no sound on vlc of prange pi PC

hatahata

hi all .

i nstall both minidlna and vlc .

i hear sound youtube from HDMI (iceweasel).

but

by vlc on armbian i can not hear normal sound from HDMI , only rarely get noise from HDMI .

(i  try audio  -> audio device , but no effect)

what should i do ?

2016-03-08-013653_1280x720_scrot.png

just as a thought before I do, have you tried the following

1. Do you have the codec(s) installed to actually play the file you are hoping to play?

2 Deactivate the soundtrack inside vlc player and then activate it again

3. Open VLC > tools> preferences>audio > output module select waveout audio output> select "relevant/alternate sound output device" save.

4. Do the VLC sound output setting match those of the desktop default device?

5. Are you running an up to date version as found at the VLC website?

i have not do anyting special on orange pi PC .

uname -ar
Linux orangepipc 3.4.110-sun8i #18 SMP PREEMPT Tue Mar 8 20:03:32 CET 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

cat .asoundrc
cat: .asoundrc: No such file or directory

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: audiocodec [audiocodec], device 0: SUNXI-CODEC sndcodec-0 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: sndhdmi [sndhdmi], device 0: SUNXI-HDMIAUDIO sndhdmi-0 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

$ dpkg -l | grep alsa
ii  alsa-utils                            1.0.28-1                                        armhf        Utilities for configuring and using ALSA
ii  gstreamer0.10-alsa:armhf              0.10.36-2                                       armhf        GStreamer plugin for ALSA

aptitude search kodi ---> no response

so i did not install kodi .

-----

regards

VLC from repositories is not working well. vdpau is not working and there are various problems, making it useless. I managed to build it from source only once and it worked like a charm with all functions. I even keep this image. But all my attempts to build it again later failed, because i forgot how i do it first time. I can't beat this - "Makefile:8801: recipe for target 'codec/avcodec/libswscale_plugin_la-chroma.lo' failed".

Instead of VLC i use SMPlayer with mpv - better image quality, everything build from source with no problems for last versions and work very stable. It can stream network videos as well as VLC and with SMTube browser it's even better. Even if it's no problem, if anyone want i will post the steps to build mpv, smplayer, smtube, etc. But it's possible the old version of SMPlayer from repositories to work as well with build-in mpv in Armbian desktop images (never tried).

I lost the sound on Orange Pi One. Friday I install armbian an everything works but after last apt-get updates & upgrades, I lost all the sound.

Maybe is something break with the packets updated the last two days?

I installed (apt-get update ; apt-get install kodi) kodi 15.2 from this repository:

# kodi repos
# starting with debian jessie, debian provides kodi via its backports repository
# remember: those packages are not supported by team kodi
deb http://http.debian.net/debianjessie-backports main

as described here

noise starting even no video - beginning while kodi GUI started (permanent noise in menus). Film sound also exists while film started playing, but sound level near noise level and very low both (btw, kodi volume regulator not working, only mute mode working in kodi). I watched AC3, MP3, AAC sound coded films - effects are the same: noise with low volume soundtrack.

How to see which codecs are installed? And how to add them?

I lost the sound on Orange Pi One. Friday I install armbian an everything works but after last apt-get updates & upgrades, I lost all the sound.

Maybe is something break with the packets updated the last two days?

Auto response: using SMPlayer I can chose audio output with "Alsa sdhmi" or something like this, and the sound works using SMPlayer but not in "Iceweasel" or "mpv"

How to see which codecs are installed? And how to add them?

I installed  ffmpeg and avconv.  avconv show all available codecs are allready installed. So, it is not a codecs problem but something with entire sound subsystem.

Ofcourse, after I experimented with kodi and system sound settings and sound sources (from GUI menus - kodi and alsamixer) - no results, issue the same (except no sound if wrong sound device selected - no sound as far as no noise if selected not a sndhdmi: because I use HDMI).

I installed  ffmpeg and avconv.  avconv show all available codecs are allready installed. So, it is not a codecs problem but something with entire sound subsystem.

Ofcourse, after I experimented with kodi and system sound settings and sound sources (from GUI menus - kodi and alsamixer) - no results, issue the same (except no sound if wrong sound device selected - no sound as far as no noise if selected not a sndhdmi: because I use HDMI).

If i understand right, your problem is selecting audio output on system level? You need to install alsamixergui to manipulate this easy, but GUI is useless, you can only change volume level. So execute it from terminal and there you can choose HDMI as default audio output. Other way is to install pulse, along with pavucontrol and you will have nice GUI to manipulate pulse, default output.

I can chose audio output with "Alsa sdhmi" or something like this, and the sound works using SMPlayer but not in "Iceweasel" or "mpv"

For mpv you can add audio output as parameter - "mpv ao alsa:device=hw=1.0 [file name]", for browser and all, you have to do it on system level.

If i understand right, your problem is selecting audio output on system level? You need to install alsamixergui to manipulate this easy, but GUI is useless, you can only change volume level. So execute it from terminal and there you can choose HDMI as default audio output. Other way is to install pulse, along with pavucontrol and you will have nice GUI to manipulate pulse, default output.

Armbian desktop v5.05 which I used have alsa with GUI and "audiocodec" (3.5 analog output) device as default "from_the_box".  First was no sound at all (because I use HDMI), then I switched default output to "sndhdmi" with alsa GUI, and sound become normal in some "from_the_box" applications (like in-browser youtube plugin), but it is ugly (low level and noisy) in kodi which I added later form standard debian repository. And hatahata have a similar problem with his other additional application, as I mentioned.

First was no sound at all (because I use HDMI), then I switched default output to "sndhdmi" with alsa GUI, and sound become normal in some "from_the_box" applications (like in-browser youtube plugin), but it is ugly (low level and noisy) in kodi which I added later form standard debian repository. And hatahata have a similar problem with his other additional application, as I mentioned.

Sorry, i got you wrong. I have OrangePi PC from a couple of days and never face any sound problems as described, but i faced usual problems with standard applications from official repositories. But i am not using Armbian desktop images and have my own way to compile image and install desktop and staff over it (i prefer LXDE for example). As for in-browser youtube plugin, if you meant html5 and not flash, i don't have problems with sound in Iceweasel, except real video is laggy and almost unplayable, that's why i am using SMTube. No problems with sound in VLC from repositories too, except it have other problems and is in useless condition for me. I also try to compile Kodi from source with vdpau acceleration but have little time lately, so i can't confirm any problems there yet. Those boards and Armbian itself, are so special and modified, so i used to build everything possible from source to be sure it will work well.

Edit: I saw the problem in browser and other programs. I guess i mixed things with my other board where sound is ok, both ways. Maybe it's something related to pulse, will check it out.

VLC from repositories is not working well. vdpau is not working and there are various problems, making it useless. I managed to build it from source only once and it worked like a charm with all functions. I even keep this image. But all my attempts to build it again later failed, because i forgot how i do it first time. I can't beat this - "Makefile:8801: recipe for target 'codec/avcodec/libswscale_plugin_la-chroma.lo' failed".

Instead of VLC i use SMPlayer with mpv - better image quality, everything build from source with no problems for last versions and work very stable. It can stream network videos as well as VLC and with SMTube browser it's even better. Even if it's no problem, if anyone want i will post the steps to build mpv, smplayer, smtube, etc. But it's possible the old version of SMPlayer from repositories to work as well with build-in mpv in Armbian desktop images (never tried).

Will you kindly let me know step by step how to install SMTube using vdpau?

Will you kindly let me know step by step how to install SMTube using vdpau?

SMPlayer is just a GUI for mplayer or mpv and SMTube is kind of youtube browser using external player (SMPlayer by default) to play videos. mpv is the one with vdpau support, so if you use Armbian Desktop image you should have it already installed and built for vdpau, if something is not changed recently. If it's not present i will show you how to build and install it too. About SMTube it's good to have youtube-dl first, because i don't know if it's added automatically:

sudo curl https://yt-dl.org/downloads/2016.02.27/youtube-dl -o /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl

You can find the source here - http://www.smtube.org/. I haven't try to use it with other player except SMPlayer and although it should work somehow, i suggest to install SMPlayer too, which is located here - http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/en/downloads.

You need this first to build both (it was needed for SMTube only before, but in latest SMPlayer version too):

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libqtwebkit-dev

Get the sources and extract and build/install:

wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/smplayer/smplayer-16.8.0.tar.bz2
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/smplayer/smplayer-themes-16.6.0.tar.bz2
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/smplayer/smplayer-skins-15.2.0.tar.bz2
wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/smtube/files/SMTube/16.7.2/smtube-16.7.2.tar.bz2
tar -xjvf smplayer-16.8.0.tar.bz2
tar -xjvf smplayer-themes-16.6.0.tar.bz2
tar -xjvf smplayer-skins-15.2.0.tar.bz2
tar -xjvf smtube-16.7.2.tar.bz2
cd smplayer-16.8.0
make -j4
sudo make install
cd ..
cd smplayer-themes-16.6.0
make
sudo make install
cd ..
cd smplayer-skins-15.2.0
make
sudo make install
cd ..
cd smtube-16.7.2
make -j4
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig
cd ..

To configure SMPlayer with vdpau, in Preferences -> General, select mpv as engine as adding the path to executable (usually located in /usr/local/bin ). Then in Preferences -> Video, select vdpau as Output Driver and make sure to keep unchecked ffodivxvdpau in Configure, to not have problems with divx/xvid video that support vdpau hw codec only on nVidia cards. In Performance set vdpau as Hardware decoding, you can also check Allow frame drop.

RagnerBG,

I installed smplayer per your instructions with the hope that my OPi PC+ would then play .wav files. It did not. So, the problem is deeper in Armbian than the player itself.

I admit i don't remember whether i tried .wav files, but i am almost sure they playing fine, as the rest of audio formats. There were some system sound problems in Armbian with this boards, but in SMPlayer you can specify which audio device to use in Preferences -> General -> Audio -> Output driver, instead of default. So if you choose Alsa for HDMI or PCM directly there shouldn't be a problem with the sound in player itself. And for music you can use Audacious witch me, personally prefer. Maybe i will check if i can confirm this .wav issue later, because right now i am building my system again for n-th time <_<.

Thanks a lot RagnerBG for that step by step, it helped me a lot. I have a working smplayer now on the system.

But I came here for a nother reason.

My case unfolded (so far at least) like that:

- booted my Orange PI PC with armbian

- sound was working ok (I checked youtune only) over the HDMI sink (default is audio out, so that has to be switched manually)

- I did some apt-get updates, put the device to sleep and whatnot

- tried youtube again and sound was not working any more, averything was producing noise only; I tried switching speaker configurations and all the rest that is available through GUI, unplugged and re-plugged the hdmi, reset the device, everything to no avail

- somehow it started working again today, while I was installing smplayer

- now youtube is working, smplayer is working, but I still get no sound from some othe rweb sites with html5 player (181.fm for example).

Well, I am happy so far. Hoping that the sound does not break again. The machine is ready to play cartoons for my kid, and it's time for the daddy to learn about those GPIOs onboard.

- I did some apt-get updates, put the device to sleep and whatnot

Out of what you wrote I suspect / conclude that putting device to sleep is making this trouble?

Igor, I thought so too, but the sound problem persisted on restart... Therefore I guess that could not have been the case. But it's been only 3 days with the OPI now, I'll report if I encounter these problems again.

OK. Try also with power cycling if reset wont help.