Can not find linux-headers for driver development

Vishal

While using ubuntu1604-kernel4.4-VAAPLI.img I took downloaded from the server, I came across the following problem.

While trying to develop device drivers for kernel space, I realized we dont have any linux headers in the said system.

I have tried looking up for the same at Rockchip's github as well as wiki site, but could not find one.

Can anyone point me to the correct linux headers ? I am using RK3288 development board, and current my version using "uname -r" is "4.4.55+"

Thanks for the prompt response, really appreciate it. But the steps mentioned in the above link did not work for me. After installing the said package, I got the following errors on building my test driver

ubuntu@localhost:~/vishal/kernel_modules/wow_display_manager$ make
make -C /lib/modules/'4.4.71-rockchip'/build/ M=/home/ubuntu/vishal/kernel_modules/wow_display_manager modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.71-rockchip'
  CC [M]  /home/ubuntu/vishal/kernel_modules/wow_display_manager/wow-display-manager.o
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mgeneral-regs-only’
scripts/Makefile.build:264: recipe for target '/home/ubuntu/vishal/kernel_modules/wow_display_manager/wow-display-manager.o' failed
make[2]: *** [/home/ubuntu/vishal/kernel_modules/wow_display_manager/wow-display-manager.o] Error 1
Makefile:1419: recipe for target '_module_/home/ubuntu/vishal/kernel_modules/wow_display_manager' failed
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/ubuntu/vishal/kernel_modules/wow_display_manager] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.71-rockchip'
Makefile:8: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
ubuntu@localhost:~/vishal/kernel_modules/wow_display_manager$

We have a Rockchip RK3288 based development board with a bare minimum Ubuntu ported on top of the Kernel as mentioned here

https://github.com/rockchip-linux/kernel

The details of Ubuntu are mentioned here

http://opensource.rock-chips.com/wiki_Linux_user_guide

Is it possible to generate linux-headers from kernel? They are the prerequisites for building kernel level device drivers. Thanks in advance.

58 minutes ago, Vishal said:

But the steps mentioned in the above link did not work for me

That's because you do NOT use Armbian and therefore instructions for Armbian won't work. As expected. You might have your reasons to do everything complicated and manually though...