How can I restore a rsync backup of armbian?

trohn_javolta

Is there detailed info somewhere how to do so? Like I posted here I once prepared a new sd card with armbian, poped it in to have the system resize to full sd card storage and then restored the rsync backup. Back then I was successful restoring the backup on hummingboard. Now I tried with odroid hc2 backup via ssh. Turns out  you have to be root on the client if you pull a backup via ssh, else the files and folders user,group and permission won't be transfered.

Also after restore I changed the UUID in /etc/fstab to the new sd card. Since I first set up armbian with a fresh install I should also have u-boot on it.

Unfortunately system does not boot on my odroid hc2 (or maybe just to some point).

I feel like I'm missing some tiny thing... I also zero'd out the first 1M of the sd card and formated it before seting up fresh armbian.

After restoring I checked the sd card and the permission, user, and group of all files and folders are correct.

Right now I also have no way to see any output, I think I have to get some usb-uart module like this and connect it to my pc.

Right now with new sd card I have solid red led (power), blue led and green led. After short time blue Led should start blinking and also green led and the hdd should spin up...which does not happen.:(

Also I cannot connect the the hc2 via ssh.

I cannot figure out what I might be overlooking here...

4 hours ago, trohn_javolta said:

I think I have to get some usb-uart module like this and connect it to my pc.

Right ! This is a must for any hobbyist playing with SoC boards.

I've more than 10 of them, not necessarily CP2104, some are FT232, some others CH340, this latest can be found for $0.99.

12 hours ago, martinayotte said:

Right ! This is a must for any hobbyist playing with SoC boards.

I've more than 10 of them, not necessarily CP2104, some are FT232, some others CH340, this latest can be found for $0.99.

I now bought the more expensive one from odroid for 16€.. since all I could find provide 3.3 or 5V whereas the odroid can only handle 1.8V. Saw a vid where someone installed a LDO Regulator to get to 1.8V but since I live in a capital where there's no electronics store (:angry:) I'd have to order such LDO seperately so I went straight for the odroid one.

Using the usb-uart connection I now can see that the root fs isn't found.

I changed the UUID in /etc/fstab but I noticed that in /boot/boot.ini in rootdev line there's the old UUID.

How can I change this?

What I did so far:

Interrupt boot to get to this Exynos5422 # command prompt.

There I typed in setenv rootdev "UUID=d30adc0f-4d9c-4d0c-b705-ed514e1e69c8". Didn't work.

Created /boot/armbianEnv.txt file, put the above line in and saved. Didn't work.

What am I missing here?

Edit: Trying this from the documentation:

Enter these commands, replacing root device path if necessary. Select setenv line with ttyS0 for serial, tty1 for keyboard+monitor (these are for booting with mainline kernel, check boot.cmd for your device for commands related to legacy kernel):

setenv bootargs init=/bin/bash root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait console=ttyS0,115200 # or 
setenv bootargs init=/bin/bash root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait console=tty1 

ext4load mmc 0 0x49000000 /boot/dtb/${fdtfile} 
ext4load mmc 0 0x46000000 /boot/zImage 
env set fdt_high ffffffff 
bootz 0x46000000 - 0x49000000

If I type in this: ext4load mmc 0 0x49000000 /boot/dtb/${fdtfile} I get file not found error.

Trying a specific file from /boot/dtb (I guess exynos5422-odroidhc1.dtb is the right one) also does not work -> file not found.

I was being naughty and edited /boot/boot.ini even though it's stated it shouldn't be edited.

Now the system successfully boots.