Armbian for TV box rk3328

balbes150

On 3/21/2019 at 4:49 PM, balbes150 said:

I feel like in normal mini PC mode, RK3399 is faster than s912. IMHO the Real price for normal RK3399 will be around 90-130. If you have the ability, and you are not only a regular user, but also carries out the development (you version of the kernel or u-boot, etc.), I would recommend the option Khadas EDGE-V. This device can be ordered immediately with a good cooling system (radiator+ fan) and the case. In addition, EDGE-V has a number of important features that do not have TV boxes and that significantly help in the development and any experiments with the device.

Thanks for the recommendation. I am in no way a developer, just an interested tester and tinkerer. It just blows my mind that you can make a full blown desktop suitable for everyday use out of these cheap commodity TV boxes.

Based on your glowing reports on the RK3399 I have sprung for a Magicsee N6 Max (~$82 on sale Aliexpress). I'll report on my adventures with it once it arrives :)

4 hours ago, wdmomo said:

Thanks for the images you provided, my box can be launched. But Ethernet is not working properly. I'm a Linux novice, copying DTB files from Android and referring to modifications, but it doesn't work. By the way, my box doesn't have a wireless network.
Can someone help me?
This is my box chip model.

Have you checked all available DTBS in the image ?

Yes, I tried all the dtb files of rk3328, now again.I don't know what the problem is.

rk3328-a5x.dtb			no eth0
rk3328-a5x-1500.dtb		no eth0
rk3328-a5x-mx10.dtb		no eth0
rk3328-box.dtb			no eth0
rk3328-box-liantong.dtb		system not start
rk3328-box-trn9.dtb		no inet
rk3328-box-trn9-1500.dtb	no inet
rk3328-box-z28.dtb		no eth0
rk3328-evb.dtb			no eth0
rk3328-evb-100m.dtb		no eth0
rk3328-evb-android.dtb		system not start
rk3328-mx10.dtb			no eth0
rk3328-mx10-fast.dtb		no eth0
rk3328-mx10-low.dtb		no eth0
rk3328-roc-cc.dtb		no inet
rk3328-rock64.dtb		no eth0
rk3328-rock64-android.dtb	no inet
rk3328-rockbox.dtb		no eth0
rk3328-t9-android.dtb		system not start

no eth0 like this

noeth0.jpg.37aec3bf05981d9efdb891217c90f6d9.jpg

no inet like this

noinet.jpg.65e8f369b85a465176b60f5ca5232c7d.jpg

noinet-2.jpg.80a0313c8e24c044b60688bcf66e3b4e.jpg

10 hours ago, wdmomo said:

Thanks for the images you provided, my box can be launched. But Ethernet is not working properly. I'm a Linux novice, copying DTB files from Android and referring to modifications, but it doesn't work. By the way, my box doesn't have a wireless network.
Can someone help me?
This is my box chip model.

What is the exact model of the TV box ?

Where is the cable connected (to which router) ? Judging by the log, requests are sent, but there is no response from the DHCP server (router).

36 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

What is the exact model of the TV box ?

Where is the cable connected (to which router) ? Judging by the log, requests are sent, but there is no response from the DHCP server (router).

The box is this:http://www.meibeike.com/

It has Gigabit and four usb 3.0,I want to use it to run linux as nas.

The router is ok,My other devices are working fine.Android system including this box

I assigned a static ip but still can't work properly.

12.jpg

Perhaps your device uses its own settings to manage the wired network in DTB. You will have to analyze the parameters in DTS from Android and compare them with the options in DTS Linux and build your DTB based on the differences.

33 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

Perhaps your device uses its own settings to manage the wired network in DTB. You will have to analyze the parameters in DTS from Android and compare them with the options in DTS Linux and build your DTB based on the differences.

Thank you for your reply, it is more difficult for me, but I will try.

5 hours ago, wdmomo said:

Are you sure you have set the gateway IP and all other parameters correctly¿ On your screenshot the OS sees RX and TX packets, so it is possible it is not related with the DTS but with network config.

6 hours ago, wdmomo said:

Try the dtb for boxes with GigE. I know that the a5x and mx10 don't have  gigE, and the box-trn9 does.

What do you mean by "no inet" vs "no eth0" in your table?

Are you using nmtui to configure your network? Check your DNS servers. The last screenshot looks promising. Can you ping the router?

On 4/2/2019 at 3:32 AM, madmalkav said:

Are you sure you have set the gateway IP and all other parameters correctly¿ On your screenshot the OS sees RX and TX packets, so it is possible it is not related with the DTS but with network config.

I'm still trying, and I'm not too good at that. I looked at the problems @raksan had had before, very similar, and hoped he would reply.

On 4/2/2019 at 4:35 AM, armar said:

Try the dtb for boxes with GigE. I know that the a5x and mx10 don't have  gigE, and the box-trn9 does.

What do you mean by "no inet" vs "no eth0" in your table?

Are you using nmtui to configure your network? Check your DNS servers. The last screenshot looks promising. Can you ping the router?

I can't ping the router, only ping the IP address set by this machine.

I tried all the rk3328 dtb. Some files can't find eth0 after system start, so I marked no eth0.

The "no inet"  is unable to get an IP address after the system starts, or to get an address similar to 169.254.XXX.XXX, but not work.

On 4/2/2019 at 6:32 AM, amirul said:

maybe @raksan has the answer?

On 4/3/2019 at 8:33 AM, wdmomo said:

Thanks for the information you provided, my question looks very similar to his. I've already sent him a message, and now I'm waiting for his reply.

I'm sorry for late response. Well, in my case, I have switched the status entry (disable, okay) of ethernet@ff540000 and ethernet@ff550000 of the DTB I based on (rk3328-evb.dtb).

On 2/15/2019 at 3:31 AM, rmoriz said:

Hi,

got a H96 Max+ with 4GB and 64GB eMMC today (https://www.banggood.com/H96-Max-Plus-RK3328-4GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Android-8_1-USB3_0-5G-WIFI-TV-Box-Support-HD-Netflix-4K-Youtube-p-1335810.html?ID=533601).  It's booting Android 8.1 with a kernel 4.4.120, build date 2018-12-18.

I opened it using a GB-5A opening tool. Attached are some pictures.

1. PCB is labelled as "RK3328_8D4_V1.1" with date "20180703"

2 .Wifi/BT chip seems to be:

HS2734A
V15628
98MA

3. eMMC seems to be Samsung:

SEC525
B031
(unreadable due to QA marks)

I flashed Armbian_5.68_Rk3328-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.154_20190110.img from your mega account to an microSD card. 

Tried all rk3328 FDTs in extlinux.conf 

# Result: LABEL=ROOTFS does not exists + drop to busybox
rk3328-box-trn9.dtb 
rk3328-box-z28.dtb
rk3328-box.dtb
rk3328-evb-100m.dtb 
rk3328-evb.dtb
rk3328-mx10.dtb
rk3328-roc-cc.dtb 
rk3328-rock64-android.dtb 
rk3328-rock64.dtb                            
rk3328-rockbox.dtb  

# Result: black screen/crash?
rk3328-box-liantong.dtb
rk3328-evb-android.dtb   
rk3328-t9-android.dtb

Thanks

Roland

h96-1.jpg

h96-2.jpg

h96-3.jpg

h96-4.jpg

I also had same issue. As suggested by @balbes150, I created one more USB flash with same image. It worked. Also installed in EMMC as my primary aim is to use it for linux. WiFi and BT not working, but not much of an issue. I did a ddbr back up.

On 4/3/2019 at 9:33 AM, wdmomo said:

Thanks for the information you provided, my question looks very similar to his. I've already sent him a message, and now I'm waiting for his reply.

I have the same device, same problem, but no solution yet. Here is my observation, hope it helps your investigation.

The device does not have RK805 PMU chip, it seems to be powered by some simple voltage regulators, unlike most other device (their dtb defined this PMU).

The eth0 when forced to 100Mbps mode and asign an IP address manually, use tcpdump listen on eth0, it can receive the ping package from other machine, but cannot send respond, so it appears to be ping failed to reach this Box. Likely the TX part of this device is not configured properly somehow.

There might be some pinctrl driver issue (not sure) related with GMAC pins, patches is floating around on kernel mail list, not sure how it will impact this device.

with this diff against rk3328-evb.dtb for the 4.4 rockchip kernel i got mmc, serial console and the usb2 port working for a t9 rk3328 box (4/32g) and i think the h96max+ is similar, so maybe it will work there too - the resulting rk3328-t9.dtb and .dts are attached as well. @balbes150 if it works for others too it might be worth to include it into future rk3328 tv box images maybe.

rk3328-t9-dtb.diff

rk3328-t9.dtb

rk3328-t9.dts

2 hours ago, hexdump said:

with this diff against rk3328-evb.dtb for the 4.4 rockchip kernel i got mmc, serial console and the usb2 port working for a t9 rk3328 box (4/32g) and i think the h96max+ is similar, so maybe it will work there too - the resulting rk3328-t9.dtb and .dts are attached as well. @balbes150 if it works for others too it might be worth to include it into future rk3328 tv box images maybe.

I'll check this file for inclusion in the kernel.

On 4/28/2019 at 10:10 AM, hexdump said:

rk3328-t9-dtb.diff

rk3328-t9.dtb

rk3328-t9.dts

Yeah... rk3328-t9.dtb provided by @hexdump works in Tv Box H96 Max+ (4/32), also works wi-fi, tested with v. 5.82.

Many thanks to all for your efforts. :thumbup:

my last t9 dtb was still missing some changes: the voltage regulator setup seems to be quite different between the evb and the t9 / h96max+ which also affected the cpu powering and as a result the voltage and frequency scaling was still not fully working and the box was only running at about 600mhz cpu clock max most of the time ... i have now reworked the t9 dtb even more - again based on the t9-andoid dtb - and cleaned up the regulator setup completely as i think ... now frequency scaling works well and the box should run at about twice the speed as before :) ... while i was at the opp tables and the voltages i also added disabled entries for 1.392 and 1.512 ghz cpu clock with useful values for this regulator setup - it works, but i did not do proper long stability tests with cpuburn and it does not make much sense at all anyway, as the box with the default cooling will heat up quickly and will be thermal throttled down to below even the default 1.296 ghz soon ...

based on the dtb source diff it should now even be possible to build a properly working dts source file for the kernel source tree based on the evb dts in there and maybe even a working dts/dtb for the mainline kernel might be possible with a bit of work ..

now the files - if you have a t9 or h96max+ (untested by me, but looks like it has the same hw setup - please let me know if it really works) box, you should definitely give this dtb a try ...

rk3328-t9-dtb.diff rk3328-t9.dtb rk3328-t9.dts

5 hours ago, hexdump said:

my last t9 dtb was still missing some changes: the voltage regulator setup seems to be quite different between the evb and the t9 / h96max+ which also affected the cpu powering and as a result the voltage and frequency scaling was still not fully working and the box was only running at about 600mhz cpu clock max most of the time ... i have now reworked the t9 dtb even more - again based on the t9-andoid dtb - and cleaned up the regulator setup completely as i think ... now frequency scaling works well and the box should run at about twice the speed as before :) ... while i was at the opp tables and the voltages i also added disabled entries for 1.392 and 1.512 ghz cpu clock with useful values for this regulator setup - it works, but i did not do proper long stability tests with cpuburn and it does not make much sense at all anyway, as the box with the default cooling will heat up quickly and will be thermal throttled down to below even the default 1.296 ghz soon ...

based on the dtb source diff it should now even be possible to build a properly working dts source file for the kernel source tree based on the evb dts in there and maybe even a working dts/dtb for the mainline kernel might be possible with a bit of work ..

now the files - if you have a t9 or h96max+ (untested by me, but looks like it has the same hw setup - please let me know if it really works) box, you should definitely give this dtb a try ...

rk3328-t9-dtb.diff 9.5 kB · 2 downloads rk3328-t9.dtb 68.62 kB · 2 downloads rk3328-t9.dts 81.7 kB · 2 downloads

Used your dtb with Armbian_5.82_Rk3328-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.154_desktop_20190427 on my T9 4/32. Everything except bluetooth works (no more sd/usb combo to boot). Yay, thanks :)

Desktop speed seems slightly slower that mx10-fast with temps in the 70's

About to enable the 1.3 and 1.5 ghz speeds and see what happens...

... boot unsuccessful kernel panic

hi @amirul, thanks for testing - i think the performance difference to the mx10 might be due to cheaper components maybe - i have now as a last round added the ddr memory timing from the t9-android dtb as well - not sure if it makes any significant difference ... it is interesting that the 1.4 and 1.5 ghz speeds do not work for you - on my box (t9 too) both work well (at least in normal usage), but the box heats up very fast then - maybe also different components used even within the same line of those boxes - with them everything is possible :)

latest t9 dtb with t9 android ddr memory timing:

rk3328-t9-dtb.diff rk3328-t9.dtb rk3328-t9.dts

4 hours ago, hexdump said:

hi @amirul, thanks for testing - i think the performance difference to the mx10 might be due to cheaper components maybe - i have now as a last round added the ddr memory timing from the t9-android dtb as well - not sure if it makes any significant difference ... it is interesting that the 1.4 and 1.5 ghz speeds do not work for you - on my box (t9 too) both work well (at least in normal usage), but the box heats up very fast then - maybe also different components used even within the same line of those boxes - with them everything is possible :)

latest t9 dtb with t9 android ddr memory timing:

rk3328-t9-dtb.diff 16.5 kB · 2 downloads rk3328-t9.dtb 68.62 kB · 2 downloads rk3328-t9.dts 81.69 kB · 2 downloads

Using the new dtbs, the desktop seems a bit more fluid (might just be confirmation bias :)).  Anyway, better memory timings can only be a good thing, yes?

Funny thing about the 1.5 speeds not working on my box. All I did was remove the status="disabled" lines in the dts and recompiled. I remember doing similar things to a A5X Max box and successfully booting. Maybe if I enabled the new speeds in this new dtb...

...nope, that didn't boot either :(

Edited by amirul
update

56 minutes ago, hexdump said:

@amirul - if you enabled both speeds at once, you might try to enable only the lower one - maybe this one still works, but the 1.5 ghz is too much for your box then ...

No joy with enabling only 1.3. I must have some really cheap & cheerful parts in my box :D

The dtb with android memory timings is going quite well though, stable so far :thumbup: