Armbian for TV box rk3328

balbes150

your are right with your assumption: it does not yet read the dtb or boot the kernel - it hangs in the early stages of uboot already. i'm not sure how well the rk3318 is already supported by the uboot used in the armbian image (or by mainline uboot at all). you might give libreelec a try to see if maybe an image there boots any further. if also that does not help, then you'll most probably have to wait until there is better support for your box in uboot.

best wishes - hexdump

4 hours ago, hexdump said:

your are right with your assumption: it does not yet read the dtb or boot the kernel - it hangs in the early stages of uboot already. i'm not sure how well the rk3318 is already supported by the uboot used in the armbian image (or by mainline uboot at all). you might give libreelec a try to see if maybe an image there boots any further. if also that does not help, then you'll most probably have to wait until there is better support for your box in uboot.

best wishes - hexdump

Thanks, I'll try libreelec and post back. 

UPDATED: Tried two libreelec images for the rk3328. Neither of them work and they both hang at the exact same point as armbian. 

On 6/7/2019 at 9:33 AM, sekarpdkt said:

It works. I need to use both USB and micro SD card method. Already installed it on emmc. I ordered this one

https://www.banggood.in/H96-MAX-RK3318-4GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-5G-WIFI-bluetooth-4_0-Android-9_0-4K-VP9-H_265-TV-Box-p-1471898.html?rmmds=myorder&ID=533601&cur_warehouse=CN

Hi.

I am trying to get armbian up and running on the same tv box (except mine has 64GB emmc). I cannot seem to boot. Serial console stops pretty quickly. @hexdump suggested that the uboot does not work with rk3318.

I am a newbie and could really use some help. Can you please elaborate on what you mean by both USB and microSD card method? 

Thank you so much.

On 8/30/2018 at 10:58 PM, balbes150 said:

A test version of the image Armbian for TV boxes on the basis of RK3328. Tested on MVR9

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/rockchip-based-tv-players/rk3328-devices/653167-bqeel-mvr9-rk3328-quad-core-64bit-cortex-a53-android-7-2-16gb-2-4ghz-wifi-bt4

All basic functions work. For running. Download. Unpack. To record on the SD card. Connect the SD card to TV box, connect a keyboard and mouse. To turn the power on the TV box. The system should start within 2-3 minutes. You must perform the initial configuration of Armbian.

https://yadi.sk/d/DSO6euzB3ahemo

https://mega.nz/#F!zoZywCTQ!9sNfXIAB3m_DyLl5I8P94w

The system of choosing the correct dtb has changed.

Please note, now it should be done on a different principle (files do not need to be copied).

To select the desired dtb, you need to change the line in the text file "/extlinux/extlinux.conf". In the line "FDT" you need to change the name of the file that the system will use at startup. The list of available files (names to specify in the configuration) can be found in the "dtb"directory. If you do not know exactly what file you need , you can enter all available names in turn and check the operation of the system. In accordance with this, the system installation script in eMMC has been changed. The steps to install the system on the eMMC remain the same.

Added a utility to full backup and restore the entire eMMC "ddbr". Checked mode the backup MVR9. Now if you try to check the recovery mode.

The order of installation in eMMC.

1. Download, unzip and burn the image to SD card.

2. Start Armbian on the TV box and perform the initial setup of the system.

3. If the system works correctly and you are satisfied, run the utility "ddbr" and create a full backup of eMMC (this is a prerequisite).

4. Rename the file "/boot/mvr9-uboot.img" in "/boot/uboot.img".

5. Run as user "root" script "/boot/create-mbr-linux.sh"

6. To run the script "/root/install.sh"

Pay attention to the correct operation of the installation procedure need to comply strictly with the order of the steps.

Thanks balbes150 .Your img  is wonderful .

I have successed in boot up with SD card. If I want to installation in eMMC,I must  create a full backup of eMMC,right? I have a H96 max + box(RK3328+4/64GB+HS2734C) and the eMMC is too large. Can I just overwrite the emmc without backup ? The Android img for my box can be download from the internet. In fact I have tried just overwrite, not success.

BTW does anyone has the same box  have made Wifi works? My ratio is HS2734C.  I am a newer in this os but have some experience in other linux , can you tell me how can I make the wifi work.

Thanks.

OK, the box has a strange dev , when I fdisk -l on my box I got emmc2,and emmc0,not emmc1 and emmc0, so I changed the create-mbr-linux.sh and install.sh, it works. And the only problem is wifi, I'm tring to get it from the android img. 

booting with usb and mmc does not make sense, as the boot does not get far enough that this would matter - looking at a normal rk3328 boot log like https://github.com/Kwiboo/linux-rockchip/issues/14#issuecomment-308640444 it looks like the boot is failing even before loding the real u-boot - there is no real chance to get this working until someone adds support for this hardware to atf/u-boot i guess

can you please put up the serial boot log when booting android on this box to pastebin.com and link it here or attach the boot log here?

best wishes - hexdump

2 hours ago, hexdump said:

booting with usb and mmc does not make sense, as the boot does not get far enough that this would matter - looking at a normal rk3328 boot log like https://github.com/Kwiboo/linux-rockchip/issues/14#issuecomment-308640444 it looks like the boot is failing even before loding the real u-boot - there is no real chance to get this working until someone adds support for this hardware to atf/u-boot i guess

can you please put up the serial boot log when booting android on this box to pastebin.com and link it here or attach the boot log here?

best wishes - hexdump

Hi, I have attached the boot log when booting android on the rk3318 box.

uart_output_android.txt

you might try to get to the u-boot prompt by pressing a key around when it is as "Hit any key to stop autoboot: " (try it several times, as the timing for it might be very short), but the chance that this will work is very low as on any rockchip box i have seen so far the possible to interrupt had been disabled internally. if should get there, then there might be a chance to boot linux by hand initially.

best wishes - hexdump

OK, I think it is almost working , but I think I missed some details. I get the dtb file from an running Android os, and the wireless chip is ap6330, hs2734 is just a over layer on this chip. I have change the dtb for ubuntu . I found this chip has been supported by Armbian. which is brcmfmac-ap6330,right ? It is in the firmware. But still it is not work .Anyone knows if I miss something? Or make a mistake?

And here is my dts file.

Thank you.

rk3328test.dts

22 hours ago, hexdump said:

you might try to get to the u-boot prompt by pressing a key around when it is as "Hit any key to stop autoboot: " (try it several times, as the timing for it might be very short), but the chance that this will work is very low as on any rockchip box i have seen so far the possible to interrupt had been disabled internally. if should get there, then there might be a chance to boot linux by hand initially.

best wishes - hexdump

I tried to interrupt it the boot. Unfortunately, you are right, it cannot be interrupted. I guess I have no option but to wait :(

Thank you all the same for all the help.

-S

@luckowner - i must admit, that i did not yet get wireless working myself (it is lower on my priority list), so i'm maybe not of big help here. in general it is a good idea to check that the wireless section is similar to the one in the android dtb. also it is important, that the wireless chip is also supported properly by rockchip and/or mainline linux (the very common ssv6051 for instance is not). you might check at /sys/bus/sdio/devices if the card got detected on the sdio bus (maybe google for the hex id in case there is an entry there).

i think at some point wireless worked for me on the t9 with my first set of t9 dts (the ones based on other dtb files), but it did not when i tried to create a proper .dts files for the t9 for inclusion into the rockchip and mainline kernel trees to be built in there. here i did not yet succeed to get it working.

best wishes - hexdump

5 hours ago, hexdump said:

@luckowner - i must admit, that i did not yet get wireless working myself (it is lower on my priority list), so i'm maybe not of big help here. in general it is a good idea to check that the wireless section is similar to the one in the android dtb. also it is important, that the wireless chip is also supported properly by rockchip and/or mainline linux (the very common ssv6051 for instance is not). you might check at /sys/bus/sdio/devices if the card got detected on the sdio bus (maybe google for the hex id in case there is an entry there).

i think at some point wireless worked for me on the t9 with my first set of t9 dts (the ones based on other dtb files), but it did not when i tried to create a proper .dts files for the t9 for inclusion into the rockchip and mainline kernel trees to be built in there. here i did not yet succeed to get it working.

best wishes - hexdump

I find ap6330 is supported by this system and bin file has aldreay in the fireware. I just don't know how to make it work. Do I need to change some files ? Maybe some path?

I guess you have not read much of this thread, last5-6 pages would be good

t9.dtb for 4.4.x kernel seems OK, I have not tried any 5.x, slightly different dtb (guess)

Not on ups, 10d uptime,, H96max+, wifi dongle a bit unstable, needs powered hub, x11vnc

Oh, and if hub back-feeds (many do) must unplug for reboot or power off

For example, a 2 second power "blink", you will think box is dead, until you unplug hub power too

yes 5.x works as well with other dtbs (i posted some for t9 and mx10 a bit up), but to be on the safe side better stay with 4.4 for now - if you are familiar with linux and arm etc. you may try 5.x - for me on the t9 it runs a bit less stable (have to clock it up to 1.2ghz only) - might be related to memory timing, will have to look closer at it at some point in time ...

does anyone have armbian successfully running on a tv box with a rk3318 cpu? in theory one might guess, that it is very close to a rk3328 cpu (maybe like s905w to s905x for amlogic) - looking back in this thread i found the postings from @serat with a rk3318 box h96 max 4/64G which hangs in u-boot/atf. i now also got my hands on a 2/16G version of that box and it hangs too in u-boot/atf - it gets one line further than serat's at least :)

my serial output looks like:

Load uboot, ReadLba = 2000
Load OK, addr=0x200000, size=0xa3cb8
RunBL31 0x10000
NOTICE:  BL31: v1.3(debug):f947c7e
NOTICE:  BL31: Built : 12:09:31, Aug 30 2018
NOTICE:  BL31:Rockchip release version: v1.3
INFO:    ARM GICv2 driver initialized
INFO:    Using rkfiq sec cpu_context!
INFO:    boot cpu mask: 1
INFO:    plat_rockchip_pmu_init: pd status 0x

so looks like some debugging in atf and/or u-boot might be required ... does anyone already have an idea before i start experimenting?

update: i just discovered (again within this thread) that @sekarpdkt does successfully run armbian on the 4/32G version of this box ... i'm confused :) - @sekarpdkt - can you maybe post your u-boot output somewhere on a pastebin or similar and link it here in case you have a serial console connected to your box?

best wishes - hexdump

a short update on my rk3318 tv box (h96 max rk3318 2/16G) excursion

• in short: simply avoid those boxes
  • in detail: i tried to boot armbian rk3288 tv box & rock64 images, the original rock64 image and the libre ROC-RK3328-CC image - none of them worked ... then i tried to get into maskrom mode of the box, tried all the test points on the board but none worked, the heavy way of zeroing the emmc worked of course and i'm in mask rom mode now and can boot from sd card without any interference from the installed loader on emmc - i tried to boot the above mentioned images again: no way (with different error scenarios, but non of them really looking promising), i built atf and u-boot from sources too, but this failed as well - some other experiments failed too - all in all i do not see any way right now to get linux booted in an easy way on it ... besides that the rk3318 hardware seems to be way lower speced than rk3328: on android the cpu frequency scaling only went up to 1.1ghz and there seemed to be only two mali pp cores enabled (just like on the rk3328) - so no gain at all of the rk3318 over the rk3328 - in the end better stick to rk3328 boxes instead trying your luck with rk3318 ones ...

best wishes - hexdump

01_dtbdump_rockchip,rk3328-evb.dts

On 9/12/2019 at 3:39 PM, balbes150 said:

New image 5.96 20190911

Hi

I have been working for a while in order to get wifi working on my H96+.From the Android dts the wifi chip is ap6330. And it has a strange silk screen . I see that this driver is included in the firmware. But I still can't make it work.Should I change some settings in dts? Or I need to recompile the entire firmware? I have read some of the contents of Rockchip's official website. Can you tell me how to build my own firmware?And the dts file is here.

Hi

I got a RK3328 A5X Max with 4GB +32GB +2.4G Wifi +100M +BT 4.X. It's running Andoird 9.0.

a5x_max_box.png

PCB label:MXQ-RK3328-D4_A
          VER:2.0 DATE:20181219
firmware Ver.:A5XMAX.p2.0.01.d4_1.0.2
Kernel version:4.4.159
Build:rk33x8_box-userdebug 9 PQ2A.1.0.25.003 eng.foxluo.20190711.143036 test-keys

a5x_max_board01.png

a5x_max_board02.png

a5x_max_about.png

I flashed Armbian_5.91_Rk3328-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.154_desktop_20190726.img | Armbian_5.76_Rk3328-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.154_desktop_20190306.img to a SDCard. FDT set to rk3328-a5x.dtb | rk3328-evb.dtb. All can't boot from SDCard.
I flash with etcher on mac, flash with rufus on windows, also unlacky. 

After link Serial Console to the box I got some boot log.  how can I do next? 

boot_compare.jpeg

Thanks!

serial_boot_emmc_log.txt

serial_boot_sdcard_log.txt

device-tree-copy.tar.gz

UPDATE:

Checked the eMMC boot Console log, soc is rk3318, and it is not supported yet. 

soc_rk3318.png

On 9/1/2019 at 8:55 PM, hexdump said:

yes 5.x works as well with other dtbs (i posted some for t9 and mx10 a bit up), but to be on the safe side better stay with 4.4 for now - if you are familiar with linux and arm etc. you may try 5.x - for me on the t9 it runs a bit less stable (have to clock it up to 1.2ghz only) - might be related to memory timing, will have to look closer at it at some point in time ...

Hi Hexdump,

I installed balbes150's newest 4.4.154 image with your T9 dtb on my T9 box. it work very well including bluetooth^-^. I have a usb webcam from Fitipower integrated technoloy inc which works OK on my ubuntu 19.4 AMD computer, but it cannot work on T9. Using lsusb, it show this USB device with ID 18e3:5031, but there is no /dev/video(x) existing. Do I need to update the kernel to 5.x to fix this problem or modify dtb file on 4.4.154 kernel? thanks!

1 hour ago, hexdump said:

i guess that the drivers for the cam are maybe not part of the default armbian kernel - so you might have to compile your own kernel with them included.

good luck and best wishes - hexdump

Hi hexdump,

yesterday I tried the dev version 4.4.192, the camera worked, but there is no wifi and bt. can you make a new t9 dtb file for this kernel for us, Thanks.

i'll have a look, but it might take a while ... i'm actually a bit surprised, that it does not work anymore as i do not really expect a lot of changes in this rockchip linux 4.4 tree affecting the dtbs ... maybe double check, that the new kernel has all the required kernel modules the old working one had

As there seems to have been a bunch of attempts to fix the T9 boxes, the two solutions I've seen in this thread have either targetted the linux mainline or just been hacked up decompiled dtbs. So what I've tried to do is create a patch against the rockchip-linux fork of the kernel, and modifies one of the existing dts files so it's not full of magic numbers that should be symbols. From the dtb this built, I've copied it onto one of these tvboxes, and the sdmmc port works. From there I've been able to install to emmc. As I just wanted this headless, none of the fancy hardware has been tested.

So enough waffling, commit on github at https://github.com/DaveRichmond/rockchip-kernel/commit/974c59c7cdb765fe097737d1f0d57f0681b6be44 and available as a patch via https://github.com/DaveRichmond/rockchip-kernel/commit/974c59c7cdb765fe097737d1f0d57f0681b6be44.patch

If that can be merged into the kernel fork that the images are built from (sorry, having trouble tracking that specific down), then it should build automatically along with the images and have some level of maintainability. Hope this helps someone!

New version 5.98_20191017 system with support to run from USB to rk3328. Details about using USB can be seen in this topic. The launch system from USB is tested on MVR9, support is in Armbian and Libreelec systems.