector for Your TV Box 2017

2 hours ago, gameseg said:

Are these the correct instructions for multi-boot?

This is not a manual (it is quite another).

To simplify the whole process, I recommend to restore the firmware and go from the beginning step by step. Activate the new version of multi-boot immediately from the new image and then do the rest of the steps.

11 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

This is not a manual (it is quite another).

To simplify the whole process, I recommend to restore the firmware and go from the beginning step by step. Activate the new version of multi-boot immediately from the new image and then do the rest of the steps.

I'm a bit lost, where/what are the steps to activate multi-boot? I would like to help consolidate all of the information and steps for future users.

16 minutes ago, gameseg said:

I'm a bit lost, where/what are the steps to activate multi-boot? I would like to help consolidate all of the information and steps for future users.

Here are the steps I have taken successfully:

1. Boot into Android

2. Attach USB and perform "update/backup" application

3. Select "aml_autoscript.zip" and perform the update - good! (this is where multiboot is being enabled, correct?)

4. Device s905x reboots automatically into Linux perfectly (Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_4.18.0-rc5_mate_20180806) - good!

5. Run "./create-mbr-linux.sh" works perfectly (remember, I edited the "/dev/mmcblk0" name to work correctly here) - good!

6. Run "./install.sh" to install to eMMC works perfectly - good!

7. Shutdown s905x device

8. Unplug USB from s905x device

9. Unplug power cable from s905x device

10. Plug power cable back into the s905x device

11. Boot from eMMC on s905x device - good!

12. Failed boot, error message says "/dev/mmcblk1p2 does not exist" - bad!

Evaluate, did step 3 activate multiboot? 

I've booted into my USB again. Here are the current pictures:

20190202_140610.jpg

20190202_140721.jpg

5 hours ago, amirul said:

Is there a reason why preload is not installed and activated in our images? All the tweaking guides recommend it.

Steps the right. But if you are editing scripts, you need to edit everywhere. Now you need to start the system from USB. Open "BOOT_EMMC" section , open "uEnv.ini" and check (fix) in it the partition names on "ROOT_EMMC" and "BOOT_EMMC". Just open the section "ROOT_EMMC" and check (fix) the file "/etc/fstab" (specify the correct label, must be specified "ROOT_EMMC" and " BOOT_EMMC")

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

Steps the right. But if you are editing scripts, you need to edit everywhere. Now you need to start the system from USB. Open "BOOT_EMMC" section , open "uEnv.ini" and check (fix) in it the partition names on "ROOT_EMMC" and "BOOT_EMMC". Just open the section "ROOT_EMMC" and check (fix) the file "/etc/fstab" (specify the correct label, must be specified "ROOT_EMMC" and " BOOT_EMMC")

I'm sorry but I do not understand

50 minutes ago, amirul said:

I'm sorry but I do not understand 

Sorry, it was a reply to a message in front of yours.

16 hours ago, gameseg said:

Evaluate, did step 3 activate multiboot? 

I've booted into my USB again. Here are the current pictures:

On 1/30/2019 at 9:47 PM, AndrewDB said:

3 x Mecool KM8 P, S912, 1GB/8GB RAM/ROM, running Armbian Ubuntu 18.04 server 5.44 with kernel 3.14.29

I have 1 x Mecool KM8 P, S912, 1GB/8GB RAM/ROM, running 16.04 with kernel 3.14.29 too due kernel 4.xx don't run too, I have a question about your little nice farm have you managed to have more RAM available ? Here shows to me only 786 MB and the wifi I can't find so only working  via ethernet cable ?

I have a S905-H and S905X boxes branded MXQ Pro 4k with the Realtek 8189FTV and 8189ETV onboard wifi chips.

Both are booting up fine but with no wifi.

I have found a post from a few years back with somebody having problems with these 8189xTV wifi chips.  But no solutions.

These wifi chips are one Orange Pi devices and have been built into the main kernel according to change logs.

Do I need to rebuild the 8189.ko kernel modules and include in the image to get these working?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks

On 2/2/2019 at 1:46 PM, balbes150 said:

By the way, it may be able to work with different platforms RK + AML + etc, the main thing that they were arch64. Base packages they have in common, so compilers and so on can have in common.

Hide contents

Если что, вто тема, где можно обсудить вопрос использования на разных чипах.

http://forum.puppyrus.org/index.php?topic=21442.0

Там есть пользователи с разными вариантами железок.

Hello Oleg, sorry for the late reply. And yes, you are absolutely correct, the build farm will work with any Aarch64 capable SBC or TV box.

The big advantage I see for the S912 TV boxes is that one gets 8 Cortex-A53 cores for just $23 in my case (that's what I paid for each of my Mecool Km8P TV boxes, shipping included!). The RK3399 TV boxes would probably be faster but they cost more than $50 each these days, so I'll wait until their price drops to experiment with one... or wait for the future Amlogic S922 TV boxes, with 4 x Cortex-A73 cores each.:thumbup: 

21 hours ago, xispita said:

I have 1 x Mecool KM8 P, S912, 1GB/8GB RAM/ROM, running 16.04 with kernel 3.14.29 too due kernel 4.xx don't run too, I have a question about your little nice farm have you managed to have more RAM available ? Here shows to me only 786 MB and the wifi I can't find so only working  via ethernet cable ?

Hello xispita,

Yes, the 3.14.29 kernel as configured by default reserves 256MB of RAM for video out of the installed 1GB. To get more RAM for these headless compile nodes I guess I have to recompile the kernel and disable video completely, but I have not tried it yet, it's on my TODO list. :D

And yes, these Km8P boxes only work with ethernet under Linux, the wifi is not available unless one is willing to hack a special device tree for them, but that's a lot of work and it's not guaranteed to work. Note that for a build farm, wifi is not recommended. On the other hand if you just need a TV box for multimedia applications, it's simpler to stay with Android.