Security Router OS - OpenWRT vs Armbian?

Ezzeldin Adel

I want to put BRO/Suricata as well as some threat intelligence and stuff on an all in one security router on a PI (orange - rapberry - whatever)

I tried Openwrt and love the fact that LUCi comes with it and hence network admin job is easy - however installing Bro & Suricata and finding compatible hardware is a challenge (specially with the hardware thing (not able to chose many boards just because they lack support also not able to choose many usb wifi cuz they lack drivers )

I was told for SBCs i should use armbian specially being debian all my security software will run easier as well as better hardware support but I am afraid it will be heavier on my board and won't be easy to put the UI together to have something like LUCI for the net admin job

I wanted to keep the load light on my board so I had always chosen openwrt over armbian but now I am finding trouble installing bro / suricata (and before when i was doing snort i found i couldnt use pulledpork and wrote my own update rules script)

So Is there a LUCI like for armbian ? 

Does armbian actually support more SBCs? Does it have drivers for more WIFI USBs? 

How does armbian compare to openwrt in terms of cpu and memory when idle, so which is lighter? How can armbian be made lighter? 

BRO/Suricata go on well on armbian really? Adblock goes well on armbian too? 

Anybody used armbian as a router? How does it compare? 

Thank you