Armbian for TV box rk3328

balbes150

I tried to install Armbian on X88 pro (Quad-Core Cortex-A53 RK3318) but it doesn't boot.
I tried:

- Armbian_5.98_Rock64_Debian_buster_default_4.4.192_desktop.img

- Armbian_5.76_Rk3328-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.154_desktop_20190306.img

You can help me. Thanks

I bought a "Vontar T9" on aliexpress. It says : Rockchip Quad-Core 64bit Cortex-A53.

I got the 64G/4G one, which I though would really rock;)

I burned Armbian_5.98_Rk3328-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.154_desktop_20191923.img to an SD.

I copied the rk3328-T9.dtb file from hexdump to the /dtb/rockchip directory.

I changed extlinux/extlinux.conf to use the rk3328-T9.dtb.

I insert the sd card and power the box, and then …… Nothing happens.

not even a single message on my screen. :( 

Did I do Something wrong or is my "vontar T9" not an RK3328?

In first escuse me ...

I crash my old RK3328 and i buy a new used one in ebay.

I receive it this day, and i test : Armbian_5.98_Rk3328-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.154_desktop_20191923.img.xz

i try all the dtb (editing the /extlinux/extlinux.conf and change the line FDT ) without sucess

I try LE img with same result.

So i open this box ( H96 Max NOT H96 MAX + ) with android 7.1.2 with 4g Ram32 Flash

The motherboard is : mxq_rk3328_d4 v1.3 20180306

BUT i see the memory chipset is K4B4G0446Q-HYK0 so its DRAM Chip DDR3L SDRAM 4Gbit  so it's not DDR4.

I don't connect serial cable to the motherboard now, but in your opinion ?

RK3328_H96_MAX.jpg

I find another user (armm ) have this trouble : ( https://forum.armbian.com/topic/8082-armbian-for-tv-box-rk3328/page/15/ )

"i have an MXR PRO 4gb 32gb emmc (gearbest link) and this box doesn't boot from SD (i tried all the tips given but no way),

the solution to install armbian on this box is to write it directly to the emmc,"

It seems the same motherboard ..

I don't find the UART serial port, could someone have find it ? in this case i can make the boot log to check the trouble ...

The exact model is : H96 MAX H2 Colorful Edition and i think the Boot version: 2.44

i find the last firmware here : http://blog.geekbuying.com/2018/07/h96-max-h2-colorful-edition-4gb64gb-tv-box-firmware-update-20180620/

so i download it and i try to check the uboot inside the file ...

FYI: I have created https://github.com/easybe/linux-rockchip/blob/h96mp/arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3328-box-h96mp.dts (rk3328-box-h96mp.dtb) based on @DaveRichmond's work https://github.com/DaveRichmond/rockchip-kernel/commit/974c59c7cdb765fe097737d1f0d57f0681b6be44.

It is not perfect (yet) but so far works for me and my H96 Max Plus RK3328 box. I do not know if my additions (e.g. IR and LED support) also apply to the T9 box which's device tree file I used as a basis...

Thank's a lot !

but i think H96 Max+ (it have Android 8.1 PCB:8D4 ) and H96 MAX (it have Android 7.1.2 PCB:D4  ) is not the same motherboard :

H96 MAX PLUS = PCB is labelled as "RK3328_8D4_V1.1"

h96-4.jpg

other Firts Model have mxq_rk3328_D4_A  ( i find some MX10,MXR Pro ... )

fetch?id=713716&d=1520698285

mxq_rk3328_D4_B V1.1 ( A5X MAX, ...)

A5X_MAX18.jpg

H96 MAX PCB is labelled :

h1=mxq_rk3328_D4 v1.1 ,

H96_MAX-H1_TV_Box_Review18.jpg

h2=mxq_rk3328_D4 v1.2

fetch?id=735269&d=1531413258

or last version h3=mxq_rk3328_D4 v1.3 (my picture )

But i will try this dts quickly

Of course nobody speak of this hardware version ( V1.3 ) and the uart TTL pinout is not easy to find ...

I think it's the 3 point , but very hard to sold

The other solution is to flash emmc firectly with maskrom mode ...

H96_MAX_H3_TTL.png

H96_MAX_H3_maskrom.png

@easyb hey thank you for your work, i have the same box and i hope to run this dts especially for IR remote support,I use the Libre Elec kernel 4 image hosted by @balbes150,

i put your dts file in dtb folder, and i have edited the extlinux.conf to run this dts. Result black screen. With the hexdump dtb LibreElec is stared ok.

I have tried the conversion from dts to dtb but i not have success.  Libre Elec want only the dtb format? Or you think Libre Elec doesn't start because there is an other error?

24 minutes ago, Digit97 said:

@easyb hey thank you for your work, i have the same box and i hope to run this dts especially for IR remote support,I use the Libre Elec kernel 4 image hosted by @balbes150,

i put your dts file in dtb folder, and i have edited the extlinux.conf to run this dts. Result black screen. With the hexdump dtb LibreElec is stared ok.

I have tried the conversion from dts to dtb but i not have success.  Libre Elec want only the dtb format? Or you think Libre Elec doesn't start because there is an other error?

The *.dts file needs to be compiled to a *.dtb first: rk3328-box-h96mp.dtb

To get the remote working with LE, this post should help you: https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/14148-h96-max-plus-rockchip-3328/?postID=129647#post129647

>I have tried the conversion from dts to dtb but i not have success. 

Try again,,,  dtc -h,, must be dtb,,, dts is only for editing/altering,,, kernel wants dtb

Let us know how it goes

Because of the symbolic names, if you don't have a compile environment it

probably won't work

57 minutes ago, wdtz said:

>I have tried the conversion from dts to dtb but i not have success. 

Try again,,,  dtc -h,, must be dtb,,, dts is only for editing/altering,,, kernel wants dtb

Let us know how it goes

Because of the symbolic names, if you don't have a compile environment it

probably won't work

I am afraid in this case it is a little more complicated. I build the *.dtb files as follows:

docker run -it --rm -v /path/to/source:/home/rk ymdymd/rockchip
$ mkdir ~/build
$ make -C ~/linux-rockchip O=~/build ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu- defconfig
$ make -C ~/linux-rockchip O=~/build ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu- dtbs

Thank you very much for support, but i am a very noob user, i don't know the prerequisites that i must have installed on ubuntu to complete my conversion.

I have followed this tutorial to convert https://stackoverflow.com/questions/21670967/how-to-compile-dts-linux-device-tree-source-files-to-dtb and other comands founded on web but i really don't know what i am doing.

i will try  use your dtb uploaded in last message, and will try also conversion, making conversion with my powers would make me more proud. And if i have learned a few more of those processes i can help other users like me.

Your dtb uploaded is complete and usable?

Anyway can anyone explain me how convert or/and compare linux dtb with android dtb with a little tutorial?            /sorry for my bad english/

Little OUT TOPIC

I wrote a small guide on Freaktab on how to restore a bricked h96 max + , I know it's a small thing but if it can be of help to someone let me know and i will  public here too.
I would like to do the same thing and create a tutorial to make Libre Elec usable on this device as much as possible and explain the process to noob users like me.

1 minute ago, Digit97 said:

Your dtb uploaded is complete and usable?

I am pretty happy with it, I have all the features I really need.

Though, for some reason HDMI-CEC does not seem to work, nor does Wi-Fi.

is perfect also for me with this functions, i have used your dtb, Libre Elec boot this time, but remain stucked on the Libre Elec Logo. Can you please explain why for your opinion?

I will try to reflash the img for boot using USB/SD combo. I will try also other img version of LE.

18 minutes ago, Digit97 said:

is perfect also for me with this functions, i have used your dtb, Libre Elec boot this time, but remain stucked on the Libre Elec Logo. Can you please explain why for your opinion?

I will try to reflash the img for boot using USB/SD combo. I will try also other img version of LE.

That seems pretty good to me. But, hard to tell what is going wrong without (serial) console output/dmesg. Maybe try the official image (http://releases.libreelec.tv/LibreELEC-RK3328.arm-9.1.502-box.img.gz), it is what I am using.

However, maybe we should take this to an LE related forum.

i used the official image, working boot and system working. Thank you.

With your dtb the light in box become blue at boot, good sign, with other dtb it didn't happen. But the IR remote not work.

Do I have to complete the process by following this guide linked by you? https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/14148-h96-max-plus-rockchip-3328/?postID=129647#post129647

8 minutes ago, Digit97 said:

i used the official image, working boot and system working. Thank you.

With your dtb the light in box become blue at boot, good sign, with other dtb it didn't happen. But the IR remote not work.

Do I have to complete the process by following this guide linked by you? https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/14148-h96-max-plus-rockchip-3328/?postID=129647#post129647

Yes, I was able to figure out to which GPIO the LED is connected :)

https://wiki.libreelec.tv/infrared_remotes

If you are still struggling, I'll be happy to answer more questions over in https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/14148-h96-max-plus-rockchip-3328/.

23 minutes ago, Digit97 said:

@easyb with your dtb wifi usb dongle don't work. Bluetooth usb dongle work.

@hexdump @easyb please fusion your dtb and make a very powerful beast. Your work is gold.

With which *.dtb and image did your Wi-Fi USB dongle work? As long as USB is working, I don't see how the *.dtb can make a difference. To me it sounds more like a driver issue or so.

Here the device tree extracted from Android: rk3328-box-avb.dtb 

I will use it to try to figure out if something is missing in "my" device tree file.

7 hours ago, wdtz said:

I am wondering what version of linux is this running under?

I am not familiar with libre-elect

LibreELEC is a custom built (minimal) distribution in this case either using the 4.4 kernel maintained by Rockchip or mainline linux.

Digit:  with a working and non-working situation,, compare

lsusb ,,, lsusb | wc -l  ,,,    dmesg | tail -15 (just after dongle inserted,, ie unplug, replug)

as root/sudo,,,   lsmod | grep ath  ,,, ifconfig

If it doesn't show with lsusb, check the other port,

for me, hexdump's dtb conflicts usb2 and debug, doesn't work,,

and usb3 locks hub on a daily basis, needs a replug, 3 different hubs

Haven't tried easyb's dtb yet

5 hours ago, Digit97 said:

@easyb in balbes150 LibreElec with latest HEXdump dtb ; wifi usb dongle works with my two usb wireless adapter

Alpha AWUS036NHA, 802.11 generic wireless adapter

If balbes150's LE with my *.dtb does not work, it would be interesting to see the boot log/output of `dmesg`. 

hello, maybe there had been an error flashing image of balbes150, now I try again and give you a final response about the situation using your dtb.

UPDATE

I confirm that using the LibreElec image of balbes150 4.x kernerl and your dtb, the system seems to boot but remains locked on the LibreElec logo.

UPDATE2

[wifi usb dongle work on balbes150 LibreElec image with hexdump dtb]

With official LibreElec image with hexdump dtb: wifi usb dongle don't work, so I think that drivers are missing on the official image.