How to Configure OpenVPN Protocol on Armbian with Orange Pi?

Trish Eva

It is created for Raspbian Jessie which is Debian Jessie with a kernel (hardware features) special for Raspberry Pi. If script is not updated to run on Raspbian Stretch you might have the same problems with Armbian Stretch. We provide Debian Jessie but since it's old technology and officially EOL I don't recommend to use it.

VPN is a hardware independent service which can run virtually on any Linux.

I recommend you to use DigitalOcen tutorials since they are good quality. And generic. As OpenVPN is. The first hit is installing it on Ubuntu Bionic which is bleeding edge technology with possible problems ... Debian Stretch as a base is a way to go.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

It is created for Raspbian Jessie which is Debian Jessie with a kernel (hardware features) special for Raspberry Pi. If script is not updated to run on Raspbian Stretch you might have the same problems with Armbian Stretch. We provide Debian Jessie but since it's old technology and officially EOL I don't recommend to use it.

VPN is a hardware independent service which can run virtually on any Linux.

I recommend you to use DigitalOcen tutorials since they are good quality. And generic. As OpenVPN is. The first hit is installing it on Ubuntu Bionic which is bleeding edge technology with possible problems ... Debian Stretch as a base is a way to go.

umm cool, I will give it a try. Thanks for the help. Cheers. 

19 hours ago, Igor said:

Use Debian Stretech based images. Perhaps it also runs on Ubuntu.

http://www.pivpn.io/

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials?q=openvpn

You can easily find a distro with far less.

I don't understand why you shot down the pivpn.io option
I have it on my Orange Pi Zero and it's running like a champ

Simple easy install and easy to use .ovpn files it generates

20 minutes ago, WarHawk_AVG said:

I don't understand why you shot down the pivpn.io option
I have it on my Orange Pi Zero and it's running like a champ

I wrote. 

It is created for Raspbian Jessie which is Debian Jessie with a kernel (hardware features) special for Raspberry Pi. If script is not updated

Since I don't use it I don't know if there are any issues with Stretch. I am sure it works well with Jessie.

On 8/16/2018 at 5:38 PM, Trish Eva said:

Hey all, I am having a problem in finding the proper instructions for Armbian and Open VPN to configure. Does anyone have any resources or instructions?

Willing to install a new distro if theres more support. Just to let you know, I use Ivacy VPN as a Client.

Thanks!

Well, I used IvacyVPN paid, but unfortunately at times my IP is not properly masked, do you have any solution regarding my query??

57 minutes ago, mikebrian1 said:

Well, I used IvacyVPN paid, but unfortunately at times my IP is not properly masked, do you have any solution regarding my query??

Some simple iptables rules blocking traffic from OUTPUT that is not routed through tun+ should do the trick.

21 hours ago, Werner said:

Some simple iptables rules blocking traffic from OUTPUT that is not routed through tun+ should do the trick.

But why VPN service provider optimized such issues?? as most of VPN users are not too much technical to optimized it 

I am unsure if I understand you correctly.

Most times Linux users know their way around or know where to look to handle a certain task.  As for me I would not even like a VPN client software on my Linux system which even may be closed source and I have no idea in which way it is tinkering with my system. I prefer plain OpenVPN or similar and handle the rest by myself.

On Windows however it is kind a opposite.  Do not know what they are doing and like to point and click and be happy if it works, but have no idea how and why.

As for Ivacy I did not find a Linux client application, just a tutorial for creating an PPTP connection (which should not be used anymore https://www.ovpn.com/en/blog/pptp-has-become-obsolete/). 

Just found this thread after googling around to see if PiVPN works with Armbian on an Orange Pi Zero 512MB.

Can confirm that it workes perfectly fine on Armbian 5.91 using and Orange Pi Zero H2+ 512 MB Board.

Allows me to shut down my open ports on my router :-) Yeah.

This is my 3rd Board using Armbian now. 

1) Orange Pi One as Pi-hole and Webcam

2) Orange Pi Lite as Webcam

3) Orange Pi Zero as PiVPN

Just had to donate to Armbian. This stuff is working very good.