2 2
balbes150

Armbian for RK3399

On 9/21/2019 at 5:39 PM, amirul said:

Magicsee N6 Max stable with 

I checked the system startup from USB to N6, everything starts and works. :)

To start you need to use the USB port which is to the right of the microSD card.

On EDGE, I checked the installation of new Armbian and LE versions in eMMC (with USB startup support). Everything works. :) Now I have a stable version of LE in eMMC and I can quickly and easily check new versions of Armbian and LE using regular cheap USB flash drives. I no longer need to look for many different SD cards (and having a card reader on a PC to write to) to quickly test different systems. :)

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

I checked the system startup from USB to N6, everything starts and works. :)

To start you need to use the USB port which is to the right of the microSD card.

Armbian_5.98_Rk3399-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_next_5.4.0-rc2-next-20191009_desktop runs from sdcard on the N6 - no wifi though

@balbes150 
I've tried with next bionic desktop and default bionic desktop. Both on an sd-card, but used a usb3 sd-card reader for one.  Changed the background to see the difference.
On the RockPi4. Both images work(hdmi works, no wifi in default). When having default in the RockPi4 it always boots the default, no matter where I put the sd-card reader with next.
With next in the rockpi4 and the sd-card reader in the bottom left usb3 port nothing seems to boot. The sd-reader turns on and flashes(doesn't do that in other ports). It doesn't seem to boot, display doesn't turn on. Flashing of sd-card reader stops after a few seconds, led stays on. 

With the NanoPi M4V2 there's no .dtb file for the NanoPi M4(also not in Buster) in default. I've copied the one from NEXT. It seems to boot, but without hdmi(as that other person said in the M4V2 thread). 
So I had the same behaviour as with the RockPi4. Only with next it seemed to boot from the sd-card reader. It even kept flashing as if it was booted. But since hdmi doesn't work on the default image I'm now not sure if it booted or just was stuck like the RockPi4.
I also tried with LE on the M4V2. That didn't boot into KODI. It did it reseize, rebooted. But stayed at the screen of just enough os for kodi without going further. 
That also didn't seem to boot from USB. And also with LE in the M4V2 it didn't boot Armbian from USB. 

I hope you're something with this information. It only made me more confused the longer I tried. 
Great job. Very cool to be able to run from USB. And also great to be able to use the same image on different boards. You make the compatibillity so much better with this. Cheers.

I installed the latest version of LE (kernel 4.4 and KODI-19)  in eMMC on N6 (WiFi BT works) and can now easily run all test systems from USB media. :)

11 hours ago, NicoD said:

I've tried with next bionic desktop and default bionic desktop.

For a proper test run from USB, using an SD card, you need to have two different systems (Armbian and LE). For example, on an Armbian SD card, and on a LE USB drive. If you try to run two identical Armbian systems on both media (it doesn't matter that there will be different versions) it doesn't work correctly. Or you need to manually change the labels of BOOT and ROOTFS partitions on the SD card to others. Or use on SD card LE, and on USB you can record Armbian.

13 hours ago, balbes150 said:

For a proper test run from USB, using an SD card, you need to have two different systems (Armbian and LE).

Tried again with the RockPi4 with LE (kernel 4&5) and armbian next. Doesn't seem to boot from USB. with either Armbian or LE. 
LE kernel 5 also doesn't work on the RockPi4. Doesn't boot into Kodi. Kernel 4 seems to work fine. Again no Nanopi M4 .dtb there.

amirul@rk3399:~$ uname -r
5.4.0-rc2-next-20191009-rk3399-tv
amirul@rk3399:~$ lsmod |grep ^panfrost
panfrost               53248  0

Is panfrost usable?

Armbian (5.98_20191018) and Libreelec KODI-19 (kernel 4) 20191018 images update for rk3399 platform with USB startup support. Important change. When testing these images on Magicsee N6 Max (rk3399) and MVR (rk3328) I found an interesting nuance. If you install one of the versions of Armbian or Libreelec in eMMC of these models with support for launching from USB, you can write to a USB flash drive any version of the image for rk3399 or rk3328 and use it on both platforms (on TV boxes with rk3399 and rk3328 at the same time). I. e. the image from rk3399 can be run on rk3328 and Vice versa (you only need to correctly specify the desired DTB in the settings). :)

p.s. On Magicsee N6 Max running from USB works on both USB 2.0 ports (on the left side of the TV box).

4 hours ago, balbes150 said:

If you install one of the versions of Armbian or Libreelec in eMMC

Just to be sure, we have to use install.sh script to do that?

53 minutes ago, jeanrhum said:

Just to be sure, we have to use install.sh script to do that?

The system update is necessary for those cases when armbian or Libreelec is already used in eMMC. A new installation will update u-boot with USB startup support. For those who saved Android in eMMC and use the main system from SD card, installation in eMMC is not necessary, USB startup will work with SD card (with new images).