Armbian for TV box rk3328

balbes150

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

For verification (so as not to destroy eMMC), is it possible as a workaround? to perform a combined system start-up. Place the bootloader on the SD card and the rest of the system on the USB drive.

If not difficult, tell me how to do it? Or share a link to the manual (highly desirable, in Russian). I am pleased to test your version.

On 9/30/2018 at 5:21 PM, balbes150 said:

The version of the image 20180930 with support for full-screen video through MPV with HW. :)

To use MPV with HW, you must run these commands.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ayufan/rock64-ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install ffmpeg mpv libmali-rk-utgard-450-r7p0-gbm

Rename the file in the home directory of the user ".config/mpv/mpv.conf.rkmpp"   to  ".config/mpv/mpv.conf"  

Reboot the system.

Please note that full-screen video with HW works only through MPV.

I pay attention, for the correct operation of MPV in HW mode on behalf of a normal user, it is necessary to have a file in the user's home directory ("~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf") with such content

vo=gpu

gpu-context=drm

hwdec=rkmpp

If for some reason there is no file (mpd.conf.rkmpp) to rename in the specified location, you need to create file (~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf) it yourself with the correct content.

In previous images, a strange error was found, so I updated the images to version 20181014.

Checked on MVR9, everything works. Added additional image with Ubuntu Bionic and built-in MPV with HW support. The video plays in full screen. For those who need to play full screen video from Youtube, I recommend To install SMPlayer and Smtube packages, configure Smplayer (in additional options to use MPV with options "--vo=gpu --gpu-context=drm --hwdec=rkmpp" )  and you will get Youtube video in full screen in Smtube.

Hi there,

First of all thank you very much for the work done on this image.

I recently bought an RK3328 T9 android box (seems to be an OEM box, but mine is "Vontar" branded). I'm of course interested in installing Linux on it :)

Good news is that it boots on microSD ... 

Now, with the provided image, I'm stuck at the initramfs step...

ZeVPwSA.png

I tried changing the "UUID=" usage with "PARTUUID=" in the armbianEnv.txt file but had no success.

Any idea of what could be the cause ?

9 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

1. Specify the version of the image.

2. Which dtb option is specified in the settings ? 

1: "Armbian_5.62_Rk3328-tv_Debian_stretch_default_4.4.143_desktop_20181008.img"

2: "/dtb/rockchip/rk3328-box-trn9.dtb", I already tried the others rk3328*, unfortunately with always the same result.

As the recorded image ? As a connected SD card with Armbian to TV box ? I observed the same error when trying to use an extension cord for SD card. Only when you install the SD card in the regular slot in the TV box, the system works fine. To configure the mount point, use the file " / extlinux / extlinux.conf." Note that if you change the mount point in this file, you will not be able to use the eMMC system installation script.

8 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

As the recorded image ? As a connected SD card with Armbian to TV box ? I observed the same error when trying to use an extension cord for SD card. Only when you install the SD card in the regular slot in the TV box, the system works fine. To configure the mount point, use the file " / extlinux / extlinux.conf." Note that if you change the mount point in this file, you will not be able to use the eMMC system installation script.

I wrote the .img on a microsd using Etcher. I inserted the microsd directly in the microsd slot of the box.

Hum, I'm sorry, I have no idea which extlinux.conf modification of the mount point could make the system to boot.

Quick question: within the initramfs, is it a normal mount result ?

rCwWaYO.png

12 minutes ago, nytocs said:

Hum, I'm sorry, I have no idea which extlinux.conf modification of the mount point could make the system to boot.

To check, try changing the line in the file "extlinux.conf"

APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS console=uart8250,mmio32,0xff130000 console=tty0

to

APPEND root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 console=uart8250,mmio32,0xff130000 console=tty0

or

APPEND root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 console=uart8250,mmio32,0xff130000 console=tty0

15 minutes ago, nytocs said:

Quick question: within the initramfs, is it a normal mount result ? 

No, this is incorrect content, so the system does not start.

12 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

To check, try changing the line in the file "extlinux.conf" 

APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS console=uart8250,mmio32,0xff130000 console=tty0

to

APPEND root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 console=uart8250,mmio32,0xff130000 console=tty0 

or 

APPEND root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 console=uart8250,mmio32,0xff130000 console=tty0 

No, this is incorrect content, so the system does not start. 

I tried both APPEND propositions... doesn't work ...

But it isn't very surprising because I cannot see any mmcblk* device in /dev/ from the initramfs :mellow:

Did you already encounter such situation ?

18 minutes ago, nytocs said:

I tried both APPEND propositions... doesn't work ...

But it isn't very surprising because I cannot see any mmcblk* device in /dev/ from the initramfs :mellow:

Did you already encounter such situation ?

no, I didn't see that situation. there are several possible causes. Not the correct dtb (not available to fit your TV box). Either the card reader and / or SD card are not compatible. Show a link with a description of your model.

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

no, I didn't see that situation. there are several possible causes. Not the correct dtb (not available to fit your TV box). Either the card reader and / or SD card are not compatible. Show a link with a description of your model. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newest-4GB-64GB-Android-8-1-TV-Box-T9-RK3328-Quad-Core-4G-32G-USB-3/32899865217.html

I could extract information (an fdt file, among others) from the boot partitions of the Android 8.1. Do you think it can help ?

devicetree.tar.gz

Edit: Convered the fdt file (which is actually a .dtb file) into a .dts file

rk3328-t9-android.dts

rk3328-t9-android.dtb

I tested yesterday evening your last image with my V88 mini III. I burnt your u-boot related files using rockchip opensource documentation, otherwise it booted to emmc starting android instead of sd card.

After that, I still was not able to boot even after testing all available dtbs (except android ones). I'll try too connect uart as soon as possible to give more insight of the problem.

15 hours ago, nytocs said:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newest-4GB-64GB-Android-8-1-TV-Box-T9-RK3328-Quad-Core-4G-32G-USB-3/32899865217.html

I could extract information (an fdt file, among others) from the boot partitions of the Android 8.1. Do you think it can help ?

devicetree.tar.gz

Edit: Convered the fdt file (which is actually a .dtb file) into a .dts file

rk3328-t9-android.dts

rk3328-t9-android.dtb

Good day. I have a SCISHION V88 Piano TV Box - RK3328 4GB RAM + 16GB ROM Android 7.1 USB 3.0 Fast LAN. It works very poorly with trees of devices that exist in various LibreElec assemblies for RK3328. Could you get the device tree for my box from its firmware? Here is the link to my firmware https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LbRUocCILNPPXVgu_cOH0Cgqm8JWb2Kn
Thank.

23 hours ago, nytocs said:

No joy... the box doesn't boot anymore with this dtb

Check this option. Write the image to two media SD card and USB flash drive. Configure the dtb in the extlinux.conf on SD card. Connect both media at the same time to the TV box and turn on the power.

New ver 5.64 20181019

Now I tested the latest version of the 5.64 system when playing video on MVR9. With the right options settings for MPV on the rk3328, you can watch full screen video at 1080p resolution (not perfect, but acceptable). But found that for continuous operation of the system must have a good cooling. All TV boxes with plastic housings require mandatory revision of the housing and it is very desirable to install the fan. Only in this case the system starts to work steadily and gives its full potential.

On 10/20/2018 at 8:28 AM, balbes150 said:

Check this option. Write the image to two media SD card and USB flash drive. Configure the dtb in the extlinux.conf on SD card. Connect both media at the same time to the TV box and turn on the power.

Nice catch !!! B) With both the microSD and USB key newly written and plugged at the same time in the box, I could successfully boot and obtain the Armbian Desktop. This with the default provided dtb. However without surprise, no BT, no WIFI. I tried the other provided dtb's, some boot with the same result, some don't boot at all.

And with my extracted android t9 dtb, I still have the same result as before: the box doesn't boot.

45 minutes ago, nytocs said:

Nice catch !!! B) With both the microSD and USB key newly written and plugged at the same time in the box, I could successfully boot and obtain the Armbian Desktop. This with the default provided dtb. However without surprise, no BT, no WIFI. I tried the other provided dtb's, some boot with the same result, some don't boot at all.

And with my extracted android t9 dtb, I still have the same result as before: the box doesn't boot.

it will be interesting to test running Libreelec in the same mode (SD+USB).

Hi @balbes150..

Very nice work on the images / mpv !!

I just received a ROC-RK3328-CC (Renegade) from libre.computer (firefly), and tried out your build on it which runs smoothly at 1080p.

I also tried out the newest build from LibreELEC and kodi which actually runs 4k60fps perfect too.

With your image 4k60fps has a lot of dropped frames, but do you think there's a chance it could match LibreELEC/kodi playback?

Hi Balbes

Like nytoc, during boot it could not find rootfs

This is a H96Max+  ,, board labeled RK3328_8D4_V1.1

It has sv6501P wifi

About 1/2 the dtb don't even start to boot,

evb-android, both rock64, roc-cc, box-liantong

The rest, evb,  box,  box-z28, box-trn9, rockbox,

all have no mmc (ls /dev/block}

They will all boot with rootfs on usb stick

obviously uboot can read mmc, since uinitrd gets loaded (and kernel)

Once or twice, booted only with usb, I'm not sure which, maybe

box or rockbox

The next update, please compile ssv6051 module

I tried to strip the dtb out of resource.img, doesn't boot (mmcblk2p5)

Maybe there was more in that 8M partition, the dtb <60K

The android on it (8.1) is 4.4.140 (and rooted, that's how I got resource.img)

thanks for the work

--more--

There was no way I could make it go to maskrom with the button,

maybe there is a trick,, also could not do adb with usb,, lsusb never showed it

Had to use wireless adb

Edited by wdtz
clarity, more info

20 hours ago, balbes150 said:

it will be interesting to test running Libreelec in the same mode (SD+USB).

Behavior more or less the same as with Armbian

- microSD only : cannot find rootfs

- microSD + USB: I can reach the Kodi interface but I don't have any network support

>- microSD + USB: I can reach the Kodi interface but I don't have any network support

Not even ethernet?

If your android is rooted, then,,  su; lsmod  ,,  you should be able to tell which is wifi module

OR,, take it apart and look at chip markings, the antenna will go to wifi chip (for me sv6051p)

I assume you have both ethernet and wifi in android?

11 minutes ago, wdtz said:

>- microSD + USB: I can reach the Kodi interface but I don't have any network support 

Not even ethernet?

If your android is rooted, then,,  su; lsmod  ,,  you should be able to tell which is wifi module 

OR,, take it apart and look at chip markings, the antenna will go to wifi chip (for me sv6051p)

I assume you have both ethernet and wifi in android?

It seems even the Ethernet is not recognized under Libreelec (here, cable was connected and dhcp was enabled)...

Capture.PNG.0b8bb0fc7ed00fb96b0c5d4249068a6c.PNG

*By the way I just tested on Armbian with the default configured dtb, ethernet is not working

from Android: su; lsmod 

image.png.363486e0e9eddbc554d646de1eb03815.png

And according to the dtb I extracted from the Android 8.1, the chip is an RTL8723BS

image.png.d3aa870fe0457b614236f855673306a6.png

The box has both Ethernet and Wifi.

17 hours ago, porsager said:

With your image 4k60fps has a lot of dropped frames, but do you think there's a chance it could match LibreELEC/kodi playback? 

It is possible, but it will take time. Packages with HW used from Assembly ayufan, they need to modify and assemble with the new settings. I expect in the next version (to get one with Debian feature set) is not included by default, these packets from ayufan. For those who want to use them, you will need to perform a set of steps to install and configure them yourself.

6 hours ago, wdtz said:

The next update, please compile ssv6051 module

I'll see what I can do. I do not give any guarantees (I do not have such equipment).

6 hours ago, wdtz said:

I tried to strip the dtb out of resource.img, doesn't boot (mmcblk2p5)

Did you check if any mmcblk0\1\2 appeared ?

6 hours ago, wdtz said:

Maybe there was more in that 8M partition, the dtb <60K

You need to try the tools to extract the firmware file. Maybe then you can get the dtb.

On 10/19/2018 at 10:00 AM, vic said:

Good day. I have a SCISHION V88 Piano TV Box - RK3328 4GB RAM + 16GB ROM Android 7.1 USB 3.0 Fast LAN. It works very poorly with trees of devices that exist in various LibreElec assemblies for RK3328. Could you get the device tree for my box from its firmware? Here is the link to my firmware https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LbRUocCILNPPXVgu_cOH0Cgqm8JWb2Kn
Thank.

I successfully extracted the resource.img and the dtb.. you can take a look

resource_img.zip

>Did you check if any mmcblk0\1\2 appeared ?

I don't understand what you mean here?

This was under rooted android,, so if I wanted to I could have dd'd them somewhere

Under your distro, I have never seen any mmc devices, bad dtb I think

>You need to try the tools to extract the firmware file. Maybe then you can get the dtb.

You mean fdtdump?  Initially, did not work, had to strip leading 2k to magic d00dfeed

So far, all the dts that I have looked at are  a MESS, pointing to non-existant clocks,

phandle confusions, missing lines etc. It's a miracle that they boot

Like there is 100 years of cruft in them, hard to believe these are newish devices

if you can get a boot,, dmesg> to-something-to-study,, lots to fix

(the initrd has dmesg in it, but unless it recognizes a usb stick you nowhere to write to)

Nytoc, is the wifi  loading the firmware?,  dmesg  |  grep firmware  Balbes's distro doesn't seem to come with firmware, apt-get

nytoc,, by the way, most firmware is distro and version agnostic ,,

byte-order certainly matters, but probably not arch

Sometimes it is in non-default locations and doesn't load,

sometimes the package manager forces unnecessary restrictions

sometimes ethernet has firmware

--more--

Since you have a rooted android??  ,,

you already have the firmware,, /vendor/lib/firmware/some-directory-with-8723-in-it's-name