Armbian for TV box rk3328

balbes150

Hello,

First things first, thank you for the armbian image for a5x max @balbes150 . Apart for the poorly implemented bluetooth, hardware wise because i don't believe it's a software issue there (it almost doesn't work under the android version that the box was shipped with ) , everything but the ir remote that i haven't tested at all, works great an smooth.

Since, i think this is by default, the kernel is missing joypad-gamepad drives, i tried to complile them myself with a good degree of success. I don't know how to get the exact sources for 5.98 version, so i compiled the latest armbian, only kernel and uboot and tried out that kernel image.
The box is booting and i am only getting some errors when i check the output of dmesg.

I have a request,

if possible, @balbes150 can you give me your .config file for a5x max so i may try to re-compile the kernel with with the correct configuration plus the extra module?

I might be missing something else in the whole procedure, so any thoughts or tips will be greatly appreciated :D

Thank you,

Stratos.

On 11/9/2019 at 4:14 PM, Stratos said:

can you give me your .config file for a5x max so i may try to re-compile the kernel with with the correct configuration plus the extra module?

These files are part of the image.

Hello,

I bought TV Box A95X Z2 - RK3318 from Aliexpress and tried running the latest armbian images from this topic. I tried using whole bunch of DTBs and none booted. I'll try to list and try all of them later but I have a bad feeling none will work.

Did anyone try and found the working armbian for that model? What else can I try to boot it up?

Thank you

On 11/10/2019 at 3:08 PM, balbes150 said:

These files are part of the image.

Hello,

i tried to compile the kernel, also from the tv-box branch and even tried the a5x max+ configuration (i know it's a different board but i was playing around and testing :) ) but with no luck.
With the limited knowledge that i have and from what it came to be, insufficient research, i wasn't able to build kernel that has complete support of the features that i need (wifi is always missing from my kernel and i have no idea how to patch and include the 8723cs drivers ). 

So i have a request, if possible @balbes150 can you include either with modules, or in kernel support the HID drivers for gamepads and joysticks?

It's would be nice to try the box as retropie machine, but if you haven't got the time (or the will :) ) forget about my request :D

Thank you for your time.
Stratos.

@easyb

good news, I managed to make your dtb work with the @balbes150 LE image so that we also have support for usb wifi dongle, which as I said in the past the usb wifi dongle doesn't work on the official generic image, I'll link you a clearer one explanation as soon as I approve the post on freaktab.

The only problem: does not work the LibreElec repository (it is a problem of the image 9.1 of balbes150), I had to use a 9.1 image of balbes150 because your dtb only works with 9.1 LE, if you could to update your dtb to make it compatible with Libre elec 9.80 kernel 4 we would have a Libre Elec practically perfect and updated. I really hope you can do it, my regards, Digit

Update Armbian images 5.99_20191121 to rk3328.
DEFAULT - kernel 4.
DEV - kernel 5.
Please note, in the future I plan to completely switch to using kernel 5 for all images. The kernel 4 version will no longer be released.

@easyb your dtb now work with 9.80 LE image kernel 4 by balbes.

Now we have working IR remote, power led indicator, usb bluetooth dongle ,usb wifi dongle and other fuctions on our h96 max+.

For interested peoples check my tutorial on freaktab  for complete and working install LE on h96 max+ .  <-----> coming soon...

need testers for CEC and other functions that i not use and i have not tested.

16 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Update Armbian images 5.99_20191121 to rk3328.
DEFAULT - kernel 4.
DEV - kernel 5.
Please note, in the future I plan to completely switch to using kernel 5 for all images. The kernel 4 version will no longer be released.

It's a good news. ^-^

11 hours ago, DigitalDaz said:

@Digit97 Where is the dtb for the H96 Max+ please, that's exactly the board I'm playing with.

check previus messages on this thread and you can found dtb files.

Check my tutorial for easy installation of LibreElec on h96 max+, I've made a custom image:

https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/rockchip-based-tv-players/rk3328-devices/790385-step-by-step-tutorial-libre-elec-on-h96-max-also-ir-remote-support

On 11/3/2019 at 12:15 PM, martos said:

Of course nobody speak of this hardware version ( V1.3 ) and the uart TTL pinout is not easy to find ...

I think it's the 3 point , but very hard to sold

The other solution is to flash emmc firectly with maskrom mode ...

H96_MAX_H3_TTL.png

H96_MAX_H3_maskrom.png

In first, I am here learning from you. Thanks. This is my first message.

Then, I am quoting you because I have the same board and the same problem trying to boot from SD or USB. My version is 4/64GB but the board is the same.

Did you try flashing emmc? Could you attach dtb, MiniLoaderAll.bin and armbian img you used?

Thanks again.

Edit-1: I did it. From maskrom 2 flashes were needed. Thanks 

Edited by VoidOPv
More info

On 11/18/2019 at 9:16 PM, sivark said:

Could anyone help me to have the best dtb for A5X MAX...? Thanks :-)

It depends :)

I used balbes150 image and it works out of the box. i didn't install it in the internal flash but just following the standard procedure for armbian, it runs.

If that is your only problem, just write the image to an SD card (i couldn't manage to run it from USB but because i don't care about that i didn't give it a second thought) and then just boot it. 5.98 and 5.99 images that i tried, worked. The standard images, i didn't try any dev images. I didn't even change the dtb for them to boot. I don't know if it makes any difference.

A side note, i managed to build the kernel and a complete image with gamepad support, so once more, Thank you @balbes150 for providing your github with the sources and modifications. :D

11 hours ago, Stratos said:

It depends :)

I used balbes150 image and it works out of the box. i didn't install it in the internal flash but just following the standard procedure for armbian, it runs.

If that is your only problem, just write the image to an SD card (i couldn't manage to run it from USB but because i don't care about that i didn't give it a second thought) and then just boot it. 5.98 and 5.99 images that i tried, worked. The standard images, i didn't try any dev images. I didn't even change the dtb for them to boot. I don't know if it makes any difference.

A side note, i managed to build the kernel and a complete image with gamepad support, so once more, Thank you @balbes150 for providing your github with the sources and modifications. :D

Thanks @Stratos.

Yes @balbes150 has done a tremendous job because of him, my A5X-MAX got new lease of life because of him. I am able to boot from sdcard with 5.99+4.4 (Used old A5X-MAX1500 dtb provided by @balbes150) I have also successfully installed it to emmc. But with 5.99+5.3 i am unable to boot even from sdcard, any help is much appreciated.

Are you saying that there is no resource.img? You do know that the dtb is 2K into resource.img (IIRR)? use dd to strip

Sometimes the dtb is appended to the kernel,,, anyway search, with a hexeditor for D0 0D FE ED 00, at an even K boundry

d00dfeed00 it the "signature" for dtb's.  Most dtbs are about 60-65K in size

Most of the resource.img is an (graphic) image file (or 2) for the splash screen

I haven't found android dtbs to be very  useful

And, BTW how well does easyb's dtb work for you,, does everything work, both usb, ethernet?

I have 46d uptime, I seldom reboot

A new designation of the version number for Armbian.
The current version Legacy kernel 4.4 is 19.11.3 (20191126).
All previous images are moved to the OLD directory.
For the starter kit, I expanded the list of available images.

Stretch
Buster
Xenial
Bionic
Disco
Eoan

Updated content link for MEGA site. All old images removed, left version only 19.11.3

Pay attention. In the near future, I plan to combine topics on rk3328 and rk3399. Images for these platforms are now collected from the same source. The difference is only in the used u-boot (which is easy to add for the desired platform) and in the settings in the file " extlinux.conf" (enough to uncomment the desired option).

On 11/27/2019 at 2:16 AM, wdtz said:

Are you saying that there is no resource.img? You do know that the dtb is 2K into resource.img (IIRR)? use dd to strip

Sometimes the dtb is appended to the kernel,,, anyway search, with a hexeditor for D0 0D FE ED 00, at an even K boundry

d00dfeed00 it the "signature" for dtb's.  Most dtbs are about 60-65K in size

Most of the resource.img is an (graphic) image file (or 2) for the splash screen

I haven't found android dtbs to be very  useful

And, BTW how well does easyb's dtb work for you,, does everything work, both usb, ethernet?

I have 46d uptime, I seldom reboot

On android 8 I found the dtb in resource.img
On android 9 I can't find the file resource.img

The original ROM of h96 max + is bad, I found a good one but it is for another device having the rk3328 chip.
I need an android dtb of h96 max + to works the onboard wifi and onboard bluettoth on this rom.
I managed to reassemble the rom with the dtb of my h96 max + the rom starts up and works but they don't work onboard wifi and onboard bluetooth, I'll try other solutions.

The easyb dtb works well with powerled indicator, ethernet, usb wifi, usb bluetooth, hdmi sound,

CEC: not tested, the video is not very good. I will confirm if the video is better with other dtbs