Armbian for TV box rk3328

balbes150

Hey @hexdump I got the UART cable, and I tried to connect in many ways, using the console in Mac and using Putty in Windows as described here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-circuitpython/advanced-serial-console-on-mac-and-linux
(in the previous case not listed in the device list) and here:

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/8237-serial-console-access-via-usb-uartgadget-mode-on-linuxwindowsosx/

Can you tell my please how you got it working? Maybe my system is no booting at all?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, bybik said:

Hi 

I have a5max tvbox.

I successfuly boot on sd card  and usb stick.

But another side eMMc not working.Any one have right dtb file for eMMC working correct.

I think dtb is not the issue. Did you follow these steps for eMMc?

4. Rename the file "/boot/mvr9-uboot.img" to "/boot/uboot.img" in /boot directory

5. Run as user "root" script "/boot/create-mbr-linux.sh"

6. To run the script "/root/install.sh"

First time I forgot to follow step 4 & 5. If you go up few pages, you will also find mgx0 faced similar problem. Just check

20 hours ago, balbes150 said:

In the repository Disсo until the worker LIGHTDM, so you have to use the NODM.

OK. A few weird things

1. htop does not show cpu temp

2. Preferred application launch error /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/xfce4/exo-1/exo-helper-1 (No such file or directory)

SOLVED: install libexo-1-0

3. ping: socket: Operation not permitted. which ping -> /usr/bin/ping instead of /bin/ping

SOLVED: sudo setcap cap_net_raw+p /bin/ping

@Sico - did you get your usb serial adapter soldered properly to the board in the box and do you get some readable output when the box boots? if not there should be a lot of ressources on the net on how to get this working. please keep in mind, that rockchip boards usually use a speed of 1500000 instead of the usual 115200. if you get some boot output, then please create a pastebin of the boot output when you try to boot armbian on that box and post the link here.

good luck - hexdump

3 minutes ago, Reddwarf said:

Sorry for asking a noob question but how do I get may A5XMax box with Android 8.1 to boot from sd-card? It just starts android when I insert the card and power up...

Try editing /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and uncommenting the line with rk3328-a5x.dtb in it, and commenting all other FDT lines. If that doesn't work try the other dtbs in /boot/dtb/rockchip/rk3328-a5x*

1 hour ago, amirul said:

Try editing /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and uncommenting the line with rk3328-a5x.dtb in it, and commenting all other FDT lines. If that doesn't work try the other dtbs in /boot/dtb/rockchip/rk3328-a5x*

There is no comments at all in extlinux.conf and only one FDT line, I edited the FDT line to use rk3328-box-liantong.dtb since it seems most appropiate for my box....

I'm running Armbian on A5X Max and I'm fully satisfied with it, so one more time I have to thanks all the people contributing to the project. I'm also curious about Mycroft (https://mycroft.ai), that is an open source Alexa like SW allowing to control devices via AI based voice recognition. I've seen that Orange PI boards with Armbian can run Mycroft and I would like to know if in your opinion it is possible to add to A5X Max some HW components providing  audio input/output capabilities for interacting with Mycroft on Armbian.

On 6/14/2019 at 12:19 AM, kammamuri said:

I'm running Armbian on A5X Max and I'm fully satisfied with it, so one more time I have to thanks all the people contributing to the project. I'm also curious about Mycroft (https://mycroft.ai), that is an open source Alexa like SW allowing to control devices via AI based voice recognition. I've seen that Orange PI boards with Armbian can run Mycroft and I would like to know if in your opinion it is possible to add to A5X Max some HW components providing  audio input/output capabilities for interacting with Mycroft on Armbian.

Excuse me for not having answer to your question, can I just ask how you got the A5X Max to boot from SD-card? I can't seem to get mine booting, it is a brand new box, title A5X Max+ with Android 8.1. Is that different from your box?

18 hours ago, Reddwarf said:

Excuse me for not having answer to your question, can I just ask how you got the A5X Max to boot from SD-card? I can't seem to get mine booting, it is a brand new box, title A5X Max+ with Android 8.1. Is that different from your box?

The A5X Max+ is different, it is unable to boot from SD card. You can install armbian to eMMC via usb-cable in maskrom-mode, but it is replace the original Android firmware. I added an initial support for this box to the tvboxes branch (It is not officially supported by the armbian team!): https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/1415 I can upload a flashable image somewhere, if you interested.

Edited by Gergely

On 6/21/2019 at 10:20 AM, Gergely said:

The A5X Max+ is different, it is unable to boot from SD card. You can install armbian to eMMC via usb-cable in maskrom-mode, but it is replace the original Android firmware. I added an initial support for this box to the tvboxes branch (It is not officially supported by the armbian team!): https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/1415 I can upload a flashable image somewhere, if you interested.

Yes please, I am very interested. How do I do it? Thanks in advance :)

Edit: I have the 4GB RAM / 32Gb ROM version

Edit2: I see there is a script for loading into the A5Max+, can Balbes images be loaded with this? Or converted to be loadable?

1 hour ago, Reddwarf said:

Yes please, I am very interested. How do I do it? Thanks in advance :)

Edit: I have the 4GB RAM / 32Gb ROM version

Edit2: I see there is a script for loading into the A5Max+, can Balbes images be loaded with this? Or converted to be loadable?

If I have a little time I will write a description and upload the image.

You can flash the Balbes image too with the script, maybe it will work. But a few things will certainly not work, eg wifi, led display. I don't know exactly, I didn't tried. My first try was the official rock64 image. Basic functions works with that.

2 minutes ago, Gergely said:

You can flash the Balbes image too with the script, maybe it will work. But a few things will certainly not work, eg wifi, led display. I don't know exactly, I didn't tried. My first try was the official rock64 image. Basic functions works with that.

Thanks, looking forward to test :)

15 hours ago, Gergely said:

Impatiently I tested with the Balbes image, as soon as I start ./flash.sh it says "The device does not support this operation!" Is the script/sw written for an A5XMax and does not work on A5XMax+ ?

Needless to say the box did not boot when powered up, I also tried the Rock64 image, same result.

Label on my box says A5Xmax+432183702296

3 hours ago, Reddwarf said:

Impatiently I tested with the Balbes image, as soon as I start ./flash.sh it says "The device does not support this operation!" Is the script/sw written for an A5XMax and does not work on A5XMax+ ?

Needless to say the box did not boot when powered up, I also tried the Rock64 image, same result.

Label on my box says A5Xmax+432183702296

Your device was in maskrom-mode? For maskrom-mode, you need to short these two pins while insert the USB cable (This should work even if your box currently is not boot):

a5xmax.thumb.jpg.9dff8fc60d1097c795910c5d56499070.jpg

15 minutes ago, Gergely said:

Your device was in maskrom-mode? For maskrom-mode, you need to short these two pins while insert the USB cable (This should work even if your box currently is not boot):

a5xmax.thumb.jpg.9dff8fc60d1097c795910c5d56499070.jpg

Ah no, I just pushed the reset button while inserting the USB cable...

8 minutes ago, Reddwarf said:

Thanks but I suspect my box is FUBAR, it doesen't give out video even when I flash the stock Android 8.1 :(

What is the output of the script when you flashed an image?

On 6/24/2019 at 7:29 PM, Reddwarf said:

Thanks but I suspect my box is FUBAR, it doesen't give out video even when I flash the stock Android 8.1 :(

A bad USB cable can cause error like this. Try another. Otherwise, where did you find the stock Android 8.1 image?