Hardware acceleration in Chromium on OPI-PC(h3)

Lipton

is this possible?

chromium-browser --use-gl=egl
[1800:1800:1212/194050:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(479)] EGL display query failed with error EGL_SUCCESS[1800:1800:1212/194050:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(486)] eglInitialize Default failed with error EGL_BAD_DISPLAY[1800:1800:1212/194050:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(479)] EGL display query failed with error EGL_SUCCESS[1800:1800:1212/194050:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(486)] eglInitialize Default failed with error EGL_BAD_DISPLAY[1800:1800:1212/194050:ERROR:gl_surface_x11.cc(68)] GLSurfaceEGL::InitializeOneOff failed.[1800:1800:1212/194050:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(345)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process[1800:1800:1212/194050:ERROR:gpu_child_thread.cc(227)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization[1764:1795:1212/194050:ERROR:browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(121)] Failed to launch GPU process.

I've tried that before, but it does not quite work at all. You can enable hardware aceleration on Chrome but forcing it will end working slower than it usually does through software aceleration. I've tried it without success.

Maybe MALI isn't compatible with Chromium at all? I really don't know but I started to think about it...

Currently we're using driver version r3p0 for Mali and it seems at least r4p1 would be necessary for Chromium to work. So unless someone updates Mali's kernel and userspace versions nothing will change.

I have successfully compiled kernel modules. r5p0 and r6p0. Here http://orangepi.pp.ua/index.php/topic,234.0.html 

where to get libMali.so for this version?

I've done the same yesterday with r4p0 (in a way that this can be integrated in our Armbian build system since it's pretty useless otherwise): https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/pull/238

No idea where to get the appropriate libMali.so. As far as I understand this is something Allwinner has to provide since they signed a contract with ARM and have access to the respective DDK.

Ohhh, does it mean that it is close to be able to implement a new mali driver for armbian and hence for other distros as well? I hope it, because that's been the everlasting problem in all GPU's since ancient times, drivers.

Thank you for your effort!

Ohhh, does it mean that it is close to be able to implement a new mali driver for armbian and hence for other distros as well? I hope it, because that's been the everlasting problem in all GPU's since ancient times, drivers.

Nope, it's a bit more complicated since most people forget that we're talking about OpenGL ES and not OpenGL. Please read from here on: http://irclog.whitequark.org/linux-sunxi/2016-03-20#15827535;

At the moment it seems none of the Armbian devs that had looked into this stuff are that much interested in desktop/GUI (at least that applies to me). And it also seems that it needs a huge amount of work to get this up and running in a way that doesn't suck: for example building the core GUI applications that need OpenGLES out-of-tree and integrating them as .debs

Unless someone skilled in this area joins development efforts I fear nothing will change. At the moment we ship with a horribly outdated r3p0 version, it works more or less and I fear it will remain at this version for a longer time...

I see. That's unfortunate, but you're right.

But I've been thinking about ARM GPU which are directly compatible with OPENGL (like PowerVR). Does it mean that it would work like in a normal desktop-laptop GPU? I mean, having a Linux distro compatible with that SoC.

I can guess those problems about OpenGLES are not derivated from being too new but from Allwinner way of doing things.