Armbian for Amlogic S9xxx kernel 5.x

balbes150

19 hours ago, MarekBelisko said:

HI,

I have flashed Armbian_19.11.3_Aml-g12_bionic_legacy_5.3.0_20191126.img to sdcard and then start application update&backup and when confirm Update I got this:

https://pastebin.com/a1Mexx61

Looks like board cannot boot. Any ideas? Thanks.

BR,

marek

Needed to update dtb to my board. Sorry for noise.

4 hours ago, Jamboa said:

Thank you for good work with the distributions! I have one question or request. Is there any change to get some kind of change log for the new releases?

If you give me two extra hours in a day (that would have me was not 24 hours and 26, and better 30 hours in a day), I will be able to spend their on waging detailed descriptions all changes and anything. :)

Hi.

My tvbox is an x9t with amlogic s912 whith ubuntu bionic server 5.98,

Linux aml 5.3.0-aml-g12 #5.98 SMP PREEMPT Tue Oct 8 12:22:08 MSK 2019 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

when I trie to upgrade wiht apt, i got this error

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-aml-g12_5.99_arm64.deb (--unpack):
 unable to make backup link of './boot/System.map-5.3.0-aml-g12' before installing new version: Operation not permitted
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
mv: cannot stat '/boot/vmlinuz-5.3.0-aml-g12': No such file or directory
Preparing to unpack .../unattended-upgrades_1.1ubuntu1.18.04.13_all.deb ...
Unpacking unattended-upgrades (1.1ubuntu1.18.04.13) over (1.1ubuntu1.18.04.12) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-aml-g12_5.99_arm64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

How can I solve this error?

BR,

Antonio.

I have tried to shutdown Armbian with "poweroff" command but I have problem with some corruption. I think that reason for situation is that the system was still on during power down. My device is Tanix TX9s and when using Linux there is blue led always on in the front of the device (there is also green when using Android and the device is in standby).

How do you know when the device is ready to power down when there isn't display attached..? At least SSH closes immediately after power off command.  Hope to get help with this. I'm all ready little bit frustrated to reinstall everything :(

2 hours ago, balbes150 said:

If you are satisfied with the current kernel, ignore this error and work with the current kernel. The details of the kernel update are in this topic.

Thanks a lot.

And sorry, I didn't google the error. 

I'm happy with 5.98. I'll upgrade to 19.11.3 with a complete new instalation.

Hi there, can i join with my problem?

I'm on Tanix tx9s too, my system is:

Linux aml 5.4.0-aml-g12 #19.11.3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Nov 30 16:00:55 MSK 2019 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

I alredy installed it twice - and i always get the same problem after a while (not immediately).

The problem is, when i do a "sudo su" or "sudo whatever" i get the error:

sudo: error in /etc/sudo.conf, line 0 while loading plugin "sudoers_policy"

or

sudo: /usr/bin/sudo must be owned by uid 0 and have the setuid bit set

I tried as root:

chmod 4755 /usr/bin/sudo
chown root:root /etc/sudoers.d/README
chown root:root /etc/sudoers.d
chown root:root /usr/lib/sudo/sudoers.so
chown root:root /etc/sudoers
chown root:root /usr/bin/sudo

...but now (maybe the problem was also before the above commands, idk) i can not create any file in my home directory:

andro7@aml:~$ touch a
touch: cannot touch 'a': Permission denied

What's wrong?

As said i already burn the system twice, installed nextcloud snap, configured it, used it for a while...then some day the problem occurs again.

Thanks for any help

andro7

1 hour ago, andro7 said:

What's wrong?

As said i already burn the system twice, installed nextcloud snap, configured it, used it for a while...then some day the problem occurs again.

Thanks for any help

andro7

I've not seen your specific problem but with the newer builds (kernel 5.3.0-aml-g12 or dtb?) I have observed with a s905x:
   mmc driver does not like of my Sandisk extreme micro sd card (neither do 4.x kernels) - gives kernel crash / Call trace during startup and fails to boot
  selinux appears to be fully active so I have help from selinux=0 at the end of bootargs= in /boot/uEnv.ini

On 12/20/2019 at 8:31 PM, balbes150 said:

Thanks Balbes :)

I re-did it once again, with a new SDcard and a new image (Armbian_19.11.3_Arm-64_eoan_legacy_5.5.0-rc1_20191219.img).

For some reason, this one feels snappier :)

...but i have another problem:

i'm using dtb_name=/dtb/amlogic/meson-gxm-q200.dtb in uEnv.ini (for Tanix TX9s), but my armbian welcome screen only shows 1GB RAM, instead of 2.

I also noticed my Rpimonitor does not know the temperature of the chip (always shows 0C).

on Armbian_19.11.3_Aml-g12_bionic_current_5.4.0_20191130 these things were working nicely.

I also tried meson-gxm-q201.dtb, but then network does not work.

Can i fix this somehow?

Thanks again.

8 hours ago, andro7 said:

but my armbian welcome screen only shows 1GB RAM, instead of 2.

The new kernels themselves determine the actual memory size. Most likely you have a model with 1 GB of real memory. Open the case and check the actual memory size.

I also noticed my Rpimonitor does not know the temperature of the chip (always shows 0C).

on Armbian_19.11.3_Aml-g12_bionic_current_5.4.0_20191130 these things were working nicely.

5.5.0-rc1

"rc1" is a test kernel that may be missing some functions

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

The new kernels themselves determine the actual memory size. Most likely you have a model with 1 GB of real memory. Open the case and check the actual memory size.

"rc1" is a test kernel that may be missing some functions

Did that just now, see the attached photos.

There are 4 ram chips (2 on both top and bottom side of the PCB): Mira p3p4gf4dmf, which is a "32 Meg x 16 x 8 banks" 4Gbit (512 MByte) chip...times 4...is 2Gbyte.

The 8 GB storage is a sandisk sdinbdg4-8g, if anyone is interested.

The device was purchased at Banggood.com.

20191222_110307.jpg

20191222_110357.jpg

Is there any way to change memory split between GPU/RAM.

On my S905x2 box I have only 3.3GB RAM and looks like about 700MB is for GPU (4GB total).

As I am running headless server, I would very much prefer to have more RAM and I do not care about GPU at all.

GPU needs just minimal amount to be able to show console on HDMI.

Someting like 16MB would be enough for GPU I guess. But if so little is not possible then even 64/128MB would be nice. About 700MB is serious overkill.

EDIT:

Found some info from here: 

However, it did not help me.

Yes, cma size decreased but I still have only 3.3GB of memory.

Now to think about it, I guess it might be in some sort of firmware/u-boot or somewhere else before kernel starts because the total amount of memory shown is 3.3GB. So something hides the memory from kernel before kernel starts.

Not sure how to "fix" it and if it is possible at all.

It is Mecool KM9 box, 4GB/32GB model with S905x2 SoC.

I can not get to boot latest armbian images on my khadas vim, 19.11.3 version, i have changed dtb, but it doesn't work.

I've seen that there is an issue with u-boot on amlogic devices, but if i understood correctly, fixed u-boot is included in this image i downloaded?

Hi @Balbes150 congratulations and thanks a lot for your great work bringing Linux and LE to many kinds of TV Boxes, maybe a few chinese sellers would be glad to sponsor you.
I have a Sammix M9 Box with S905 and 1G/8G, installed Coreelec 9.2 on it and it works really great: LAN, Wifi, BT and even remote work perfect out of the box using the proper dtb. Everything works fine from SD, so I won't touch that one until it breaks. Probably I'll try to install it to EMMC later, I did a EMMC backup just in case.

Recently I got a A95X F2 with S905X2 and 4Gb/64gb. I installed the bionic desktop from here https://yadi.sk/d/pHxaRAs-tZiei/19.11.3 and LAN works ok using meson-g12a-x96-max-rmii.dtb
But I haven't been able to configure sound,  only get a dummy output whatever I do and many errors in dmesg like:

fe.dai-link-0: ASoC: no backend DAIs enabled for fe.dai-link-0

This is the output for lsmod

root@tvbox:/home/ramoncio# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
sg                     40960  0
fuse                  110592  5
bnep                   32768  2
zstd                   16384  4
zram                   32768  2
hci_uart              135168  0
btqca                  20480  1 hci_uart
btrtl                  24576  1 hci_uart
cdc_ether              20480  0
btbcm                  16384  1 hci_uart
usbnet                 49152  1 cdc_ether
btintel                28672  1 hci_uart
r8152                  65536  0
bluetooth             557056  13 btrtl,btqca,btintel,hci_uart,btbcm,bnep
ecdh_generic           16384  1 bluetooth
ecc                    32768  1 ecdh_generic
rfkill                 28672  4 bluetooth
crct10dif_ce           16384  1
snd_soc_meson_axg_sound_card    20480  0
ir_nec_decoder         20480  0
meson_ir               16384  0
ao_cec_g12a            16384  0
dw_hdmi_cec            16384  0
snd_soc_meson_axg_tdmout    20480  1
snd_soc_meson_axg_spdifout    16384  2
snd_soc_meson_g12a_tohdmitx    20480  1
snd_soc_meson_axg_frddr    24576  3
snd_soc_meson_axg_fifo    20480  1 snd_soc_meson_axg_frddr
snd_soc_meson_axg_tdm_interface    16384  2 snd_soc_meson_axg_sound_card
snd_soc_meson_axg_tdm_formatter    16384  2 snd_soc_meson_axg_tdm_interface,snd_soc_meson_axg_tdmout
snd_soc_spdif_tx       16384  1
sch_fq_codel           20480  3
ip_tables              32768  0
x_tables               40960  1 ip_tables
ipv6                  516096  90
nf_defrag_ipv6         24576  1 ipv6
crc_ccitt              16384  1 ipv6
mdio_mux_meson_g12a    16384  0

I have tried forcing reloading alsa and pulseaudio with no success.
Any hints to get HDMI audio working?

I have kernel Linux tvbox 5.3.0-aml-g12 #5.99 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 25 14:50:13 MSK 2019 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

originally it had kernel 5.4 RC4 DEV, but after upgrading with apt I ended with this 5.3 kernel.

It would be nice to have at the first post some links to faqs and howtos. To configure HDMI audio, wifi and BT with the most common chips, etc.
And also updated info on how to get mali drivers working and video decoders on models where it works. 
I think I saw you have a media-package.tar.gz in an old 3.2 kernel version for S905, but haven't found any instructions on how to deal with it.

I also tried your images of LE 9.80, but they have kodi 19 and some of my addons have problems with it. Any image with kodi 18.4/.5 available for my G12A?
I would like to have armbian ubuntu but with a working kodi 18.5 with G31 drivers and video decoders working fine, is this possible or near?

Thanks again for your great work!!!

Edited by ramoncio
typo and added kernel info

Hello,

I am new here and stuck trying to build and boot my own image successfully. I have a T95 S1 box that boots into Linux fine from one of the Yandisk images I have downloaded from a link here. I attempted to build one of the experimental set-top box configurations, updated the uEnv.ini to match the file on the image that works (meson-gxl-s905x-khadas-vim.dtb), but the image I create does not boot. I am trying to identify what is different between the two and have noticed the following differences:

- I compared the working and non-working dtb files and they are not the same size, so I assume there are updates?

- I also noticed when I build an image myself I only end up with one ext4 partition instead of the vfat BOOT + ext4 ROOT partition like the working card. Does the vfat BOOT partition make a difference?

- If the meson-gxl-s905x-khadas-vim.dtb file works from the downloaded image shouldn't the meson-gxl-s905x-khadas-vim.dtb file from my build work also? Or should I try all the other dtb files until one works?  

20 hours ago, flipthedream said:

Hello,

I am new here and stuck trying to build and boot my own image successfully. I have a T95 S1 box that boots into Linux fine from one of the Yandisk images I have downloaded from a link here. I attempted to build one of the experimental set-top box configurations, updated the uEnv.ini to match the file on the image that works (meson-gxl-s905x-khadas-vim.dtb), but the image I create does not boot. I am trying to identify what is different between the two and have noticed the following differences:

- I compared the working and non-working dtb files and they are not the same size, so I assume there are updates?

- I also noticed when I build an image myself I only end up with one ext4 partition instead of the vfat BOOT + ext4 ROOT partition like the working card. Does the vfat BOOT partition make a difference?

- If the meson-gxl-s905x-khadas-vim.dtb file works from the downloaded image shouldn't the meson-gxl-s905x-khadas-vim.dtb file from my build work also? Or should I try all the other dtb files until one works?  

The vfat partition is needed for the boot sequence, it contains the kernel, initrd and dtb files. Burn a image with etcher and replace the vfat partition contents with your generated /boot contents and the ext4 root partition contents with the rest of your generated image. 

Also depending on the version of uboot you might need to set your proper dtb in /extlinux/extlinux.conf

You can set it in both files uEnv.ini and extlinux.conf

And try all the dtbs of your model family (GXL for S905W) until you find one that boots. 

Good luck! 

Bonjour,
Pour moi, sur mon x96 mini 4Gb - 2Gb de ram, impossible de booter sur emmc.
Sur micro sd, je boot
Je tape l commande : ./install.sh, la copie ce passe bien.
Je tape : poweroff.
Je débranche l'alimentation, j'enlève la micro sd puis je rebranche l'alimentation, et la rien, juste un ecran noir.

Mon extlinux.conf :
LABEL Armbian
  LINUX /zImage
  INITRD /uInitrd
#  FDTDIR /dtb
  FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxl-s905w-p281.dtb
  APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 

et mon uEnv.ini :
dtb_name=/dtb/amlogic/meson-gxl-s905w-p281.dtb
bootargs=root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

Je ne sais plus quoi faire.
Avez vous une idée ?

Hello,
For me, on my x96 mini 4Gb - 2Gb of ram, impossible to boot on emmc.
On micro sd, I boot
I type the command: ./install.sh, the copy goes well.
I type: poweroff.
I disconnect the power, I remove the micro sd then I reconnect the power, and nothing, just a black screen.

My extlinux.conf:
LABEL Armbian
   LINUX / zImage
   INITRD / uInitrd
# FDTDIR / dtb
   FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxl-s905w-p281.dtb
   APPEND root = LABEL = ROOTFS rootflags = data = writeback rw console = ttyAML0,115200n8 console = tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank = 0 fsck.fix = yes fsck.repair = yes net.ifnames = 0

and my uEnv.ini:
dtb_name = / dtb / Amlogic / meson-gxl-s905w-p281.dtb
bootargs = root = LABEL = ROOTFS rootflags = data = writeback rw console = ttyAML0,115200n8 console = tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank = 0 fsck.fix = yes fsck.repair = yes net.ifnames = 0

I do not know what to do.
Do you have an idea ?

I was trying to install armbian in a S10 tv box, s912 3gb 32gb 

for some reason the generic gxm_q201_3g.dtb and gxm_q201_3g_1gbit.dtb dont work, I tried to extract the dtb from orginal firmware.

the boot.partition as no dtb data, the extraction got a meson.dtb from where I got 3 dtb files.

I decompiled the gxm_q201_3g just to share the content,

https://gist.github.com/nmocruz/a0baaf537808335ddc8bab2042131624

for some reason this box booted with an old version o the armbian image selection the vim2 , but now it does boot even with the original firmware.

On 1/2/2020 at 1:59 AM, ramoncio said:

The vfat partition is needed for the boot sequence, it contains the kernel, initrd and dtb files. Burn a image with etcher and replace the vfat partition contents with your generated /boot contents and the ext4 root partition contents with the rest of your generated image. 

Also depending on the version of uboot you might need to set your proper dtb in /extlinux/extlinux.conf

You can set it in both files uEnv.ini and extlinux.conf

And try all the dtbs of your model family (GXL for S905W) until you find one that boots. 

Good luck! 

Thanks for your help, but no luck yet. One very important item I noticed is that using the Armbian compile.sh does not create a zImage file and creates uImage instead. The image that works uses zImage, which I believe is the compressed kernel? How do I make it boot with uImage that is produced by the Armbian compile.sh process?

Hello, I got an S10 tv box, one of the later released s912 3gb 32gb based machines with the encrypted boot-loader.

All the builds only see 2 out of 3GB of RAM...

@balbes150Is there a way to enable the hidden 3rd GB? Or any  way to change/replace the newer/protected U-boot on these machines with another version?

I also have a lot of RAM related issues, for example 7zr b seems to work, but after a while is killed because of no RAM?!?!

The same also happens when you try to run some CPU intensive tasks, but it's NOT CPU temp related.

Also Z-RAM works when system starts from SD-Card but for some reason doesn't work anymore when copied to MMC...

And what about the 8223A WIFI chip? Is it possible to use it in any way?

Language support can't add more languages in ubuntu disco image, I get an PolicyKit error.
You can solve it installing policykit-1-gnome and rebooting as seen here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1031319/language-support-in-18-04-not-working-org-freedesktop-policykiterror-failed

@balbes150 maybe you could include it in the images if you have the time? Do you have a bug tracker where we can report (and fix if possible) stuff like this or this is the right place?
xfce4-power-manager and xfce4-power-manager-plugins would be also a nice addition, for those who want to avoid screen turning off by default.

On 1/4/2020 at 7:05 PM, almotra said:

Do you have an idea ?

Carefully read the info on the forum, the work of the x96 mini has been discussed many times and many times given recommendations on what to do and how to do it.

On 1/5/2020 at 8:21 PM, Shinjin said:

All the builds only see 2 out of 3GB of RAM...

You do not have 3 GB, this is a fraud of the seller.

14 hours ago, mvventura said:

I have a tx9 with the processor S905M-B could someone give me the dtb to boot ???

Contact the manufacturer or seller from whom you bought it.