Sunvell H3 2GB RAM + 16GB ROM TV Box

gounthar

57 minutes ago, TheLinuxBug said:

Okay, it seems I missed something; supposedly the Orange Pi 0 +2 H3 image does boot on the NEW Sunvell (R69) H3 2Gb Ram, 16GB Rom image (NAND will not work obviously).  However, it boots without USB, ethernet, wifi... basically anything but HDMI and UART.  So obviously need to get fex figured out but I guess I at least got it booting.  Still looking for any suggestions from anyone that has it running well already.

Will update as I make more progress...

@Matthew Hodgson Please realize there is 2 different R69's now,  the old one, yes you could run almost any image and the Beelink X2 image worked, so did H3Droid out of the box.  Problem here is, this new box is not the same.  It uses NAND storage and it seems has some very specific configurations needed in the fex which are custom (thinking possibly very low DRAM settings or some specific setting in the fex that is only available in the OPi Zero +2 image).  It is either you are thinking of that box or you got a different revision as I spent hours trying to get different images booting and the only success I had was the OPi Zero +2 H3 Armbian image and that only works somewhat with most of the peripherals missing.

Since I am still working to make it work with H3Droid, at least that is my goal, I welcome any feedback which may help and will be sure to update here as I make progress.

Cheers!

Hi - Heres a photo of my Sunvell H3 board if that helps you - thanks

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

Super odd!  They must have made revisions of this board and some are different.  I promise you mine will not even boot that Beelink X2 image mention in the video.  The ONLY think I have gotten to boot was OPi Zero +2 image and its severely crippled.  I will post images of mine below, maybe there is some subtle difference I am missing?

So far my link seems limited so I am guessing they made some change mid-run of these, like using sub-standard memory that needs an extremely low DRAM setting to operate.  Only thing that seems to make sense as to why all other images won't boot.

Will continue to update if I make any progress here.

Cheers!

sunvell-new1.jpeg

sunvell-new.jpeg

To note, if you check that Youtube video there seem to be a lot of people in the comments there observing the same issue.  They state they also have this exact same board and it won't boot at all either.  I am guessing bad quality memory, like in the last box, except in the last box it simply prevented any good use of 1080p cause the DRAM wasn't fast enough.  In this version is seems it causes the need to likely set DRAM super low for it to boot.  Will probably take using uboot/fex for OPi Zero +2 and trying to figure out something usable from that.

I really wanted to get H3Droid working with this board for our next release but at this point with the mix of quality / revisions that are possible this may be in vain, because even if I get it working, may not work for others.

No going back now though... will just have to keep at it!

Cheers!

On 12/12/2018 at 3:29 AM, Thierry Rivier said:

Hi,

i have buy a Sunvell H3 too,

build Armbian with Sunvell-R69 config work perfectely on Ubuntu 16.04 (with old kernel for GPU) .

my only probleme is the EMMC is not found , impossible to put on it. someone found the solution ?

Best Regards

Assuming you are not talking about the OLD Sunvell R69 model with 1gb ram, 8gb eMMc and you are talking about the newest version with 2GB of ram:

You must have gotten lucky, mine won't boot normal images with regular settings, seems I got one with shitty ram modules that are way under-clocked like some others have.

Additionally, the board has NAND not eMMc, this is why you can't see it and you won't be able to.  There is no support for NAND in Linux, there is only a proprietary FTL driver implementation that is licensed which Android manufacturers use, such as in this case.  So while you can boot other Linux images and such off SDcard you won't be able to use the NAND except with their specific image, sadly.

Cheers!

I'm sorry to say this, but I've got to throw in the towel wrt. these boards. I managed to get the OPi Zero +2 H3 image to boot, but even that only boots once. booting again from the same sd card doesn't work until I reflash the image onto the card.

I've fiddled with the OPi Zero +2 H3 fex, but haven't really gotten anywhere. simply taking the DRAM frequency, or even all DRAM settings from the OPi Zero +2 H3 fex & copying them over to the Beelink X2 fex won't make it boot.

luckily I can repurpose mine as boat navigation computers by using the Android side & the Navionics Android app (once I figure out which USB GPS puck & USB touch screen will work with this thing)

best of luck to everyone still soldiering on.

1 hour ago, TheLinuxBug said:

Additionally, the board has NAND not eMMc, this is why you can't see it and you won't be able to.  There is no support for NAND in Linux, there is only a proprietary FTL driver implementation that is licensed which Android manufacturers use, such as in this case.  So while you can boot other Linux images and such off SDcard you won't be able to use the NAND except with their specific image, sadly.

mtd should work - https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.14/driver-api/mtdnand.html

Would need to tweak uboot, build the partitions - jffs as a file system - but might just be use the NAND as a pseudo SPI, and boot the rest from USB or the SD Card....

17 hours ago, TheLinuxBug said:

Assuming you are not talking about the OLD Sunvell R69 model with 1gb ram, 8gb eMMc and you are talking about the newest version with 2GB of ram:

Yes the new Sunvell 2G+16G is named "Sunvell H3" on Gearbest :

https://fr.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_009806580615.html?wid=1433363

But i have Build "the Sunvell R69" version for test it on SD (with the Xenial for full Hardware acceleration on GPU)

I see on RS232 on normal boot (from nand and android) , the board boot with Uboot too . so i don't think it's a probleme for boot in Nand:

"U-Boot 2014.07 (Jul 24 2018 - 15:09:49) Allwinner Technology"

"[0.895]NAND: NAND_UbootInit
NAND_UbootInit start
NB1 : enter NAND_LogicInit"

Best Regards

As Info:

Mxq Project has posted Sunvell TV box firmware that runs perfectly on Opi PC.

Smooth as butter, best firmware to date, up to date Android 7.1.2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peo6mcV12Is

Download Firmware Here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZjO47X3H8XHLt3ehzhYI01Ip7ulJLgKE/view

You will also need Phoenix Card Maker and an SD card to burn this onto your device.

On 12/21/2018 at 7:04 PM, Tido said:

You can enable MLC NAND support, but   ...  http://linux-sunxi.org/Mainline_NAND_Howto

i already try , impossible to make it work ...:/

On 12/30/2018 at 5:56 PM, snowbody said:

I tried installing the sunvell firmware on orange pi plus 2e.  I installs fine, boots up and works, ..... but no ethernet nor wifi, so no internet (guess different drivers )

normal , it's not same Wifi/Ethernet controler  than Sunvell

On 12/30/2018 at 8:56 AM, snowbody said:

I tried installing the sunvell firmware on orange pi plus 2e.  I installs fine, boots up and works, ..... but no ethernet nor wifi, so no internet (guess different drivers )

Probably tweak DT for the Pi Plus 2e - accounting for Realtek on the WiFi and GMAC...

Sunveil is 10/100 off the H3 directly, and WiFi is the XR chip...

On 2/15/2019 at 5:21 AM, Tido said:

Android or Linux ?

Android Rom please

I tried to put this rom 7.1.2 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZjO47X3H8XHLt3ehzhYI01Ip7ulJLgKE/view
Works fine but, my device is the new H3 with 2GB RAM and 16GB ROM.
So, i need the new board Android rom.

Thanks for reply

On 2/16/2019 at 11:15 AM, flaviokosta said:

Android Rom please

I tried to put this rom 7.1.2 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZjO47X3H8XHLt3ehzhYI01Ip7ulJLgKE/view
Works fine but, my device is the new H3 with 2GB RAM and 16GB ROM.
So, i need the new board Android rom.

Thanks for reply

Hi guys! 

I've been trying everything but nothing makes this last firmware work with my chinese

“DragonRise Inc. DragonRise Inc. Generic USB Joystick" joypad. 

(hid-dr.ko module)

This firmware don't let "insmod" anything!

("exec format error" message) 

Looks like a blocked firmware. 

If someone got success to install modules in this board, please make me know how. 

Thanks! 

I got an MXQ Pro 4K 5G with an Allwinner H3. Armbian image for Beelink X2 runs fine. Ethernet, USB (Webcam, sound cards, etc.) works. The firmware only reads 1GB of RAM though. I've check my board and it has 4 512MB RAM modules and also a 16GB eMMC module. Very similar to the Sunvell H3.

On 12/12/2018 at 4:29 PM, Thierry Rivier said:

Hi,

i have buy a Sunvell H3 too,

build Armbian with Sunvell-R69 config work perfectely on Ubuntu 16.04 (with old kernel for GPU) .

my only probleme is the EMMC is not found , impossible to put on it. someone found the solution ?

Best Regards

Where can I find the same image? Is media playback better?