Armbian for RK3399

balbes150

To start the system enough to download, unzip, burn the image to the SD card. Connect the SD card to the EDGE and turn the power on.

The system starts automatically. Details on the initial setup of the running system can be found in these topics.

https://yadi.sk/d/ie_dx5x_w2xUIQ

https://mega.nz/#F!n1hihSKT!8kYublAPG4RtwSIBihOkVg

I got my EDGE this weekend. And in the coming days plans to start assembling and testing Armbian for Khadas EDGE. :)

By the way, according to Robert, this model plays well videos up to 4K on Ubuntu from Youtube.

https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/rockchip-based-tv-players/rk3399-devices/733786-edge-rk3399-by-khadas-for-those-that-like-to-tinker?p=750851#post750851

Good news. I'm managed to find a variant of u-boot with which can run Linux from external media on EDGE. This is the important step for creating Armbian and other systems for Khadas EDGE.  :)

There are images from Ubuntu to write to eMMC and to run from external media. I tried a quick test image with LXDE, and it works. I recorded the image to an SD card, connected it to Khadas EDGE and when I turned on the power, the system started automatically. You do not need any manipulation with multi-boot, it is already by default, when you disable the SD card , automatically starts the regular Android from eMMC.  I tried the combined version of the launch LE, the system starts, but while the KODI interface does not start, there is something to work on ....  :)

Good news.

New image with kernel 4.20 for Khadas EDGE, which is built using the official git Linux Next.

It has HDMI, USB, SD and wired network.

Thus, it is a full-fledged basic system. :)

hmmm

Added version "4.19.0-dev", it is built using the source code "ayufan". Video playback in it significantly slows down compared to the version collected from the official sources of Next Linux.

I tried running the latest versions of LE with " rk3399-khadas-captain-linux.dtb" (I took dtb from Armbian) Khadas EDGE on SD card. The system starts normally and works, you can watch the video, but there is no sound (no audio devices available).
By the way, the interface and video in 4K works without brakes and lags. :)

p.s.

Today I got the M2 SSD module. The following tests will be related to checking the installation and operation of the system in full mode with M2 (as a normal PC). :)

How can add your own version of any fan on EDGE + Captain (and edge or edgev). In this case, the fan works immediately when the EDGE power is turned on and does not depend on the availability of support in the system being started. that is, you can have a working cooling system on any system.

https://forum.khadas.com/t/vim-vim2-edge-case-fan/231/18?u=balbes150

New version of Armbian 20181225. Updated kernel. Added the procedure for installing to eMMC. Once installed on eMMC, the system works with eMMC as a normal SSD\HDD and can perform partition operations as a normal system.

The results of using a media script on Khadas EDGE to enable full-screen video playback in different modes. The overall conclusion - the script adds all required and allows for Khadas EDGE to fully complete solution for working in Armbian.   :)

Built a new Armbian image 5.77 20190331 kernel 4.4 with PCIe NVME support (added patch and changed dtb which is used by default to edge+Captain version). Module EVO-970 now can be seen immediately in the system and can work with it as with usual drive. The speed of NVME is impressive. :)

All components work (WiFi, BT, wired network, sound, etc.). After installing the media script - any video in full screen with any resolution up to 4K.

3 hours ago, amirul said:

I have a Magicsee N6 Max on order. Looking forward to try out your work

One secret. :)

From today (01 04 2019) opens a pre-order for a unique set. It consists of EDGE-V-M + heatsinc + fan + case + power supply + remote control = $ 99. Offer is limited. Details about EDGE-V-M (RK3399). This is a new modification with unique features that will allow you to use this model as a TV box with Android or LibreELEC. Or Armbian mode full miniPC with DE or as a server. Or as a multi-functional device in 3-in-one mode (Android + LibreELEC + Armbian or other Linux variant). :)

53 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

One secret. :)

From today (01 04 2019) opens a pre-order for a unique set. It consists of EDGE-V-M + heatsinc + fan + case + power supply + remote control = $ 99. Offer is limited. Details about EDGE-V-M (RK3399). This is a new modification with unique features that will allow you to use this model as a TV box with Android or LibreELEC. Or Armbian mode full miniPC with DE or as a server. Or as a multi-functional device in 3-in-one mode (Android + LibreELEC + Armbian or other Linux variant). :)

Can't seem to find this in the shop. A link would be nice :)

14 minutes ago, amirul said:

Thanks. As I understand it, per-ordering is via the forum. Went back to the shop to try and figure out what the bundle would look like and boy, it's complicated to navigate the site. I'm still none the wiser 

Two options Basic 2GB RAM and Pro 4GB RAM are available for now. The remaining components of the kit are compatible with these models. :)

Just received the Magicsee N6.

Fired it up and WOW, the smoothest android I've seen so far.

Let's run Armbian and see.

update: Installed Armbian_5.77_Rk3399-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.154_desktop_20190331 with rk3399-magicsee-n6-max.dtb

Everything works except bluetooth, desktop nice and fluid

Full-screen video smooth, cpu temp in the 80's

Looking good so far :thumbup: let's try NEXT...no magicsee-n6-max.dtb in the image?

21 hours ago, amirul said:

let's try NEXT...no magicsee-n6-max.dtb in the image?

NEXT uses 5.1 mainline kernel which does not have dtb for any TV box, I believe. You'll have to write your own dts (device tree source) file, and compile it to a dtb.

Or you can send a MagicSee N6 Max to Oleg and ask him to write one! :thumbup:

21 hours ago, amirul said:

Full-screen video smooth, cpu temp in the 80's

I recommend adding a fan. It's easy to add (this is one of the reasons I paid attention to this model). :) The body already has a ready-made large hole. It is necessary to disassemble the body and remove the plug and can be easily placed on top of the fan size 90*90 with USB connection. If you use a smaller fan, you can leave the plug and make a hole of the desired size over the radiator.

22 hours ago, amirul said:

Everything works except bluetooth,

Check for firmware. Libreelec runs all the hardware. Only the shutdown does not work (the system restarts).

22 hours ago, amirul said:

et's try NEXT...no magicsee-n6-max.dtb in the image? 

I didn't check. Try dtb from other models.

28 minutes ago, AndrewDB said:

NEXT uses 5.1 mainline kernel which does not have dtb for any TV box,

The core has basic support for Khadas EDGE (the site has an image). I have a full XFCE desktop running on EDGE (no wifi and BT and sound only). :)

30 minutes ago, AndrewDB said:

Or you can send a MagicSee N6 Max to Oleg and ask him to write one! 

I have long been there, so @amirul was able to run Armbian. :)