1 1
balbes150

Armbian for Khadas EDGE and EDGE-V(im) (RK3399)

Recommended Posts

Just received the Magicsee N6.

Fired it up and WOW, the smoothest android I've seen so far.

Let's run Armbian and see.

 

update: Installed Armbian_5.77_Rk3399-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.154_desktop_20190331 with rk3399-magicsee-n6-max.dtb

Everything works except bluetooth, desktop nice and fluid

Full-screen video smooth, cpu temp in the 80's

Looking good so far :thumbup: let's try NEXT...no magicsee-n6-max.dtb in the image?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, amirul said:

let's try NEXT...no magicsee-n6-max.dtb in the image?

NEXT uses 5.1 mainline kernel which does not have dtb for any TV box, I believe. You'll have to write your own dts (device tree source) file, and compile it to a dtb.

Or you can send a MagicSee N6 Max to Oleg and ask him to write one! :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, amirul said:

Full-screen video smooth, cpu temp in the 80's

I recommend adding a fan. It's easy to add (this is one of the reasons I paid attention to this model). :) The body already has a ready-made large hole. It is necessary to disassemble the body and remove the plug and can be easily placed on top of the fan size 90*90 with USB connection. If you use a smaller fan, you can leave the plug and make a hole of the desired size over the radiator.

 

22 hours ago, amirul said:

Everything works except bluetooth,

Check for firmware. Libreelec runs all the hardware. Only the shutdown does not work (the system restarts).

 

22 hours ago, amirul said:

et's try NEXT...no magicsee-n6-max.dtb in the image? 

I didn't check. Try dtb from other models.

 

28 minutes ago, AndrewDB said:

NEXT uses 5.1 mainline kernel which does not have dtb for any TV box,

The core has basic support for Khadas EDGE (the site has an image). I have a full XFCE desktop running on EDGE (no wifi and BT and sound only). :)

 

30 minutes ago, AndrewDB said:

Or you can send a MagicSee N6 Max to Oleg and ask him to write one! 

I have long been there, so @amirul was able to run Armbian. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take all comments under advisement and go thru each dtb and report back which ones boot :)

 

Update: No dtb boots. Now when I go back to the working card, lightdm starts in 720p. After logging in can change to 1920x1080. Maybe it is this TV, I'll check with the other TV later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, amirul said:

lightdm starts in 720p. After logging in can change to 1920x1080. Maybe it is this TV, I'll check with the other TV later. 

It is a feature of the start of the kernel on the N6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

It is a feature of the start of the kernel on the N6.

I see. Next login after setting desktop to 1920x1080, I'm getting a black screen. Desktop only shows up after ctl-alt F1 then back to ctrl-alt F7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, amirul said:

I see. Next login after setting desktop to 1920x1080, I'm getting a black screen. Desktop only shows up after ctl-alt F1 then back to ctrl-alt F7

... or you need to wait , or move the mouse ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

... or you need to wait , or move the mouse ....

Ok then. Now are there any improvements if I go with the media testing scripts? The current desktop performance is already satisfactory to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, amirul said:

Ok then. Now are there any improvements if I go with the media testing scripts? The current desktop performance is already satisfactory to me.

Yes, after installing the media script will be available full-screen video 4K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2019 at 1:21 PM, balbes150 said:

Yes, after installing the media script will be available full-screen video 4K.

After media script turns out that modesetting without accel is the best for my desktop use, which is what I started out with stock. Oh well...

ps. that's weird, with compositing no desktop icons

 

update: after trying and failing to get the desktop icons back, decided to start from scratch, reimage the sdcard. Think I'll stick with the non-hw assisted desktop for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are some benchmarks I ran on the TV boxes, baselined against an Intel J3355. Pinch of salt not included.

 

sysbench cpu --cpu-max-prime=20000 run
Events per sec
s912:    196.90
rk3328: 256.93
s905:    303.61
rk3399:    703.67
j3355:    475.65

 

sysbench cpu --num-threads=<max cores> --cpu-max-prime=20000 run
s912:    1896.08 /8: 237.01
rk3328:    1013.01 /4: 253.25
rk3399:    2482.69 /6: 413.78
j3355:    784.07  /2: 392.04

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

rk3399 without redesigning the cooling system ?

 

See the threads about media script 3399 3328 and there was information about how to configure them to operate the icons on the desktop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

rk3399 without redesigning the cooling system ?

Yes, running with no extra cooling. Unless htop is lying to me, I've only seen cpu temps in the 80's so far.

24 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

See the threads about media script 3399 3328 and there was information about how to configure them to operate the icons on the desktop.

Yes I get the icons back if I turn off compositing but I've grown attached to my drop-shadows and transparency effects :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, amirul said:

Yes, running with no extra cooling. Unless htop is lying to me, I've only seen cpu temps in the 80's so far.

Be sure to redo the cooling system. Your rk3399 is choking and only works on 1\3 of its capabilities. 80 degrees - this is a cutoff (when this temperature is reached, the processor turns on the trottling).

 

1 hour ago, amirul said:

Yes I get the icons back if I turn off compositing but I've grown attached to my drop-shadows and transparency effects :)

If I'm not confused, I read that you can enable the composite and it works with other settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 7:22 AM, balbes150 said:

Be sure to redo the cooling system. Your rk3399 is choking and only works on 1\3 of its capabilities. 80 degrees - this is a cutoff (when this temperature is reached, the processor turns on the trottling).

I might be wrong, but as I understand it when throttling the cpu frequencies should be limited to a lower level. From the screenshot, that doesn't happen. Am I missing something?

On 4/12/2019 at 7:22 AM, balbes150 said:

If I'm not confused, I read that you can enable the composite and it works with other settings.

What I see is

compositing on -> no desktop icons (there are still there but invisible. Clicking on where they should be still works)

compositing off -> icons appear normally

Screenshot_2019-04-13_08-47-49.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, amirul said:

I might be wrong, but as I understand it when throttling the cpu frequencies should be limited to a lower level. From the screenshot, that doesn't happen. Am I missing something? 

Implementation of protection can be different. The General principle is to avoid performance degradation, keep the system at a temperature knowingly below the point of limitation. For rk33xx I recommend not to exceed 70 degrees. It is desirable at any loads to have a temperature of not more than 20-30 degrees, relative to the environment. This ensures minimal problems with thermal expansion (metals and PCB have different thermal expansion coefficients). The smaller the temperature difference during operation and shutdown, the less problems with operation.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screenshot_2019-04-15_01-17-16.png.a53347db3f6666f501ebf30c8d67cd78.png

Something odd going on, with resolution set to 1920x1080, Thunar and a few other apps goes to 1280x720. Any ideas?

Logging out & in clears it up. I suspect the display default is set or detected at 1280x720 but I haven't managed to locate where that setting is at yet.

 

update: turns out its the custom dpi setting from Settings->Appearance->Fonts that is causing it. Turn it off and everything seems fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, amirul said:

I suspect the display default is set or detected at 1280x720 but I haven't managed to locate where that setting is at yet.

Settings->Display

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Settings->Display

Settings->Display is set to 1920x1080 but when TV is turned off then back on, it drops to 1280x720

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2019 at 1:49 PM, balbes150 said:

New image Armbian 5.82 and Libreelec 20190427.

After running the default image for some time, got round to looking at NEXT

NEXT no go for me coz magicsee-n6-max dtb is missing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

New image Armbian 5.86 and LibreELEC for Khadas EDGE :)

What is the difference between 5.86 and 5.86_20190517?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
On 5/17/2019 at 2:25 PM, balbes150 said:

update kernel

Understood. Installed 5.86_20190517 on sdcard magicsee-n6-max. Everything works well except bluetooth :thumbup:

 

NEXT image, no dtb for magicsee :(

Edited by amirul
update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
1 1