Running .Net Core / ASP NET Core on Armbian @OrangePI PC2

DevDrake

Hello Community!

Does anybody tried to run the .Net Core or ASP NET Core runtime package on OrangePi PC2?

I was trying to install it using MS guidelines [https://www.microsoft.com/net/download/linux-package-manager/ubuntu16-04/runtime-current] but no luck.

I was searching Goolge for a while, and tried bunch of common solutions related to Linux and .Net Core installation - with no luck unfortunately.

I am using:

OrangePI PC2

ARMBIAN 5.59.180815 nightly Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS 4.11.1-sun50iw2

I did and it worked with preview version. Had problem compiling with stable, later I saw that bug was reported.
I downloaded v3 preview from here https://github.com/dotnet/core-sdk/blob/master/README.md#installers-and-binaries You need to take arm or arm64 (used this one on opi prime) untar it to some folder and then you need to add that folder to path. Also what needs to bee done is to add feed path for v3 if you are using that version when you create new project.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

I run my .NET Core apps on Armbian every day, but I've never installed any runtime separately. Instead, I install the dependencies, then use the .NET Core SDK to publish them on a x86 machine with 

dotnet publish -c Release -f netcoreapp2.0 -r linux-arm

then copy the published files to the board and run it.

If you want to run a .NET Core app on Armbian ARM64, you should install every dependency with ":armhf" added. (e.g. apt install libunwind8:armhf)

Or, you could try .NET Core 2.1 with

dotnet publish -c Release -f netcoreapp2.1 -r linux-arm64

to generate ARM64 binary.

Beware that there's an issue which causes the .NET Core 2.1 ARMv7 runtime to crash after running for a while, so don't publish with netcoreapp2.1 linux-arm until the issue is closed, or your app will be very unstable.

I did few things, still not working as it not installing:

:~$ sudo apt install aspnetcore-runtime-2.1
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package aspnetcore-runtime-2.1
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'aspnetcore-runtime-2.1'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'aspnetcore-runtime-2.1'

I have installed all listed dependencies with :armhf - but that seems to be incorrect as all packages running on the board are :arm64. I checked with both.

when i do:

:~$ sudo apt search aspnetcore-runtime-2.1
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
aspnetcore-runtime-2.1/bionic 2.1.3-1 amd64
  Microsoft ASP.NET Core 2.1.3 Shared Framework

however when i do

:~$ sudo apt-cache search aspnetcore-runtime-2.1
:~$

i get nothing.

I have updated kernel to the:

4.14.67-sunxi64 #117 SMP Sat Sep 1 00:17:11 CEST 2018 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

@hjc i tried your way and it works well :)

Still i would love to have run-time installed to not deploy self-containing app every time.

1 hour ago, DevDrake said:

@hjc i tried your way and it works well :)

Still i would love to have run-time installed to not deploy self-containing app every time.

MS did not release deb/rpm packages for armhf/arm64, instead, you should manually install them, including dependencies. The drawback is the every time the runtime updates, you need to follow these steps again.

If you only need to run your .NET Core apps but not building them on the board, you can download arm64 runtime at https://dotnetcli.blob.core.windows.net/dotnet/Runtime/2.1.3/dotnet-runtime-2.1.3-linux-arm64.tar.gz and follow the steps here to install.

If you have a really powerful board (like one of those RK3399 boards) and want to build apps on it, use https://dotnetcli.blob.core.windows.net/dotnet/Sdk/2.1.401/dotnet-sdk-2.1.401-linux-arm64.tar.gz instead.