Testdisk

Nick

Does anyone else have to run testdisk regularly after writing Armbian images to SD cards?

It may simply be that I've cycles through the 3 or 4 cards that I have here so many times now that they are all on their way out, but it certainly happens on more than 1 card.

I've just tried the latest Git version and it's happens with both debootstrap and debootstrap-ng. I used dd in an ubuntu VM to write the SD cards using a USB SD card reader.

Workflow:

Build Armbian

use dd to write image file to SD card

Try SD card in *pi board, it fails with unsupported file system error EDIT: the actual error is "Failed to mount Ext2 filesystem"

Insert SD card into USB reader and run testdisk, allow it to find the partition and re-write partition table

Try SD card in *pi board again and everything boots perfectly. No more trouble until the next time I try and write an SD card.

In the past I have seen the odd error regarding writing partition tables come out of the build system, but I don't see (or at least notice) it all of the time.

I had 3 prebuilt images in output/images (wheezy, jessie, trusty), just tested them with losetup.

1 of them (wheezy) resulted in this after partprobe:

[  384.054638] attempt to access beyond end of device
[  384.054649] loop0: rw=0, want=2578312, limit=2101248
[  384.054663] attempt to access beyond end of device
[  384.054667] loop0: rw=0, want=2578312, limit=2101248
[  384.054673] Buffer I/O error on dev loop0p1, logical block 322032, async page read

other 2 are OK.

I'll do another build later with build logging turned on to see if I can capture the exact errors. It may be just my SD cards though they are a mix of Transcend and Kingston, so not the cheapest of cards.

I was mostly wondering if anyone else had experienced something similar. I'll order some new cards as well soon and see if the problem goes away.

I've just run testdisk on the .raw image file and then copied it to one of the SD cards that I've been using this evening. Same booting problem. No ext2 found.

So I guess the problem is with my cards, the USB card reader or dd. 

I'm using bs=1M for dd could that be a problem?

What is f3? I've not heard of that before.

Usually anything related to possible SD cards problems automatically summons @tkaiser here  :)

http://oss.digirati.com.br/f3/

I'm using bs=1M for dd could that be a problem?

This shouldn't be a problem.

By the way, what kernel and distribution are you testing? Are you experiencing error with one combination of OS release and kernel or with several different too?

All of my builds at least for the last week of so have been built with the following

./compile.sh BUILD_DESKTOP=no RELEASE=jessie BRANCH=next PROGRESS_DISPLAY=plain PROGESS_LOG_TO_FILE=yes BOARD=bananapipro PROGRESS_DISPLAY=plain COMPRESS_OUTPUTIMAGE=no DEST_LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 EXTENDED_DEBOOTSTRAP=yes APT_PROXY_ADDR=nas-1.local

I actually run a script that contains the above, so I know that it haven't changed due to typos etc. 

I'm playing with f3 now, I'll let you know how I get on  :)

F3 finally finished, here is the output

sudo f3write /media/nick/a11ec933-f0e3-43bf-93bf-603f9e66ea49
Free space: 7.02 GB
Creating file 1.fff ... OK!                         
Creating file 2.fff ... OK!                                                                                                          
Creating file 3.fff ... OK!                                                                                                          
Creating file 4.fff ... OK!                                                                                                          
Creating file 5.fff ... OK!                                                                                                          
Creating file 6.fff ... OK!                                                                                                          
Creating file 7.fff ... OK!                                                                                                          
Creating file 8.fff ... OK!                                                                                                          
Free space: 16.00 MB                                                                                                                 
Average writing speed: 3.87 MB/s                                                                                                     
nick@ubuntu-vm:~/hg/p158-linux-images$ sudo f3read /media/nick/a11ec933-f0e3-43bf-93bf-603f9e66ea49                             
[sudo] password for nick:                                                                                                            
                  SECTORS      ok/corrupted/changed/overwritten                                                                      
Validating file 1.fff ... 2097152/        0/      0/      0                                                                          
Validating file 2.fff ... 2097152/        0/      0/      0                                                                          
Validating file 3.fff ... 2097152/        0/      0/      0                                                                          
Validating file 4.fff ... 2097152/        0/      0/      0                                                                          
Validating file 5.fff ... 2097152/        0/      0/      0                                                                          
Validating file 6.fff ... 2097152/        0/      0/      0                                                                          
Validating file 7.fff ... 2097152/        0/      0/      0                                                                          
Validating file 8.fff ...   14232/        0/      0/      0                                                                          

Data OK: 7.01 GB (14694296 sectors)                                                                                                
Data LOST: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)                                                                                                     
               Corrupted: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)                                                                                      
        Slightly changed: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)                                                                                      
             Overwritten: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)                                                                                      
Average reading speed: 15.70 MB/s 

To me at least the output looks ok

Yes sure, I'm looking at the apt-cacher issue at the moment, but the next time I have an image I'll post the output log. I'm guessing by changes you mean updating the kernels boot args to ttyS0,115200?

Ok, I think I may have stumbled on the solution by accident last night, no surprises in that it looks like the cause was me being an idiot as usual...  :(

I use ctrl-r and bash's history alot and it would appear that sometimes I've been trying to write the .raw file to /dev/sdb1 instead of /dev/sdb. As expected the Pi fails to boot, my Kubuntu desktop can't mount the fs etc. etc.

The interesting thing is that testdisk appears to be able to fix this up! I need to confirm all of this with a few more tests but if that's the case then not only problem solved, but also how awesome is testdisk!!

I use ctrl-r and bash's history alot and it would appear that sometimes I've been trying to write the .raw file to /dev/sdb1 instead of /dev/sdb. As expected the Pi fails to boot, my Kubuntu desktop can't mount the fs etc. etc.

FYI: Some cards (in particular, I'm thinking about Medion 32GB cards) do not allow writing to sector 0.

You'd have to write to /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/sda in such cases (Sometimes it works for me, sometimes it doesn't; it seem to depend on the image; I haven't tried it with Armbian, though, as I've stopped using the 32GB card).

Fortunately, this happened only on the 32GB cards; the 16GB cards work well for me.

It's like the first sector(s) are protected somehow.

SanDisk SD-formatter does not complain, when I use it for formatting any of the cards.