Armbian for Amlogic S9xxx kernel 5.x

balbes150

5 hours ago, Reddwarf said:

Tested the image on my MiniM8S (s905), ran the script, rebooted no sound, ran update-initramfs -v -c -k 'uname -r' ('uname -r' does not work, had to type the version) still no sound unless I connect an external soundcard via usb. Testvideo plays smooth and nice.

You just copied the team from the site ? When you copy text on a website, the translator changed the format of the special characters should be used a different type of quote character instead of ' should be used `

27 minutes ago, AndrewDB said:

@Reddwarf

Run the command uname -r, that gives you the kernel version string that you should add at the end of the update-initramfs command.

Oh, yes, and when nothing works, read the documentation for update-initramfs! :P

As I wrote I did exactly that and it worked ;).

5 hours ago, balbes150 said:

You just copied the team from the site ? When you copy text on a website, the translator changed the format of the special characters should be used a different type of quote character instead of ' should be used `

No I did not copy it from the website I wrote it by hand. I have only one type of ' on my keyboard, except for "

Just now, martinayotte said:

I should be ` , not ' (see inclination) ... On US International keyboard, it is the key left to the 1, typed twice ...

I have Norwegian ketboard(s), but the one I use for testing is a small simplified wireless keyboard with tackball...

Hi there, i'm new to the community. 

To sum up, i wanted to siwtch from a raspberry pi 3 to make a debian server (currently i do pi hole + pivpn box)  but perf are awful, not much RAM and no mainline kernel for its SoC.

I decide to go on Odroid C2 but as i'm French it is difficult to buy one. Finally i saw that some tv boxes which run armbian (thanks to balbes150.. :) ) with similar SoC.

I decide then to buy the cheapest box i could : X96 Mini with S905W.

I'm actually running armbian since 1 hour on usb key (i read since 4.20 emmc isn't supported anymore and don't want to brick it..).

Which are the tweaks i have to make to maximise server and VPN performance ? I don't run desktop manager so i'm not sure if I can use GPU power to accelerate global perf.

Last question : Do the mali script only could run on S905X or on all s905 derivatives ?

Thanks ! :)

5 hours ago, Reddwarf said:

I have Norwegian ketboard(s), but the one I use for testing is a small simplified wireless keyboard with tackball...

Instead of the two backticks you can use $(), i.e. instead of `uname -r' you can use $(uname -r)

6 hours ago, Peyton said:

Which are the tweaks i have to make to maximise server and VPN performance ? I don't run desktop manager so i'm not sure if I can use GPU power to accelerate global perf.

Last question : Do the mali script only could run on S905X or on all s905 derivatives ?

Thanks ! :)

In principle in Armbian you don't have to do anything special to optimize for server / VPN apps. And no you can't use the GPU or the VPU for server apps. These are strictly for multimedia applications.

In your case the Mali GPU and everything related to it are of strictly no use, but yes, the S905/D/W/X share the same identical Mali GPU. The S912 has a different GPU and cannot use the Mali code.

9 hours ago, Peyton said:

I'm actually running armbian since 1 hour on usb key (i read since 4.20 emmc isn't supported anymore and don't want to brick it..).

I have the same device and I'm running Armbian (Armbian_5.74_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.20.5_desktop_20190304.img) from emmc without any issues.

16 minutes ago, Reddwarf said:

The S905Y2 is the new generation of S9XXXX chips and is not supported by any available Linux kernel at the moment. So no Armbian for any box based on the S905X2 or S905Y2. You can expect it to take some time too.

Just now, AndrewDB said:

The S905Y2 is the new generation of S9XXXX chips and is not supported by any available Linux kernel at the moment. So no Armbian for any box based on the S905X2 or S905Y2. You can expect it to take some time too.

Woah. Thanks, do you know anything about the 905x2/y2 performance wise? Is it even worth thinking about?

42 minutes ago, Reddwarf said:

with the S905Y2 cpu

I will never support this model, it does not have a fundamentally important element for me - a wired network.

S905Y2 = NOT support

26 minutes ago, AndrewDB said:

So no Armbian for any box based on the S905X2

There are versions (only S905X2), but it is too early to write about it.  :)

Just now, balbes150 said:

I will never support this model, it does not have a fundamentally important element for me - a wired network.

S905Y2 = NOT support

But it is fairly simple to connect a RJ45->USB network card to any box without ethernet, I use it on my Guleek I8S running Linux Mint 19......

Updated the image to version S905_mali 20190216 (for HW).

For those who already have the previous version, you do not need to update. During the test found that the command to execute the updates uInitrd is not necessary. It's useless. If there is no sound , you need to reboot the system. I haven't studied the reason for this sound behavior, but rebooting usually solves the issue. Perhaps in the future it will be fixed.

Hi,

I downloaded latest image (5.75) for s912 and give it a try with my beelink gt1 ultimate and it sucessfully boots with meson-gxm-q201.dtb. Compared to my previous try, usb and ethernet are working well. I'm re-installing my server with this build (OMV, home-assistant, zigbee2mqtt, etc.).

Great work again!

In case it is useful, here is the result of armbianmonitor -u: http://ix.io/1Be0

Balbes150, One thing i noticed yesterday, after updating initramfs, i did get sound back, but mpv lost acceleration in fullscreen, i don’t understand why?

I am using armbian 5.75., kernel 4.19.21, when i had no sound, everything else was fine, maybe i need to change something in mpv configuration, but i am not sure what?

8 hours ago, balbes150 said:

S905Y2 = NOT support

Any change to get a copy of the  s905X2 (alpha/beta? version) for testing?  (tried to compile my own, but still working on the setup...)

thnx!.

Hello Oleg and Amlogic TV box users,

I need some help here. I am still battling the same problem I wrote about a few days ago:

• I can boot my Mecool Km8-P 1G/8G boxes with any of Oleg's images based on kernel 3.14.29, using the gxm_q201_1g.dtb. Absolutely no problem and the boxes are really stable.
  • I cannot boot any image based on any 4.xx kernel, using any of the meson-gxm-xxxxxx dtb's. Yes I have tried them all!

The original 2015 u-boot loads all the scripts and kernel, initrd and dtb from the SD card, without any problem. But the box freezes instantly as soon as u-boot jumps to the kernel.

I have finally soldered a USB to serial cable on one of my Km8-P boxes and I can debug u-boot, but since I get strictly zero messages from the kernel, I have no idea what is happening.

@balbes150 Oleg, do you have any suggestion, considering I now have a serial console and can control u-boot?

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions.

If anybody is interested, here are some pics of the TV box PCB, also attached is a log of the box booting.

km8p_3.jpg

km8p_4.jpg

boot-km8p-linux-3.14.29.log

2 hours ago, AndrewDB said:

images based on kernel 3.14.29, using the gxm_q201_1g.dtb

Send me that file and file gxm_khadas_vim2.dtb (from the same directory with which you are running kernel 3.14)

and show more of the log starting with kernel 3.14 and the dtb file kvim2_multios.dtb

2 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Hello Oleg, thank you for your help! I just tried this dtb, but unfortunately the result is the same: the TV box freezes as soon as u-boot tries to start the kernel. I am attaching the log file, as you can see the zImage, the uInitrd and the dtb file which you sent me are all loaded in RAM, but something causes the box to freeze. And I don't get any kernel message at all. I have tried checking the dts files to see if I could notice an important difference between the 3.14.29 and 4.20 gxm-q201.dts files but I cannot find out what is wrong.

bootlog_S912_latest_dtb.txt

7 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Send me that file and file gxm_khadas_vim2.dtb (from the same directory with which you are running kernel 3.14)

and show more of the log starting with kernel 3.14 and the dtb file kvim2_multios.dtb

Thank you Oleg.

I am attaching the log of the Km8-P booting 3.14.19 with the kvim2_multios.dtb. This boots but I don't have ethernet. Also I tried booting with meson-gxm-khadas-vim2.dtb with various 4.xxx kernels and always have the same freeze.

It's very strange. Kernel 3.14.29 boots fine on Km8-P, kernels 4.xxx and 5.xxx just freeze after u-boot boots the kernel.

bootlog_S912_3.14.29_kvim2multios_dtb.txt

9 hours ago, AndrewDB said:

I can boot my Mecool Km8-P 1G/8G boxes with any of Oleg's images based on kernel 3.14.29, using the gxm_q201_1g.dtb. Absolutely no problem and the boxes are really stable.

I am wondering if this problem you are having is a hardware problem?

Can you boot the latest Corelec Kodi image for s912?

27 minutes ago, Seasalt said:

I am wondering if this problem you are having is a hardware problem?

Can you boot the latest Corelec Kodi image for s912?

An identical hardware problem on three separate Km8-P TV boxes that allows them to boot and function perfectly with kernel 3.14 but freezes them with kernels 4.xx?  I don't see how this could be a hardware problem, but I confess I am scratching my head over this one. :blink:

Coreelec images are based on kernel 3.14, so they'll boot and work fine.

Again: these Km8-P boxes boot and work fine with any image that uses kernel 3.14.29. They freeze when any kernel 4.xx is booted. Btw they come from the factory with Android 7.1 and a 3.14 Android Linux kernel