Armbian for Amlogic S9xxx kernel 5.x

balbes150

Hi friends,

I have this tv box: H96 1G/8G s905x.

I testes version 5.73 (kernel 4.20.2) and yesterday I burned a new sd card with the latest 5.77 (kernel 5).

I'm still unable to make wifi work.

I did different modprobes (all in the first topic information) dhd, wlan, wifi_dummy, etc, etc:

Could you help me?

thnaks in advance.

41032569_X96smartbox_board.PNG.48cd988853eb5b8752c67e989b500b2a.PNG1273652461_X96smartbox.PNG.dd48a36e744e69d7ea53fd8008cf8370.PNGwifichip.PNG.66380670450d7bbb172430fe49bc278e.PNG

13 hours ago, AndrewDB said:

It's a Realtek WiFi module, but your photo is not clear enough. In any case, check the chip number, load the driver and make sure you have the right firmware installed. It should work.

It has 8189etv chip.

Could you help me activate it?

regards

15 hours ago, AndrewDB said:

Hi all,

I downloaded the 8189ETV files but my system misses the kernel sources.

I searched 150balbes https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s905-kernel but I don't know how to accomplish this operation.

I'm too rusty :)

People, could you give me another push and help me???

Regards and thanks in advance.

I followed the last posts with information from realtek drivers sources, 

And then the kernel headers are missing;

I use:

sudo armbian-config -> software -> headers

but nothing changes since /usr/scr is still empty.

I followed this also: https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Advanced-Features/

I'm using armbian loinux aml 5.0.2-aml-s905 #5.77.

what am I missing?

16 hours ago, Gossamer said:

I downloaded the 8189ETV files but my system misses the kernel sources.

I searched 150balbes https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s905-kernel but I don't know how to accomplish this operation.

I'm too rusty :)

People, could you give me another push and help me???

https://yadi.sk/d/Z3mh-PJdfuePiw

10 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

Added to site version 5.77 with NEXT kernel 5.1.0-rc2.

Isn't the dev Kernel 5.0.y?   next is ahead?

Ohhhh... is this on the TV boxes branch?

43 minutes ago, lanefu said:

Isn't the dev Kernel 5.0.y?   next is ahead?

Ohhhh... is this on the TV boxes branch? 

The next version is built from the Linux Next kernel sources with minimal additional patches. That is, it is almost a "pure" core , as it is in the source code. This allows you to evaluate what is working or not in the current version of NEXT (and expect what will happen with a stable kernel when the Next version turns into a stable version).  :)

6 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

The next version is built from the Linux Next kernel sources with minimal additional patches. That is, it is almost a "pure" core , as it is in the source code. This allows you to evaluate what is working or not in the current version of NEXT (and expect what will happen with a stable kernel when the Next version turns into a stable version).

This mostly rhetorical, but what is dev then?

57 minutes ago, lanefu said:

This mostly rhetorical, but what is dev then?

Perhaps in the original Armbian uses its own logic of designation of the cores and the system being built I do not pretend to be true, but I try to stick to the logic of the Linux systems and "adult" distributions. In them, "default" means stable, proven, reliable in use, recommended for the average user. "DEV" is a future system that is being developed , can be improved, but can potentially contain bugs and is recommended for advanced users. "Next" is the analogy of the symbol of the Linux kernel, i.e. the image of the "next" Armbian uses the core of the "NEXT" Linux. So less confusion when comparing the user designations of the image and the kernel, which it has.   :)

PS I do not impose anything on anyone, it is only my personal opinion.

"Sudo apt-get update" will upgrade my apps but will it upgrade the Kernel to the latest version in this case Kernel 5.0.

If not is there a command that will do a Operating System update and upgrade to the latest linux Kernel?

If there is not a command to update the Armbian s912 Armbian Kernel, do I have to download the latest s912 Armbian and start from scratch and reinstall all my apps again?

1 minute ago, Seasalt said:

"Sudo apt-get update" will upgrade my apps but will it upgrade the Kernel to the latest version in this case Kernel 5.0.

If not is there a command that will do a Operating System update and upgrade to the latest linux Kernel?

If there is not a command to update the Armbian s912 Armbian Kernel, do I have to download the latest s912 Armbian and start from scratch and reinstall all my apps again?

run armbian-config   -> system -> freeze

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.67 user-built Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS 4.19.2-aml-s9xxx   
System load:   0.40 0.43 0.28      Up time:       17 min        
Memory usage:  71 % of 836MB      Zram usage:    2 % of 2466Mb     IP:            192.168.6.105
CPU temp:      45°C               
Usage of /:    35% of 29G        

[ 0 security updates available, 9 updates total: apt upgrade ]
Last check: 2019-03-20 06:50

22 minutes ago, lanefu said:

run armbian-config   -> system -> freeze

thanks.

This is what ssh login says.

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.67 user-built Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS 4.19.2-aml-s9xxx   
System load:   0.40 0.43 0.28      Up time:       17 min        
Memory usage:  71 % of 836MB      Zram usage:    2 % of 2466Mb     IP:            192.168.6.105
CPU temp:      45°C               
Usage of /:    35% of 29G        

[ 0 security updates available, 9 updates total: apt upgrade ]
Last check: 2019-03-20 06:50

How do i upgrade to a later s912 armbian?

You have to run "sudo apt upgrade" and not only update.

If no kernel upgrade is proposed, you may have to download the deb file from Oleg's yandex repository: https://yadi.sk/d/pHxaRAs-tZiei/5.77/deb

But be careful, you may have to check that the new kernel support is as good as your current one. You can try just to burn latest image and if everything works as you expect, you can then come back to your current version and install the deb files.

8 hours ago, amirul said:

MXQ Pro 4k s905x

If there is no Update&Backup in android, how else do you update u-boot?

Many ways to do that.

1. Root the device, install TWRP, and install the zip thingy from TWRP.

2. Or use adb in developer mode.

3. Or solder a serial USB UART thingy, interrupt u-boot, and at the u-boot command prompt update u-boot manually.

4. Etc.

There are many ways to skin this cat but the simplest one is the recommended update & backup in Android. I am surprised your box does not have it.

11 hours ago, AndrewDB said:

Many ways to do that.

1. Root the device, install TWRP, and install the zip thingy from TWRP.

2. Or use adb in developer mode.

3. Or solder a serial USB UART thingy, interrupt u-boot, and at the u-boot command prompt update u-boot manually.

4. Etc.

There are many ways to skin this cat but the simplest one is the recommended update & backup in Android. I am surprised your box does not have it.

Installed update&backup apk

Give permission to app for storage

Select aml zip from armbian usb drive

Fail - Update&backup stopped

My guess is apk version incorrect for android 7.1.2 or no permission to update u-boot

2 hours ago, balbes150 said:

setting->more settings->about device->update

@amirul Exactly what Oleg wrote. If you don't have the option to update in "About device", try to install an older firmware for your TV box using the SD card method.

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

You need to select local update and select the file "aml_autoscript.zip"

There is no local update option to select. Managed to get into recovery mode by poking the av hole to get to the option to update via sdcard. Now would you believe it, the sdcard slot is faulty. The is Update via adb option. Have to figure out how to do that I guess.

Downloaded and installed a few update&backup apk. None of them seem to work properly, maybe android 7 is not meant for update&backup

Hi,

I am trying Armbian on NanoPi K2.

I use Armbian_5.75_Nanopik2-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_next_4.19.20_desktop.img.

All is working great except video driver performance...

I installed Kodi and sadly its GUI is really really slow: unusable at all :(

Playing a video in full screen with firefox is too slow also...

I suspect a software issue on Armbian because I already successfully tested a version of LibreElec running very smoothly.
LibreElec runs mali.ko kernel module which handles well GPU of NanoPi K2.

How to tweak Armbian to handle GPU correctly?

I am available to test and to help to improve Armbian support of NanoPi K2 board.
Feel free to ask...

Thank you for your attention