Armbian for Amlogic S9xxx kernel 5.x

balbes150

12 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

New image DEV for Odroid N2  with kernel 4.9 (regular kernel from HK). The sound works and everything else should work (I didn't check).

I will check it out in a few days. Thanks.
We've managed to find a fix for the swap problem( @Brad did ) . It was a kernel issue, they should merge the fix quickly if they haven't already. I'll see if it works on your image with 4.9.
Now the N2 is occupied rendering an animation. By tomorrow everning it's finished.
I'll make my review video in the comming week. I'll add your Armbian to it too.
Did you encounter issue's with USB3 or have you heard anything about it? It's the only issue left I wanted to see fixed. Sometimes (after hours of use) there's a 30 seconds block. Then the desktop continuous again like nothing happened. But none of the USB devices work anymore.
I'm now working headless so I don't have this issue. It's with both Stretch and Ubuntu like that, so I guess it's also a kernel issue. They've used the Android kernel as a base and might have left some things that are not welcome.
Thanks.

@balbes150 I just tried the N2 4.9 dev image. Seems to work great.

zram-config doesn't work as should. But with manual configuration zram works without a problem.  No need for the lowmemorykiller fix.

Spoiler

sudo nano /etc/rc.local -> add
zramctl --find --size 1800M
mkswap /dev/zram0
swapon /dev/zram0

I haven't seen any issue so far. Sound works, video playback is good, for me important, Kdenlive works(doesn't in Stretch(I know, nobody cares but me ))
It performs (a little) better than Mate and Stretch(with 7z). I'll do a lot more tests to confirm this.
Both Mate and Stretch perform +10% worse when governor ondemand vs performance. Here this seems normal(exactly the same scores).
I received a USB3 camera today to review, with Mate it crashed with also my USB3 SSD connected. This works here without a hitch.

I hope the USB crashes will not happen here. They only happen after many hours while using USB devices, when doing renders of multiple hours it's not fun when this happens. 
It rendered 3 days headless and didn't have any issue then.

This might be the perfect image for me.  
I'll do a lot more tests on it. I'll let you know if I find something important.
Thanks for the great work.

6 hours ago, blazini36 said:

Anyone working on an RT-preempt patched kernel for the N2? Probably not the place to ask but I'll pull my hair out trying to get a patched kernel going (I've tried).

What core are we talking about ?

3 hours ago, balbes150 said:

What core are we talking about ?

Any one that works? lol. Actually it was suggested to me on the Hardkernel forums that RT patches won't work until kernel 5.1 maybe which I see you have gotten 5.1 to run.  Unfortunately no RT patch set exists for 5.1 yet.

@balbes150 Is there any way to make the system poweroff? With my x96 mini on the 5.1 rc, both reboot and poweroff, reboot the system. With 3.14, poweroff would prevent a reboot and show a red light on the front of the box:

root@aml:~# sudo poweroff
[   53.748046] reboot: Power down
bl31 reboot reason: 0x8
bl31 reboot reason: 0x8
system cmd  0.

With 3.14 I would see reason 0x108

12 hours ago, teridotoji said:

I cant understand why it cant see eMMC on my x96max 4G/32G even with 5.78 or 5.82! What is problem here? 

Compare the photo component from the Freacktab forum and on your device. Perhaps you have other components (clone).

1 hour ago, e2w said:

Is there any way to make the system poweroff? With my x96 mini on the 5.1 rc, both reboot and poweroff, reboot the system. With 3.14, poweroff would prevent a reboot and show a red light on the front of the box:

What dtb is used ?

Just tested the Armbian_5.82_Aml-s905_Debian_stretch_default_5.1.0-rc1_desktop_20190427.img

On a Beelink MiniMXIII which has the latest Beelink firmware installed (v107; which is utterly horrible and broken)

I used the meson-gxbb-p201.dtb

Ran into an issue with the box refusing to boot from a microSD card - a problem which doesn't occur with CoreELEC.

A bit of forum searching suggested burning the Armbian image onto a USB stick instead - it's a decent workaround.

Perhaps I need to update the outdated version of U-Boot that's on the box to fix the problem? Or maybe it's something else?

I'm certainly not a Linux/Embedded Linux expert; I'm gonna have to learn about cross compiling for Arm64 to update this thing.

Picture & sound is working

WiFi works (Realtek_RTL8723BS)

I know for several years now there's been a lot of effort to support these boxes properly in Linux i.e:

http://linux-meson.com/doku.php?id=start

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/panfrost

http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-amlogic.git;a=summary

It'll be great to finally fully update it and use it as a low powered PC instead of just a KODI media player.

https://imgur.com/a/G9V8TRv

Edited by mwnn

7 hours ago, teridotoji said:

x96 mini should use p281/tx3mini dtb I think

@balbes150 I used all the s905w, s905x and khadas dtbs but still no poweroff.

Running Linux aml 5.1.0-rc1-aml-s905 #5.82 SMP PREEMPT Sat Apr 27 22:41:29 MSK 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Is it working with other hardware?

I tried tracing the differences in the kernel and it seems like the stop call is different in the mainline kernel vs khadas-3.14. I haven't had a chance to build a kernel to test.

smp.c ipi_cpu_stop

__asm__ volatile("dsb sy");

__asm__ volatile("isb");

while (1)

__asm__ volatile("wfi");

mainline

smp.c:

static void ipi_cpu_stop(unsigned int cpu)

{

set_cpu_online(cpu, false);

local_daif_mask();

sdei_mask_local_cpu();

while (1)

cpu_relax();

}

Hi,

I use this Box from Gearbest: https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_736121.html?wid=1433363&lkid=21183923

I got this Box running with "meson gxl-S905W-p281" DTB and the newest kernel. My problem is, that I have no wlan installed. I found no dtb which is running and where wlan works.

I opened the box and found out, that wlan chip "SV6051P" is on the board. Maybe a person also have a problem with this wlan chip and can tell me which dtb/driver I should use.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Jumperbillijumper said:

Hi,

I use this Box from Gearbest: https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_736121.html?wid=1433363&lkid=21183923

I got this Box running with "meson gxl-S905W-p281" DTB and the newest kernel. My problem is, that I have no wlan installed. I found no dtb which is running and where wlan works.

I opened the box and found out, that wlan chip "SV6051P" is on the board. Maybe a person also have a problem with this wlan chip and can tell me which dtb/driver I should use.

Thanks!

use <5.44 instead 

Apologies for the trivial question,

but...

How can I upgrade the whole image, for example from 

Armbian_5.77_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_5.0.2_20190318.img

to

Armbian_5.84_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_5.1.0-rc1_20190507.img

especially when it's installed on internal eMMc... ?

Thank you in advance for your replies and apologies for the inconvenience caused.

I am at a loss how to run this on a Odroid N2 with Linux installed. The instructions from the first post seem to assume you have Android.

Is it just putting the img on SD or eMMC and booting from there, like with a standard Armbian install?

49 minutes ago, emk2203 said:

I am at a loss how to run this on a Odroid N2 with Linux installed. The instructions from the first post seem to assume you have Android.

Is it just putting the img on SD or eMMC and booting from there, like with a standard Armbian install?

Just install as any other Armbian. You do need to choose the DEV branch.

@balbes150 Disco? I guess I'll have a party tonight. I'll check it out now. Thank you.

4 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Added test images 5.84 to the server with the Buster and Disco.

For vim1 VIM2 x96max Vega s95 etc models, there is remote support in all 5.84 images.

Hello balbes150

I just use 5.84 bionic on mini m8s II

Armbian_5.84_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_5.1.0-rc1_desktop_20190507.img

after enter password root, 

It stop at penguin

Armbian_5.84_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_5.1.0-rc1_20190507

# cpufreq-set -f 2.02GHz

# sysbench cpu --cpu-max-prime=20000 run

events per second:   304.39

# cpufreq-set -f 1.5GHz

# sysbench cpu --cpu-max-prime=20000 run

events per second:   304.58

Even set to 2.02GHz and htop, cpufreq-info shows 2.02GHz, seems it's only a dummy for showScreenshot_2019-05-09_15-38-53.png.cf284d74190a2d50eecf176c67297817.png

On 4/21/2019 at 3:18 PM, amirul said:

add video=1920x1080 to the end of the bootargs line in /boot/uEnv.ini 

Hi, thank you!          video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60 video=Composite-1:d  - works well.