Cubietruck & Armbian SSH login message

pfeerick

Just a quick question due to having just updated and rebooted my Cubietruck....

I was running 5.38 mainline Stretch, but I see that armbian-firmware 5.45 was installed over 5.38... so shouldn't the welcome screen now be saying "Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.45" instead of "Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.38" still? Or is that package not the one that determines the Armbian 'version'?

Maybe a better question would be what would update /etc/armbian-release ?

The update process was otherwise smooth and doesn't seem to have rise to any nasty surprises :). I also look forward to trying out the pineH64 image since I see that has just made a big jump, as well as the new pinebook image. Keep up the great work!

4 hours ago, pfeerick said:

Maybe a better question would be what would update /etc/armbian-release ?

A better question is why this motd stuff needs to be broken? If the goal of Igor's motd is to display information then simply reading a random file /etc/armbian-release not containing information but just a bogus number is obviously not the correct way.

A more sane way might be to parse 'dpkg -l | grep "^armbian"' output and report the highest package number. But why such a waste of time at every login?

I don't like this motd stuff delaying logins anyway, I also don't like creating confusion and misinformation but weighing both I gave up dealing with this motd stuff after trying to fix most severe performance issues some time ago.

On 8/13/2018 at 8:03 AM, tkaiser said:

A better question is why this motd stuff needs to be broken? If the goal of Igor's motd is to display information then simply reading a random file /etc/armbian-release not containing information but just a bogus number is obviously not the correct way.

One option is simply to throw out those numbers since they contain no valuable info. We have armbianmonitor, where we see all those things.

BTW. I am ready with general BSP update for all boards. Upgrade worked well on all test subjects ... we could also add replace zram-config to automatically remove this package ... since our ZRAM logging and ZSWAP is not getting in action in case zram-config is in installed.