Armbian for Amlogic S9xxx kernel 5.x

balbes150

7 hours ago, talraash said:

Just write image, change dtb x96-max-rmii  and run box with reset button in av. 

Exactly what I'm doing. I tried with another SD card and a USB key, same result, just error and reboot on android ... No idea what I could do to diagnose the issue.

18 hours ago, Janaboy said:

Can it be solved without deleting my armbian? 

I've installed lot if things, i dont want to loose them :(

What if i burn the u-boot img from the stock rom into emmc? Like it is on the sd card? 

You can make a backup of the entire root system and after u-boot recovery, deploy it back. When restoring u-boot will not clear the partition table (MBR), it will require you to perform a clean installation of Armbian (with a subsequent recovery is made of the copy in the created partition EXT4).

Hey Balbes150,

First of all, thanks for all the hard work getting mainline up and running on the Odroid N2! I'm using your latest unified gl12 non-desktop image, and it works wonderfully, with a few odd quirks.

Networking is a bit... Weird. I had to wipe the NetworkManager configs 4 times just to get the same config to stick between reboots. Setting the MAC address from the startup arguments did not work (as described in the original post), and NetworkManager only accepted it properly once I did the change from Cockpit (which is a great web server management tool, I can only recommend it). However the network config, even this way, is often dropped after a reboot, even though the config file exists in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections...

Rebooting takes ages - up to 10 minutes, for some reason, and sometimes requires a full-on power cycle (pulling the PSU for 5 minutes from the board). 

1 hour ago, fonix232 said:

I'm using your latest unified gl12 non-desktop image,

I had to wipe the NetworkManager

non-desktop image = SERVER ? As far as I remember, there is no NetworkManager in the server image.

Rebooting takes ages - up to 10 minutes, for some reason, and sometimes requires a full-on power cycle (pulling the PSU for 5 minutes from the board). 

What media is used ? Which u-boot option is used (where does the - SPI or SD\eMMC switch point) ?

On 7/28/2019 at 9:58 AM, balbes150 said:

You can make a backup of the entire root system and after u-boot recovery, deploy it back. When restoring u-boot will not clear the partition table (MBR), it will require you to perform a clean installation of Armbian (with a subsequent recovery is made of the copy in the created partition EXT4).

Trying to figure out how to make backup, not that expert.. 

Hey guys !
I was trying to do everything as @balbes150 said, but I think I did something wrong. So I don't have default rom on x96, I deleted it and installed custom one called "ATVXperience", but it still had "update from local drive" option. So I had a ready armbian flash drive. I booted up my tv box, then opened update tab, selected aml....zip. It went rebooting for a few sec and then stuck on a loading screen. Without usb stick it loads rom normally, but when I try to boot box with usb stick,  it just stucks on loading screen. Did someone face that kinda problem ?

10 hours ago, balbes150 said:

non-desktop image = SERVER ? As far as I remember, there is no NetworkManager in the server image.

What media is used ? Which u-boot option is used (where does the - SPI or SD\eMMC switch point) ?

Hmm, weird, OOTB the server image did come with NetworkManager (Cockpit is capable of managing network interfaces through ifupdown and the usual networks config as well).

I'm using a 32GB eMMC with direct boot, no SPI.

14 hours ago, Janaboy said:

Trying to figure out how to make backup, not that expert..  

Start the system from external media, mount the EMMC partition with the data, and run a simple package command to the TAR archive (or tar.gz)

13 hours ago, Janaboy said:

Attached

eMMC

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 14.5 GiB, 15518924800 bytes, 30310400 sectors

12 hours ago, fonix232 said:

OOTB the server image

What exactly is the version of the Armbian image ?

12 hours ago, fonix232 said:

I'm using a 32GB eMMC with direct boot, no SPI. 

I have not checked the eMMC, Noa SD card or USB flash drive system restarts without problems.

4 hours ago, balbes150 said:

What exactly is the version of the Armbian image ?

5.91, your latest build from 0724. Ubuntu Disco server image.

4 hours ago, balbes150 said:

I have not checked the eMMC, Noa SD card or USB flash drive system restarts without problems.

I restart without problem as well, it just takes... Long. About 10 minutes. The device is picked up on the network immediately, however the services (e.g. SSH, Cockpit) actively refuse connection up to around 10 minutes after boot. Sometimes it's faster (up in 30-40 seconds with a full reboot), sometimes it's slow-ish (3-5 minutes for a full boot), but most of the time takes 8-10 minutes.

3 hours ago, Janaboy said:

Yes, but how this help me to solve the issue with the missing u-boot?

If you are not familiar with unpacking firmware (that would pull out of it ready u-boot for eMMC), you'd better use standard USB tools Burn Tool to restore the working firmware.

23 minutes ago, fonix232 said:

I restart without problem as well, it just takes... Long. About 10 minutes. The device is picked up on the network immediately, however the services (e.g. SSH, Cockpit) actively refuse connection up to around 10 minutes after boot. Sometimes it's faster (up in 30-40 seconds with a full reboot), sometimes it's slow-ish (3-5 minutes for a full boot), but most of the time takes 8-10 minutes. 

By default, the system checks for updates, try disabling it and performing updates manually.

14 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

If you are not familiar with unpacking firmware (that would pull out of it ready u-boot for eMMC), you'd better use standard USB tools Burn Tool to restore the working firmware.

Wait :)

I guess this conversation went into a wrong way :)

I have restored the Android and sent you the requested fdisk -l result.

My issues is that after using the install.sh it is not able to boot Armbian from eMMC only if i use a recovery sd (which only contains an u-boot).

This is where the log has been provided from the console.

So the question how can i restore the u-boot to able to boot from eMMC without using the SD Card?

I was able to unpack the original firmware image and i have the u-boot if that is help.

But not sure what is the exact way to solve this.

Thanks

Hello,
I have a beeling gt1 2gb ram s912 purchased about 2 years ago.
I'm trying various versions of armbian but I can't seem to find the right one. I unlocked the dual boot but practically no version of the boot (red beelink logo remains), only a couple of older versions boot, they come to the login but unfortunately the USBs are not recognized and I can't use the keyboard. Could anyone help me?
Thanks in advance
David

2 hours ago, Janaboy said:

I guess this conversation went into a wrong way :)

I have restored the Android and sent you the requested fdisk -l result.

My issues is that after using the install.sh it is not able to boot Armbian from eMMC only if i use a recovery sd (which only contains an u-boot).

This is where the log has been provided from the console.

So the question how can i restore the u-boot to able to boot from eMMC without using the SD Card?

I was able to unpack the original firmware image and i have the u-boot if that is help.

But not sure what is the exact way to solve this.

Show the output UART of commands from u-boot (printenv) before and after installation.

20 hours ago, asyscom said:

Hello,
I have a beeling gt1 2gb ram s912 purchased about 2 years ago.
I'm trying various versions of armbian but I can't seem to find the right one. I unlocked the dual boot but practically no version of the boot (red beelink logo remains), only a couple of older versions boot, they come to the login but unfortunately the USBs are not recognized and I can't use the keyboard. Could anyone help me?
Thanks in advance
David

today i continued to try different versions of dtb without success, the oly dtb that boot is meson-gxl-s905x-khadas-vim.dtb but no usb detected

FYI there is a bug (missing dependency) in Ubunto 19.x Disco with xfce4 which leads to an issue starting programs from the menu. It can be fixed with:

sudo apt install libexo-1-0

and things work as expected again :)

21 hours ago, Janaboy said:

That means it will never work?

You can try two options. 1 look For a firmware version where u-boot will be able to install to eMMC (maybe even older versions with Android 6\7\8 will be better). 2. Try to test the new u-boot-2019 for gxbb models, but it is potentially dangerous to get a brick with recovery only through the contact closure on the eMMC.

16 hours ago, Reddwarf said:

Is the source on Github always up-to-date with the latest image you have released?

No

16 hours ago, Reddwarf said:

And once downloaded, will the source automagically update itself each time it is compiled? 

If the corresponding option is enabled

Sorry guys, haven't been here for a while.

I've seen new images are tagged as g12, so this is s905x2 family, can you tell me what do i need to do to make it run on s905x, as i remember i need to edit uenv.ini file?

I never needed to do that because i have vim1, and armbian images were using vim dtb as default.

8 hours ago, Tommy21 said:

Sorry guys, haven't been here for a while.

I've seen new images are tagged as g12, so this is s905x2 family, can you tell me what do i need to do to make it run on s905x, as i remember i need to edit uenv.ini file?

I never needed to do that because i have vim1, and armbian images were using vim dtb as default.

AFAIK these are universal images, just edit uEnv.ini to point to the correct DTB (or extlinux.ini).

Goodmornig,

anyone know which could be the correct (or working) dtb image for beeling gt1? I've only 1 dtb partially working, boot but  it doesn't recognize the usb ports and I can't use the keyboard to do the installation.

thanks

Davide

1 hour ago, asyscom said:

anyone know which could be the correct (or working) dtb image for beeling gt1? I've only 1 dtb partially working, boot but  it doesn't recognize the usb ports and I can't use the keyboard to do the installation.

My gt1 ultimate is currently working as my home server. If I remember well, I'm using default dtb (vim2) on an armbian 5.70 image with kernel 4.19. I can't check know, but I can look at the end of the week.