EMMC vs SSD - durability and speed

rufik

I'd like to migrate from SD card Samsung Evo+ to something more durable (I'm running home assistant automation on OPI PC now, mariadb, influx, etc, many writes per minute).

I think that I have only two options: go with SBC with EMMC or just buy cheap 32/64 GB SSD with USB adapter.

What do you think, which option gives me better durability? Can I assume that EMMC is really durable comparing to SD card?

Is USB 2.0 adapter as fast as EMMC?

47 minutes ago, rufik said:

mariadb, influx, etc, many writes per minute

Definitely needs a SSD, not over USB 2.0, but something more reliable like the SATA on ESPRESSObin or NanoPC T4's M.2

Anyone made random IO benchmarks comparing USB 2.0 and 3.0 adapter? Maybe these 100-200 SQL queries per minute does not require supa-speed?
I don't think I need native M.2 slot that costs me $110. I'd like to stick with $50 tag price...

4 hours ago, rufik said:

Anyone made random IO benchmarks comparing USB 2.0 and 3.0 adapter?

Sure: 

Cheap SSDs are the same crap as cheap eMMC. If you care about your data you need SSDs that expose their health via SMART (so don't buy cheap SSD crap but only from those vendors providing a SMART attribute you can use as wear out indicator).

I would choose an JMS578 thingy combined with a good SSD (be it mSATA, M.2 or normal SATA). More info: https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/23724-Run-OS-and-database-on-SD-card-to-prevent-HDD-spin-up/

So SSD with SMART + JMS578 adapter is going to be the best choice. I could use it with OPI PC right now and easily migrate to USB 3.0 when needed.
What about splitting rootfs into read-only SD card and all data & logs into SSD? It should give me long life of SD card and fast storage capabilites...does it make sense? Is anyone already using such setup or?

31 minutes ago, rufik said:

So SSD with SMART + JMS578 adapter is going to be the best choice. I could use it with OPI PC right now and easily migrate to USB 3.0 when needed.
What about splitting rootfs into read-only SD card and all data & logs into SSD? It should give me long life of SD card and fast storage capabilites...does it make sense? Is anyone already using such setup or?

It's possible to use nand-sata-install to copy your rootfs to the SSD, and only leave u-boot stuff on the sd card