TonysMac's kitchen corner

chwe

I'm depressing myself, back to sipping whisky and eating Spätzle  <--- if that isn't comfort food, I don't know what is.   @chwe we should start a "local foods" thread.  Mostly because I'm hungry and want to learn some recipes. 

:lol: challenge accepted

Todays special:

Schweinshaxe mit Knöpfli

Knöpfli is Switzerlands pendant to 'Spätzle'.  Schweinshaxe (Ham hock), and for those not knowing them:

267px-Schwein-Eisbein.png here we go..

user: ~$ time meal.sh
real ~2h30min
user ~40min
sys ~2h

First we start with the Haxe. We rost them of both sides for around 2-3mins in a metal bowl on the hotplate.

DSC_1097.JPG.768d396acc0edb95d7259b02920fec67.JPG

First on the side where the bones are smaller, then on the other side. We add 2 roughly cutted onions and carrots and let them rost for around 5mins before adding a glass of vine.

DSC_1100.JPG.f9ff855a588995c32feeee0d62141d15.JPG

We let the vine now reduce a little bit before adding bouillon (as much as needed so that they are not completely covered). They're no cooked for around 1h30mins at 150°C and the last 30mins at 200°C in the oven (use the liquid to 'moisten' them every 15min). 

Knöpfli:

We mix 500g flour with 300mL milk (or 150 milk 150 water), 3 eggs a bit of salt (one teaspoon) and if you like a bit of nutmeg. As soon as it is well mixed we let it rest for 30mins.

A big pan is filled with water and heated up until it boils. The knöpfli dough is then pressed through a 'perforated sieve' (there are special ones for 'Knöpfli' but mine comes from a steam cooking set and works also well :lol:).

DSC_1106.JPG.39c43f85dae1518b1a00f711ed50c609.JPG

as soon as they swimm (normally immediately), they can be skimmed wit a normal sieve and collected. If you want you can roast them now in butter and add some roasted onions on top but it also works well without, or as I do add cheese on top. Similar you can add some honey on top of the 'haxen' for the last 5-10minutes for a nice crust (I guess the germans adding Soda in the end for the crust, maybe the Bavarians here knowing it? :ph34r:).  

In the end, it should look somehow like that:

DSC_1109.JPG.72976e683024e399bd30c2e2590b6167.JPG

Things you need (for ~4 persons):

• 2 onions
  • 2 carrots
  • 4 haxen
  • 500g flour
  • 3 eggs
  • 300mL milk
  • a glass vine, a bit of bouillon, salt, oil (butter)

1 minute ago, tkaiser said:

Delicious taste, bad 'look&feel'. Never did them again ;)

well.. your pictures look better than mine.. Cause no woman ever tried haxe here I don't care that much.. And for the 'feel' part, it can depend on the flour you use.. You can mostly fix it.. e.g. let them cook a bit longer in water and/or roast them with butter for 2-3 min after its..  But the mess you've to clean after its.. different story (keep the parts you used wet helps..)

and from:

6 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

Just had a look

I expect at least on recipe from you too... :lol:

BTW: Haxe is also delicious could as meat in a sandwich (together with mayonnaise mixed a bit of the sauce you get from cooking and some freshly cutted onions, and some tomatoes). 

11 minutes ago, chwe said:

I expect at least on recipe from you too... 

Sorry, 'recipes are just an inspiration' ;)  I only follow them when it's about making dough. And then I totally lack English kitchen vocabulary (only fluent in German, Italian and a bit French in this area) and it won't get better than http://kaiser-edv.de/tmp/senigallia/Sabato.html anyway...

Does my 'kitchen vocabulary' sound fluent? Well not really.. :lol: For the recipes.. that's mostly a 2 or 3 liner in my 'private' lab-notebook e.g.

4 Haxen 2 Zwiebeln 2 Karotten + 300mL Wein  + Bouillon --1.5h/150--0.5h/200-> feucht halten, am ende mit Honig glasieren
500g Mehl + 300mL Milch + 3 Eier + Salz/Muskat --30'-> portionenweise Kochen (Lochsieb nicht heiss werden lassen!) --> in Butter schwenken

documentation during daily work needs 10-20% of my time (e.g. like this one: http://www.orgsyn.org/Content/pdfs/procedures/v95p0218.pdf).. So at home I'm not that motivated to do the same.. So you've no excuse.. :D :ph34r:

Ha thanks @chwe, I think... 

I am familiar with ham hock.  My uncles actually eat the feet pickled.  I never acquired a taste for that...

For an unintentionally American meal (I did not know Chwe would actually start this thread):

I smoked a lean flat cut roast today (beef).  Last night I did a dry rub of pepper/salt/cumin/oregano/garlic/onion, then rolled the roast and tied it with string (cotton of course, don't poison yourselves)  I put that in a bag with Worcestershire sauce overnight.

This morning (6:00) I fired my charcoal grill with a decent amount of oak lump and raw oak for smoking, got the temperature stable to 95 C (~7:30, one must be patient) and put the roast in there in a glass baking dish large enough for it and it's resulting juices.  Smoked it for 8 hours.  Brilliant!

17a7cf3d61ee5487317d56f9d043f8aa.jpg

Served with mashed Potatoes.  Substitute for whatever you prefer, but something potato and maybe some beans.  The "Drippings" as they're called were used to top the potatos. (If they are too concentrated, they can be diluted with water and used to make gravy)

Slow-roasting meats and barbecue are a Southern US thing, the Northerners just copy it.  :lol:  They apparently got tired of their pot roasts and boiled vegetables... This particular endeavor had no recipe other than the rub I used, and it came out with a steak-like consistency and a ton of good flavor.  Very tender, but still needed the knife, so the structure of the meat wasn't destroyed.

1 hour ago, tkaiser said:
recipes are just an inspiration

Yes.  I also like to accept "challenges" from my wife when she says "there is nothing in this house to eat".  I then make something using whatever is laying around.  This time of year, with my garden, there is a lot involving tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers.  I don't take pictures of the plate, though, so no fancy images like tkaiser  ;)

22 minutes ago, chwe said:

Maybe carrot cake? :lol:

My mother makes excellent carrot cake.  (That's not fair though, her ancestors were from the southwest area of Germany and Switzerland.  Some as "recently" as 2 generations.  :lol: )

I had some grits for breakfast, they're basically the corn version of mashed potatoes, you cook it like rice.  Add butter and salt, hotsauce and cheese as you like.  Some crazy people use maple syrup or sugar.