Armbian for Amlogic S9xxx kernel 5.x

balbes150

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

Perhaps your sources are not adapted for the new kernel. I don't do DVB and don't know what they need to build.

It needs the .config file which should be in /lib/modules/5.2.0-aml-g12/build/. It is present in all new releases of Linus (Mint 19, Ubuntu 18.04 etc)

2 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Perhaps your sources are not adapted for the new kernel. I don't do DVB and don't know what they need to build.

The build directory and .config is created when modules are compiled, but for some reason it is either deleted or omitted on Armbian. Can you rebuild the image and not omit/delete the build directory?

26 minutes ago, Reddwarf said:

Are you running the latest image, and what other dtb's have you tried?

gxl-s905w-p281.dtb, gxl-s905x-p212.dbt and p218-s905w-2g from librelec. I used 20190706 buster image. Also, wifi on libreelev and derivatives is working fine

I have this error with S905X2 CPU on last 2 images. I hadn't on 5.1.

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq: No such file or directory

Do i have to do anything to avoid it ? Thanks.

Hi guys, and thank you balbes150 for your great efforts!

I've been trying to get ubuntu working on x96mini.
I flashed USB drive with Armbian_5.91_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_5.1.15_20190710.img.xz and it works just fine from USB boot, however there are some problems installing to eMMC.

Before running /root/install.sh I edited uEnv.ini and extlinux.conf to include meson-gxl-s905w-p281.dtb as I considered it's the most suitable dtb for x96 mini because the SoC is s905w.

Installation to eMMC completed and I was able to boot from eMMC after removing USB drive, the problem is that the majority of directories and files (including /bin, /etc,  /usr and) are owned by uid 1023 and gid 1023 instead of root. They also seem to be read-only. This basically renders the system useless, because root can't edit system files or install system packages, etc. I tried replacing  1023 with root but it's not allowed (read-only).

What could be the issue? Is it because of wrong eMMC partition tables? Or is it something from the installation script?

1 hour ago, dorin said:

What could be the issue? Is it because of wrong eMMC partition tables? Or is it something from the installation script?

You could try booting from usb again, mount the emmc partition rw, then as root (sudo -s) change ownership back to root.

Okay, I rebooted and the mount was not read-only anymore for some reason.

Then I tried to fix ownership and so far everything works fine. It's probably still messed up but so far so good:

cd /
find . -uid 1023 -exec chown root {} +
find . -gid 1023 -exec chgrp root {} +

There were some symlinks like /var/run -> /run that could not be changed, they are still under 1023, but I hope it doesn't affect operation.

EDIT: This made my system functional but it's still messed up in subtle ways -> Don't try this fix. If you see any uid 1023, run away, do a clean reinstall because it's simply not fixable.

I always use armbian-config for install onto eMMC on x96mini 2/16. Dtb I use is always meson-gxl-s905w-p281.dtb. Never had problems that way!

On desktop version of 20190708 bionic build installed system works like expected with USB-soundcard(because my screen got no speakers and internal AV doesn't work..) and eth or usb-wifi.
Disco desktop works on x96mini basically too, but there I need to start every configuration tool (armbian-config, gnome-language-selector..) or anything with "sudo" within a terminal. So disco never found its way onto my eMMC just on card..

8 hours ago, Turgus said:

I always use armbian-config for install onto eMMC on x96mini 2/16. Dtb I use is always meson-gxl-s905w-p281.dtb. Never had problems that way!

On desktop version of 20190708 bionic build installed system works like expected with USB-soundcard(because my screen got no speakers and internal AV doesn't work..) and eth or usb-wifi.
Disco desktop works on x96mini basically too, but there I need to start every configuration tool (armbian-config, gnome-language-selector..) or anything with "sudo" within a terminal. So disco never found its way onto my eMMC just on card..

Oh thanks, I didn't know it can be done with armbian-config. I will give it a try, because my ownership change "fix" only messed the system in subtle ways (ping returns "operation not permitted", pip install hangs forever, git clone hangs forever..).

So, did you run armbian-config from root or from a normal user with sudo? Also, where is the option to do so? In System settings I can only see Freeze, Nightly, Bootenv, etc. but no Install.

Nevermind, I'd probably done something stupid like removing the USB memory before poweroff.

I re-flashed USB memory, ran again /root/install.sh and permissions are ok, no more 1023 garbage.

@balbes150 I Cloned into Armbian as instructed on Github and build an image, but even thou Armbian is 5.91 the kernel is just 4.19. Isn't the source updated on the repo?

Still, I got no .build in /lib/modules/<version>/, can you include it in the next build please?

Edit: It also produced just one ext4 partition in the image, annnnnnnd - it does not boot.

hi

thats no use mac or ethaddr

impossible to change mac address, i have two x96, older revisions accept the setting in uenv and extlinux but now its totally useless

no chance too in network manager

how to simply change it without boot too complex stuff?

On 7/11/2019 at 9:12 PM, balbes150 said:

New universal version 5.91_20190711 (5.2 kernel). Works on all s9xxx with sound.

I have installed 5.80 on EMMC,  how can I update it to the latest version without reinstall?

12 hours ago, Reddwarf said:

I Cloned into Armbian as instructed on Github and build an image, but even thou Armbian is 5.91 the kernel is just 4.19. Isn't the source updated on the repo?

Edit: It also produced just one ext4 partition in the image, annnnnnnd - it does not boot.

You used the official GIT, there is no support for TV boxes.

12 hours ago, Reddwarf said:

Still, I got no .build in /lib/modules/<version>/, can you include it in the next build please?

No, I don't plan on adding anything extra.

16 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

That is NOT extra, it is standard content on ALL other Linux distributions. And there was actually an option to include DVB support when I configured, but the kernel was the old 4.19... :(

30 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

Here's a snippet from the content of .config from /lib/modules/build/<version>/

#
# Automatically generated file; DO NOT EDIT.
# Linux/x86 4.15.0-54-generic Kernel Configuration
#
CONFIG_64BIT=y
CONFIG_X86_64=y
CONFIG_X86=y
CONFIG_INSTRUCTION_DECODER=y
CONFIG_OUTPUT_FORMAT="elf64-x86-64"
CONFIG_ARCH_DEFCONFIG="arch/x86/configs/x86_64_defconfig"
CONFIG_LOCKDEP_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_STACKTRACE_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_MMU=y
CONFIG_ARCH_MMAP_RND_BITS_MIN=28
CONFIG_ARCH_MMAP_RND_BITS_MAX=32
CONFIG_ARCH_MMAP_RND_COMPAT_BITS_MIN=8
CONFIG_ARCH_MMAP_RND_COMPAT_BITS_MAX=16
CONFIG_NEED_DMA_MAP_STATE=y
CONFIG_NEED_SG_DMA_LENGTH=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_ISA_DMA=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_BUG=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_BUG_RELATIVE_POINTERS=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_HWEIGHT=y
CONFIG_ARCH_MAY_HAVE_PC_FDC=y
CONFIG_RWSEM_XCHGADD_ALGORITHM=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_CALIBRATE_DELAY=y
CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_CPU_RELAX=y
CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_CACHE_LINE_SIZE=y
CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_FILTER_PGPROT=y
CONFIG_HAVE_SETUP_PER_CPU_AREA=y
CONFIG_NEED_PER_CPU_EMBED_FIRST_CHUNK=y
CONFIG_NEED_PER_CPU_PAGE_FIRST_CHUNK=y
CONFIG_ARCH_HIBERNATION_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_ARCH_SUSPEND_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_ARCH_WANT_HUGE_PMD_SHARE=y
CONFIG_ARCH_WANT_GENERAL_HUGETLB=y
CONFIG_ZONE_DMA32=y
CONFIG_AUDIT_ARCH=y
CONFIG_ARCH_SUPPORTS_OPTIMIZED_INLINING=y
CONFIG_ARCH_SUPPORTS_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC=y
CONFIG_HAVE_INTEL_TXT=y
CONFIG_X86_64_SMP=y
CONFIG_ARCH_SUPPORTS_UPROBES=y
CONFIG_FIX_EARLYCON_MEM=y
CONFIG_PGTABLE_LEVELS=4
CONFIG_DEFCONFIG_LIST="/lib/modules/$UNAME_RELEASE/.config"
CONFIG_IRQ_WORK=y
CONFIG_BUILDTIME_EXTABLE_SORT=y
CONFIG_THREAD_INFO_IN_TASK=y

#
# General setup
#
CONFIG_INIT_ENV_ARG_LIMIT=32
CONFIG_CROSS_COMPILE=""
# CONFIG_COMPILE_TEST is not set
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION=""
# CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO is not set
CONFIG_HAVE_KERNEL_GZIP=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KERNEL_BZIP2=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KERNEL_LZMA=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KERNEL_XZ=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KERNEL_LZO=y

It seems that the build directory is a link so possibly is the .config file somewhere else but I don't know Linux well enough to make a guess

22 hours ago, trulyliu said:

I have installed 5.80 on EMMC,  how can I update it to the latest version without reinstall?

You will need to build the .deb files from source in order to upgrade.  I have been doing this for the last couple of months and things seem stable enough for this work fairly smoothly.  You will need to use the build environment fork from balbes150's git repository (https://github.com/150balbes/Build-Armbian).  It is quite simple to do a build from source if you have an intel based machine running Ubuntu18.04.  (Note there is one mistake in the instructions, when is says to "cd build" after "git clone https://github.com/150balbes/Build-Armbian", it should say "cd Build-Armbian")

Once you have built the .debs you can use apt to upgrade them in your installation.  Look at what packages you have installed and upgrade to the newer versions you have built.

I would recommend doing a image backup before you attempt the upgrade until you are comfortable with the process.  To make a backup, burn an Armbian image to SD or USB, boot from it and run the 'ddbr' command to backup the eMMC. Then you will have a backup image to restore from if something goes wrong during an upgrade.

Just now, SteeMan said:

You will need to build the .deb files from source in order to upgrade.  I have been doing this for the last couple of months and things seem stable enough for this work fairly smoothly.  You will need to use the build environment fork from balbes150's git repository (https://github.com/150balbes/Build-Armbian).  It is quite simple to do a build from source if you have an intel based machine running Ubuntu18.04.  (Note there is one mistake in the instructions, when is says to "cd build" after "git clone https://github.com/150balbes/Build-Armbian", it should say "cd Build-Armbian")

Once you have built the .debs you can use apt to upgrade them in your installation.  Look at what packages you have installed and upgrade to the newer versions you have built.

I would recommend doing a image backup before you attempt the upgrade until you are comfortable with the process.  To make a backup, burn an Armbian image to SD or USB, boot from it and run the 'ddbr' command to backup the eMMC. Then you will have a backup image to restore from if something goes wrong during an upgrade.

Thank you very much. I will have a try.

Im' trying to build a new image with full DVB support from Balbes150's fork, but I ran into this error. Could it be that the kernel gets too big or is this something different?

CC      include/net/netfilter/nf_tables_offload.h.s
scripts/Makefile.build:304: recipe for target 'include/net/netfilter/nf_tables_offload.h.s' failed
Makefile:1080: recipe for target 'include' failed
[ error ] ERROR in function compile_kernel [ compilation.sh:380 ]
[ error ] Kernel was not built [ @host ]
[ o.k. ] Process terminated
karstein@ceres:~/Build-Armbian$