Armbian for Amlogic S9xxx kernel 5.x

balbes150

I don't think so. This is a proprietary WiFi chip with zero documentation and zero vendor support. The project you mention is from 2 years ago and as far as I can tell, was abandoned.

I actually have three TV boxes with that WiFi chip. It's easier to buy a Realtek WiFi dongle for less than $5 for them if I want. Or if you really want to use that crappy s9082, use a 3.14.29 kernel and the binary driver, but good luck to make it work!

16 minutes ago, purplepumkin said:

It's also easier to buy a Raspberry Pi than to fiddle around with Debian on tv boxes. Thats not the point is it?

The point, in case I wasn't clear enough, is that there is zero documentation and zero support from the S9082 vendor, and the development effort to reverse engineer a linux driver for such a chip is ridiculously high. So, no, I don't think there will ever be a driver for the 4.xx/5.xx linux kernels for a totally unsupported chip such as the S9082. Again, if you need Wifi on a box that uses such a chip, use a USB WiFi dongle.

Check this thread: https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/5457-s905x-unknown-wlan-chip/

Edited by AndrewDB
Added link to relevant thread on Libreelec forum

11 hours ago, purplepumkin said:

It's also easier to buy a Raspberry Pi than to fiddle around with Debian on tv boxes. Thats not the point is it?

Now RPI strongly loses in all respects to s9xxx and rk33xx TV boxes. The only place where the use of RPI is justified, systems that use a variety of external sensors and actuators, of which a large number are produced and there are ready-made systems for their use.

11 hours ago, purplepumkin said:

Wouldn't need luck to make it work as it has worked fine with the LE build for sure. I personally ran it for a while on a box with that chipset. Just thought it would be cool if these patches/modifications could still be applied to that rtl driver to make the wifi work. 

LE did not use patches, but a ready-made closed binary module (driver), which was taken from the finished Android firmware. This binary module was built exclusively for one version of the 3.14 kernel and cannot work with any other versions of the kernel. The manufacturer of the chip does not give anyone the source code from this driver, so no one will spend their time disassembling the binary code and studying it to write a new driver for the kernel 4\5. If you want, you can do the job yourself.

TVBox Nexbox A95X S905 1G Ram. Perfectly installed version 5.44 and higher. But I need Ubuntu 16.04.

I install version 5.37 - everything is fine except that it does not see the network.

dtb.img: gxbb_p200_1G_wetek_hub and gxbb_p200, as with nexbox_a95x_s905 not start.

What can be done in this situation to return the network

1 hour ago, Vasily said:

TVBox Nexbox A95X S905 1G Ram. Perfectly installed version 5.44 and higher. But I need Ubuntu 16.04.

I install version 5.37 - everything is fine except that it does not see the network.

dtb.img: gxbb_p200_1G_wetek_hub and gxbb_p200, as with nexbox_a95x_s905 not start.

What can be done in this situation to return the network

Copy the dtb, kernel and modules (and possibly startup scripts) to the desired image and use.

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

Copy the dtb, kernel and modules (and possibly startup scripts) to the desired image and use.

Exactly what Oleg wrote. Basically you need a Ubuntu 16.04 rootfs from Armbian 5.37 with the kernel, modules and dtbs from Armbian 5.44.

Or there is another alternative: use Armbian 5.44 and create a container with Ubuntu 16.04. Installing LXD on Armbian 5.44 takes 3 minutes at most and installing a container with Ubuntu 16.04 takes another 2 minutes or so. So in 5 minutes you have your Armbian Linux TV box running both Ubuntu 18.04 and 16.04 - thanks to the excellent work of Oleg and the Armbian team.

On 12/14/2018 at 11:17 PM, guidol said:

I did found a "small solution" for the error-msgs

[    9.938370] platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db failed with error -2
[    9.938386] cfg80211: failed to load regulatory.db

Because of the dmesg-error-Message 

[    9.557455] cfg80211: loaded regulatory.db is malformed or signature is missing/invalid

I rechecked the regulatory.db and did found 2 more files to install 

1.) new pem-certificate ( sforshee.key.pub.pem <-- for signature )
2.) new regulatory.bin

In the archive 
http://ftp.be.debian.org/pub/software/network/wireless-regdb/wireless-regdb-2019.03.01.tar.gz

or at

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sforshee/wireless-regdb.git/plain/
you could find the files:
regulatory.db
regulatory.db.p7s
regulatory.bin
sforshee.key.pub.pem

sforshee.x509.pem

copy 
from the archive directory wireless-regdb-2019.03.01 to:

regulatory.db        to /lib/firmware 
regulatory.db.p7s    to /lib/firmware 
regulatory.bin       to /lib/crda
sforshee.key.pub.pem to /lib/crda/pubkeys/

(reboot)

[    9.519254] cfg80211: Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates for regulatory database

wireless-regdb-2019.03.01.zip

On 3/7/2019 at 2:10 AM, AndrewDB said:

I don't think so. This is a proprietary WiFi chip with zero documentation and zero vendor support. The project you mention is from 2 years ago and as far as I can tell, was abandoned.

I actually have three TV boxes with that WiFi chip. It's easier to buy a Realtek WiFi dongle for less than $5 for them if I want. Or if you really want to use that crappy s9082, use a 3.14.29 kernel and the binary driver, but good luck to make it work!

S905X was released three years ago. The main WiFi is rtl8189. 9082C WiFi is an alternative. Now most S905X/S905W are using SSV6051WiFi.
I'm a manufacturer of Android TV box and I'm currently developing armbian and learning how to compile it.

8 hours ago, willie said:

S905X was released three years ago. The main WiFi is rtl8189. 9082C WiFi is an alternative. Now most S905X/S905W are using SSV6051WiFi.
I'm a manufacturer of Android TV box and I'm currently developing armbian and learning how to compile it.

Nice to heard that! I hope that such mini computer can be used easily with linux in a near future and that mainline kernel can be used with most features actives. Maybe a manufacturer can have more weights to obtain drivers for mainline kernel and all the info to define full-featured dtb files.

13 hours ago, purplepumkin said:

Back on topic, and somehow related to RPi haha, is there a way to change the shared memory on S8xx/S9xx like on RPi? I would be great to take back some of that RAM.

Take the dtb and make the necessary changes.

Does anybody know why on USB thumb drive desktop environment starts right away but on a SD card one needs to Crtl+AltF2, log-in and "startx"?

Tested on both:

Armbian_5.73_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.20.2_desktop_20190130.img

Armbian_5.76_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_5.0.0-rc8-g8201cd167-dirty_desktop_20190304.img

4 minutes ago, AlecClaire said:

Does anybody know why on USB thumb drive desktop environment starts right away but on a SD card one needs to Crtl+AltF2, log-in and "startx"?

I'd like to know - startx does not work for me so I have to boot into android to fix this as the screen resolution appears to be too low booting Armbian. Small script to solve would be nice.

On 3/12/2019 at 3:59 PM, balbes150 said:

If the system does not start automatically in DE. There are only two reasons - bad media (Sd card, card reader, badly recorded image, etc.) or wrong DTB.

Well, I tried the same class 10 Sandisk Canvas micro SD card. I've changed the adapter and burnt it again using Rufus. Worked for me. || Also "Safely remove drive" may help, but it's not guaranteed.

Also, I've noticed while testing different cards, different cards readers and thumb drives that the situation varies. So my guess would be that this "bug" occurs not while burning the image, but during system initiation some file gets corrupted.

15 hours ago, Garick Newtzie said:

Is it possible to clone a specific revision in Build-Armbian repo to compile the 4.20 kernel releases instead of 5.0?  The EMMC on the devices I have are not supported in 5.0 and i'd like to install on emmc and compile in https://github.com/kelebek333/rtl8188fu for the rtl8188ftv. 

use commit

https://github.com/150balbes/Build-Armbian/commit/2ec509ae341cdd8508a2ca245ee861dafa276f54

to all

New image 5.77

6 hours ago, balbes150 said:

New version 5.77 (20190318). Updated kernel to 5.0.2. Fixed a bug with the overflow log.

@balbes150 Thanks for the .deb packages from 5.76 to 5.77 :)

for "normal" armbian-releases I did add me a package-information at the end of the file /etc/update-motd.d/10-armbian-header

ARMBIAN_bsp=$(more /etc/armbian-release|grep VERSION|cut -f 2 -d '=')
ARMBIAN_kernel=$(dpkg -s linux-image-$BRANCH-$LINUXFAMILY|grep Version|cut -f 2 -d ' ')
ARMBIAN_uboot=$(dpkg -s linux-u-boot-$BOARD-$BRANCH|grep Version|cut -f 2 -d ' ')
ARMBIAN_dtb=$(dpkg -s linux-dtb-$BRANCH-$LINUXFAMILY|grep Version|cut -f 2 -d ' ')
ARMBIAN_firmware=$(dpkg -s armbian-firmware|grep Version|cut -f 2 -d ' ')
ARMBIAN_config=$(dpkg -s armbian-config|grep Version|cut -f 2 -d ' ')

printf 'package bsp-kernel[\e[0;91m%s\x1B[0m] u-boot[\e[0;91m%s\x1B[0m] dtb[\e[0;91m%s\x1B[0m] firmware[\e[0;91m%s\x1B[0m] config[\e[0;91m%s\x1B[0m]\n' "$ARMBIAN_kernel" "$ARMBIAN_uboot" "$ARMBIAN_dtb" "$ARMBIAN_firmware" "$ARMBIAN_config"
printf '\n'  

for your armbian-version I had to change the "source" because you didnt use as much environment-variables like the "real" one :)

ARMBIAN_bsp=$(more /etc/armbian-release|grep VERSION|cut -f 2 -d '=')
ARMBIAN_kernel=$(dpkg -s linux-image-aml-s912|grep Version|cut -f 2 -d ' ')
ARMBIAN_uboot=$(dpkg -s linux-u-boot-aml-s912-default|grep Version|cut -f 2 -d ' ')
ARMBIAN_dtb=$(dpkg -s linux-dtb-aml-s912|grep Version|cut -f 2 -d ' ')
ARMBIAN_firmware=$(dpkg -s firmware-armbian-full|grep Version|cut -f 2 -d ' ')
ARMBIAN_config=$(dpkg -s armbian-config|grep Version|cut -f 2 -d ' ')

printf 'package bsp-kernel[\e[0;91m%s\x1B[0m] u-boot[\e[0;91m%s\x1B[0m] dtb[\e[0;91m%s\x1B[0m] firmware[\e[0;91m%s\x1B[0m] config[\e[0;91m%s\x1B[0m]\n' "$ARMBIAN_kernel" "$ARMBIAN_uboot" "$ARMBIAN_dtb" "$ARMBIAN_firmware" "$ARMBIAN_config"
printf '\n' 

but now its works too :)

armbian-aml-S912 shows 5.73 because of the package

linux-stretch-root-rockpro64    5.73 

Login with the new released puTTY 0.71 ;) ==> https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/changes.html

Amlogic_S912_armbian_577.jpg

2 hours ago, balbes150 said:

New version 5.77 (20190318). Updated kernel to 5.0.2. Fixed a bug with the overflow log.

Does a simple update do the job ?

"sudo apt update

sudo apt -yf dist-upgrade

sudo apt-get -y --purge autoremove

sudo apt-get autoclean"

Thanks.

22 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Does a simple update do the job ?

"sudo apt update

sudo apt -yf dist-upgrade

sudo apt-get -y --purge autoremove

sudo apt-get autoclean"

Thanks.

I dont think so, because - as I know - there is no respository ...so no entry in /etc/apt/sources.list for the "balbes150 .deb's"

2 hours ago, guidol said:

I dont think so, because - as I know - there is no respository ...so no entry in /etc/apt/sources.list for the "balbes150 .deb's"

You are right. I've just check.

How could we do except reinstall over existing installation ? I don't want to lose my config/apps. Thanks.

21 minutes ago, Peyton said:

You are right. I've just check.

How could we do except reinstall over existing installation ? I don't want to lose my config/apps. Thanks.

if you got a Box with S912 and armbian 5.76 - then you could "update" like I did.
Download the packages from  https://yadi.sk/d/pHxaRAs-tZiei/5.77/deb and

dpkg -i armbian-config_5.77_all.deb
dpkg -i linux-image-aml-s912_5.77_arm64.deb
dpkg -i linux-headers-aml-s912_5.77_arm64.deb
dpkg -i firmware-armbian-full_5.77_all.deb

reboot

(firmware and headers could be optional from your sight of view)

Before this firmware-package I only got a Broadcom (brcm) package installed for the WiFi Firmware

Headers are for compiling Sourcecode

This should leave you apps/config intact.