Nanopi Duo mini shield SATA adapter

TonyMac32

I'm sure @tkaiser has something like this already, but for the rest of us ;-)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C34MT32/

This should work, of course you need to power the drive, I've ordered one so I can get a look at those partially hidden headers spots, looks to be a sata power pattern (15 places)  May need some solder time to get both headers and (I would guess) the heavy pads are for the various power rails if you want to "spin rust" as I've seen it written.  :lol:

Finding the SATA power socket could prove challenging for the hobbyist, I'll pull up the Molex number for it   I stand corrected, my search through the usual channels show no options for just a power connector to go through a PCB.  I will dig some more, but...

image.png

2 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

(I would guess) the heavy pads are for the various power rails if you want to "spin rust" as I've seen it written.

There's no 5V on the mSATA connector (schematics) so you need to get them from somewhere else anyway.

3 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

I stand corrected, my search through the usual channels show no options for just a power connector to go through a PCB

See EspressoBin and Helios4 (or do a search for 'male molex site:forum.armbian.com')

12 hours ago, tkaiser said:

There's no 5V on the mSATA connector (schematics) so you need to get them from somewhere else anyway.

Missed that detail.  the reference to the heavy pads though is that I'm guessing they are a power in point rather than a power out point, probably to feed that mythical connector spot further discussed below:

11 hours ago, tkaiser said:

See EspressoBin and Helios4 (or do a search for 'male molex site:forum.armbian.com') 

Right, the big Molex and the mini-Spox are relatively easy, but it appears they designed that board to take a stand-alone 15-pin SATA power plug that doesn't exist.  Not having 5V though, as you said, makes that irrelevant anyway, it won't be an overly clean solution no matter how you run it, a jumper to the big pads from the board (micro-usb powere, so :-/), or to an external supply.  I guess at least it's the right size to fit the board.

1 hour ago, TonyMac32 said:

it won't be an overly clean solution

Hmm... IMO all you need is VDD_5V and GND (available at various locations) and cabling/contacts that are sufficient for 1A peak consumption. I've never seen a 2.5" HDD needing 3.3V (only some server disks also wanting 12V) so you should be fine using any standard SATA power cable connected to 5V/GND only.

Received the little board, realized I don't have an of the tiny bolt needed to hold it down.  Anyone know what thread this is?  It fits nicely, sits slightly lower than the heat sink of the Duo.

[edit]   I scrounged screws from an old broken Seagate hard drive, so it's on the board now, but remembered my SSD got put into a PS3, so testing will have to wait a bit. 

b5fdc6241dceccb49508b491a8dcbb5d.jpg