Armbian for TV box rk3328

balbes150

@coreyou - for the t9 you need my special rk3328-t9.dtb - just look upwards in this thread to find it. @balbes150 - can you maybe include it into the next image you build? it seems to at least work well on the 4g/32g models.

@Sico - in case another sd card will not help neither, then i guess the hardware is different between the 4g/32g model which i use and the 2g/16g model you have. in that case maybe try to install a terminal app on your android, put in some free and fat32 formatted sd-card or usb stick, find out where it gets mounted via "df" command, cd to that dir, run the following code:

mkdir device-tree-copy
cd device-tree-copy
for i in `find /proc/device-tree/ -type d | sed 's,/proc/device-tree/,,g'` ; do echo $i; mkdir -p $i ; done
for i in `find /proc/device-tree/ -type f | sed 's,/proc/device-tree/,,g'` ; do echo $i; cat /proc/device-tree/$i > $i ; done
cd ..
tar czf device-tree-copy.tar.gz device-tree-copy

and afterwards please attach the resulting device-tree-copy.tar.gz here. this is the dtb describing the hardware and which we can then read by unpacking that archive and running "dtc -I fs -O dts device-tree-copy" on a linux machine to maybe find out more ...

best wishes - hexdump

13 hours ago, hexdump said:

can you maybe include it into the next image you build?

I'll check to see if it can be turned on (so it can automatically assemble with the kernel).

1 hour ago, Sico said:

Hey @hexdump, no luck with the new SD card.

Nevertheless I followed your steps and here you can find attached the result of the script.

Thank you again.

device-tree-copy.tar.gz 56.62 kB · 1 download

It is possible that the DDR settings for 4GB RAM is different from the DDR settings for 2GB RAM.

You could try to find the android dtb, on the box, decompile it to dts, and replace the ddr settings in your dtb with the ones in the android dtb.

You can find the android dtb either using adb, or finding a firmware update from the vendor and splitting it up. Both ways are talked about on earlier posts on this thread.

In general, comparing the android dtb with the one you are using and selectively copying sections in the dts is a worthwhile effort.

Good luck

hi @armar - the above device-tree-copy.tar.gz is the android dtb, just in another format and read from the system in an easier way :)

@Sico - your hardware is definitely different from the 4g/32g t9 hardware - atttached is the resulting android dts file for your box - what you can do is: take my rk3328-t9.dts file from above and change all the opp-microvolt* values in the various sections to the values in your dts file and then build your dtb from it on a linux machine with the command "dtc -I dts -O dtb your-modified-rk3328-t9.dts > rk3328-t9-2g.dtb" and try this dtb then. you might need to install the "device-tree-compiler" package on your linux system for this.

good luck and let me know about the result and post the resulting rk3328-t9-2g.dts and rk3328-t9-2g.dtb files here in case it works.

hexdump

t9-2g.dts

@hexdump thanks for reply,

now its running to shell promt  or its named grup shell   (not know)

how is the next step to get an Amrbian Ubuntu Deksktop or similar the same ?  ;-)

i could only type help for review some avaible commands.   i tried sutch lines of install script with are tagt here on page 1 but this not work.  (sutch files not avaible on this point)

Thank you very much @hexdump, I really appreciate your help.
 I tried what you said with no success. You can find attached the non-working .dts & .dtb.
Maybe there are other parameters to change? I tried another dtb replacing also opp-hz and rockchip,leakage-voltage-sel but it doesn't works neither.

When booting with tAndroid the front light changes from red to blue, and when I try to boot from the SD the light keep red.

@armar Thank you too for your advice. I not an expert but the memory parameters seems to be the same.

rk3328-t9-2g.dtb rk3328-t9-2g.dts

@hexdump Yes I gathered that but can you generate a dts from the device tree dir structure. It is much easier to compare and merge dts tree files (after sorting).

@Sico The red light does not mean much. On the A5X Max we had most things working even though the light was red.

Are you trying all your experiments with both SD and USB at the same time?

@armar - yes with the -I or -O fs options you can also use a device tree structure as input or output for the dtc command - it then works exactly like a dtb file with the -I or -O dtb options.

@Sico - your edited dts file looks right - the last easy option is see would be to set the dmc-opp entry (memory voltage and frequency scaling) for opp-600000000 and opp-800000000 from disabled to okay like in your dts, but i guess it will not help much neither. opp-hz should not really differ between the dts files, except for the higher disabled clocks by me.

if all that does not help, i would suggest you get some pl2003 usb to serial adapter and solder a serial console to your board (only gnd, rx and tx - usually tx from the board to rx of the adapter and the other way around). this way you will be able to see the bootup messages and get an idea about what really is the problem. one thing to be aware is that the baud speed of the serial console is 1500000 for rockchip devices instead of the usual 115200.

good luck - hexdump

@armar Yes, I tried with and without USB but it doesn't work either :(

@hexdump I tried to change these entries and many more but with no success.
Maybe a silly question, can we just take and build the dtb from the android dts changing the boot references? There are other important parameters?

Thank you again.

On 5/22/2019 at 4:01 AM, hexdump said:

I have h96max+ rk3328 tv boxes ram4/rom32

I copy 3 files to /dtb/rockchip/   # I'm not test *fast.dtb

and edit  /extlinux/extlinux.conf  

LABEL Armbian
  LINUX /Image
  INITRD /uInitrd
  FDT /dtb/rockchip/rk3328-t9.dtb
# FDT /dtb/rockchip/rk3328-mx10-fast.dtb
#  FDT /dtb/rockchip/rk3328-a5x.dtb
#  FDT /dtb/rockchip/rk3328-box-trn9.dtb
  APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=uart8250,mmio32,0xff130000 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 

then I can boot the box on only sd card (Armbian_5.82_Rk3328-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.154_desktop_20190427.img).  thank you  ,hexdump , balbes150 . 

but no luck for  LibreELEC

On 2/19/2019 at 1:48 AM, Escobar523 said:

IMG-20190218-204512-2.jpgI tryed some ways of cooling that device passive, but only this one keeps the temperature constant over time. Current came first from a modded usb-cable, but connecting to the 3,3v of the uart port does the job too and keep the noise down. Not pretty, but it improves the lifetime of the cpu 😎

This is my attempt. It looks like it is working. Today only I did it. I ran following command for 2 hrs and temp stayed at around 65

sudo stress --cpu  8 --timeout 7200 &

I bought some copper foil sheet and wrapped it around the top cover. Inside the cover, where CPU is there, I placed some package material and then wrapped copper foil over it. It will ensure the existing CPU heat sink is having very good contact with this foil. Copper foil used by me is a 5cm width foil. Earlier I tried using aluminium foil (used to pack food), but was not so effective. Temperature used to shoot up to 85c.

https://www.amazon.in/Generic-Roll-Metre-Copper-Wide-57000516MG/dp/B01FY2183Q?tag=googinhydr18418-21&tag=googinkenshoo-21&ascsubtag=_k_CjwKCAjw0N3nBRBvEiwAHMwvNvYLAZn7buhcC2xQPGDqGQRzJcxoI1CYGop6MjdIiiuPgXiNJIaIXBoCn_cQAvD_BwE_k_&gclid=CjwKCAjw0N3nBRBvEiwAHMwvNvYLAZn7buhcC2xQPGDqGQRzJcxoI1CYGop6MjdIiiuPgXiNJIaIXBoCn_cQAvD_BwE

2hrsLoadTest.jpeg

copperCooling.jpeg

On 6/4/2019 at 8:58 PM, Sico said:

@hexdump I tried to change these entries and many more but with no success.
Maybe a silly question, can we just take and build the dtb from the android dts changing the boot references? There are other important parameters?

@Sico - using the android dtb will most probably not work - i tried it with the t9-android.dtb on my t9 and it failed. with a serial console i was at least able to boot with it with "init=/bin/bash" in the kernel cmdline, but it paniced as soon as i tried to do anything more complex with it.

as i said, the only real option from where you are right now is to get the serial console working and post the boot output when booting your rk3328-t9-2g.dtb ...

good luck and best wishes - hexdump

Succesfully booted Armbian_5.82_Rk3328-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.154_desktop_20190427 on my HK1 MAX (rebranded H96 MAX Plus).

I used rk3328-t9.dtb and edited the extlinux.conf file accordingly.
The only things that doesn't work are Bluetooth and WiFi.
Is there a way to fix these?
Thanks in advance

@TheGiolly - you may try to get the dtb of the box (see my device-tree-copy.tar.gz post a bit higher) and create a dts file from it and post it here or compare it yourself with the t9 dts - this could give a hint about the wlan chip used.

17 hours ago, hexdump said:

as i said, the only real option from where you are right now is to get the serial console working and post the boot output when booting your rk3328-t9-2g.dtb ...

Thank you again @hexdump . I'll go with the serial console. I've just purchased a USB to Serial adapter,  I will post my progress as soon as I receive it and can work on this.

On 6/6/2019 at 6:41 AM, hexdump said:

@TheGiolly - you may try to get the dtb of the box (see my device-tree-copy.tar.gz post a bit higher) and create a dts file from it and post it here or compare it yourself with the t9 dts - this could give a hint about the wlan chip used.

The wireless chipset should be an HS2734C, the one on the bottom left corner of the PCB.
Attached you find a picture of my board and the file requested.
Thanks for the support

Update: also tried 'dtc -I fs -O dts device-tree-copy' but it ends in a Segmentation Fault :/

IMG_20190606_182635.jpg

device-tree-copy.tar.gz

On 5/17/2019 at 5:24 PM, amirul said:

On 5/17/2019 at 6:34 PM, balbes150 said:

Try it and tell the others :)

PS I do not have such equipment, I do not know whether it will work or not.

It works. I need to use both USB and micro SD card method. Already installed it on emmc. I ordered this one

https://www.banggood.in/H96-MAX-RK3318-4GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-5G-WIFI-bluetooth-4_0-Android-9_0-4K-VP9-H_265-TV-Box-p-1471898.html?rmmds=myorder&ID=533601&cur_warehouse=CN

Succesfully booted LibreELEC-RK3328.aarch64-9.1-devel-20190306084305-ba744c2-box-trn9.img  on my H96 MAX+ 4/32 android8
I copy rk3328-t9.dtb to /dtb/ and edited /extlinux/extlinux.conf file accordingly.
LABEL LibreELEC  LINUX /KERNEL  FDT /dtb/rk3328-t9.dtb  APPEND boot=LABEL=LIBREELEC disk=LABEL=STORAGE quiet console=tty0

The only things that doesn't work are Bluetooth and WiFi.

thank you  ,hexdump , balbes150 . 

@TheGiolly - from your device tree it looks like the wifi chip is an ap6330, which should be possible to get working in linux and should with proper config even provide bluetooth. i'm not really an expert in how to get this working - maybe @balbes150 knows more, as he is more familiar with getting this stuff working on other boards.

@sekarpdkt - if you did not do yet, please try my rk3328-t9.dtb (just find my corresponding post by going backwards in this thread) - with this it should work with only the sd card alone maybe.

best wishes - hexdump

6 hours ago, sekarpdkt said:

I have not changed anything. Just checked the SD card used and it was  FDT /dtb/rockchip/rk3328-mx10-fast.dtb.

OK. If you could run 

sysbench cpu --num-threads=4 --cpu-max-prime=20000 run

maybe can compare events per sec with rk3328

8 minutes ago, amirul said:

OK. If you could run 

sysbench cpu --num-threads=4 --cpu-max-prime=20000 run 

maybe can compare events per sec with rk3328

I killed all my applications and ran. Hostname is still rk3328, but it is new 3318 box.

sekar@rk3328:~$ sysbench cpu --num-threads=4 --cpu-max-prime=20000 run
WARNING: --num-threads is deprecated, use --threads instead
sysbench 1.0.11 (using system LuaJIT 2.1.0-beta3)

Running the test with following options:
Number of threads: 4
Initializing random number generator from current time

Prime numbers limit: 20000

Initializing worker threads...

Threads started!

CPU speed:
    events per second:   473.87

General statistics:
    total time:                          10.0077s
    total number of events:              4747

Latency (ms):
         min:                                  8.40
         avg:                                  8.43
         max:                                 32.47
         95th percentile:                      8.43
         sum:                              39996.17

Threads fairness:
    events (avg/stddev):           1186.7500/2.28
    execution time (avg/stddev):   9.9990/0.00

sekar@rk3328:~$ uname -a
Linux rk3328 4.4.154-rk3328-tv #8 SMP Sat Apr 27 18:05:05 MSK 2019 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
sekar@rk3328:~$ cat /proc/
Display all 192 possibilities? (y or n)
sekar@rk3328:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo 
processor       : 0
BogoMIPS        : 48.00
Features        : fp asimd evtstrm aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 8
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0xd03
CPU revision    : 4

processor       : 1

processor       : 2

processor       : 3

Serial          : 2bc1d1e27a938fb8
sekar@rk3328:~$ 

8 minutes ago, sekarpdkt said:

I killed all my applications and ran. Hostname is still rk3328, but it is new 3318 box.

sekar@rk3328:~$ sysbench cpu --num-threads=4 --cpu-max-prime=20000 run
WARNING: --num-threads is deprecated, use --threads instead
sysbench 1.0.11 (using system LuaJIT 2.1.0-beta3)

Running the test with following options:
Number of threads: 4
Initializing random number generator from current time

Prime numbers limit: 20000

Initializing worker threads...

Threads started!

CPU speed:
    events per second:   473.87

General statistics:
    total time:                          10.0077s
    total number of events:              4747

Latency (ms):
         min:                                  8.40
         avg:                                  8.43
         max:                                 32.47
         95th percentile:                      8.43
         sum:                              39996.17

Threads fairness:
    events (avg/stddev):           1186.7500/2.28
    execution time (avg/stddev):   9.9990/0.00

sekar@rk3328:~$ uname -a
Linux rk3328 4.4.154-rk3328-tv #8 SMP Sat Apr 27 18:05:05 MSK 2019 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
sekar@rk3328:~$ cat /proc/
Display all 192 possibilities? (y or n)
sekar@rk3328:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo 
processor       : 0

processor       : 1

processor       : 2

processor       : 3

Serial          : 2bc1d1e27a938fb8
sekar@rk3328:~$ 

Looks like it performs about the same as the rk3328. Looking via htop, does it run as hot?

On 6/8/2019 at 8:18 AM, amirul said:

Looks like it performs about the same as the rk3328. Looking via htop, does it run as hot?

I see events/sec on the A5X Max RK3328 box to be higher, about 950 (even above 1000 sometimes). 

Temperature goes up to 85 though if you run for a while without the fan ....

sysbench cpu --num-threads=4 --cpu-max-prime=20000  run

Threads started!

CPU speed:
    events per second:   945.34

General statistics:
    total time:                          10.0028s
    total number of events:              9460

Latency (ms):
         min:                                  3.88
         avg:                                  4.23
         max:                                 39.99
         95th percentile:                      4.10
         sum:                              39970.70

Threads fairness:
    events (avg/stddev):           2365.0000/43.46
    execution time (avg/stddev):   9.9927/0.01

Maybe if the rk3318 gets a  dtb tuned for it,  both performance and temperature will go up.

i would say that the rk3318 is identical to the rk3328 - its just for marketing to sell it cheaper to manufacturers who want to get it cheaper and still being able to sell it to the others who are willing to pay more the rk3328 at a higher price ... there is no official information for the rk3318, which i think speaks for itself and the cpuid information is identical to the one from an rk3328 ...

best wishes - hexdump

I guess the best I have so far is Magicsee N6 Max (~2300 events per second). I'll keep hammering on that box until something better comes along. Seem to be at Armbian 5.86 for a while now, but works great so far :thumbup: