Armbian for Amlogic S9xxx kernel 5.x

balbes150

7 hours ago, balbes150 said:

2. I checked, the screen resolution of 1440 is in the list and works on my monitor on all images on VIM3.

Thank you for checking. I tried the Ubuntu 5.3 image from Khadas and it's the same there. Also no 1440p, but 4k works. Strange thing is, with the RK3399's 1440p works fine but not 4k. 
We know it's not an issue with your image. Probably kernel/display problem I guess. 
I'm happy to use my M4 with my 4K display, and the VIM3 with my 1080p display. I guess 1440p wouldn't work well with it since no VPU drivers. Thanks.

yesterday I did try to compile a new aml-s912 Image for my Sunvell T95K Pro, but it failed with:

CC      drivers/xen/xlate_mmu.o
  AR      drivers/xen/built-in.a
  AR      drivers/built-in.a
[ error ] ERROR in function compile_kernel [ compilation.sh:385 ]
[ error ] Kernel was not built [ @host ]
[ o.k. ] Process terminated
root@core2duo(192.168.6.19):/home/guido/150balbes#

As compile options I did add the WIREGUARD=no but it didnt help :(
Then @martinayotte give me the right additional idea (in another thread about a RockPi 4):
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/8719-rock-pi-4/?do=findComment&comment=87769 )
Add to the WIREGUARD=no also AUFS=no

Normally I do use/compile debian buster, but the created image got OOPS with the kernel (kernel crashes/exceptions).

So I did give Ubuntu Bionic a try and and now my Sunvell T95K Pro is booting:

____  ___  _ ____
/ ___|/ _ \/ |___ \
\___ \ (_) | | __) |
 ___) \__, | |/ __/
|____/  /_/|_|_____|

Welcome to Ubuntu Bionic with Armbian Linux 5.4.0-rc3-next-20191017-aml-s912
package bsp-kernel[5.98] dtb[5.98] firmware[5.98] config[5.98]

CPU temperature does work and not the frequecy in htop.
armbianmonitor -m does also show the cpu-freq/Mhz:

root@t95k-pro(192.168.6.62):~# armbianmonitor -m
Stop monitoring using [ctrl]-[c]
Time       big.LITTLE   load %cpu %sys %usr %nice %io %irq   CPU  C.St.

11:44:00:  500/ 500MHz  0.82   2%   0%   1%   0%   0%   0% 52.0°C  0/6
11:44:05:  500/ 500MHz  0.75   0%   0%   0%   0%   0%   0% 52.0°C  0/6
11:44:10:  500/ 500MHz  0.69   0%   0%   0%   0%   0%   0% 52.0°C  0/6

but echo 'heartbeat' > /sys/class/leds/vim:red:power/trigger

doesnt work anymore - which it does before under debian buster with kernel 5.3.0 :(
I do use the Vim2 DTB for this LED, because with GXM Q201 the LED wasnt available

t95kpro_htop.jpg

Hi

Great thanks Balbes150 for the last 2 years with your Armbian images. 

I have different S912/S905x2 boxes, and no preblem to start Armbian.  But my last Boxes comes with Android 9 and with by update the "aml_autoscript.zip" come this error

E : footer is wrong

update package verification took 0.0´s (result 1)

E : signature verification failed

E : error 21

When i downgrade to android 8 i have no problems. But my next buy are S905x3 boxes and here is only Android 9

Can anyone help my?

thanks

4 hours ago, balbes150 said:

aml-912 and aml-905 branch builds are deprecated and no longer supported. You need to use the g12 branch

but aml-g12 does only show Amlogic S905X2 and S922X as CPU type.

Or do I have a old git-clone?

Should I clone a newer one like

https://github.com/150balbes/Build-Armbian (newer changes)

OR

https://github.com/150balbes/build (seems to be older)

aml-g12.jpg

12 hours ago, guidol said:

but aml-g12 does only show Amlogic S905X2 and S922X as CPU type.

Do not pay attention to the inscriptions. I have been using this group for a long time to release a single generic image for all s9xxx.

5 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Do not pay attention to the inscriptions. I have been using this group for a long time to release a single generic image for all s9xxx.

OK ;)

your ./compile.sh has the same "error" like -formerly- ( see https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/1581 ) in the original armbian-build-system:
actual line:

su `stat --format=%U $SRC/.git` -c bash $TMPFILE

and should be:

su `stat --format=%U $SRC/.git` -c "bash $TMPFILE"

compiling the image did work fine for aml-g12 :)

but the debian buster version doenst work as smooth as the ubuntu bionic version on my Sunvell T95K Pro (S912),

so I do use now ubuntu bionic on the T95K Pro:

_    __  __ _     ____ _ ____
   / \  |  \/  | |   / ___/ |___ \
  / _ \ | |\/| | |  | |  _| | __) |
 / ___ \| |  | | |__| |_| | |/ __/
/_/   \_\_|  |_|_____\____|_|_____|

Welcome to Debian Buster with Armbian Linux 5.4.0-rc3-aml-g12
package bsp-kernel[5.98] u-boot[5.98] dtb[Khadas VIM2] firmware[5.98] config[5.98]

==================================================================================
 _____ ___  ____  _  __     ____  ____   ___
|_   _/ _ \| ___|| |/ /    |  _ \|  _ \ / _ \
  | || (_) |___ \| ' /_____| |_) | |_) | | | |
  | | \__, |___) | . \_____|  __/|  _ <| |_| |
  |_|   /_/|____/|_|\_\    |_|   |_| \_\\___/

Welcome to Ubuntu Bionic with Armbian Linux 5.4.0-rc3-aml-g12
package bsp-kernel[5.98] u-boot[5.98] dtb[Khadas VIM2] firmware[5.98] config[5.98]

root@t95k-pro(192.168.6.62):~#

Problem I have:

On both reboot doenst work, so I have to power-cycle.
BUT on the debian-version the T95K Pro does boot into Linux again - with ubuntu the T95K Pro will boot into Android

and I have to re-apply the aml_autoscript to get it boot into ubuntu :-(

Hello,

I have also the problem guidol has run into for a long, long time.

Reboot doenst work. I have to "shutdown -h now" and then power-cycle.

The weird thing i run into is, the system boots just every 2. time from emmc into armbian.

I have then to boot from sd, "shutdown -h now" and then power-cycle and the next boot, boots into system from emmc.

For me, it is a work around but not very comfortable.

Regards

Cyber

@guidol,

Sorry i do not see these shutdown messages. I am connected via putty and ssh to the box. I get immediately the ssh disconnection message.

Till now, there was no need to connect to the serial lines you use i think. The box is still unopened :-)

Maybe i should do this to see the uboot messages during boot. This would be helpful.

8 minutes ago, cyber said:

Till now, there was no need to connect to the serial lines you use i think. The box is still unopened :-)

Mine does show this via HDMI-Port ;)

Thats why I did a "screenshot" via the camera.

Mine was opened/closed long time ago :)

54 minutes ago, guidol said:

Mine does show this via HDMI-Port ;)

Thats why I did a "screenshot" via the camera.

Mine was opened/closed long time ago :)

I forgot this box owns a HDMI-Port ;-)

I was not satisfied with the sound (atmos) capabilities of the android box. So i substituted an old Dockstar with this box as NAS.

I did an update to 5.98 via apt-get upgrade. Suddenly a "shutdown -r now" works. The unit is back within 20 sec. 

On 10/18/2019 at 1:33 PM, guidol said:

On both reboot doenst work, so I have to power-cycle.
BUT on the debian-version the T95K Pro does boot into Linux again - with ubuntu the T95K Pro will boot into Android

and I have to re-apply the aml_autoscript to get it boot into ubuntu :-(

I checked on Vega s96 (s912) Telos (s905) VIM2 (s912), shutdown and reboot work without problems in Ubuntu and Debian (hardware, after shutdown, normally turns on by button or remote control).

On 10/18/2019 at 12:33 PM, guidol said:

T95K Pro:

_    __  __ _     ____ _ ____
   / \  |  \/  | |   / ___/ |___ \
  / _ \ | |\/| | |  | |  _| | __) |
 / ___ \| |  | | |__| |_| | |/ __/
/_/   \_\_|  |_|_____\____|_|_____|

Welcome to Debian Buster with Armbian Linux 5.4.0-rc3-aml-g12

==================================================================================
 _____ ___  ____  _  __     ____  ____   ___
|_   _/ _ \| ___|| |/ /    |  _ \|  _ \ / _ \
  | || (_) |___ \| ' /_____| |_) | |_) | | | |
  | | \__, |___) | . \_____|  __/|  _ <| |_| |
  |_|   /_/|____/|_|\_\    |_|   |_| \_\\___/

Welcome to Ubuntu Bionic with Armbian Linux 5.4.0-rc3-aml-g12

root@t95k-pro(192.168.6.62):~#

Is it normal you use khadas vim2 dtb for your T95K pro ?

1 hour ago, Peyton said:

Is it normal you use khadas vim2 dtb for your T95K pro ?

In the last versions until kernel 5.3.0 I did use the khadas vim2 dtb, because there I could use the vim-red-led in /sys/class/leds for a blinking heartbeat  led.
Before this I did use gxm_q201_2g.dtb (which the T95K Pro is normally identified), but with the khasad vim2 dtb the ethnernet port does work much better ;)

7 hours ago, cyber said:

I did an update to 5.98 via apt-get upgrade. Suddenly a "shutdown -r now" works. The unit is back within 20 sec. 

the image I did compile is already at 5.98, but I could try to "apz update" and check if the reboot then will work ;)

[EDIT] the only new package was

distro-info-data

Reboot didnt work - do you use ubuntu bionic or debian buster? which kernel version?

After that the T95K Pro did boot into Android (because LED lit up), but with a black screen :(

The only chance to get a screen was to boot without HDMI.-cable and after Android was booted I inserted the HDMI-cable.

So I could reapply the aml_autostart script and the box is booting ubuntu bionic again ;)

6 hours ago, balbes150 said:

I checked on Vega s96 (s912) Telos (s905) VIM2 (s912), shutdown and reboot work without problems in Ubuntu and Debian (hardware, after shutdown, normally turns on by button or remote control).

I dont know/understand why it boots correctly/directly after applying the aml_autoscript.zip but not later after a powercycle (OK, normal reboot would be also fine - but I got this symtom in the past on a H2 Sunvell R69 TV-Box - first Board-Edition).

On kernel 5.3.0 I used a 32GB Lexar SDCard - nor I have a 16GB SanDisk Ultra - maybe the Lexar is intialized faster at reboot?

11 hours ago, guidol said:

I dont know/understand why it boots correctly/directly after applying the aml_autoscript.zip but not later after a powercycle (OK, normal reboot would be also fine - but I got this symtom in the past on a H2 Sunvell R69 TV-Box - first Board-Edition).

On kernel 5.3.0 I used a 32GB Lexar SDCard - nor I have a 16GB SanDisk Ultra - maybe the Lexar is intialized faster at reboot?

Only the UART console can give an accurate answer what happens at startup. It can be assumed that when you turn on the power, your firmware resets all parameters to the old (default) values. Try after reboot, when Android starts, choose in Android normal reboot (do not choose update, only normal reboot).

2 hours ago, balbes150 said:

It can be assumed that when you turn on the power, your firmware resets all parameters to the old (default) values.

Try after reboot, when Android starts, choose in Android normal reboot (do not choose update, only normal reboot).

When I try to reboot it get stuck on the shutdown-messages, so I have to power-cycle.

Then Android will boot (when getting power). If I try a restart (with the 16GB SanDisk) it will reboot into Adroid again (not applying aml_autostart).

If I apply aml_autostart then the T95K Pro will reboot into ubuntu.

BUT now I dd'ed the 16GB ubuntu image to my 32GB Lexar Card, the I have not to apply the aml_autostart script.
With the 32Gb Lexar Card the T95K Pro does boot straight into ubuntu after powering up.

This also does work after resize from 16 to 32GB mmcbkl0p2 ;)

So the SanDisk Card may be a little bite slower at init? But both are Class 10 Cards :( I know its only the read/write speed.

Lexar_SanDisk_MicroSD.jpg

20 hours ago, guidol said:

So the SanDisk Card may be a little bite slower at init? But both are Class 10 Cards :( I know its only the read/write speed.

I checked on old USB 2.0 flash drives, reboot and shutdown work. I notice on different TV box models that rebooting and shutting down work better on slow devices than on fast ones.

18 minutes ago, talraash said:

It can variable in one products line and it can be lower with time.

Yes - I know ;) I got 3x 16GB Sandisk Ultra Class 10 HC-I (red-grey-version) and they are much slower as then when they were new :(

Hi,

I install armbian on T95M 2G, 8gb (not sure its Sunvell T95M -2G or not)

The spec is S905x but I were tried glx...dtb it can not boot so after that I use gbxx..dtb it can work but not had Ethernet connect.

So with this Tv box how can I install drivers for Ethernet?

tivi-box-t95m-4k-ram-2g-anroid-5-1-den-l

Hi everyone,

having some issues with root user on Beelink GT1 Ultimate (the one with old remote).

Tried Armbian_5.98_Aml-g12_Debian_buster_default_5.3.0_desktop_20191008 img, with uEnv.ini configured to point to meson-gxm-s912-kiii-pro.dtb, since it has the same S912 as mine.

Boot OK, chagend root password as requested, created another user, DE loaded, but... I can't su with my account, because I'm not in the sudoers group, neither use root user, as password is always invalid.

Tried the same procedure 3 times, same behaviour.

Have to say that I didn't tried with ssh on the box, just locally with my wireless keyboard, for which I checked with a text editor once booted if some keys was not working, but it's all OK.

Do you have any ideas of what am I doing wrong? Do I have to try another img? Could be it be a bug only in that one, not affecting other versions?

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work!