Armbian for TV box rk3328

balbes150

16 hours ago, Gergely said:

A bad USB cable can cause error like this. Try another. Otherwise, where did you find the stock Android 8.1 image?

No the flashing goes ok. The srock Android was downloaded from Gearbest (or was it Banggood?) where I bought the box.

On 6/27/2019 at 9:32 AM, Reddwarf said:

No the flashing goes ok. The srock Android was downloaded from Gearbest (or was it Banggood?) where I bought the box.

If your box is still able to enter maskrom-mode, it will continue to work. I uploaded a new version of the script that also flash the gpt partitions. I hope that's what I missed. You can download it from here:
https://mega.nz/#!yLAR3AIZ!1RXrDS-1f_y2M50fSokz5PsLcNRXenAzlhPRU_n_C6o

Otherwise, what tool did you use to flash the android firmware? (The script can't do it.)

On 6/30/2019 at 1:11 AM, Reddwarf said:

Thanks I'll give it a go. I flashed the stock Android with the recommended FactoryTool.

I was able to verify that the box is ok by flashing another download of the stock Android rom, so I tried flashing the Linux image again.

The log says "16:05:43     Error: failed to stat config.ini, err=2" repeadetly, console output is:

karstein@Pallas ~/A5XMax/a5xmaxplus_linux_flasher $ ./flash.sh
Downloading bootloader succeeded.
Writing gpt succeeded.
Write LBA from file (100%)
Upgrading loader succeeded.
Reset Device OK.
karstein@Pallas ~/A5XMax/a5xmaxplus_linux_flasher $

but the box does not boot when powered up. Monitor is not turned on (ie no video output) and the red LED in the box is the only one lit.

31 minutes ago, Reddwarf said:

I was able to verify that the box is ok by flashing another download of the stock Android rom, so I tried flashing the Linux image again.

The log says "16:05:43     Error: failed to stat config.ini, err=2" repeadetly, console output is:

karstein@Pallas ~/A5XMax/a5xmaxplus_linux_flasher $ ./flash.sh
Downloading bootloader succeeded.
Writing gpt succeeded.
Write LBA from file (100%)
Upgrading loader succeeded.
Reset Device OK.
karstein@Pallas ~/A5XMax/a5xmaxplus_linux_flasher $

but the box does not boot when powered up. Monitor is not turned on (ie no video output) and the red LED in the box is the only one lit.

Exactly which Android image works for you? Maybe we could try the MiniLoader in it.

15 hours ago, Reddwarf said:

I flashed the Android 8.1 from Gearbest download link: https://www.gearbest.com/blog/download/a5x-max-rk3328-tv-box-rom-firmware-pack-3238

How does the MiniLoader work? And does the error message about config.ini have any significance?

The error message only shows that the config.ini file is missing. But otherwise based on the output the installation was successful. It should work. Unfortunately, I don't know what the problem is.

I uploaded the MiniLoaderAll.bin file that can be found in the android image that you linked. Replace the MiniLoaderAll.bin file in the images folder with it, and try flash again: https://mega.nz/#!PWZ22agZ!egozzjZ6Gi5FnPsNW4RZB_4GdIjGTXN8dVBVvD25zgo

I have no other idea yet, sorry.

3 hours ago, Gergely said:

The error message only shows that the config.ini file is missing. But otherwise based on the output the installation was successful. It should work. Unfortunately, I don't know what the problem is.

I uploaded the MiniLoaderAll.bin file that can be found in the android image that you linked. Replace the MiniLoaderAll.bin file in the images folder with it, and try flash again: https://mega.nz/#!PWZ22agZ!egozzjZ6Gi5FnPsNW4RZB_4GdIjGTXN8dVBVvD25zgo

I have no other idea yet, sorry.

I remembered one more thing. Maybe you need to erase the emmc. I added the erasing to the script: https://mega.nz/#!LLIXjAJB!Nu5i9R3Vz_5wGs0nYT3O4rXSz8Yi0PCq7U_WC3TxeVU

4 hours ago, Reddwarf said:

Thanks for all your effort, I'll give it a go and report back :)

Tried with both bootloaders but still jo joy. Flashing works fine but no boot.

I notice that there are 3 points marked rx, gnd and tx, maybe I should try to hook up an rs232->usb converter and see if I can get a bootlog....

15 minutes ago, Reddwarf said:

Tried with both bootloaders but still jo joy. Flashing works fine but no boot.

I notice that there are 3 points marked rx, gnd and tx, maybe I should try to hook up an rs232->usb converter and see if I can get a bootlog....

This is the uart connector. All I know about it that it is accessible with unusual speed: 1500000

1 minute ago, Gergely said:

This is the uart connector. All I know about it that it is accessible with unusual speed: 1500000

Yes I know, the thought is thaat maybe it can give us some clue as to why it does not boot, perhaps Igor (Balbes150) can help decoding the bootlog...

On 6/12/2019 at 9:04 PM, hexdump said:

@Sico - did you get your usb serial adapter soldered properly to the board in the box and do you get some readable output when the box boots? if not there should be a lot of ressources on the net on how to get this working. please keep in mind, that rockchip boards usually use a speed of 1500000 instead of the usual 115200. if you get some boot output, then please create a pastebin of the boot output when you try to boot armbian on that box and post the link here.

good luck - hexdump

Hi @hexdump , @balbes150, I finally got some serial output but I don't understand what is wrong. Here is the output:

DDR version 1.13 20180428
ID:0xFFF
In
DDR3
333MHz
Bus Width=32 Col=11 Bank=8 Row=15 CS=1 Die Bus-Width=16 Size=2048MB
ddrconfig:2
OUT
Boot1 Release Time: Feb  2 2018 15:41:39, version: 2.46
ChipType = 0x11, 194
SdmmcInit=2 0
BootCapSize=2000
UserCapSize=15028MB
FwPartOffset=2000 , 2000
SdmmcInit=0 0
BootCapSize=0
UserCapSize=15193MB
FwPartOffset=2000 , 0
StorageInit ok = 171624
Raw SecureMode = 0
SecureInit read PBA: 0x4
SecureInit read PBA: 0x404
SecureInit read PBAt read PBA: 0xc04
SecureInit reNo find bl32.bin
Load uboot, ReadLba = 2000
Load OK, addr=0x200000, size=0xa3d00
RunBL31 0x10000
NOTICE:  BL31: v1.3(debug):f947c7e
NOTICE:  BL31: Built : 12:09:31, Aug 30 2018
NOTICE:  BL31:Rockchip release version: v1.3
ng rkfiq sec cpu_context!
INFO:r EL3 exit to normal world
INFO

U-Boot 2017.09-armbian (Apr 27 2019 - 17:29:26 +0300)

Model: Firefly ROC-RK3328-CC
DRAM:  

This is the dtb I'm using:

On 6/4/2019 at 10:55 AM, Sico said:

Thank you very much @hexdump, I really appreciate your help.
 I tried what you said with no success. You can find attached the non-working .dts & .dtb.
Maybe there are other parameters to change? I tried another dtb replacing also opp-hz and rockchip,leakage-voltage-sel but it doesn't works neither.

When booting with tAndroid the front light changes from red to blue, and when I try to boot from the SD the light keep red.

@armar Thank you too for your advice. I not an expert but the memory parameters seems to be the same.

rk3328-t9-2g.dtb 68.64 kB · 24 downloads rk3328-t9-2g.dts 81.73 kB · 22 downloads

Do you know what can be wrong?

Quick reminder, I'm using a H96 max+, 2GB RAM + 16GB Storage.

Thank you for the help.

11 hours ago, Sico said:

I finally got some serial output but I don't understand what is wrong. Here is the output: 

This u-boot is not suitable for your model (does not work correctly with memory).

On 7/8/2019 at 8:40 AM, balbes150 said:

This u-boot is not suitable for your model (does not work correctly with memory).

There is something I can do? Thank you.

On 1/30/2019 at 12:15 PM, mb16 said:

I made a few adjustments to the device tree for my XT-RX4B-V02 based box. The intermediate results look promising:

• wifi (RTL8723CS) basically works
  • memory perf:

armbian@rk3328:~$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/testfile bs=1M count=1000
  1000+0 records in
  1000+0 records out
  1048576000 bytes (1.0 GB, 1000 MiB) copied, 1.70386 s, 615 MB/s

... this was within an x11vnc session, on multiple tests I constantly get values greater than 550MB/s (The board has 4GB DDR3/1600 ram)

Notes

I never experienced stability issues. As the mounted "heatsink" is more than dubious, I lowered the temp limits just to stay on the safe side. Scaling down the cpu-frequency on temp limit works flawlessly.

The voltage settings used in Android are slightly lower than the ones in use. I had no time to test, might improve temps a bit.

There are still a number of issues, maybe someone around could kick in?

• Wifi client: Connect using nmtui is fine, but how to auto-connect on system start?
    The adapter chooses a random mac on boot. I think assigning a static one would help - I just did not find a proper way of doing so...
  • dmesg tells me that there are still a number of device tree issues that might prevent the gpu from working properly.
  • Bluetooth (RTL8723CS) does not work yet (while usb bluetooth dongle is fine). I got the impression (might be wrong) that chip support will still take some time, but I'd like to get the device tree right and don't know how to prove that I got pins/uart/device tree settings right.
  • @balbes150 lsmod tells me 8723cs and 8723ds get loaded. Removing 8723ds.ko helps - what would be the right way of dealing with such situation?

OT side notes:

Best

rk3328-box-RX4B-V02-WIP190129.dts 79.85 kB · 124 downloads

@mb16 Hi! I recently got a Leelbox Q4 Plus, which is very similar to yours (same board 'XT-RX4B-V02' and wifi 'RTL8723CS'... but has 64gb of storage). I wanted to ask if this is still your most up-to-date DTB file?

@balbes150 Thanks for all the hard work man! Given the above info, what DTB would you suggest would be best to use on this box? I've gone through all of the included ones and most of them at least boot and work to some degree... wasn't sure how to tell which would be best. The A5X and MX10 ones seem the most stable as far as I can tell, but I wanted to get your thoughts since you know the hardware and modules the DTB files better than I do.

Thanks!

18 hours ago, NyxPDX said:

Hi! I recently got a Leelbox Q4 Plus, which is very similar to yours (same board 'XT-RX4B-V02' and wifi 'RTL8723CS'... but has 64gb of storage). I wanted to ask if this is still your most up-to-date DTB file?

Yes, I did not work further on this, as it fits my basic needs. Btw. i'm quite happy with the device, works stable and without severe issues for me.

just in case someone else would like to play around with mainline on rk3328 tv boxes: i have created dts files for the t9 and the mx10 rk3328 tv boxes, which work with mainline - you can either try the dtb files or drop the dts files into this tree: https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-mainline-kernel.git plus apply the attached patch to build them from source. for me it works quite well, but its not deeply tested yet and not all hardware supported by the 4.4 kernels will be supported by mainline most probably. i think one or the other should work for most rk3328 tv boxes where the corresponding 4.4 dtb's work with the 4.4 kernels. @balbes150 - maybe they are interesting for you to include into future rk3328 images?

best wishes - hexdump

rk3328-t9-mainline.dtb rk3328-mx10-mainline.dts rk3328-mx10-mainline.dtb mx10-t9-mainline.patch rk3328-t9-mainline.dts

8 hours ago, hexdump said:

just in case someone else would like to play around with mainline on rk3328 tv boxes: i have created dts files for the t9 and the mx10 rk3328 tv boxes, which work with mainline - you can either try the dtb files or drop the dts files into this tree: https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-mainline-kernel.git plus apply the attached patch to build them from source. for me it works quite well, but its not deeply tested yet and not all hardware supported by the 4.4 kernels will be supported by mainline most probably. i think one or the other should work for most rk3328 tv boxes where the corresponding 4.4 dtb's work with the 4.4 kernels. @balbes150 - maybe they are interesting for you to include into future rk3328 images?

I'll only watch it after my vacation.

@hexdump

Thanks for your t9.dtb,, works fine with H96 max+ for me

I could never figure out how the regulators worked, somehow you did

Only thing lacking is module for SSV6051

I guess I should try to put patch in right place and make a kernel

The repo contains an incomplete/unsuccessful attempt to port the driver to mainline kernels around 4.18/4.19 time. Even by the unbelievably low standards of 3.14 vendor bsp kernel drivers the code is fugly awful crap. In researching the origin of the sources I had one of the Rockchip driver team we collaborate with (based in China; native Mandarin speaker) phone around some of the chip distributors to ask Q's and it appears "South Silicon Village" (the SSV in ssv6051) went bust in 2016 so there's zero hope of getting newer sources (but the distibutors still have stock and are still offering a good deal to those who seek the cheapest chips). There's another Github repo (also doesn't compile work) that hints the driver is really a clone/rip-off of a Realtek design (although I forget which one) but some LE people experimented with some Realtek sources changing ID's and such but never got anything to work.

TL/DR; If you have hardware with that chipset .. the cheapest $2 used Realtek USB wireless thing you can find on eBay is miles better :)

NB: I've now added **NOT WORKING** to the Github repo description.

Did anyone try to boot from the sdcard and load the rootfs from an usb 3.0 stick?

I tried to follow the idea of this article:

https://www.google.de/amp/s/jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi-4-usb-boot-config-guide-for-ssd-flash-drives/%3famp

(Is it allowed to post the link?)

I played a little with changing uuids but i dont really had success because I dont know in which file i have to change the uuid in armbian for tv boxes. If someone has a hint or solution I would be very happy and maybe it is a good solution for others too when the emmc can be left untouched.

My hardware is A5X max. 

Hi,

I apologize before hand if my question is stupid. I have been trying to get armbian to run on my H96 max rk3318 64GB tv box. I followed the instructions - downloaded the latest image from the link in the first post in this topic, used etcher to burn the image on my microSD card, put it in and turned on the power. Unfortunately, nothing happens.

I took it apart, and plugged into the serial console to see what was happening. Below is the uart output. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Thank you so much

DDR version 1.15 20190428
ID:0xFFF
In
DDR3
333MHz
Bus Width=32 Col=11 Bank=8 Row=16 CS=1 Die Bus-Width=16 Size=4096MB
ddrconfig:3
OUT
Boot1 Release Time: Sep  7 2018 15:49:55, version: 2.49
ChipType = 0x11, 194
mmc2:cmd19,100
SdmmcInit=2 0
BootCapSize=2000
UserCapSize=59640MB
FwPartOffset=2000 , 2000
mmc0:cmd5,20
SdmmcInit=0 0
BootCapSize=0
UserCapSize=30436MB
FwPartOffset=2000 , 0
StorageInit ok = 192196
Raw SecureMode = 0
SecureInit read PBA: 0x4
SecureInit read PBA: 0x404
SecureInit read PBA: 0x804
SecureInit read PBA: 0xc04
SecureInit read PBA: 0x1004
SecureInit ret = 0, SecureMode = 0
GPT 0x337a9e0 signature is wrong
LoadTrust Addr:0x4000
No find bl30.bin
No find bl32.bin
Load uboot, ReadLba = 2000
Load OK, addr=0x200000, size=0xa3cb8
RunBL31 0x10000
NOTICE:  BL31: v1.3(debug):f947c7e
NOTICE:  BL31: Built : 12:09:31, Aug 30 2018
NOTICE:  BL31:Rockchip release version: v1.3
INFO:    ARM GICv2 driver initialized
INFO:    Using rkfiq sec cpu_context!
INFO:    boot cpu mask: 1

15 minutes ago, serat said:

I have been trying to get armbian to run on my H96 max rk3318 64GB tv box. I followed the instructions

Did you also follow these instructions?

To select the desired dtb, you need to change the line in the text file "/extlinux/extlinux.conf". In the line "FDT" you need to change the name of the file that the system will use at startup. The list of available files (names to specify in the configuration) can be found in the "dtb"directory. If you do not know exactly what file you need , you can enter all available names in turn and check the operation of the system.

3 minutes ago, NicoD said:

Did you also follow these instructions?

Yes. I tried with several dtbs.

I don't know what the typical boot up (uboot?) output is supposed to be. But the serial output didnt look like the bootup reached the stage of getting the dtb or loading the kernel.