Armbian for TV box rk3328

balbes150

On 2/28/2019 at 1:00 PM, skyfly555 said:

Hello,

I have bought an MXQ PRO that has a Rockchip RK322x (don't know if it's 3228 or 3229).

Can I use this RK3328 ROM and it will work?

I just want to have a wordpress server using ethernet, I don't need wifi, bluetooth or desktop.

Thank you very much,

This is info from AIDA64, I've seen there are some rk3228 and rk3229 dtb files... is this image expected to work with my rk322x? Thank you!

SYSTEM

Device Type: TV

Manufacturer: rockchip

Model: rk322x

Device: rk322x_atv

Hardware: rk30board

Platform: rk322x

Product: rk322x_atv

Installed RAM: 2 GB

CPU

Core Architecture: 4x ARM Cortex-A7 @1392 MHz

Instruction Set: 32-bit ARMv7

Supported ABIs: armeabi-v7a, armeabi

DISPLAY

GPU Renderer: Mali-400 MP

GPU Version: OpenGL ES 2.0

ANDROID

Android Version: 8.1.0 (Oreo).

Android Security Patch Level: 2018-08-05

Build ID: rk322x_atv-userdebug 8.1.0 OPM6.180912.030.E1 20181116.093630 test-keys

Kernel architecture: armv71

Kernel version 4.4.138 (Leelbox@Leelbox) (gcc version 6.3.1 20170404).

8 hours ago, skyfly555 said:

This is info from AIDA64, I've seen there are some rk3228 and rk3229 dtb files... is this image expected to work with my rk322x? Thank you! 

8 hours ago, skyfly555 said:

Core Architecture: 4x ARM Cortex-A7 @1392 MHz

Instruction Set: 32-bit ARMv7

Supported ABIs: armeabi-v7a, armeabi

No, images from this theme will not work. You have a model with rk32xx , it is not aarch64. See the topic about rk32xx.

Anybody can explain this?

Hardware: MX10 running Armbian_5.74_Rk3328-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.154_desktop_20190208 with rk3328-mx10-fast.dtb

# set max cpu freq

sudo cpufreq-set --max=1.30GHz

# check

cpufreq-info

current policy: frequency should be within 600 MHz and 1.30 GHz.
                  The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.

# run youtube video

# ...after some time

cpufreq-info

current policy: frequency should be within 600 MHz and 1.01 GHz.
                  The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.

# what happened?

Never mind. It was powertop being weird

Edited by amirul
UPDATE

Hello  again to everybody. 

Back to the group after a while. My MX10 TV Box broke down and needed to be replaced, so I had  to way for the spare one. 

I can confirm that there are at least two models of MX10 4/32

The first one came with wifi chip rtl8723bs and ran with the rk3328-a5x-mx10.dtb. out of the box, with the only inconvenient of red led light instead of blue and I remote control not working. It has no Bluetooth so nothing to do. You can edit the source disk and add opp-cpu 1392 and change trip points for higher speed and it works

The second one has come with ssv6051 wifi chip and runs with rk3328-mx10.dtb, rk3328-mx10-fast.dtb and rk3328-mx10-slow.dtb. Each one has its failures. 

rk3328-mx10.dtb runs out of the box with same behaviour as the previous rk3328-a5x-mx10.dtb - red led and no IR command. It is also the slowest one in memory and disk operations. 

The rk3328-mx10-fast.dtb runs quicker - and hotter (reaches 95... 99.C) shows blue led but does not power off. 

Can anyone help me with fixing the no-poweroff bug?  It should be in the design. 

TIA

Update on the A5X MAX. 

I made some modifications to the dts file, mostly merging sections from android and other files. These include dram and Wifi  settings for the A5X MAX. The blue led also works now. Attached my latest dts.  Max freq is 1296, temp limits are 90C,105C and 110C.  None of the changes are very important, use at your own risk.

I could get USB webcams to work by enabling some USB AUDIO and VIDEO parameters in the .config and building/installing the kernel.

Got a  USB fan platform , on which you can place the A5X MAX (no modifications) and get a 15-20C reduction in temps. Details in the cooling of TV Boxes thread. The only problem is that the fan stays on after shutdown.

For Bluetooth, I found there were some disconnects/reconnects of BT and Wifi sometimes. Usually would reconnect on its own. Only happened when you use BT.  So based on the lwfinger 8723bs github page, I tried the new firmware rtlbt_fw_new by renaming rtlbt_fw to rtlbt_fw_old and copying rtlbt_fw_new to rtlbt_fw in /lib/firmware/rtl_bt and the disconnect/reconnect problems seem to have gone away.

I noticed that by default hdmi sound is not enabled, you have to go speaker icon on the panel and change it to hdmi, but if after booting you turn off/on the TV again, the sound through hdmi works, even though the panel Default Sink icon points to spdif. Might indicate some ordering problems during boot.

IR remote still does not work.

rk3328-a5xbt1.dts

33 minutes ago, armar said:

I noticed that by default hdmi sound is not enabled, you have to go speaker icon on the panel and change it to hdmi, but if after booting you turn off/on the TV again, the sound through hdmi works, even though the panel Default Sink icon points to spdif. Might indicate some ordering problems during boot.

IIRC, used to add "set-default-sink alsa_output.platform-hdmi-sound.stereo-fallback" in /etc/pulse/default.pa to get hdmi sound to work on boot. YMMV

4 minutes ago, amirul said:

IIRC, used to add "set-default-sink alsa_output.platform-hdmi-sound.stereo-fallback" in /etc/pulse/default.pa to get hdmi sound to work on boot. YMMV

It works !!

thanks

On 3/6/2019 at 1:55 AM, armar said:

IR remote still does not work.

rk3328-a5xbt1.dts

I'm working on generating an DTS file valid for LibreELEC for A5X . I don't know if this can be of help for you, but the IR part, I think where it says:

compatible = "rockchip,rk3328-pwm";

It should say:

compatible = "rockchip,remotectl-pwm";

And compile the kernel with:

CONFIG_ROCKCHIP_REMOTECTL=y

CONFIG_ROCKCHIP_REMOTECTL_PWM=y

PS: I just saw you have status = "disabled"; on the PWM that seems linked to the IR, is that intentional?

On 3/19/2019 at 5:27 AM, madmalkav said:

I'm working on generating an DTS file valid for LibreELEC for A5X . I don't know if this can be of help for you, but the IR part, I think where it says:

compatible = "rockchip,rk3328-pwm";

It should say:

compatible = "rockchip,remotectl-pwm";

And compile the kernel with:

CONFIG_ROCKCHIP_REMOTECTL=y

CONFIG_ROCKCHIP_REMOTECTL_PWM=y

PS: I just saw you have status = "disabled"; on the PWM that seems linked to the IR, is that intentional?

There seems to be 2 approaches to the remotectl in the dts. The android boxes use the ir_key entries in the pwm node, while some older dts like box-trn9 use the ir-receiver node in the dts. I put both of them in, so I could try them out, but  I had better luck with the ir-receiver node, as I could cat one of the dev files and see activity when I pressed the remote buttons. I also see a module rc-trn9 loaded. So I disabled the pwm entry and focused on the ir-receiver which I think had a better chance. I did nor try the config file changes. Do you have the remotectl working for libreelec with the config changes?

On 3/19/2019 at 3:27 PM, madmalkav said:

If you have a task to add support for the remote control in Libreelec, see these patches. They add support for the MX10, MVR9, Magicsee N6 max remotes.

https://github.com/150balbes/LibreELEC.tv/blob/Amlogic-Leia-4.x/projects/Rockchip/patches/linux/rockchip-4.4/linux-9000-box-trn9-rc-24k-dts.patch#L147

https://github.com/150balbes/LibreELEC.tv/blob/Amlogic-Leia-4.x/projects/Rockchip/patches/linux/rockchip-4.4/mvr9_ir_remote.patch

https://github.com/150balbes/LibreELEC.tv/tree/Amlogic-Leia-4.x/projects/Rockchip/patches/linux/rockchip-4.4

p.s.

By the way, Armbian runs normally and works on Magicsee N6 max (rk3399),

34 minutes ago, amirul said:

Is it smoother on the desktop than the rk3328, seeing that it has 2 extra cores?

RK3399 is significantly more powerful than RK3328. In normal mini PC mode it shows very good results (I rate it as a real replacement for a regular PC with i3-i5). XFCE desktop works without problems at 4K resolution (4096*2016). Even without the inclusion of HW he easily copes with full screen video at a resolution desktop 1080. In addition to it there is a media script that includes HW and then any video at the resolution of the desktop 4K works without problems on the entire screen. But it is important to understand - for the implementation of all the power is necessary TO have a good cooling (to alter the body and add a fan). Only then can all these results be obtained. By the way, Libreelec also works fine on rk3399 and shows very good results (for N6 I added the correct DTB to the Lebreelec images works  WiFi, BT, remote control and wired network).

17 hours ago, balbes150 said:

RK3399 is significantly more powerful than RK3328. In normal mini PC mode it shows very good results (I rate it as a real replacement for a regular PC with i3-i5). XFCE desktop works without problems at 4K resolution (4096*2016). Even without the inclusion of HW he easily copes with full screen video at a resolution desktop 1080. In addition to it there is a media script that includes HW and then any video at the resolution of the desktop 4K works without problems on the entire screen. But it is important to understand - for the implementation of all the power is necessary TO have a good cooling (to alter the body and add a fan). Only then can all these results be obtained. By the way, Libreelec also works fine on rk3399 and shows very good results (for N6 I added the correct DTB to the Lebreelec images works  WiFi, BT, remote control and wired network).

Wow, awesome. Better than the s912?

If it is, I shall be on the lookout for a cheap price on sale to try it out. Cheapest I find is ~USD88, I'm in at under USD45

18 minutes ago, amirul said:

Wow, awesome. Better than the s912?

If it is, I shall be on the lookout for a cheap price on sale ro try it out. Cheapest I find is ~USD88, I'm in at under USD45 

I feel like in normal mini PC mode, RK3399 is faster than s912. IMHO the Real price for normal RK3399 will be around 90-130. If you have the ability, and you are not only a regular user, but also carries out the development (you version of the kernel or u-boot, etc.), I would recommend the option Khadas EDGE-V. This device can be ordered immediately with a good cooling system (radiator+ fan) and the case. In addition, EDGE-V has a number of important features that do not have TV boxes and that significantly help in the development and any experiments with the device.

5 hours ago, madmalkav said:

Thanks @balbes150 and @armar for the information. I indeed had no luck with my attempts. @armar , you remember which files on dev filesystem showed activity when you tried the IR? I will analyze as soon as I fix other issues, mainly video playback starts to fail after 50 minutes playing or so...

% evtest  /dev/input/event2   

shows me the keypress codes. If you have installed lircd you have to stop it for evtest to work.

3 hours ago, madmalkav said:

Already tried changing CPU governor and monitoring temperatures. Perhaps is SMB related, will try with an USB drive just in case.

Try adding a platform fan. I found the A5X MAX even at 1296Mhz can go upto 100C when playing video on a browser. A platform fan, no mods needed takes the temp down 15-20 C, if you mod the case you might have even better cooling.

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/9649-proper-cooling-system-of-tv-boxes/?do=findComment&comment=73530

Thanks a lot for your help! Indeed, I got to read the NEC codes for the included IR remote with "ir-keytable -v -t -p nec". Also, I have an universal remote programmed as a MCE remote and it is read correctly after doing "ir-keytable -v -t -p rc-6"

Created an rc keymap for the remote, available at: https://pastebin.com/i24UiQvt

Unfortunately, I get a compile error:

drivers/media/rc/keymaps/rc-a5x.c:34:14: error: ‘RC_MAP_A5X’ undeclared here (not in a function); did you mean ‘RC_MAP_CEC’?
   .name    = RC_MAP_A5X,
              ^~~~~~~~~~
              RC_MAP_CEC

Will continue looking at it later, I have to attend to other , more boring, duties now :P

PS: I'm pretty sure this error is caused because i forgot to edit the .h file...

Has anyone tried using Armbian with the A64 TV Box? It's one of the few Gigabit RK3328 TV boxes, most RK3328 have only 100M Ethernet, which makes them unsuitable for my use case :/

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/A64-KODI-18-0-Android-7-1-2-RK3328-4GB-64GB-TV-Box-402483.html

On 3/23/2019 at 7:44 PM, user89235 said:

It's one of the few Gigabit RK3328 TV boxes, most RK3328 have only 100M Ethernet, which makes them unsuitable for my use case

This is a guaranteed working model with 1000 wired network and DDR4.

https://www.amazon.fr/TICTID-Touchpad-Bluetooth-Quad-Core-Cortex-A53/dp/B07GH12CRZ/ref=sr_1_6?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=TICTID&qid=1552449517&s=gateway&sr=8-6

On 3/25/2019 at 8:42 AM, balbes150 said:

Unfortunately, I've already bought/received the A64 TV Box.

I tried to run your Armbian builds, however it doesn't even try to boot from the SD Card, instead of that it instantly boots Android. I tried to force a boot from the SD using "adb reboot update", which didn't work... Is there any way I can force the TV Box to boot from the SD Card? :/ I can access the recovery/bootloader through ADB, however I cant select that it should boot from SD, since it's only looking for a .zip update file.

Edit: Using the toothpick method (by pushing down a little button in the AV port) loads a special custom recovery (?) which erases the user data, reinstalles Kodi and then reboots, I can't select anything else. The manifacturing company provides the original .img file (  "mxq_rk3328_d4_B_rtl8822_k11_20171221_r1(A64 显示kodi18.0).img"   ), however the installation instructions are poorly translated.

Putting a random update.zip on a flash drive (to trigger the update process, like I've done it with old S805 boxes) just opens a window, which says "error - not a valid update package".

Edit #2: I've tried using the newest RockChip Batch Tool (which isn't in Chinese, thanks god) with the .img file, the original Android image gets accepted, but unluckily it doesn't accept the Armbian image ("ERROR - Load Firmware Failed").

1 hour ago, user89235 said:

Unfortunately, I've already bought/received the A64 TV Box.

I tried to run your Armbian builds, however it doesn't even try to boot from the SD Card, instead of that it instantly boots Android. I tried to force a boot from the SD using "adb reboot update", which didn't work... Is there any way I can force the TV Box to boot from the SD Card? :/ I can access the recovery/bootloader through ADB, however I cant select that it should boot from SD, since it's only looking for a .zip update file.

Edit: Using the toothpick method (by pushing down a little button in the AV port) loads a special custom recovery (?) which erases the user data, reinstalles Kodi and then reboots, I can't select anything else. The manifacturing company provides the original .img file (  "mxq_rk3328_d4_B_rtl8822_k11_20171221_r1(A64 显示kodi18.0).img"   ), however the installation instructions are poorly translated.

Putting a random update.zip on a flash drive (to trigger the update process, like I've done it with old S805 boxes) just opens a window, which says "error - not a valid update package".

Edit #2: I've tried using the newest RockChip Batch Tool (which isn't in Chinese, thanks god) with the .img file, the original Android image gets accepted, but unluckily it doesn't accept the Armbian image ("ERROR - Load Firmware Failed").

RK models use a different principle of running from external media. There is no multi-boot activation mode. That is, when you connect the SD card with the correct u-boot on the SD card, Armbian should start automatically. If you do not, then either the u-boot in your firmware is specifically blocked from running other systems, or the u-boot on the SD card does not fit your model. In this thread there are links and description to another variant of u-boot, see previous posts in this thread. If writing another version of u-boot to the SD card does not help, you will have to use the method of maskrom (contact closure on the Board to lock the regular u-boot in eMMC). The details are in the thread about the Z28 model on this forum.

43 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

RK models use a different principle of running from external media. There is no multi-boot activation mode. That is, when you connect the SD card with the correct u-boot on the SD card, Armbian should start automatically. If you do not, then either the u-boot in your firmware is specifically blocked from running other systems, or the u-boot on the SD card does not fit your model. In this thread there are links and description to another variant of u-boot, see previous posts in this thread. If writing another version of u-boot to the SD card does not help, you will have to use the method of maskrom (contact closure on the Board to lock the regular u-boot in eMMC). The details are in the thread about the Z28 model on this forum.

So I just download all images in your UBOOT folder and rename them to uboot.img (and try them, one by one)? That didn't work, if I did everything correctly :/

6 hours ago, madmalkav said:

Got bundled remote to work with A5X in LibreElec, @armar you were right about not using the PWM part on LE.

Thanks madmalkav. I added @madmalkav s code  above  to armbian to rc-a5x.c in drivers/media/rc/keymaps/rc-a5x.c , modified the makefile, and rc-map.h (added a define for RC_MAP_A5X), built installed the kernel and modules.

I also changed the dts ir-receiver node to use rc-a5x instead of rc-trn9

3019c3019
<         linux,rc-map-name = "rc-a5x";
---
>         linux,rc-map-name = "rc-trn9";

I also systemctl disable lircd which I had installed before. Not needed if you don't have it installed.

The remote seems to be working, at least some of it. The volume/mute/forward/backward  buttons work in the mpv media player. The "back" and "up" "down" buttons work in the browser. The power button brings up the power menu but the OK button does not seem to work in the power menu. I am not sure what the supposed behavior of the remote is for the desktop. If  anyone is running kodi,  let us know if the remote is useful.

Now I need to figure out how to trigger custom scripts with the remote. 

Thanks for the images you provided, my box can be launched. But Ethernet is not working properly. I'm a Linux novice, copying DTB files from Android and referring to modifications, but it doesn't work. By the way, my box doesn't have a wireless network.
Can someone help me?
This is my box chip model.

chip.jpg

This is the box's Android DTB and DTS files.

p1-android.dtb

p1-android.dts

Edited by wdmomo