5 5
hjc

NanoPi M4 performance and consumption review

On 9/29/2018 at 5:48 AM, Jason Law said:

On a different note regarding the heat sink, are you better off with a fan blowing from the top down? Or from the side for heat dissipation?

Depends. Though in all my tests blowing air laterally performed best (see here or here). With NanoPi M4 just some airflow through the heatsink fins is already sufficient (tested it behind a server PSU's 'hot air' outlet).

But of course you can easily conduct your own tests. Simply use sbc-bench's thermal testing mode and if you want to adjust your fan setup interactively then use the installed cpuminer application in /usr/local/src/ (but please keep in mind that with the huge thermal mass of NanoPi M4's heatsink it's very easy too fool yourself and that's why I would always recommend a combined sbc-bench -t/-T test run)

1 hour ago, Teal said:

If it would be a Marvell based 4-port SATA - and omv compatible like this one for example

I recommended the 88SE9235 for a reason and @mindee said they would use this chip. I hope you're aware that there exist RK3399 boards with full PCIe slots already? PCIe functionality is only a kernel thing (drivers and device-tree settings) and a board design issue (PCB trace lengths/routing and signal quality)

On 9/23/2018 at 1:37 PM, mindee said:

Thanks for your suggestion, we made a SATA HAT prototype for NanoPi M4, it can connect  with 4x 3.5inch hard drive and work well.

IMG_1132.thumb.jpg.69c80a5030248bdb5cdbe0e7c3965689.jpg

That HAT would be the cat's pyjamas:

catspyjamas.jpg.6ed6c787c48b95a8b36abd128a2ad6d5.jpg

On 9/29/2018 at 5:48 AM, Jason Law said:

On a different note regarding the heat sink, are you better off with a fan blowing from the top down? Or from the side for heat dissipation?

Here my temperatures with a small fan on the underside and some screws to raise it. As tkaiser said. It works better when the fan blows over a larger area. This works good enough.
It's a great heatsink. But the downside is that it heats up the whole board. So I don't think it's healty to constantly run it at 85°C. I've done it for 1h for a test. The board smelled badly. I want do it again. With low loads it doesn't heat up quickly.

Temperature
---------------
Armbian Bionic/Stretch 64-bit 2Ghz + 1.5Ghz
                        With fan idle        36°C
                        With fan maxed   65°C
                        No fan idle           40°C
                        No fan maxed     Throttles at 85°C after 14m30s

Lubuntu armhf/arm64 1.8Ghz + 1.4GHz
                        With fan idle       29°C
                        With fan maxed   54°C
                        No fan idle          42°C
                        No fan maxed     69°C (after 30 minutes maxed)

nanopi.png.de985170d1d6938e149dd18ace153153.png

Very very interested in an availability date for the SATA HAT. I am somebody who will connect an SSD to this board, not so much for performance as for lower power dissipation and noise. :)

I could use the USB 3 ports for this, but the enclosure I'm envisioning would make this far more awkward than something which attaches to the top of the board.

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum. Does anyone know if the SATA HAT will power the NanoPi M4 board too? I see a power connector on the HAT.

Thanks

1 hour ago, mlevistm said:

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum. Does anyone know if the SATA HAT will power the NanoPi M4 board too? I see a power connector on the HAT.

Thanks

It's very possible as the board can be powered from the 5v pin and a ground.