15 hours ago, wdtz said:

nytoc,, by the way, most firmware is distro and version agnostic ,,

byte-order certainly matters, but probably not arch

Sometimes it is in non-default locations and doesn't load,

sometimes the package manager forces unnecessary restrictions

sometimes ethernet has firmware

--more--

Since you have a rooted android??  ,,

you already have the firmware,, /vendor/lib/firmware/some-directory-with-8723-in-it's-name

Wifi kernel modules obtained from the Android 8.1

https://mega.nz/#!YrgnEI4S!ocCcSF6xWZ2hmYJWESpEM13f-HVP6AY3rlPnIxzo1Sg

I'll check later if it's loaded in Armbian

I must say that I am most un-impressed with the dtb system

I have been struggling with it for days, with almost NO success

at first I thought I was a fuck-up none of my modified dtb's seemed to work,

now,, after getting a serial connection (which is very little help, except for scroll back),

I see that it is not me,,

** Unable to read file /dtb/rockchip/an-untouched-dtb **

and then the dtb',s every one different, pin#'s ,clocks, everything

I even tried making a dtb -fs from a running android, (tarred /proc/device-tree) lots of errors in android dmesg,

a wonder that it booted, and then edit androidisms out,, that didn't work either

What a pain,, I'm starting to think this is more trouble than it is worth

--edit--

It could find  the dtb, previous 2 lines retrieving file,, reading file

oops the retrieving and reading lines were in error, the file didn't exist

Too many different versions, easy to lose track

Bables,, after viewing about 20 dmesg logs, I see some things in common

(re no mmc,, ls -l /dev/block)

The 1 and only 1 showing any mmc was the legacy dev with roc-cc ,,Ubuntu_bionic_dev_4.4.161_desktop,,

and I see rpmb, boot0 and boot1,, that's all

I think lacking (in init) is rkpart for the rest of mmcblk0 (the emmc)

Most dtb lack (in aliases)  mmc0 = "/dwmmc@ff500000";  and so on

This is an error in all? most anyway

I don't know how severe this is (all? most)

rockchip-dmc dmc: Cannot get the regulator "center"     (missing stanza?)
 dwmmc_rockchip ff510000.dwmmc: No vmmc regulator found  (also ff500000 and ff520000)
 dwmmc_rockchip ff510000.dwmmc: No vqmmc regulator found

and minor error 

dwmmc_rockchip ff500000.dwmmc: num-slots property not found, assuming 1 slot is available

and probably  not related

rk-vcodec ff360000.rkvdec: vcodec regulator not ready, retry

many of the uboot are older, and for roc-cc

--edit--

and yet, when I try with normal armbian (console=both) there are no errors in any dwmmc lines,

but no mmcblk devices or partitions are discovered (except by uboot, kernel, initrd and dtb get loaded OK)

And now, after trying about 20 dtb's, only the liantong (all 3) see mmc0 and mmc2 and the partitions

(and despite running dtdiff until my eyes are crossed I don't see anything significantly different in dwmmc)

Unfortunatly they all stop, about 4 seconds into the kernel load with

rockchip-dmc  dmc  vop bandwidth to dmc rate (all 3 liantong)

I don't think this is something tuneable in a dtb

The post above, those are spurious error msgs,, but about 1/2 of all the others have (early,,8x)

rockchip_mmc_get_phase  invalid clock rate

all those apparently dangling clocks point to the clock name, I have no idea what is in that

I don't have enough hd space or a powerful enough box to compile, alas

--edit--

the 2nd and 3rd liantong are essentially the same, only fastest cpu removed

Got A5X Max 4GB ram running full desktop with Armbian_5.64_Rk3328-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.143_desktop_20181019 & rk3328-evb.dtb :), no wifi though (no biggie, eth still works)

1. When running mpv test video, it goes fullscreen and I lose keyboard control

2. Have to manually select 1st default sink for sound to come out of hdmi. Have to find where the config is to make it default to that.

3. Seems a bit sluggish with only 1.3GHz top cpu frequency. Looking to find ways to tweak that. Maybe when the xorg gpu driver comes out that will get better.

Overall still highly usable, thanks @balbes150

Added to the site a test version of the image 20181117 with the addition of a number of WiFi modules (dir 5.67/WIFI). I'm not sure it will work, this way on my MVR9 WiFi stopped working. Anyone can try on their models.

The test image on the basis of the kernel of 4.19 (dir DEV_NEXT). On MVR9 with dtb "rock64" in the settings, the system starts from the SD card, there is HDMI (output to the monitor), a wired network and USB. Thus, there are all the minimum elements necessary for the initial work. :)

5.67 20181117 seems to run better for me, let's see how it goes :)

Put the opp-1512000000 section from rock64 into evb, managed to get cpufreq-info to show 1.51GHz but sysbench does not show any improvement.

DEV_NEXT with rk3328-rock64.dtb boots to desktop but no ethernet. Tried replacing eth sections from evb into rock64, eth was not even detected.

A bit late, but I have narrowed down the problem, for at least my TV box

It is a problem with the regulators both linux and android have problems (at least their dtbs')

linux uses rk805,, android pwm/simple

with 805,, 00 1e 01 ,, sdio doesn't work, so no mmc      (gpio, offset, function)

sdmmc-regulator

with pwm  02 04 01 and 02 05 01 half fails (there is power to cpu and not cooked),, no gpu and debugfs

vdd-center, vdd-log

That is why the liantong had mmc but no vid, uses pwm, same as any other android dtb

I did luck into a blodge, works for armbian but not Balbes' TV

(cut out gpio0, go directly to pwm, not sure what to do with pinctrl-0, sorta works)

Clearly,, a dtb is a looong way from a bios,,, it would be really helpful if

as much as possible,, if phandle , if they corresponded to real hardware, had the same value as linux devices,,ALWAYS

Standards are a wonderful thing

--later--

A report on new  wifi-dev, No sd found

for rk3328-8d4-v1.1 ,, h96Max+

of the 5 dtbs, both liantong and evb-android crashed

z28 no mmc,,,. roc-cc emmc, no sd,,,, evb emmc, noticed sd but no p1,p2 no usb2 (phy-supply)

--a day later--

wanted to try my "blodged" dtb,,,,,Unable to read file my.dtb

but uboot ls saw it OK, had been lower-cased, so change extlinux.conf, ,

a uboot artifact, had NOT been lower cased,,, then tried one of the originals

Unable to read file rk3328-roc-cc.dtb,, spelling correct,, uboot ls sees it

?????,, nothing on google

Hi!

I have a rk3328 box on the way, and was looking at this thread to see if I can get armbian running on it.

The only difference I see from others is that my box will have Android 9.0 instead of 8.1

Will that make any difference in the install process? Will it still work?

The box is

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/A5X-MAX-RK3328-4GB-32GB-TV-Box-388745.html

thanks

16 hours ago, armar said:

Hi!

I have a rk3328 box on the way, and was looking at this thread to see if I can get armbian running on it.

The only difference I see from others is that my box will have Android 9.0 instead of 8.1

Will that make any difference in the install process? Will it still work?

The box is

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/A5X-MAX-RK3328-4GB-32GB-TV-Box-388745.html

thanks

I have the same box. Currently running balbes Armbian_5.67_Rk3328-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.143_desktop_20181117 with rk3328-evb.dtb

Boots off SD card to desktop, ethernet & sound works but not wifi

2 hours ago, amirul said:

I have the same box. Currently running balbes Armbian_5.67_Rk3328-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.143_desktop_20181117 with rk3328-evb.dtb

Boots off SD card to desktop, ethernet & sound works but not wifi

Good to hear !!

Are you using the img in

https://yadi.sk/d/DSO6euzB3ahemo/ARMBIAN/5.67/20181117

I notice there another Armbian_5.67_Rk3328-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.143_desktop_20181117 in the WIFI folder at the above site. Are you using that or the one in the main folder.

I am new to all  this ...

Do each of the different rk3328 boxes need slightly different wifi drivers? Does the install process get the driver from the Android installed on the box, or does it have a fixed wifi driver from the box the OP released the image for.

thanks

9 hours ago, armar said:

Good to hear !!

Are you using the img in

https://yadi.sk/d/DSO6euzB3ahemo/ARMBIAN/5.67/20181117

I notice there another Armbian_5.67_Rk3328-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.143_desktop_20181117 in the WIFI folder at the above site. Are you using that or the one in the main folder.

I am new to all  this ...

Do each of the different rk3328 boxes need slightly different wifi drivers? Does the install process get the driver from the Android installed on the box, or does it have a fixed wifi driver from the box the OP released the image for.

thanks

I am using the main one, have not tried the wifi version. As far as I can tell, the android drivers are not involved in the armbian boot up

Update ver 20181130 kernel 4.4

Add new ver Linux Next 20181130 kernel 4.20 (compiled from the official git Linux Next)

on MVR9 HDMI USB SD card wired network works

add test DTB rk3328-t9-android.dtb (for lan 100M)

Currently running Armbian_5.67_Rk3328-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.143_desktop_20181203 on A5X Max - RK3328 4gb ram

At the moment top cpu freq is 1.3GHz booting with rk3328-evb.dtb

Using dtc I had a look at rk3328-rock64 and it had an entry for 1.5GHz, so I copy pasted that into rk3328-evb and successfully booted.

cpufreq-info does show max freq as 1.5GHz but unfortunately unable to switch to it.

Any pointers to make it happen?

On 12/4/2018 at 9:53 AM, balbes150 said:

Version 20181203. kernel 4.4

Changes in network modules. In the browser, for a quick check, added a link to the test video.

Hello, i'm using the Debian Stretch version of this release (Filename: Armbian_5.67_Rk3328-tv_Debian_stretch_default_4.4.143_desktop_20181203.img.xz).

The tvbox is a MX10 (processor is rk3328). I'm using the rk3328-evb.dtb dtb file. Everything is working as expected besides Wifi and Bluetooth.

My Wifi chip is as follows:

3.19 WIFI+BT Module
WIFI+BT Module adopted is AP6354 chipset from Taiwan AMPK Technology

Here is my full armbianmonitor's log: http://ix.io/1vxI

How can i get Wifi to work? If have no idea where to start from.

Thank you all

4 hours ago, balbes150 said:

This is RK3368 and it needs its own version of u-boot (if this model even supports the ability to run from external media).

That's a pity. Was hoping to compare it with the s912, octacore vs octacore. Thanks for the info

Sticking with A5X Max rk3328 4gb kernel 4.4.143 as my daily driver, since 4.19 and 4.20 doesn't boot for me

Great thread !! 

I have armbian running from SD card on a A5X MAX with the

Armbian_5.67_Rk3328-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.143_desktop_20181203.img + rk3328-evb.dtb

Ethernet and sound working, but not wifi or BT.

@balbes150  To get the wifi to work, do I need a different version of the img? Or can  it work with the image I have with the right dtb file? I remember there was WIFI versions of the img in the past.

And, can I just change the dtb file and reboot? Or do I have to get a fresh img and repeat step 2 ?

I see some people have extracted the dtb (ftd) file from Android. Has anyone done this on the A5X Max boxes? Any instructions on how to do this? I don't have root on the box.