9 9
balbes150

Armbian for TV box rk3328

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, mmss said:

will buy a rk3328 box

The choice of model depends on what tasks you plan to solve on it. Computing capabilities S912 higher than rk3328. A positive feature for RK3328 is the presence of USB 3.0. But be careful with the choice of rk3328, many models use 100Mbps network.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, balbes150 said:

A positive feature for RK3328 is the presence of USB 3.0. But be careful with the choice of rk3328, many models use 100Mbps network.

I dont need a performance workhorse, but 4GB of Ram and USB 3.0 are fine :)
Yes the H96 MAX Plus I ordered has only 100MBit Ethernet - but I got good USB 3.0 Ethernet Dongles for GBit Ethernet :)
If I do receive it, I will test to boot an armbian version :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jeanrhum said:

Do you think your images may work on tv boxes with other rk soc, like rk3288?

I saw in the dtb folder of your images, that there is files for various rk soc. 

The image of RK3328-tv is arm64\aarch64 (64 bits). If I'm not confused, rk3288 is arm\armhf (32 bits). On arm64 the system can run the assembled arm, but on the contrary it is impossible.

 

9 hours ago, guidol said:

I dont need a performance workhorse, but 4GB of Ram and USB 3.0 are fine :)
Yes the H96 MAX Plus I ordered has only 100MBit Ethernet - but I got good USB 3.0 Ethernet Dongles for GBit Ethernet

The quality and performance of your chosen system will depend on the task. If you use only an external network module on USB 3.0, this is one thing, but if you try to connect an external USB storage device, it is not a fact (depending on the specific implementation on the selected device), but there may be a situation with a decrease in the overall performance, since both fast devices will use the same port (which will have to be expanded by external means).

By the way, you should also pay attention to the type of RAM memory. In some tasks, 2-3 GB of fast memory, work faster than 4 GB of slow memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, balbes150 said:

but there may be a situation with a decrease in the overall performance, since both fast devices will use the same port (which will have to be expanded by external means).

By the way, you should also pay attention to the type of RAM memory. In some tasks, 2-3 GB of fast memory, work faster than 4 GB of slow memory.

Yes - USB 3.0 port sharing will decrease performance like on the USB 2.0 ports of the Raspberry Pi ;(

The "H96 Max +" does "only" have DDR3 Ram (I know there are some boxes with DDR4), but my main PC also does use DDR3 - so it should be fast enough for me :)

H96_MAX_plus.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, balbes150 said:

The image of RK3328-tv is arm64\aarch64 (64 bits). If I'm not confused, rk3288 is arm\armhf (32 bits). On arm64 the system can run the assembled arm, but on the contrary it is impossible.

You are absolutely right, I didn't consider this obvious fact...

But it suppose it may be possible for rk3399 or rk3368. The main problem is probably about u-boot compatibility (especially for rk3368).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jeanrhum said:

You are absolutely right, I didn't consider this obvious fact...

But it suppose it may be possible for rk3399 or rk3368. The main problem is probably about u-boot compatibility (especially for rk3368).

I think on 3399 and 3368, when replacing the u-boot and properly setting the used dtb, start is possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new version 20180920.

Major change.

Kernel upgrade.

The system of choosing the correct dtb has changed.

Please note, now it should be done on a different principle (files do not need to be copied).

To select the desired dtb, you need to change the line in the text file "/extlinux/extlinux.conf". In the line "FDT" you need to change the name of the file that the system will use at startup. The list of available files (names to specify in the configuration) can be found in the "dtb"directory. If you do not know exactly what file you need , you can enter all available names in turn and check the operation of the system. In accordance with this, the system installation script in eMMC has been changed. The steps to install the system on the eMMC remain the same.

 

 

 

Changed the first message of the theme according to the new order of using dtb files.

 

Added download link to MEGA. Please note that the update of versions on MEGA is not as often as on yandex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I followed all the instructions but screen doesn't even turn on if the SD card is inserted. LED goes red. Changing DTB doesn't matter. What could be wrong? This is my device, 2/16gb version:

https://chinagadgetsreviews.com/download-android-nougat-7-1-2-stock-firmware-z28-tv-box.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bodefuceta said:

I followed all the instructions but screen doesn't even turn on if the SD card is inserted. LED goes red. Changing DTB doesn't matter. What could be wrong? This is my device, 2/16gb version:

https://chinagadgetsreviews.com/download-android-nougat-7-1-2-stock-firmware-z28-tv-box.html

If I'm not mistaken, the Z28 have problem with launching external systems. The SD card reader is not connected correctly. You can try to record to SD card option Libreelec and check on your TV box ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, balbes150 said:

If I'm not mistaken, the Z28 have problem with launching external systems. The SD card reader is not connected correctly. You can try to record to SD card option Libreelec and check on your TV box ?

I have tried using dd to the sd card:

LibreELEC-RK3328.arm-9.0-devel-20180920142120-905fd26-box-trn9.img

LibreELEC-RK3328.arm-9.0-devel-201807011300-d46baa3-box-z28.img

Still get no response when turning device on with SD inserted. Could this be caused by different DTB? This box is different from alphawise z28, but I have found the firmware from the manufacturer TOPLEO, would extracting the DTB from that make it work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bodefuceta said:

I have tried using dd to the sd card:

LibreELEC-RK3328.arm-9.0-devel-20180920142120-905fd26-box-trn9.img

LibreELEC-RK3328.arm-9.0-devel-201807011300-d46baa3-box-z28.img

Still get no response when turning device on with SD inserted. Could this be caused by different DTB? This box is different from alphawise z28, but I have found the firmware from the manufacturer TOPLEO, would extracting the DTB from that make it work? 

Do you have the ability to connect a UART console ? To understand what's going on, I need to see at what stage the startup process stopped.  By the way, you have the process of updating the firmware via USB cable, what steps do you take ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The version of the image 20180930 with support for full-screen video through MPV with HW. :)

To use MPV with HW, you must run these commands.

 

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ayufan/rock64-ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install ffmpeg mpv libmali-rk-utgard-450-r7p0-gbm

 

Rename the file in the home directory of the user ".config/mpv/mpv.conf.rkmpp"   to  ".config/mpv/mpv.conf"  

Reboot the system.

 

Please note that full-screen video with HW works only through MPV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got the H96 Max + (4GB/64GB) but I could not get Armbian to work (tried a few DTBs). The board does not seem to light up at all. with the SD card inserted.  Now I am waiting for my Rock 64 board to be delivered to me, probably in another one or two weeks. I will test again then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New version v5.60 20181004

 

 

 

 

 

On 9/24/2018 at 9:48 PM, bodefuceta said:

I have tried using dd to the sd card:

LibreELEC-RK3328.arm-9.0-devel-20180920142120-905fd26-box-trn9.img

LibreELEC-RK3328.arm-9.0-devel-201807011300-d46baa3-box-z28.img

Still get no response when turning device on with SD inserted. Could this be caused by different DTB? This box is different from alphawise z28, but I have found the firmware from the manufacturer TOPLEO, would extracting the DTB from that make it work?

Do you have firmware for your model via USB cable ? If so, you can try to erase the eMMC (using the software for the Rockchip USB cable) and check the run from SD card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2018 at 9:15 AM, Xiaofan said:

Just got the H96 Max + (4GB/64GB) but I could not get Armbian to work (tried a few DTBs). The board does not seem to light up at all. with the SD card inserted.  Now I am waiting for my Rock 64 board to be delivered to me, probably in another one or two weeks. I will test again then. 

 

Just a quick update, I got the Rock 64 2GB version, Armbian works greatly on it and I just plugged in an old WiFi dongle (TP-Link TL-WN727N and an IOGear Bluetooth dongle and both work fine as well. Now I need to go back to see if there is a way to get the H96 Max+ work with Armbian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Xiaofan said:

Just a quick update, I got the Rock 64 2GB version, Armbian works greatly on it and I just plugged in an old WiFi dongle (TP-Link TL-WN727N and an IOGear Bluetooth dongle and both work fine as well. Now I need to go back to see if there is a way to get the H96 Max+ work with Armbian.

What image did you use and what settings did you make ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, balbes150 said:

What image did you use and what settings did you make ?

I was using the Armbian_5.60_Rk3328-tv_Debian_stretch_dev_4.4.143_20180922 previously and I think I reported wrongly previously when I said that the box did not boot up -- the box booted up straightly to Android.

 

Today I use the Armbian_5.60_Rk3328-tv_Debian_stretch_default_4.4.143_20181004 image and it is the same. The board does not seem to access the SD card at all and boots to Android.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, the H96 Max+ box I have is rooted and I installed Termux and rooted package works fine (eg: libusb) and I can even build libftdi on the box using clang.  So technically I can change the files. Still I do not know if there is anything related to the boot sequence that I can change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2018 at 3:44 PM, balbes150 said:

I got the Rock 64 2GB version, Armbian works

What image did you use ?

 

20 hours ago, Xiaofan said:

The board does not seem to access the SD card at all and boots to Android. 

Can you connect a UART console to see the entire boot process ?

 

20 hours ago, Xiaofan said:

BTW, the H96 Max+ box I have is rooted and I installed Termux and rooted package works fine (eg: libusb) and I can even build libftdi on the box using clang.  So technically I can change the files. Still I do not know if there is anything related to the boot sequence that I can change. 

Do you have a firmware file, via USB cable for this model ? You can try using the RK tools to do a full eMMC dump and then erase the eMMC (without opening the case) and check the system startup from the SD card. If you erase the eMMC, it takes the system to start from external media and you can try to choose the option u-boot to run on this model of TV box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2018 at 1:58 PM, balbes150 said:

What image did you use ?

 --> Armbain image for Rock 64 (legacy 4.4.x kernel, Ubuntu Bionic and Debian Stretch). I will try your image as well.

https://www.armbian.com/rock64/

 

On 10/8/2018 at 1:58 PM, balbes150 said:

 

Can you connect a UART console to see the entire boot process ?

--> I will do this later. Right now I am a bit reluctant to open the box.

 

Do you have a firmware file, via USB cable for this model ? You can try using the RK tools to do a full eMMC dump and then erase the eMMC (without opening the case) and check the system startup from the SD card. If you erase the eMMC, it takes the system to start from external media and you can try to choose the option u-boot to run on this model of TV box.

--> I have ordered the USB cable and it will arrive probbaly in another month (buying together with some OrangePi boards and some other stuff).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2018 at 1:00 PM, balbes150 said:

Version 5.62 (20181008)

 

 

Libreelec was also updated to version 20181009. By the way, the principle of using dtb in LE is exactly the same as in Armbian.  :)

At one time there was a branch https://github.com/Kwiboo/LibreELEC.tv/releases, where Libreelec was developed for rk3328 on KODI 17.6, which worked steadily on the V88piano and there was not only hardware acceleration of the video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vic said:

At one time there was a branch https://github.com/Kwiboo/LibreELEC.tv/releases, where Libreelec was developed for rk3328 on KODI 17.6, which worked steadily on the V88piano and there was not only hardware acceleration of the video. 

My version uses its sources (plus my additional features for improvement). HW is working now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

My version uses its sources (plus my additional features for improvement). HW is working now.

I agree - your build is working. But on the box v88piano constantly crashes, the operating system on micro SD collapses. As a result, the system load stops with the message "kernel panic". It was checked on your (and not only your) builds of LibreElec and linux with different device trees - z28, Rock64, etc. Could you add support for the box v88piano to your builds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, vic said:

I agree - your build is working. But on the box v88piano constantly crashes, the operating system on micro SD collapses. As a result, the system load stops with the message "kernel panic". It was checked on your (and not only your) builds of LibreElec and linux with different device trees - z28, Rock64, etc. Could you add support for the box v88piano to your builds?

On all checks you used the same SD card or different ? If you can restore (in case of possible incompatibility or other problems) the firmware in the TV box, I would recommend checking the installation in the eMMC. Perhaps the problem is in the card reader, I have seen this on different models, one and the same SD card works perfectly on some models of TV boxes, and on others causes problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, balbes150 said:

On all checks you used the same SD card or different ? If you can restore (in case of possible incompatibility or other problems) the firmware in the TV box, I would recommend checking the installation in the eMMC. Perhaps the problem is in the card reader, I have seen this on different models, one and the same SD card works perfectly on some models of TV boxes, and on others causes problems.

1. I used several different microSD cards - the result is the same.
2. I am able to restore the firmware and did it, but it is extremely reluctant to do it again. Although I also suspect that the reason lies in the console card reader.
3. I know that you are working under Linux, but I hope that you will answer my question. On Amlogic tv-boxes, the system is transferred to the eMMC with the help of the "installtointernal" command. In TV boxes on PK3328, can the system be transferred from the microSD card in the same way?
Thank you for the answers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, vic said:

1. I used several different microSD cards - the result is the same.
2. I am able to restore the firmware and did it, but it is extremely reluctant to do it again. Although I also suspect that the reason lies in the console card reader.
3. I know that you are working under Linux, but I hope that you will answer my question. On Amlogic tv-boxes, the system is transferred to the eMMC with the help of the "installtointernal" command. In TV boxes on PK3328, can the system be transferred from the microSD card in the same way?
Thank you for the answers.

For verification (so as not to destroy eMMC), is it possible as a workaround? to perform a combined system start-up. Place the bootloader on the SD card and the rest of the system on the USB drive.

 

The installation script in rk3328-tv images uses the same principle as on Amlogic. The script replaces the bootloader, creates partitions, and then copies the system to the eMMC. I tested the installation in eMMC Armbian and Libreelec on MVR9. I have the installation goes smoothly and systems operate from eMMC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
9 9