tried out armbian on orangepi one allwinner h3, thanks

ag123

i tried out tried out armbian on orangepi one allwinner h3, just like to say thanks

the desktop and all looks really nice after it boot up successfully, chromium and all pre-installed in the ubuntu xenial distribution

https://dl.armbian.com/orangepione/

oh yes, i noted that the Ubuntu Xenial distribution requires one to 'scroll down' right below on the page for the board

https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-one/

Is this an 'old' distribution? i noted that it is updated pretty recently

are there 'desktop' versions for debian stretch?

the other thing is i noted the allwinner h3 cpu runs hot literally to even touch, i may try to get a heatsink

is there any way to figure out the cpu temperature? lm-sensors don't seem to be preinstalled

there are probably many things for myself to figure out

ok found h3consumption

ok found armbianmonitor -m

ok found /etc/armbianmonitor/datasources/soctemp -> /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

oh well, h3, h2+ seem simplier than some series which needs sunxi_tp_temp. sunxi_tp_temp is invalid on the h3 / h2+

ok and here is a little tip for mdns / bonjour / avahi

file: /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf
publish-workstation=yes

that makes it convenient from another linux pc to issue

avahi-browse -a
result:
+ eth0 IPv6 orangepione [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx]               Workstation          local

makes it easier to see that the board is booted up and ready on the ethernet, i'm not too sure if there are other ways to search for the board on the net

done trying xenial, next try stretch,

for orangepione for now only the 'console based' startup and distribution, this seemed to startup better on the pione

a 'desktop' distribution would be nice

ok i did:

as root:

apt-get upgrade armbian-config

next run

armbian-config

under the system menu, i found "Default install desktop with browser and extras" as well as "Minimal install minimal desktop"

my thoughts are it would still help to distribute an image with "install desktop with browser and extras" done as a compressed image.

installing this way would take more bandwidth than is necessary, and if users goofed and they 'reinstall' the image writing it to sd, they would run install desktop with browser and extras again consuming double the bandwidth.

distributing the "desktop" image for orangepione would let users download that via bittorrent and if they goofed simply overwrite the sd card with the image again

i think there are 2 groups of users, those who want a 'minimal' distribution, basically just that console based one, no 'desktop' etc. and the other group who wants 'everything', well the 'desktop' that is

------------------ avahi ---------

stretch seem a little rough for the moment, avahi-daemon don't seem to be pre-installed

avahi-daemon is useful for the 'minimal' crowd who use that board 'headless' over the ethernet.

for the 'headless' users, the normal question is 'where is my board' (the ip address that is, especially if it is configured via dhcp), avahi (mdns) gives that answer

apt-get install avahi-daemon

then edit /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf as in the first post

------------------- h3 stuff ----------

h3consumption is 'missing', it didn't seem to be in apt as well

ok for now i just get it from :

https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/packages/bsp/h3consumption

just let me know if this isn't the right place to get it

oops ./h3consumption
This tool requires legacy kernel on H3 devices. Exiting.

The major difference between those three images is:

Stretch : modern 4.x (14? 17?) kernel, based on Debian

Bionic: modern 4.x (14? 17?) kernel, based on Ubuntu

Xenial: legacy 3.4 kernel, based on Ubuntu

The modern kernels are generally pretty-close-to-mainline linux, thanks to the hard work of the guys in the linux-sunxi group.

Since not everything has been reverse-engineered, it doesn't (yet) support all the device features.

h3consumption will not work with the modern kernels, so is not included

The legacy kernel is based off a vendor-provided kernel that has been cleaned up and had a few dozen (hundred) security patches on top of it.

It's based of the now end-of-life 3.4.y kernel tree that was initially released in 2012 and was marked end-of-life in 2016 following the final 3.4.113 update

All the hardware should work with these kernels, but the anything that relies on a modern kernel (eg. btrfs) won't work, and you'll be missing the last 2 years of security/stability updates.